menstrual cup question

DocIKY

So I had never heard of a Diva cup before I came on these forums. Read a conversation between many of you ladies of how you love the cup over everything else. I thought I'd love an option that involves never having to use a tampon again! I really want to love this thing!

Today is my first day wearing a Diva cup and I notice I am cramping more than usual. It went in well and comfortable; don't feel it at all. I'm not in excruciating pain, just mild and rather constant. Is this normal?

Your experiences and advice are greatly appreciated.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had not noticed cramping with my Diva cup, but getting positioning was a bit tricky at first.

However, after having mine since about 2004, there is no telling how much moolah I've saved.

I did buy probably 3-4 boxes of tampons during those years (and still have a partial box-LOL). Mostly, I bought those for travelling on the road when "iffy" restrooms were a possibility.

Sadly, I'm winding down in the menstruaiton department with maybe 3 periods this year and wondering what to do with my Diva cup which has served me so well. Maybe get it silver plated? (snicker)

Because of this thread, I got the final push to try a cup. I have been thinking about it for a while but, when you are younger and not as comfortable with your body these can be intimidating. I am 30 now and thought, "What the hell? I can do this!"

Well so far, so good. I am only on day one and haven't done anything strenuous but it is comfy...

I thought I had already responded in this thread, but maybe it was another one. Anyway, I used a MoonCup (from UK) for many years. Although I haven't had a period in almost a year, I thought I'd share my experience.

It can take some time to discover your sweet spot as far as positioning the cup. Keep trying! When I first started using one, I read that the proper position was low in the vag. Turns out for me, higher was better, as far as comfort goes.

I had some leaking off and on, and I discovered that making sure the cup was fully open and in a "vertical" position made all the difference. You can't be squeamish with the cup! I found that after insertion, running a finger or thumb around the rim of the cup to make sure it was completely open helped a lot! Also, it is vital that the cervix be inside the cup!! Every now and then it wasn't, and then leaking obviously occurred.

The reduction in cramping for me was instant! I had read that tampons put pressure on the cervix, and since the cup doesn't touch the cervix at all when properly inserted, that was no longer an issue.

I'm so glad I had so many happy years with my cup.

Oh, one more thing: always set a timer when boiling your cup. I ruined 2 by boiling them dry!! Also, adding some white vinegar or baking soda to your boiling water will help reduce staining on your cup, but it's inevitable that it won't look new forever. Don't let that dissuade you. My cups looked pretty gross after a few uses, but they are perfectly clean after boiling!

All the best!!

I'm going to have to try this! I had never heard about them until a few months ago and until today I had forgotten about them and looking into ordering one.. now I must remember to do this when I get home tonight! I am a little nervous, but I'm sure after the first few times it'll be a breeze!

For anyone thinking about it, TOTALLY go for it. I've only managed to convince two of my friends to switch, but they both love it too. I've been using Diva cups for five years and would never go back! The first day I ever used it my cramps were awful, but that definitely goes away. Once it's in, twisting it around seals it to minimize any leakage or anything. :)

• 3 months later...

Today is my first day wearing a Diva cup and I notice I am cramping more than usual. It went in well and comfortable; don't feel it at all. I'm not in excruciating pain, just mild and rather constant. Is this normal?

Your experiences and advice are greatly appreciated.

I find that sometimes on heavier days, I will feel more cramping than usual after I insert the cup, but if I wait a half hour or so, it goes away. And then, sometimes when it's about time to change it, like after 8 hours or so, I'll start to feel cramps again. It took me many years of using the cup to realize this, but now I see cramps as signs that my flow is working, or that it's time to rinse my cup out. Granted, my cramps are usually mild, and your mileage may vary.

I have become intrigued by this! After reading reviews of the Diva Cup on Amazon, I am really considering purchasing one but I am not sure which model to buy. I am almost 41 with no children and still have pretty heavy periods in the beginning of my cycle. I guess I am just not sure what the difference between the two...

I have become intrigued by this! After reading reviews of the Diva Cup on Amazon, I am really considering purchasing one but I am not sure which model to buy. I am almost 41 with no children and still have pretty heavy periods in the beginning of my cycle. I guess I am just not sure what the difference between the two...

Buy the size 2. That's what they recommend if you are post-30 even with no childbirth. Even without childbirth things change due to gravity and elasticity changing as you age. The Keeper is a different shape/method than the Diva Cup FYI so that may be why it fits the same as you age.

And another BIG vote for the Diva Cup. My only regret is not purchasing one sooner.

I'm so glad I found the Diva Cup as early as I did. I have two of them now. I took it to Afghanistan with me last spring through fall. I've changed it out in a Porta-Potty because there was no water left on the FOB (it sucked but was doable with two bottles of water to rinse it out well enough). I'm a helicopter pilot by trade, and we don't have bathrooms to use while flying. We have to be able to fly 8 hours straight (been there, done that, got the backache to prove it). Needless to say, I am obsessed with my cup.

I've had one spill that was awful, but it wasn't bad enough for me to stop using it. I use a pad in case of leaks (if I'm in a meeting and can't go to the bathroom as soon as I feel it or while I'm asleep...) at least for now. I've been considering switching to reusable on that too, just haven't yet.

I've gotten one person to switch. Our conversation pretty much went like this: (she'd just shared an awkward newlywed never had sex before tip with me right before my wedding)

Me: so, while we're in the awkward area, you need to look up the Diva Cup. Like seriously.

Her, four months later: Thank you so much for telling me about the Diva Cup! I love it!

End of conversation, hahaha.

So yes, I love it. So much. So does my husband (never buying feminine hygiene products = saving money.

If you have questions, ask. I might as well be a spokesman for them!

I love my Diva cup! I've given away all my tampons and pads, I have a stack of cotton reusable pads for leak guards (I have a heavy flow the first couple days). I changed mine out in an Amtrak train bathroom once, would have been better if the train wasn't moving but all was well! For those thinking of getting one - just do it! You won't regret it. I've recommended it to a couple close friends but no one has made the switch yet. They both have an ick-factor issue, and you do have to get over that. It's not worse than a tampon, just different. There are some videos in the Diva Cup website that really help out answering those logistical questions. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I tell EVERY woman I know about the Diva Cup, it changed my life! I used to think tampons were "the bomb" and that ladies who used pads were so "last century", and now I feel that way about tampons too! I don't miss having to carry them around with me, or forgetting them or running out of them which is worse, I don't miss the smell of the trash in the bathroom, the waste of tp used in disposing of them, the irritation and smell of the string, and the irritation of the bleached cotton itself. I have washable panty liners in really cute fabrics that I bought on Etsy and I'll wear those for the pre-days and the heavy days, they are so soft and so much nicer than disposables. I was out of town last month and didn't have my Diva with me so I had to buy tampons and I couldn't believe what a pain they were and how expensive! I haven't had to buy them in years :)

I travel a LOT and I have changed my cup on airplanes, in port-a-pottys, and in squats. Sometimes I can only give it a swipe with tp instead of a full out rinsing.

To help with odor I often store it in a baggie with baking soda between months.

It looks scary, but I promise it is no bigger than tampons are once they've soaked stuff up. Just fold it in half (push one side into the other until it makes a C shape) and it fits fine. I promise! And once you've done it once or twice, you won't even feel it either (crazy, right?). It's how I don't hate my life once a month. :-D

Archived