Starting June 1st - First Whole30

JennSeitzer

• Replies 691
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just re-reading some of the posts and feeling things coming together for me. I really identify with Tytbody's feeling of sadness at the loss of enjoyment of food. It's not fun anymore. But then hearing Strava's ideas and thinking that maybe that's the point. Food should NOT equal fun. Not that food shouldn't be delicious and appetizing, but it's not supposed to make me feel joyful, or happy, or excited. Laughing with my husband over something totally inappropriate should make me feel joyful. Reading with my kids should make me feel happy. Exploring a new place should make me feel excited. And they do, but I'm beginning to think that FOOD (especially "bad" food) started to take over, to the point where those life experiences just couldn't compete. And that, I think, is the real sadness.

So as wretched as this sometimes feels, I think this is good. I think this sadness/boredom is what precedes the discovery of awesome new things to provide that sense of joy/happiness/excitement. Sort of like when you go somewhere and there is no television/internet/whateveritisyouusuallydo. At first you are so BORED you think you might go insane. But you don't. And after a while you begin noticing other stuff that is really interesting and fun. And pretty soon you are really enjoying yourself, and the tv/internet/whatever is forgotten. And if you live that way for long enough, eventually you get to the point where even if tv/etc. becomes an option, you would rather NOT choose it, because the other things you have discovered are much better.

Anyways, that is what I am hoping this is. It's not really about food. It's about LIFE.

Wow there are some powerful posts in here tonight. After reading what Stravajunkie and JT had to post I had my own light bulb moment. I know I mentioned before that prior to my cancer diagnosis I had been eating mostly Whole 30 (whole foods and healthy choices) for 6 months or so. I ask myself now why did I let those habits go so quickly. I know I ate because I was having a "pity" party. I know I felt like "hey you deserve to eat what ever you want" and I know I had many enablers who also told me not to worry about eating sweets and treats. And I let it continue until after the last treatment when I realized I was feeling like crap and it probably wasn't the cancer, the chemo, or the radiation but it was the junk I was stuffing myself with. So I point this out now because there will be more times in my life when things get tough. I hope I won't have to fight cancer again, but I am sure there will those moments that will make me feel like I "deserve a treat".  Now that I recognize I have been letting this happen I hope I can finally break the cycle and never turn to food for any kind of comfort in the future. 

Oh my word!  I just had the best breakfast ever!  A leftover salmon cake topped with spicy guac and a fried egg.  It was so delicious!  I'm now sitting here munching a plate full of spring mix to get more veggies in but that salmon cake was amazing.  Kick boring food to the curb.

Susabella and JT more wise words, thank you!  

I stopped at Meijer after dropping my daughter off at work to get some La Croix, I haven't had any in years.  I liked it when I had it before but it caused me to have terrible gas.  I hope it was just the flavor and a different one will be a refreshing drink without side effects.  If I can't drink it, my kids will so no loss.  Anyway, I walked past a big candy display and wasn't even tempted at all!  That is huge for me.  I wish I could say the same for the wonderful smells coming from the bakery but hopefully, that will come with 2 more weeks of Whole30 under my belt.  

Day 16, I can't believe we are past the halfway mark already.  Have a great day everyone!

but I am sure there will those moments that will make me feel like I "deserve a treat".  Now that I recognize I have been letting this happen I hope I can finally break the cycle and never turn to food for any kind of comfort in the future. 

Everyone has something they use for a *treat* my girlfriends is buying clothing. She still has clothing in her closet with Price tags on it..   

Oh my word!  I just had the best breakfast ever!  A leftover salmon cake topped with spicy guac and a fried egg.  It was so delicious!

I'll have to remember this next time I have some left over Salmon Cakes..    

I had a wonderful *to me*  meal 1 also..   

I had the what they call Frittata that I thought was a Western that turned into both, or eggs with veggies. 

Had the eggs, Green peppers, Spinach, Onions and Tomato..  Boy, I never would have touch such a concoction before W30..   

I think what we all needed was this group of People.  i've never committed to something like this, that i can remember except a 3 day juice challenge. Boy that was much much harder.   I worried about that because I didn't think I was getting enough nutrients and there was no guide as to what would go into a Juice to make it balanced..    I won't do that again..     I do remember it did make me think more about food. and that for sure made me angry. 

Feeling better today. .So glad I made it..   

Looking forward to my Zucchini Spaghetti later on.   

You know, I watch these shows like the Biggest Loser, My big fat Fabulous live and Extreme weight loss.  All they concentrate on is Exercise..  

Why get we get a whole 30 show where people change their lives with Food instead of people quitting their jobs to go to Ireland because they need to spend all that time in the gym..   ???  that's nuts...    now that's a life dedicated to exercise but they never ever ever show you what they are eating..   

I'm just going to say, I feel no more GERD.. I really really believe, food was my problem.  But how am I going to find out which one? or few? 

I haven't had to take a TUMS since starting. I haven't had to sit up in bed and wait.. and it just does feel good in my stomach now. 

Two bad this is all going to have to start again when I have surgery.. I can't even eat the night before.  Just liquids:(  

but.. Gotta do whatcha Gotta Do and my husband is not going to cook for me. so...  it's going to be shot to moon..  

I just wonder how one bite of something not on plan effects you... Anyone want to admit doing it.   oh yes the person that drank a sip of soda instead of water..  Did it make a differernce that quick? 

To the person that has done this before,  what happens on the Reintroduction phase..   If that's in my books, maybe you can just inform me please of what page it's on.. I have both books... 

Hey guys,   

Hope everyone has a smile on their face today.     My reporter is going to say we are at 50%  I hope..  lol  

any way.. I'm just going to do this for how ever long..   

I think part of my somber mood is the fact, I'm heading into surgery. when done. I expect to pick up where I left off and keep going..   Maybe we can then form a keep going group.. 

but today,,I made a new recipe..The sauce on page 324 and I added Grass fed beef..  then I poured it over my Steamed Zucchini..   I'm a believer. yes, I am... (to the tone of the beetles.. I'm a believer)   

the recipe is wonderful..  No reason to make spaghetti sauce any other way.. I loved the veggies in there and I can't believe it had no sugar in there.. I always put sugar in my Spaghetti sauce..  Not any more.. I sold..  

I've had Zucchini bread before and loved it.. but I have yet to have a zucchini as a vegetable that I just wanted to dive into..   

well, now..it's on my list to buy..   

Not sure if I steamed it too much, but I drained it on a paper towel to get the excess water off .

No grated Cheese....  wow..  thats a win.. 

so . ya, make the spaghetti sauce and Zucchini.. DELICIOUS.   oh and yes, I had ½ avocado..   !!!!!!  :o

I Wish I had another Zucchini to eat for my third meal..  

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

I'm not getting in enough water and I'm not exercising..  I can work on the water but the exercise,,  Blah..  and I love Kettlebells..  

Tytbody - the reintroduction phase is detailed in the Whole30 book, and hopefully that will help you identify what is causing your GERD. Basically you eat a single food (like corn, or beans, etc.) - just have a small portion - and then wait a few days to see what happens. If nothing happens, then you know that you can handle that food, and you move on to the next food.

As for the "0 warning points" I saw that on mine too. Dunno - maybe they just added it to everyone's profile, along with the number of posts you have made?

Did you steam your zucchini noodles? If so that might be why they were mushy. I really don't cook mine at all - just toss them in the heated sauce for a few minutes, and that cooks them just a touch. Maybe try that next time? The sauce you made sounds delicious - I'll have to try it!

Warning Points I believe if you have been reported for putting up a post that offended someone or for foul language, etc.

Today my plan was to bring leftover dinner for my lunch.  I left it in the fridge which ended up being a good thing because I got out of work late and didn't want to cook so I had if for dinner.  Today went well, I saw the reintroduction chatter and started looking at that.  Yikes, it just might be easier to stay on the Whole 30!

The 5k training schedule is out and the first practice is June 30, poetic I think.

I just wonder how one bite of something not on plan effects you... Anyone want to admit doing it. oh yes the person that drank a sip of soda instead of water.. Did it make a differernce that quick?

That was me. It was on day 4 so hard to tell. I did crave more that day, but probably just a mental thing. I was not far enough in to see if it caused tiredness or pain or something. I would expect to notice more if it happened now because I know sugar is one of my sensitivities.

Tytbody I have done this twice before - the first time I didn't do a "proper" reintroduction, It started all right but being impatient I didn't add one food at time. I also didn't go completely off the rails, I would have a yogurt or oatmeal for breakfast, put milk in my coffee when I was drinking it on the go. Starting adding back cheese, ate corn, etc.Even had an occasional slice of pizza or dish of ice cream.  I didn't feel any different and actually continued to feel great but guilt got the better of me and I really wanted to try again and get it right. So after taking a month off from a strict whole 30 I did another one. At the end of my second one I did a proper reintroduction and basically found out that no foods when eaten in the proper quantity really bothered me in the sense that I didn't feel sick or have any changes in mood or energy levels. I discovered that processed food made me feel horrible. Low energy, crabby, bloated etc... and I discovered that bread was a trigger, something that was hard for me to put the breaks on so I would only have that on very rare occasions. So I continued to eat based on what I learned during whole 30. I did add back all the food groups, but not processed food and limited my bread. I've said it before, I ate like that for 6 months, 2 of those months were a strict whole 30 the other 4 I ate everything in moderation as long as it was whole food. No fast food, no junk food and for me I was mindful of my bread intake. And honestly I never felt better and I know I would have continued on that path but things changed when I was diagnosed with Cancer. I tried to do a whole 30 during chemo and radiation, but I didn't make it. And as soon as radiation was over and I knew it was time to focus on feeling better I went right back to Whole 30 - and that's the beauty of this. You learn, you make it work for you -  like Melissa says you ride your own bike, and when you get derailed you can always go back to being strict if you need a reset. 

Another thought I would like to add to my above post, is that no two people will experience the same thing. This is not a one size fits all type of plan. This is really about how your body reacts to certain foods and how it makes you feel. For me it was life changing, but I don't think of it as a "quick fix" - it's ongoing and even if we derail from time to time because of a little thing called life - it's something we can come back to when the time is right. 

Happy Friday Everyone!

Tytbody I have done this twice before - the first time I didn't do a "proper" reintroduction, It started all right but being impatient I didn't add one food at time. I also didn't go completely off the rails, I would have a yogurt or oatmeal for breakfast, put milk in my coffee when I was drinking it on the go. Starting adding back cheese, ate corn, etc.Even had an occasional slice of pizza or dish of ice cream.  I didn't feel any different and actually continued to feel great but guilt got the better of me and I really wanted to try again and get it right. So after taking a month off from a strict whole 30 I did another one. At the end of my second one I did a proper reintroduction and basically found out that no foods when eaten in the proper quantity really bothered me in the sense that I didn't feel sick or have any changes in mood or energy levels. I discovered that processed food made me feel horrible. Low energy, crabby, bloated etc... and I discovered that bread was a trigger, something that was hard for me to put the breaks on so I would only have that on very rare occasions. So I continued to eat based on what I learned during whole 30. I did add back all the food groups, but not processed food and limited my bread. I've said it before, I ate like that for 6 months, 2 of those months were a strict whole 30 the other 4 I ate everything in moderation as long as it was whole food. No fast food, no junk food and for me I was mindful of my bread intake. And honestly I never felt better and I know I would have continued on that path but things changed when I was diagnosed with Cancer. I tried to do a whole 30 during chemo and radiation, but I didn't make it. And as soon as radiation was over and I knew it was time to focus on feeling better I went right back to Whole 30 - and that's the beauty of this. You learn, you make it work for you -  like Melissa says you ride your own bike, and when you get derailed you can always go back to being strict if you need a reset. 

it sounds like you added back in the foods too soon or too many at a time to diagnose your feelings. 

I was under the impression also that eating whole food while a diagnosed disease would help it.. I thought not good for you foods also caused the inflammation or keeps it flared up. ;

why when you got diagnosed you thought those other foods were good for you? 

Yes that is the question Why? I think for me the diagnosis of cancer was so scary, and then the double mastectomy, then the hair loss and all the other horrible things that come with having cancer it was just a way of dealing with it. Ice cream tasted good. There were days I couldn't eat and days I only wanted fruit. And when my stomach was upset Breads tasted good. There wasn't always time for cooking so hello delivery man, still had a family to worry about. Friends brought food, but mostly things like pasta, lasagna, macs and cheese etc. And then they tell you not to eat a lot of anti oxidants because the chemo is attracted to anti-oxidents and if you have too many in your system the chemo will go for that and not your cancer. 

So yeah I derailed... but I will say this I know for a fact that being in the good state of health that I was in at the beginning played a hugh part in making my recovery smooth. I bounced back quick from surgery but thru the 16 weeks of chemo and then 6 weeks or radiation did I have some pity parties - yes I did. But the takeaway is I didn't like the way I was starting to feel, so here I am again, resetting and getting back into good health. I have more surgeries ahead and I want to be as healthy as I can be going into them. 

Hey guys, just catching up on a couple of pages of reading!  I made it through the cupcake/mocktail party yesterday but with my schedule trying to juggle in all the baking and decorating and planning ate up any time I had to check in so I'm just now getting through the last couple day's worth of posts.  I wish I had more time to comment because there were a lot of fantastic thoughts in there.  I think this has definitely been one of the most postive and determined groups I've joined in the last year. 

I didn't run into too many temptations, even working with some seriously non-compliant food stuffs yesterday but I'm struggling a bit with putting together my meal plan for next week.  I've got ideas, I just can't seem to settle on anything.  I spotted a few links a couple days ago that I wanted to look at more closely so I'm off to track those down and see if they flesh out next week's grocery list a little better. 

So very happy to see so many of you pushing past the half-way mark! 

I love hearing how everyone is doing - we are each on our own journey, but it's nice to know you are alone. I was making dinner tonight: meatballs, spaghetti squash, garlic cabbage, and my husband came in and sweetly said "Are you rediscovering your love of cooking?". And I thought "No. I'm rediscovering why we thought pre-packaged food was such an AWESOME idea. So what if it has a ton of sugar, salt, and ingredients you can't pronounce? You can heat it in the microwave and eat it right out of the package!"

Ah yes, here are the links I was looking for...that idea of garlic cabbage has been dancing in my head for days now and it's even better looking than I thought it would be!  Looking forward to trying this one, but I also really got a kick out of your honesty on what you were really thinking while making it. 

Sooooo many times I've thought that exact same thing, but it's totally a grass is greener thing.  Hand me a microwave dinner and I look at it sadly and think "what happened to real food?"....hand me the real food to make the dinner and I look sadly at the clock and think "what happened to having a life outside the kitchen?"

One of the things I want to work on is making my kitchen a more fun place to be in.  I would love to do another huge clean sweep to clear out things I'm not eating anymore and make my compliant spices and pantry items easier to grab, but it's not just my space at the moment so I don't have the option to do all of the things I would like to do.  It did get me thinking though, for those of us looking for some ways to "treat" ourselves that do not involve food...a kitchen "renovation" might be something to consider.  Make room for some of those kitchen gadgets that are getting more use, reorganize you spices so the complaint ones are front and center (I pulled all of mine and made a sepearate basket so I could grab something ad hoc while cooking and know it was fine to use), even if it's just a little thing here and there it would be indirectly related to what you are doing for yourself right now.  Clean eating + Lean/Pretty/Functional space for prepping for all that clean eating.  So I thought I would also share a recent post that just happens to be on the same blog where I first learned about Whole30 myself.  It's all about reorganzing and streamlining in the kitchen with some pretty inspiration pictures and ideas you could pick and choose from to do a small project for yourself.  And, ah yes, there is the La Croix stash prominantly featured as well.  (Just pardon her on the photo of the jar of pasta, I'm sure it's almond flour based lol!)

http://www.abeautifulmess.com/2016/06/10-organizing-tricks-i-learned-from-the-home-edit.html

Yes that is the question Why? I think for me the diagnosis of cancer was so scary, and then the double mastectomy, then the hair loss and all the other horrible things that come with having cancer it was just a way of dealing with it. Ice cream tasted good. There were days I couldn't eat and days I only wanted fruit. And when my stomach was upset Breads tasted good. There wasn't always time for cooking so hello delivery man, still had a family to worry about. Friends brought food, but mostly things like pasta, lasagna, macs and cheese etc. And then they tell you not to eat a lot of anti oxidants because the chemo is attracted to anti-oxidents and if you have too many in your system the chemo will go for that and not your cancer. 

So yeah I derailed... but I will say this I know for a fact that being in the good state of health that I was in at the beginning played a hugh part in making my recovery smooth. I bounced back quick from surgery but thru the 16 weeks of chemo and then 6 weeks or radiation did I have some pity parties - yes I did. But the takeaway is I didn't like the way I was starting to feel, so here I am again, resetting and getting back into good health. I have more surgeries ahead and I want to be as healthy as I can be going into them. 

it's sad they call them pitty parties.  when it is just getting in touch with your feelings and expressing them..  you hurt and a person deserves that bereavement time.   

Tytbody - the reintroduction phase is detailed in the Whole30 book, and hopefully that will help you identify what is causing your GERD. Basically you eat a single food (like corn, or beans, etc.) - just have a small portion - and then wait a few days to see what happens. If nothing happens, then you know that you can handle that food, and you move on to the next food.

As for the "0 warning points" I saw that on mine too. Dunno - maybe they just added it to everyone's profile, along with the number of posts you have made?

Did you steam your zucchini noodles? If so that might be why they were mushy. I really don't cook mine at all - just toss them in the heated sauce for a few minutes, and that cooks them just a touch. Maybe try that next time? The sauce you made sounds delicious - I'll have to try it!

yes, I did steam them. i made them according to what the book said..  it said steam them in water but i steamed them while the sauce was cooking. I used one of those over the pot baskets.. I still ate it all but I won't do it that way again....  do what you all said and just eat them as is... 

Did I tell you all Salsa and scrambled eggs with spinach and ½ avocado tastes good.. I never had salsa for breakfast......... I still want my bacon...    

I made the sausage according to the book and they are as dry as shoe leather..   dry dry dry..   I rather eat $5.99 /lb bacon.. with 7 strips in the package. 

http://www.abeautifu...-home-edit.html

Crimson, 

I liked the spices all neat. I think I'd have to buy at least 30 bottle..   I have spices and spices to make spices... lol but I'm going to keep this in mind to see if it makes it a lot easier to find..  

Right now I Have a bit of everyones spices there all spread across one shelf.. and still have to slide to the left ... slide to the ride, then criss cross..   to find the one i want..  

and I would have to put little labels for expiration dates on them.. thats something that would be missed after i re-home them...  I'd love one that went on the wall really. 

Hey guys, just catching up on a couple of pages of reading!  I made it through the cupcake/mocktail party yesterday but with my schedule trying to juggle in all the baking and decorating and planning ate up any time I had to check in so I'm just now getting through the last couple day's worth of posts.  I wish I had more time to comment because there were a lot of fantastic thoughts in there.  I think this has definitely been one of the most postive and determined groups I've joined in the last year. 

I didn't run into too many temptations, even working with some seriously non-compliant food stuffs yesterday but I'm struggling a bit with putting together my meal plan for next week.  I've got ideas, I just can't seem to settle on anything.  I spotted a few links a couple days ago that I wanted to look at more closely so I'm off to track those down and see if they flesh out next week's grocery list a little better. 

So very happy to see so many of you pushing past the half-way mark! 

Yea, on getting through the Mock cocktail and cup cakes party..  that must have been fun..  

but it brought you right to your senses didn't it..  this program is making me more cerebral that's for sure..  

It's going to be great when I turn this into a no brainer on what to eat...   thats' going to be exciting.. 

So are we done with all the graduates yet for the month of June.. ???? 

do any of you think this was the best month to start our new Journey in Life? 

how much water is everyone drinking?   

Archived