Kombucha Confusion

Hi there,

My It Starts With Food book only arrived today and I'm aware that, with Christmas looming, doing my full whole30 inclusive of Christmas day is looking pretty unlikely SO I am starting now but am just "practicing" between now and the end of December and will start properly in January.

Boring back story aside, I have read a lot about Kombucha on the forum but am a bit confused about it. Having never heard of it before, google has given me a good idea of what it is, but all the stuff on sale to either make or buy it mentions the use of sugar and (while I've only had time to skim ISWF so far) I'm pretty sure sugar is a no, no.

Can anyone advise whether it is allowed as is or whether you have to make a special whole30 sugar-free version in order for it to be ok to consume?

Thank you! :)

-Wendy

Sugar's necessary in the prep of kombuca, to give the bacteria something to eat/thrive on, and it's mostly used up in the fermentation stage.

As long as you buy the bottles that haven't added extra sugar in afterwards, you're okay. The difference in the labeling is like 1-2g of sugar/serving vs 15-20g. Easy to spot

I don't drink it, but some of the other folks here can give you their fave brands/flavors

Kombucha is most assuredly allowed--but with 2-4 grams of sugar per serving. Kombucha is a fermented tea, and needs the sugar to feed the scooby during the fermentation--think of it like making sourdough bread--and depending on how long it is fermented, will also determine how much sugar is left in the final product. A lot of us here brew are own and often wax poetic on 'booch. A good one to try to just see if you like it is GT gingerade. Just don't drink a lot in once sitting if you are not used to it. Start out with a few ounces and work from there!

I think people love it or hate it. I was hooked on my first taste but be warned...introducing a lot of probiotic material to your stomach without building up a tolerance can wreck havoc on your digestion system. Like spinspin alluded to the first couple bottles I drank didn't stay in my body very long if you catch my drift.

I agree with the above: be careful in the beginning. I loved Kombucha the first time I tried it and had far too much. I was sick for a week afterwards, really sick. But the doctor had heard about "the kombucha sickness", and just told me to wait - and then start again SLOWLY. Now, I am fine with drinking one or two bottles of Kombucha a day. And yes, I still love it, but it is much more expensive and difficult to find here in Sweden.

I haven't. I'm a bad paleo person. I struggle with fermented foods that aren't yogurt. I know it's delicious, i know it's good for you...I just won't go out of my way to eat/buy/make it.

It's one of my faults :)

LOL..I hated it at first...seriously hated it. I sent my friend JHMOMI an email and said WTH did you talk me into trying. By the end of the bottle, I was in love. It turned into an almost adult beverage for me.

Sorry Amy, i hadn't thought of that. The ones I buy are made with either green tea or red pu-erh tea but both of those contain caffeine. I believe people have made it with rooibosch tea which contains no caffeine but I haven't tried making it yet. Once I get started i'll let you know.

I agree with the above: be careful in the beginning. I loved Kombucha the first time I tried it and had far too much. I was sick for a week afterwards, really sick. But the doctor had heard about "the kombucha sickness", and just told me to wait - and then start again SLOWLY. Now, I am fine with drinking one or two bottles of Kombucha a day. And yes, I still love it, but it is much more expensive and difficult to find here in Sweden.

Hi Emma,

Can you tell me more about the kombucha sickness that you experienced? I recently started drinking my homebrew (after being a regular drinker of GT's brand). Is it head cold or digestive related?

I'm curious because I feel groggy in the head and wonder if its related.

Thanks,

Stephanie

If it's a fermented tea, does that mean it's caffeinated? I'd like to try it, but caffeine and I are not meant to be together.

Amy,

There is a small amount of caffeine in the store brands, nothing like regular tea tho. If you make your own, there are ways to decrease the caffeine even more, such as cold brewing.

Sure...you basically make the kombucha during the first main fermentation. Your kombucha will be a little bubbly when it's done with that initial fermentation because a byproduct of the process is carbon dioxide but you brew the tea in an open container so most of it escapes into the air. Second fermentation is when you bottle the kombucha in airtight containers and leave at room temperature for a few days (mine sits 3-5). The fermentation will continue creating carbon dioxide only in the sealed bottles it can't escape so it carbonates your kombucha.

Adding some pureed fruit (I've heard strawberries work particularly well) when you bottle the kombucha can help create even more carbonation because the bacteria has a new fresh source of sugar to create more with. It's good to play around and see what works best for your brew and your tastes. You can also alternatively add about 10-20% of some fruit juice per bottle of kombucha to flavor and aid the second ferment. Some people find it necessary to burp their bottles (open them every day or so) during the second ferment because the bottles can build up quite a bit of pressure and explode everywhere when you open them. I don't recommend this regularly (because of chemical leaching from plastic) but it can be useful to bottle it in plastic bottles while getting the hang of it because you can feel how much pressure is building inside the bottles without opening them.

Lately I've been so impatient I've been pouring the kombucha from my large gallon jugs directly into a glass and drinking it warm and plain!

Thanks for the tips, Johnny!

I'm not as interested in fruitiness as I am interested in adding lavender, like you mentioned in one of your posts. I've got some lavender in my garden. Hey, maybe some rose buds too, or rose water. Would rose water be ok? Would I just add herbs to the first ferment and be done with it, or do a second ferment with some fruit and add that stuff then? As long as I'm asking you questions, do you have a favorite tea that you use? I've been using the Keemum black that I get in bulk at Rainbow, but I'm ready to experiment.

You have to add whatever your adding to the second ferment, not the first. You can make your scoby sick otherwise. There's no scoby in the second ferment! I got lavender and elderberries at Rainbow and I boiled them and made a concentrated liquid. The liquid alone was kinda gross but added to the kombucha and fermented for 4 days and the bottle was pretty delicious. I haven't really figured out the right amounts to use yet but i'm working on it. As far as tea, I've only been brewing a month or so and have only used a huge box of organic black tea I got at rainbow. I haven't experimented with others yet. I'm going to try some white and green teas mixed with the black soon. I saw rose petals at rainbow as well as rose water and orange water and thought about trying them. They also have some interesting juices in the juice isle...things like honeydew juice! I'll keep you posted on my experiments!

Archived