Starting June 1st - First Whole30

JennSeitzer

Question: I might make some mayo this weekend and I know it calls for light olive oil. I looked quick but it seemed like none of the light olive oils were extra virgin? What are you guys using?

I use avocado oil - tastes great!

• Replies 691
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I need to do some meal planning today.......I'm also starting to feel limited and bored. And for some reason my energy isn't quite where it was these past few days. Blerg.

The weekend is looming large in front of me, full of challenges. Just gotta keep telling myself I can do this. I can do this. I can do this.

See you all on the flip side!! Have a great weekend!

The brand is called Siete. http://sietefoods.com/

There is one version made with coconut/cassava flour and one with almond flour.  They taste like a flour tortilla and a corn tortilla fell in love and had a baby. They're also made with certified pasture-raised lard, so they have a savory bacon finish (this is verbatim from the website.....funny people at Siete).

I've tried them both and prefer the coconut/cassava ones. They are by FAR the best tortillas I've found and eat them regularly when not doing Whole 30 but decided to investigate if they are considered compliant...found a post under "Can I Have...?" on here and a moderator kindly explained if they are not a SWYPO type item, using them sparingly would be ok. That's all I needed to hear!!

if you use them sparingly, I want to know why use them at all.. aren't there enough other things to eat then the ones that *are* sparingly.. I think they are sparingly for a reason..     Just asking...

like the big issue with coffee and cream and neutrals or what ever that new nut thing is they are pouring in coffee...    

Happy Day 10 Everyone, 

Question: I might make some mayo this weekend and I know it calls for light olive oil. I looked quick but it seemed like none of the light olive oils were extra virgin? What are you guys using?

Happy Friday Everyone!!

they are two separate types of olive oil..   different presses on the olives to get the different taste and parts. .

I wish this thing would send you the link you want to reply to instead of the bottom of the thread.. :(  such a PITA too find the post..  

any way there was something about *unhindging* your shoulder to get out of these contraptions us well endowed have to deal with... I buy Enell and never had to buy another one.   Now I don't think that's a good thing that means that stuff hasn't move any where nor doe it have any intention of doing so.. 

• Moderators

Here is the post I was referring to...mods say they are ok.  Its not bread, its a tortilla full of healthy meats and veggies. ???

http://forum.whole30.com/topic/719-coconut-flour-tortillas/

Hey there;

That post is quite old and there have been updates to the Can I have rules since then... you can see this post from Melissa here about why they chose to take off the Pure Wraps and any other wrap made from compliant ingredients.  I will archive that post as it has incorrect information in it.  Please stay away from any 'tortilla' item for the duration of your Whole30.  Vegetables holding food is fine, ingredients made into a wrap/bread/baked good are not fine, regardless of whether the ingredients included are compliant.  Sorry :(

http://whole30.com/2013/12/pure-wraps/

if you use them sparingly, I want to know why use them at all.. aren't there enough other things to eat then the ones that *are* sparingly.. I think they are sparingly for a reason..     Just asking...

like the big issue with coffee and cream and neutrals or what ever that new nut thing is they are pouring in coffee...    

Honestly, I am not a fan of tacos in lettuce cups so would like to use compliant tortillas. I don't eat tacos much, therefore the "sparingly" comment. 

Thanks Sugarcube for clarifying the tortilla thing. 

Happy Friday (or it will be when Katrine tells us she found her kitty---sending good thoughts your way). Job interview lunch went well but had to send my salad back because it came with dressing that I asked not to have. Otherwise I hope there wasn't anything too bad in it. I'll just keep moving along. Going to an Italian restaurant tomorrow night after breakfast out as well. Will be an interesting day foodwise. I seem to be fine when it comes to cravings and seeing what others are having.

Going to grill some meats for the week on Sunday I think. I like the TJ's spicy chicken sausage but think it would be better grilled. Or maybe I'll put them in the oven since it has cooled down a bit. Might make the chili too.

I hope everyone has a good weekend, stays strong and no one else has kitty problems!!

My rosacea has flared terribly again, I'm all bumpy and itchy. Ugh!

Several times today I wanted to eat when I wasn't hungry. Sitting at my desk too long, while waiting for an appointment (that they never showed for after I drove across town in construction traffic), driving past the gas station. I have serious problem of comfort eating, and bordom eating! Thank you Whole30 for helping me kick those habits to the curb!

Dinner ended up being a hamburger on a bed of baby lettuces with pickles and basil olive oil. Yum!

Several times today I wanted to eat when I wasn't hungry. Sitting at my desk too long, while waiting for an appointment (that they never showed for after I drove across town in construction traffic), driving past the gas station. I have serious problem of comfort eating, and bordom eating! Thank you Whole30 for helping me kick those habits to the curb!

Dinner ended up being a hamburger on a bed of baby lettuces with pickles and basil olive oil. Yum!

I haven't gotten my comfort eating or boredom eating concurred.. i can't stand standing in line in the grocery store..  nothing but sweets..  I see i"m not a cake eater but a cander wanna piece..   But.. I've not purchase any.. 

CAn't even have a mint so I don't have bad breath for my massage clients.. Worries me.. 

M3

Steak, Grilled in pan

Asparagus, Grilled in pan

Plantain, Grilled in pan. 

Made mashed potatoes couldn't eat them.   

does anyone have one of these Rotisserie thingys. 

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Cuizen-Vertigenius-Vertical-Rotisserie/35074941

Oh my! That has to be frustrating. I hope your stress levels aren't causing the flare ups. Stress is such a horrible culprit when it comes to our bodies. I think I squeezed the life out of my squishy balls this past school year! Great job keeping focused on the plan!

Tytbodyin30....I don't have one of those machines, but it looks awesome! I'm all about making life easier in the kitchen....(says the person who owns a lot of crock pots...)  I've got that "breath" issue as well. I've been chewing mint leaves from my little plant and putting them in my water hoping I don't offend too many people. 

Talking about boredom. My whole family is out. Husband is out with the "guys", oldest child is at work, and youngest just went out on a date. Just me and the dogs hanging out watching Netflix...drinking coffee. On a Friday night. And I'm here looking at recipes and what to pack for camping next weekend. 

I hope someone's having a great Friday night! 

Not having a great Friday night.  My salmon is in the oven.  It is 9:30PM and I just got home from work a little while ago.  Over 12 hours on my day off...retail!  I made it through the day and will eat my dinner soon. 

One good thing though I now am the person in charge of the Couch to 5K at work, so now I am committed to doing it!  I am really looking forward to it actually.  You can walk or run (I will try to run) and we have trainers to help us get started.  It will be fun to do something outside of work with a lot of people and it is for a great cause.  And I have to go back and read some of the posts about sports bras!

I hope everyone has a great day!

One good thing though I now am the person in charge of the Couch to 5K at work, so now I am committed to doing it!  I am really looking forward to it actually.  You can walk or run (I will try to run) and we have trainers to help us get started.  It will be fun to do something outside of work with a lot of people and it is for a great cause.  And I have to go back and read some of the posts about sports bras!

This made me laugh! It was actually nice to do a night of yoga and not have to double strap 'em down!!

Good Morning Everyone!

I hope everyone had a great Friday.  I am off to work early.  My challenge again will be to get lunch in a timely manner.  We are going to be super busy and I hate eating lunch on the fly.  Today I have to drink more water.  The headache was back yesterday in the early afternoon.  I only get them when I wake up and not every day now.  The bonus is since I came in on my day off my boss told me to take a 3rd day next week, yipee!

Have a great Saturday everyone.

Good morning everyone! I was hoping to get today off because of rain but the weather report has changed again and it looks like I get to go sweat in the heat and humidity. This is a great event though so it will be worth it.

I guess I will be heavy on eggs today as I didn't prep my lunch last night, the weather report was predicting rain all morning then. I have several hard boiled in the fridge so there I go. When I get home this afternoon, I need to begin thinking about next week's food. Planning ahead is key for me to stay on track and that is something I'm not very good at.

Have a great Saturday everyone! We are past the 1/3 mark, we can do this!

I had to LOL at all the talk about "the girls" and I will say that when I try to focus on any positives from my cancer losing "the girls" is on the top of my list! ...Having no control thru most of my cancer experience, it's a good feeling to have some control now about the type of reconstruction surgeries available. 

Susabella, what a great attitude to find the positive from cancer.  You are inspiring!  

We have a local bra shop whose ad ends..."where the alphabet starts with D."  Haha!      

Heytrace- Just wondering: How did your family event go? My fiance's family does a similar get-together every Sunday and I'm a bit nervous for my first Whole 30 Sunday Dinner. Where there any comments or criticisms you had to navigate? I hope it went well for you!

awojahn... stravajunkie and I came over from a group that started earlier because we both needed to start again, and stravajunkie, if you don't mind me quoting you, the following was really helpful advice (maybe not all would apply to a Sunday dinner, but the part about eliminating food reaction issues and some short-term restrictions is perfect for any get-together -- it's true, so many people are on special food restrictions, and I've totally been using this!):

"To keep things simple at the cabin, you could bring a small cooler with a bunch of pre-chopped fresh veggies (peppers, tomatoes, carrots, lettuce, cucumbers....or stuff like mushrooms if you like them...) then store them in the fridge at the cabin...easy meal = put protein on top of them and pronto! A meal! Nowadays everybody and their ever lovin' uncle is on a food plan of some kind for allergies etc. What works for me is to just say I'm working on eliminating some food reaction issues (even better if you indicate some kind of health provider recommended it) and so I have some short term food restrictions."

Hello all

Here is the official ruling on 'wraps', regardless of what they are made of and regardless of whether for you individually, they are SWYPO or not

I"m not sure what the Can I have thread is that was referenced as having a moderator say they were okay sparingly but that is incorrect information. The rules are the rules and we ask that you follow all of them for the 30 days, regardless of whether you personally have a healthy or unhealthy attachment to wraps.

Paleo Bread: No

What we actually wanted to say here was, “Hell, no.” Buying (or baking) Paleo Bread during your Whole30 is an exercise in missing the point. We’re asking you to change your food habits, here, not just the ingredients. Bread is as SWYPO as it gets, and is still a nutrient-poor food choice, pushing more nutritious foods off your plate. Finally, bread (even if it is made from coconut flour) is the very definition of “food with no brakes!” This extends to include coconut flour wrapsas well. Just say no, and sandwich your meat in a lettuce leaf, portobello mushroom caps, or toasted sheets of nori instead.

What about Cauliflower "tortilallas" http://www.recipegirl.com/2014/05/05/cauliflower-tortillas/

They don't taste anything like toritillas, they're very different, but yummy! and lots of nutrients from the cauliflower

I think this weekend is going to be a challenge for me too - hanging out with the Ladies Aid Society (what my girlfriends and I call ourselves), along with all the kids and husbands - sure to be much drinking and off-plan snacking going on. I'm not really worried about the food/snacks, but I know I'm going to really want to have a glass of wine (or two!) with my friends. I'm planning to bring a bunch of La Croix waters with me, but I have a feeling this one is going to be tough. Earoti - I promise to stay strong if you do! Deal? Report back on Monday?

JTCarlson - You got it! Let's hold each other accountable! Let's try to check in here each evening after we're home from all our events and give an udate :-) I just had a really big breakfast I'm hoping will keep me full until my first baby shower is over at 1 pm! Then I have friends coming over to watch 3 episodes of Game of Thrones (where we usually have lots of beer and popcorn/junk) So, it might be hard watching the show without it! But I know I can do it. You can do it too! Bringing La Croix is a great idea!!! 

I've been feeling great, but woke up this morning with a sore throat, which for me is usually how I start when I'm getting sick. What are we allowed to ward off sickness? And if it turns into a cold or bad sickness what can we have to relieve that?

• Moderators

What about Cauliflower "tortilallas" http://www.recipegirl.com/2014/05/05/cauliflower-tortillas/

They don't taste anything like toritillas, they're very different, but yummy! and lots of nutrients from the cauliflower

Pretty gray... Looks to me like the egg/banana pancakes deal so while they look yummy, I'd leave them off. It's only 30 days and I'm positive we can all get through 30 days without trying to find some way to recreate flatbreads.

Not having a great Friday night.  My salmon is in the oven.  It is 9:30PM and I just got home from work a little while ago.  Over 12 hours on my day off...retail!  I made it through the day and will eat my dinner soon. 

I hope everyone has a great day!

BM , 

How on earth do you at dinner at 9:30 PM..  what time do you go to sleep? 

Awesome on being in charge of the Couch to 5K.. I'm always hearing about this type of exercise..  being a group like that keeps you committed and helps you exercise because you know others are counting on you to be there..  great system that works. 

Tytbodyin30....I don't have one of those machines, but it looks awesome! I'm all about making life easier in the kitchen....(says the person who owns a lot of crock pots...)  I've got that "breath" issue as well. I've been chewing mint leaves from my little plant and putting them in my water hoping I don't offend too many people. 

Hey Teach, 

not that I have halitosis, but i just want to be sure. you know what smells good to us can really be dragon breath to other people..   Only an inner circle person will tell you ... 

This made me laugh! It was actually nice to do a night of yoga and not have to double strap 'em down!!

I swear yoga was not intended for americans with endowed breatst. What do you always see. Skinny people like Sean Corns who's rib bones you see.. you show me a person carrying some extra meat and doing downward dog without strap downs and I'll show you a person who is out of breath from suffocation.

Susabella, what a great attitude to find the positive from cancer.  You are inspiring!  

We have a local bra shop whose ad ends..."where the alphabet starts with D."  Haha!      

awojahn... stravajunkie and I came over from a group that started earlier because we both needed to start again, and stravajunkie, if you don't mind me quoting you, the following was really helpful advice (maybe not all would apply to a Sunday dinner, but the part about eliminating food reaction issues and some short-term restrictions is perfect for any get-together -- it's true, so many people are on special food restrictions, and I've totally been using this!):

"To keep things simple at the cabin, you could bring a small cooler with a bunch of pre-chopped fresh veggies (peppers, tomatoes, carrots, lettuce, cucumbers....or stuff like mushrooms if you like them...) then store them in the fridge at the cabin...easy meal = put protein on top of them and pronto! A meal! Nowadays everybody and their ever lovin' uncle is on a food plan of some kind for allergies etc. What works for me is to just say I'm working on eliminating some food reaction issues (even better if you indicate some kind of health provider recommended it) and so I have some short term food restrictions."

I Love that Bra shop. What a great name.. ;)  I used to love watching that show with Livy Rae and the other lady.  she went around fitting people with all kinda issues I never knew of..   Great business. 

And I like what this persons said about being on a food plan..  Great way to explain it.  Love it..  Cause everyone is.. on some sort of food plan.. 

JTCarlson - You got it! Let's hold each other accountable! Let's try to check in here each evening after we're home from all our events and give an udate :-) I just had a really big breakfast I'm hoping will keep me full until my first baby shower is over at 1 pm! Then I have friends coming over to watch 3 episodes of Game of Thrones (where we usually have lots of beer and popcorn/junk) So, it might be hard watching the show without it! But I know I can do it. You can do it too! Bringing La Croix is a great idea!!! 

I so wish you both well.  What temptations.   in a situation like that sometimes this doesn't feel like freedom to me..  but we can get used to it.. 

I'm still in there. and I will do what someone posted bout a whole 22.. get up to the surgery and then, take it up again.. I can't be stressing trying to heal... it won't work that way. 

I could use one of these places in my life. A place that doesn't just make support bras for the well-endowed woman, but pretty ones too!

Day 11...

Glad you're all doing well. Hang in there! We're nearing the half way mark! 

I walked 4 miles today. I haven't done that in....well, a really long time. Hello, Whole30, my new BFF. (although...My phone died about a 1/2 mile from home. It was too quiet. )

I could use one of these places in my life. A place that doesn't just make support bras for the well-endowed woman, but pretty ones too!

Day 11...

Glad you're all doing well. Hang in there! We're nearing the half way mark! 

I walked 4 miles today. I haven't done that in....well, a really long time. Hello, Whole30, my new BFF. (although...My phone died about a 1/2 mile from home. It was too quiet. )

what do you listen to while you walk?  

I love walking..   

I'm sitting here thinking if i have all the ingredients for the salmon cakes. looking forward to enjoying those babies 

Archived