FEBRUARY 1, 2017 Start Date? JOIN THIS THREAD!!

samnkelli

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 5 is killing me. I haven't had any problems until today. I am exhausted and I have been napping all day long, thankfully it's Sunday and I can lounge al day. My husband and I went to a super bowl party that had pizza and other goodies and I did not cave in! Instead I had some fruit and ate before we went to the party. I won't deny that it was hard but I am happy I stayed strong and can continue on the journey!

Glad to hear everyone is doing well so far. I'm on day 3, but I'm really suffering. I felt pretty awful before starting anyway but i spent yesterday in bed with a migraine and I've taken today off sick also.

I was planning on stocking up at the weekend but I've not made it out of the house yet. Hopefully I'll get some energy to go out this afternoon because I'm out of food now! 

For the person looking for a curry recipie, this is my fave:

2 cloves garlic crushed

1 inch ginger grated

2tsp each of curry powder, chilli powder, paprika, tumeric, coriander and cumin

Fry the spices in oil for 1 minute until a paste forms

Chop some onion and fry it in the paste

Add 1 or 2 cans of chopped tomatoes and simmer for 5-10 mins

At this point you can blend the mixture until smooth, or leave the texture as is

Take a 400g block of creamed coconut and dissolve it in the sauce

Add whatever meat or veg you want to the sauce and allow to cook until done.

(If you're not going to blend the sauce you can add meat with the onion before the tomatoes or you might want to sear it separately. I normally just do veggies in mine)

22 hours ago, jmcbn said:

The chocolate & vanilla both contain stevia which would make them out for your Whole30...

Damn! So now what do I do? Spent $75 on this stuff too! So since I have to have a supplement, is there a compliant one out there? If not, which is worse for my plan, the whey protein, or the stevia? Actually, the Unjury contains aspertame so that is out I guess since it is also an artificial sweetener, and worse than stevia. I don't know about the Muscle Milk since I don't have any in the house right now, but I am sure it has some artificial sweetener too. 

Not sure where to go from here.

Excited to have made it through the weekend!  Funny....told hubby Friday night his CHIPS were really a LOUD CRUNCH...then read the time line and apologized!  He laughed....Actually made it through the weekend with no issues.  Yesterday was pretty good on prep but have more to finish up tonight.  I wish I had given in and taken a little nap yesterday but I didn't.  Baked AWESOME wings...hubby put hot sauce on top when he ate his but definitely will be making them again!  Also prepped the pork carnitas for tomorrow night.  I roasted butternut squash at the same time I did spaghetti squash and going to use the cook squash to make the butternut squash soup tonight.  I've never thought of eating soup for breakfast but that just might work on my veggie consumption. I don't mind peppers (yellow; orange or red cut in strips for breakfast)

Michelle - yes I am pretty structured so I think a regular schedule works good for me too.  Hoping to get a little more cardio in this week.  I am back to a zumba class and a yoga class so that helps.  AMAZED at my no cravings and how full I'm staying!

There were some wonderful victories in this group this week and thanks for sharing your temptations and your success.. It really does help to motivate!  Friday they had these giant doughnuts of every flavor and combination in our breakroom.  I thankfully had made my mind up I was not even allowing myself to think what they would taste like and did really well.  I think the more times you push past those tests...the easier each one becomes.  One week almost under out belts!

On 01/02/2017 at 5:27 PM, samnkelli said:

Mom2210s, I found this when I searched the W30 forums (click on Approved protein powder to read the whole thread)

http://paleoproproducts.com/paleo-protein-powder/  (plain naked flavor only, all others contain stevia)

Moderator at the time said it was ok.  

Also found a post that said there are compliant protein bars made of crickets....yeah, crickets. I've heard they are actually good so you might want to look into that. 

On 01/02/2017 at 5:28 PM, ladyshanny said:

See if you can find unflavoured egg white protein; it does exist. It's disgusting but it should do the trick.

40 minutes ago, Mom2210s said:

Damn! So now what do I do? Spent $75 on this stuff too! So since I have to have a supplement, is there a compliant one out there? If not, which is worse for my plan, the whey protein, or the stevia? Actually, the Unjury contains aspertame so that is out I guess since it is also an artificial sweetener, and worse than stevia. I don't know about the Muscle Milk since I don't have any in the house right now, but I am sure it has some artificial sweetener too. 

Not sure where to go from here.

It was actually highlighted in the link you followed to make the purchase that only the naked was compliant, so you could continue using that one from your sample pack, or stick with unflavoured egg white protein as suggested by @ladyshanny.

Stevia won't disrupt the gut in the same way that some of the other off plan foods will so a re-start won't necessarily be a requirement - have a read at >this article< and let us know what you decide.

Going forward though the stevia is off limits, as is the whey protein - the options I've given above are both compliant.

Hope this helps.

19 minutes ago, mschmuki said:

any approved coffee and or creamer at a coffee shop, particularly Starbucks...?

I'd stick with unsweetened Americano and bring your own nutpod/coconut/almond milk.... Starbucks coconut milk contains a number of off plan ingredients.

Hiya. I just discovered this thread, but I wanted to jump on. I actually started on 1/30, but hey. Close enough?

I spent the past several days sick in bed with a fever from a virus that I thought was strep throat (nope, just a bad infection). I remained compliant, thanks to some homemade chicken and veggie soup. Today I oddly feel absolutely starving, no matter what I eat. Do we think it's my body recovering from being sick? I'm not convinced it's W30 related so much as a case of I-just-ate-soup-for-every-meal-for-3-days-so-I-want-all-the-solid-food-ever.

Also, let me state for the record, that all I wanted was a popsicle for my throat, or tea with honey all weekend. But I resisted!

I survived a Super Bowl party with lots of great looking, non-compliant munchies. I took a tray of veggies and a tray of fruit kabobs, and there was a great pulled pork to eat. I tried 3 new recipes this weekend - scallops wrapped in prosciutto; Chicken Chowder (from Whole30 book); and Apple Cinnamon Hot Cereal (http://www.paleorunningmomma.com/apple-cinnamon-paleo-hot-cereal-whole30/). 

The one thing I'm having trouble with is the homemade mayo. I've tried the recipe in the Whole30 book twice and both were a huge fail! The 2nd time I was extra slow in adding the olive oil.  Any tips or successful recipes you've tried?

22 minutes ago, Anna H said:

Sorry @Anna H - whilst made from compliant ingredients this would be off limits as it's a recreation of an off limit food and is straight up SWYPO (Sex With Your Pants On).

Try to think of how your meals match the template. This one is completely lacking in protein & veg, and is very fat heavy. Nuts are a fat for Whole30 purposes and since they're an inferior fat source due to their poor omega 3:6 ratio, and they can be a food without breaks, our recommendation is for a closed handful every other day, max - this recipe calls for an entire cup PLUS almond or coconut milk PLUS coconut flakes and maybe even some nut butter.

Leave this one for after your Whole30.

Nice work on the scallops & chowder meals though. Stupid Easy paleo has an awesome (& compliant) clam chowder recipe on her website which might be of interest to you!

On 2/4/2017 at 8:40 PM, mschmuki said:

One of the things the newsletter suggests is having at least 3 meals that take 15 minutes or less for those days that you come home and don't want to cook, for whatever reason. I've only found one in my Whole30 book and I don't have the cookbook. Does anyone have some quick and tasty suggestions I can keep up my sleeve?

I'm sure there are a ton of options - but some that work for me are compliant tuna on sweet potato toast or cucumbers, compliant deli meat tollups (there's a few brands out there) with mustard and veggies, or a store bought rotisserie chicken (check for compliance) over greens with salsa and veggies. The best thing is to meal prep ahead of time so you can grab out some prepped protein and veggies or soup. Hope this helps!

Could use some help from the mods or advanced members - is it possible to eat too many starches? This is my second Whole30 and I find it WAY easier than my first but am a little concerned about serving size and food choices. Here's some sample meals from the last few days

Breakfast (pretty typical): Aidell's chicken apple sausage, 2 eggs scrambled with veggies (tomatos/peppers/brussels/broccoli...really, whatever I have) salsa, avocado & coffee w compliant almond milk. Oftentimes with a side of roasted sweet potato, maybe about a fist? probably a little less

Lunch: tuna mixed with balsamic vinegar & EVOO & black pepper with celery on sweet potato "toast" with spinach & mustard OR shredded chicken over greens with small handful nuts & chopped apple OR similar type salad with protein/greens/veggies

Dinner: Spaghetti squash (~1 1/2 cups) with chicken, peppers, onions + spinach & compliant marinara sauce OR pork chops (size of palm) with roasted butternut squash/brussels/asparagus OR something similar with a protein, roasted veggies, and a starchy veg (butternut squash, sweet potato, spaghetti squash, potatoes, etc.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I'll be starting hopefully next week!  Going to get through the book (I just received Saturday), meal plan and get ready to prep this weekend!   I'm really excited. Momma of two preschoolers here and you BET they will be eating Whole 30 with myself and my husband!

20 minutes ago, fitnnhealthy said:

is it possible to eat too many starches?

This depends. How active are you? Do you have blood sugar issues such as T2?

Your starting point would probably be one meal a day - one fist sized serving - and see how you feel from there. Too many starches can keep your body reliant on readily available sugars, but some people need a little more because they might be prone to anxiety or depression. It's something you can play around with as you become more aware of how what you eat makes you feel.

Personally I eat starches once a day (usually in meal 3) most days (maybe 5 out of 7), but not every day unless it's that time of the month when I can up it to twice a day for 2-3 days because that's what my body is craving.

There's lots of anecdotal evidence too that keeping your starchy veg to meal three will help with sleep.

On 2/5/2017 at 1:38 PM, HEDGEHOG8 said:

Day 5

It's good to read everyone else's posts. Finding out what people are eating and doing.

I've bought a hot pot / slow cooker and made a great chicken curry that was sooooo easy peasy. 

I'm finding breakfasts quite hard as  the food I'm cooking at night I don't want in the morning. I really should get up earlier..... A great tip to have vegetables ready chopped 

I'm gonna try and start exercising tomorrow. Feel ready now :-) 

Happy eating everyone x 

1 hour ago, jmcbn said:

This depends. How active are you? Do you have blood sugar issues such as T2?

Thanks @jmcbn! I'm going to try to cut down on the starches and move them around throughout the day to see how I feel. I'm usually pretty active, but recently sidelined with a knee injury for the past week. No blood sugar issues. I just need to be more aware of the starchy veggies and sub them out for something better (for me)! I'll see how I feel after that. Thanks for the help

I saw a people writing about breakfast being difficult.  For the last 2 years I have been making a frittata every sunday night, slicing it into eight slices, and then my husband and I have ready made breakfast for 4 days.  (1) saute whatever vegetables I have in olive oil (usually some onions, sun dried tomatoes, and spices) (2) mix 14 eggs with salt and pepper and then begin to cook on the stove in a big enamel cast iron pan (3) when eggs have cooked a bit on the bottom, add the cooked veggies. (3) When the eggs are cooked through the middle but not the top, place bacon on top of the whole thing and roast it in the oven for 14 minutes.  Not counting pre-cooking the bacon, I can do this in about 35 minutes, but I'm a pro at this after 2 years.  In the past I put cheese on top as well.

Day 4 kicking off for me here. I slept really badly again last night, I suspect this will be a common theme for the next couple of days. We've been watching a lot of The West Wing recently and everytime I close my eyes I see Toby, Leo, Sam and CJ running around my head chattering at 1000 words a minute! I'm going to go back to work today though and hope for the best. 

I roasted a chicken yesterday afternoon and made broth from the bones overnight in the slow cooker. It's hard to find compliant stock in the UK so I'm looking forward to some tasty soup in the next few days. It's the first time I've done either of these so I was really pleased with myself. My whole flat stinks of stock right now which is a little bit strong for 7am, and I'm sure my veggie boyfriend will be delighted when he wakes up! 

I'm off to figure out what to throw together to take for lunch, I will get more organised soon, I promise!

My husband and I are feeling great, mostly. Still have crash days. Here's our unorthodox approach. Jan 23 we started the 10-day detox diet. A little more stringent than Whole30, if you can believe that. Philosophical difference towards breakfast, we were only allowed "smoothies" with seeds, nuts, almond butter and strawberries. However, nothing we ate was off plan. Our responses were dead on with Whole30 timeline of how you feel. On day 11 we transitioned to the Whole30 plan. We have def dropped weight, that is obvious to the naked eye. But more importantly we are both completely off our BP meds. He is an insulin dependent type 1 brittle diabetic, meaning his blood glucose runs a roller coaster of ridiculous highs and lows. His blood glucose levels now are textbook perfect 24/7 and he is taking a 3rd of the amount of bolus insulin he used to take. We never knew real food was so tasty. Still waiting for my tiger blood...

Q:. I'm not sure about fats.  I got cooking fat, check.  But that's not enough, right....?  Big problem is I don't like avocados.  I will try to eat more fish.  I worry about too many nuts...'cause I love those!   I see cashews and macadamia nuts are listed as "fat" not "nuts"...?   What is an appropriate amount of those two daily?  Or other suggestions for fat...?  Thanks.

4 minutes ago, AmyEN said:

Q:. I'm not sure about fats.  I got cooking fat, check.  But that's not enough, right....?  Big problem is I don't like avocados.  I will try to eat more fish.  I worry about too many nuts...'cause I love those!   I see cashews and macadamia nuts are listed as "fat" not "nuts"...?   What is an appropriate amount of those two daily?  Or other suggestions for fat...?  Thanks.

Don't go nuts with the nuts - a closed handful every other day max.

Alternatives would be: home made mayo or mayo based sauces/dressings, olives (a heaping handful) & olive oil, nut/seed oils, coconut milk/flesh/oil, ghee/clarified butter, compliant bacon, rendered animal fats, chicken wings/thighs with skins on, fatty cuts of meat like ribs or brisket...

Archived