Start date June 1st

Heatherhms

1 hour ago, Georgina2 said:

You must not have to work a 9-5 then. I envy people who are so lucky. If i wasn't the primary provider for my family and could stay home i would not have any issues cooking enough.

I work all hours 7 days a week.  I run a business and it is surprisingly not food oriented.  I am the only parent and provider for my daughter since my husband disappeared when she was a baby.  I had no help.  That's why I'm so fond of Yoda's saying in my signature line.  "Do. Or do not.  There is no try."  My daughter deserved better than the hand her father tried to deal her so I "did."  I learned to seriously organize, cook fast meals, and spent a long time with no life of my own.  I went into business so I could be my own boss, work from home almost all the time, be with her even if I was technically busy, etc.  I shaped my life around my priorities, my career was one of the things that got shaped around my priorities (priorities=her)

Edited to add: My daughter has a lot of food allergies but not as many as I do and I think that's because we were aware of them whereas I was much older by the time I had been diagnosed as having celiac.  

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, ArtFossil said:

For the 20 years or so I cooked family meals--

First, I had 2 years as a single parent. All bets were off and money was ridiculously tight and I kept things simple. If one is a single parent, one's expectations have to be reasonable.

In marriage # 2 and years 6-20 when we were both working full time including, during kids' high school, my (intensive) classes on top of working) we kept things easy, used a Jennaire grill a LOT and my partner cooked simple clay-pot type meals on the weekends while he watched sports-on-TV. We had a rotation of easy meals and just repeated them often and saved more elaborate cooking for when we had guests. My partner had to step up and learn to cook and he also shared transporting children/doctor's appointments/shopping and cleaning. 

Bonding!  When my daughter was younger we ate crock pot meal so much.  From the time she was a toddler, I used to pull up a chair, open all the herbs and spice and put them on the table and let her season our meats, salads, etc.  She was so cute I still melt thinking about her standing on that chair smelling everything and shaking what she wanted over the pot.  I have to say, to her credit, we never once felt like we were eating a failed experiment.  

Hi all, I'm on my Day 4, feeling good, and not hungry at all, thankfully!

Just quickly jumping in on the topic of quick meals that folks have been talking about here - if you don't already know about it, the InstaPot has been one of my best kitchen buys in recent years, for it's multiple functions - both slow cooker and pressure cooker. I made chicken breasts and sweet potatoes in the pressure cooker this morning (5 minute prep, 15 minute pressure cooker time) and while that was pressure cooking, I stir-fried up zucchini and had time to multitask putting dishes in dishwasher while waiting. Keeping it simple is also key, as others have noted. Also, with 5 ingredients + oil & spices (chicken breast, sweet potato,  zucchini, onion, garlic, olive oil, salt, pepper, paprika), the 100% organic meal cost my husband a total of about $7 ($3.50 each) - and of course would be even more affordable non-organic.

Keep up the good fight!   

@Heather_r, that sounds awesome!  Instant Pot changed my life. I thought I'd never part with my crock pot but after I got that I realized I didn't need it anymore.  I just did a pot of broth this afternoon in it after doing a batch of hard boiled eggs.  

I just finished dinner.  I was thinking of making pesto but then I really craved olives so I made some kind of basil pesto-olive tapenade to serve over my green beans.  I still had two chicken thighs left so I removed the skin, left the bones, and sauteed those in olive oil, basil, garlic, then added some whole green olives, lime, bone broth and let it all simmer and come together, thicken.  I added some fresh basil leaves to the chicken at the end.  I have leftover pesto-tapenade so I'l have to figure out what to add that to in the next day or so.  

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Georgina2 said:

You must not have to work a 9-5 then. I envy people who are so lucky. If i wasn't the primary provider for my family and could stay home i would not have any issues cooking enough.

That's a rather wild assumption.... What makes you think that she doesn't work because she cooks?

I work a full time weekday job and cook everything that goes into my mouth. While I"m cleaning the house (something else we all have to do), I put trays of veggies or meats in the oven... when I get out of the shower on the weekend, while my hair is airdrying, I make a batch of mayo. It does get easier with time and youve been given a lot of tips here... if you want more tips, google 'whole30 meal prep' and you'll find tons of posts.  @ladyshanny wrote a post a while back with exactly how you can make enough food for two people in two hours on a weekend.... she also has a full time job and obligations and cooks everything her and her husband put in their mouths.

So is anyone else having bizarre food dreams?  This is my 5th W30 and the very first time I've ever experienced this!  I know the timeline says it's normal around this time but I thought you all might get a kick out of the dream I had last night.  I was at the candy store in the mall and there was an Oompa Loompa behind the counter.  They sold every type of candy imaginable, ice cream, and Krispy Kreme donuts.  For whatever reason, I decided to eat a boston cream donut and had the filling all over my face and hands since I had ripped the donut in half.  I was practically rubbing it all over my face.  So bizarre and hilarious!  When I woke up, I had a stomach ache and everything.  It took me a few seconds to realize that it was just a dream, although you would think the Oompa Loompa would've tipped me off on that one, lol!

The funny thing is that I have a severe gluten intolerance so a donut is not a food I would normally choose to eat even when off roading.  I also don't remember the last time I was in a candy store.  My sugar dragon seems to be under control this time around too.  I'm not craving sugar at all, which is super unusual.  My husband even commented that I've been eating way less fruit than normal so we're going to call all of this a NSV!

My husband and I started Whole30 on June 1st.  First 3 days were hard.  I had headaches and was pretty irritable.  The next 4-8 days were ok.  Not too bad, but a ton of prep!  But now, days 9-11 I am having a hard time!  I want brownies and pizza like never before!  I rummage through my pantry and keep munching on nuts and fruit and almond butter.  I make coffee and use the nut pods creamer, which I feel like is cheating, but it's all compliant.  Is this going to get easier?!  I'm also at the point that I'm thinking: if I have to live my life in this way, and I cannot eat anything that brings me joy (lol), is it worth it!?  To preface this a little, I overall have a healthy diet and I exercise.  I'm doing whole30 to see if it helps with some health issues and the fact that I am tired ALL the time.  Any advice to get me through this is appreciated!

1 minute ago, JessicaMac4 said:

My husband and I started Whole30 on June 1st.  First 3 days were hard.  I had headaches and was pretty irritable.  The next 4-8 days were ok.  Not too bad, but a ton of prep!  But now, days 9-11 I am having a hard time!  I want brownies and pizza like never before!  I rummage through my pantry and keep munching on nuts and fruit and almond butter.  I make coffee and use the nut pods creamer, which I feel like is cheating, but it's all compliant.  Is this going to get easier?!  I'm also at the point that I'm thinking: if I have to live my life in this way, and I cannot eat anything that brings me joy (lol), is it worth it!?  To preface this a little, I overall have a healthy diet and I exercise.  I'm doing whole30 to see if it helps with some health issues and the fact that I am tired ALL the time.  Any advice to get me through this is appreciated!

I'd ditch the nuts, fruit, and almond butter.  These foods can all keep your sugar dragon alive.  Try adding more fat to your meals or adding in a serving of starchy veg daily if you haven't already.  Sometimes I just need to distract myself when I'm craving food too...go for a walk, read a book, get out of the house (if possible).  This will pass!

8 hours ago, Georgina2 said:

I've never made a frittata but that looks delicious.  Breakfast for me this morning was two eggs over easy on top of fried potatoes (cut up from boiled spuds from last night), speck (kinda like prosciutto but from Germany), and olives.  Since then I've been prep cooking all morning:  Spicy fried turkey, calirice with sliced almonds, beef and green bean curry, spicy orange chocolate almonds (before anyone says anything they are from the Whole 30 cookbook), homemade clarified butter.

I've got two turkey breasts defrosting to roast laster and salmon in the fridge to make fish cakes.  Broccoli to steam, asparagus to grill, and butternut squash for making soup.  Collard greens in the fridge to make wraps with the leftover turkey, and lettuce, roast beef, beets, and avocados for my beef salads.

Honestly I do not understand how people say they 'take a couple hours' and prep for the week.  It will take me all day to do this and I probably won't get it all done.  It's the biggest drawback to my success on this program:  I don't have time or energy to cook during the week, so I have to do all my cooking on the weekend which means I have no weekend.  I have no life outside of work, kids, and cooking.  It's okay for a while, but it gets super exhausting and is not sustainable long term.  

Sounds like you are very busy this weekend.  I too find it takes a lot of time and prep to make this work.  Hang in there - day 12 is almost here!

36 minutes ago, orca_chick said:

So is anyone else having bizarre food dreams?  This is my 5th W30 and the very first time I've ever experienced this!  I know the timeline says it's normal around this time but I thought you all might get a kick out of the dream I had last night.  I was at the candy store in the mall and there was an Oompa Loompa behind the counter.  They sold every type of candy imaginable, ice cream, and Krispy Kreme donuts.  For whatever reason, I decided to eat a boston cream donut and had the filling all over my face and hands since I had ripped the donut in half.  I was practically rubbing it all over my face.  So bizarre and hilarious!  When I woke up, I had a stomach ache and everything.  It took me a few seconds to realize that it was just a dream, although you would think the Oompa Loompa would've tipped me off on that one, lol!

The funny thing is that I have a severe gluten intolerance so a donut is not a food I would normally choose to eat even when off roading.  I also don't remember the last time I was in a candy store.  My sugar dragon seems to be under control this time around too.  I'm not craving sugar at all, which is super unusual.  My husband even commented that I've been eating way less fruit than normal so we're going to call all of this a NSV!

When ever I diet, I always have food dreams.  The latest one I had was that I took a bite into a Krispy Kream doughnut and after I cried because I had to start my 30 days over again.  I woke up and thought it was real.

1 hour ago, SugarcubeOD said:

That's a rather wild assumption.... What makes you think that she doesn't work because she cooks?

I work a full time weekday job and cook everything that goes into my mouth. While I"m cleaning the house (something else we all have to do), I put trays of veggies or meats in the oven... when I get out of the shower on the weekend, while my hair is airdrying, I make a batch of mayo. It does get easier with time and youve been given a lot of tips here... if you want more tips, google 'whole30 meal prep' and you'll find tons of posts.  @ladyshanny wrote a post a while back with exactly how you can make enough food for two people in two hours on a weekend.... she also has a full time job and obligations and cooks everything her and her husband put in their mouths.

She said she cooks 3 meals each day, no precooking. I assumed if you are going to COOK lunch each day (i.e. requiring a stove, oven, or other heat source) you must be home at midday.  Which means not working a 9-5 ( which is what i said), or working from home, which is a privilege in and of itself.

16 hours ago, HopingtoHeal said:

Happy Day 11! Have enjoyed reading everyone's posts, sounds like there's loads of great cooking and eating going on!

I still feel very tired and I am experiencing some of the issues on day 9 of the timeline re: toilet (sorry if that is TMI!) BUT I am two notches tighter on my belt already and last night when I was out at my old youth theatre's 40th anniversary party I wore a dress that hasn't fitted in a while and my skin is so clear that I didn't feel the need to wear any make-up other than a wee bit of mascara. 

Currently my husband is cooking breakfast, we pushed the boat out and bought me sausages from Whole Foods, compliant and delicious but not cheap! So it will be sausage, bacon, homemade hash browns, eggs, tomato and spinach for me. Husband is having black pudding which I am a bit jealous about but I know there will be enough on my plate to fill me up so that I won't miss it. 

We're off to Costco this afternoon too to stock up a bit.

Well done @HopingtoHeal !  Love that you are having more and more NSV! :)  Curious, do you have to use the boat to go shopping? :) How exciting! :)

10 hours ago, Lizzard said:

Breakfast this morning - frittata with onions, tomatoes, and broccoli made with the bacon fat from the bacon I made first.

IMG_0573.JPG

Ohhhh nice @Lizzard I never thought to put broccoli in mine! :)  I should try this, the broccoli is looking a bit sad in the fridge. 

9 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

I'll be right over... I can bring my own fork.

:P

4 hours ago, Ginsky said:

Bonding!  When my daughter was younger we ate crock pot meal so much.  From the time she was a toddler, I used to pull up a chair, open all the herbs and spice and put them on the table and let her season our meats, salads, etc.  She was so cute I still melt thinking about her standing on that chair smelling everything and shaking what she wanted over the pot.  I have to say, to her credit, we never once felt like we were eating a failed experiment.  

Oh @Georgina2 and @Ginsky I remember those days of being a single Mum. :(  I lived on $3.00 cash USD a day and we, unfortunately, ate rubbish food.  Stay strong ladies. <3 

33 minutes ago, orca_chick said:

@orca_chick I had them my first and second time on a W30.  Now, when I was sick about a week ago, I had food fantasies.  LOL!  The Oompa Loompa would have tipped me over the EDGE!!! LOL  

16 minutes ago, JessicaMac4 said:

Hi @JessicaMac4  Welcome aboard.  I do think it gets easier.  This round I am not suffering quite as bad on the mental level as I have in the past.  Sometimes I had to constantly 'hold my hand" to get through the hard times.  I've changed my thinking this time to say, "I can have anything I want, I choose not to."  Instead of telling myself I can't.  I'm a stubborn old girl and if anyone (including me) says I can't, just you watch me! So this time around it's easier for me.  I hope it gets better for you. <3 

Hi all.  I meant to write more last night but I went to be very early.  I'm sleeping like a baby. YAY!!  I need to do more food prep, so, today is the day.  DH went to the grocery store for me and got me a lot more veg, fruit and protein.  I'm trying something this time in that I am not relying on nuts as they have been a deal breaker for me in the past in that I ate them without control.  I do have coconut milk or cream once or twice a week, other times I'm trying to keep up my avocado for good fats. 

I'm kind of over pork (pulled pork) and so I'm cooking a roast beef this go around.  12 days in people.  We are nearly there! :)

My sister was badly burned on her hands and face when an instapot exploded. I will never use a pressure cooker, but my crock pot gets good use, that's how i made the curry today.

@RBerlin7: There is a cookbook called The Sneaky Chef full of recipes for exactly that.  They describe what can be incorporated into what and never noticed by them.  Have fun in the kitchen!

13 minutes ago, Lizzard said:

When ever I diet, I always have food dreams.  The latest one I had was that I took a bite into a Krispy Kream doughnut and after I cried because I had to start my 30 days over again.  I woke up and thought it was real.

Haha, what is it with Krispy Kreme? 

@ginsky,@artfossil,@Lizzard and all:  I had a great laugh just now over all the food dreams.  Thanks for sharing.

Honestly, all of yesterday and again today the thoufht of eating has made me a little queasy.  I have been very busy wrapping up some projects around here and not prepping as much.  Tomorrow I'm going to make a few brand-new and delicious foods as I hang in there. 

Still compliant but looking forward one day to a scrambled egg and bacon with cheese on a hard roll from a local Long Island deli...oh and some vanilla bean ice cream.

Sorry and good night all.

1 hour ago, orca_chick said:

I'd ditch the nuts, fruit, and almond butter.  These foods can all keep your sugar dragon alive.  Try adding more fat to your meals or adding in a serving of starchy veg daily if you haven't already.  Sometimes I just need to distract myself when I'm craving food too...go for a walk, read a book, get out of the house (if possible).  This will pass!

Have I been doing something wrong? I've read and re-read the Whole 30 book and missed where we can have one starchy veg daily ... Is only one serving per day allowed? 

2 minutes ago, C. Page said:

Have I been doing something wrong? I've read and re-read the Whole 30 book and missed where we can have one starchy veg daily ... Is only one serving per day allowed? 

It's generally recommended that you start with at least one fist size serving of starchy veg daily but you can definitely eat more if you're super active.  It's particularly helpful for females depending where they are in their cycle and it also seems to help moods stay more stable.  Personally, I tend to eat starchy veg in at least 1 meal but my preference is 2 meals.  I'm pretty active and I find that it helps with my energy level during my workouts and keeps my sugar dragon at bay.  I also tend to feel hungry all the time if I'm too low carb even if I'm eating at the upper end of the template.

• Moderators
49 minutes ago, C. Page said:

@orca_chick said it right.  The recommendation is to START with one fist sized serving a day, but you can have it at every meal if you want.  You'll want to start with one, see how you feel, add another... see if that's enough... experiment a bit within your Whole30 to see what works for you.  If you're a woman of menstruating age, then you may find you need more at that time of the month (usually the week of and leading up to your period.  If you have a mood disorder, it can help (not cure) that as well.

Day 12 ..... made it through the weekend intact. Feeling a little spent and stomach feels bloated.

Had some serious cravings on Sunday, but kept it under control. Ate eggs and veggies for breakfast, avocado salad with grilled chicken for lunch, and made a tuna steak, grilled veggies and potato/onion sauteed in avocado oil. After playing a round of golf in 92 degree weather, I was starving. Ate extra potatoes and it helped kill the hunger pangs. On plan - as is my wife. Been great so far. We are cooking together a lot and the family eating together !!

Loving the occasional fruit ...... tastes so much better in the absence of junk from diet.

I've loved all your shares and am now back at my laptop so it's easier to post.  Day 10 was premium craving day.  Funny I've not had the timeline issues until that day.  I did my best to dismiss the urges but probably overdid it as I went outside meals to eat extra protein, veg, fruit and fat (including seeds) - but all compliant just maybe not perfect.  I reigned it back in though for Day 11 and am thankful to be through that phase.  Note to self, when I've been outdoors walking for hours, I must remember to include starch in my meals that day!!!! 

@Lizzard you've reminded me how much I love frittata.  So that's on the menu this week

@HopingtoHeal Congratulations on your 2 belt notch success.  My energy is on the up - as is my sleep - which will have to be good enough for me right now - as I quietly aspire to the looser clothes.

@Ginsky I think you should write your own cookbook.  Your intuitive use of herbs and spices is pretty impressive.  As I have had food intolerances for many years, and almost all my food is home cooked I can appreciate how much chopping, shopping and thinking goes into eating well.

@Shawni Wonderful news that the beach trip went so well.  Shawni rocks. :)

@ArtFossil Thanks for the simplicity reminder.  It is my mantra. I like to eat nourishing food and if it becomes too much of a strain it can be easy to forget how simple ingrdients can taste so good.  When I was single I could do a Sunday afternoon cookathon that would last most of the week.  I'm now lucky if it lasts more than one meal.

@JessicaMac4 Nice to see your posts, and I can totally relate to wanting to eat the furniture on day 10.  If my experience (and the whole30 timeline) is anything to go by - it really does pass.  Tips, have starch at each meal (I forgot to), walk a lot, hit someone ;)

Day 12 nearly done and heading for halfway.  Now if I could just get those trousers done up again........

15 hours ago, orca_chick said:

I have had dreams about food every.single.night since starting the program. They all end with me feeling anxious and upset that I failed and need to start the program over again :(

15 hours ago, Shawnni said:

Well done @HopingtoHeal !  Love that you are having more and more NSV! :)  Curious, do you have to use the boat to go shopping? :) How exciting! :)

No, no boat for going shopping, I just meant that they were a real treat or extravagance, that's something we would say here (perhaps in other places too?) that if you are doing something extravagant or extra special then you have "really pushed the boat out"

1 hour ago, Pippin1 said:

@HopingtoHeal Congratulations on your 2 belt notch success.  My energy is on the up - as is my sleep - which will have to be good enough for me right now - as I quietly aspire to the looser clothes.

Thanks! I am beyond delighted! I can't say it is fat that I have lost necessarily, I am just normally super, SUPER bloated. Like easy to mistake me for heavily pregnant bloated. I have really lean legs and arms but for years I have just been a total ball in the middle. It's such a relief to get rid of the bloat and get some shape back, partly cause I feel better but partly because people won't feel the need to enquire when I'm due anymore - as someone dealing with infertility that will make a huge difference to my mental health!!! It's energy that I am ready for! I have been tired a lot! Perhaps we can both be hopeful of what we are after!

Archived