Starting January 2!

Framed Cooks

I cooked a handful of baby red potatoes and onions and jalapeños last night to pair with a lamb chop and cabbage and squash. The veggies were awesome, but I let the coconut oil get too hot with the lamb and the taste was not pleasant. Edible, but I’ll be more careful next time. I thought it had a high heat tolerance. Nope. Also threw in some avocado. I’m having leftover cauliflower chicken fried rice for lunch today. It is pretty good. I didn’t take anything out of the freezer for tonight, so eggs are on the menu. 

• Replies 665
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Found buried in the freezer over the weekend, a huge whole salmon!  The Hubs baked it last night with just a little ghee, lemon and salt free seasoning, yumm-o!  Then he tagged me on FB in the salmon patties with tarter sauce, dinner is served!   

Hi all!  I don't know about anyone else, but the mornings seem to go by too quick in my home and I usually don't allow myself enough time to make a decent breakfast.  Lucky for me, I could eat the same thing for breakfast everyday for a month and be completely content.  Which brings me to the point of this post.  One way I make mornings more manageable is by always having breakfast casserole at the ready.

I use 10 eggs, 2 small or 1 large potato cubed (white or sweet - it helps to put these in the microwave for a minute or two to soften them up a bit), 1 chopped onion, 2 chopped bell peppers, 1lb of homemade (or compliant store bought) sausage (browned with the onions), 1T red pepper flakes, salt and pepper to taste.  Bake in 9x12 dish at 375° for 40ish minutes (or until the eggs are cooked) and cut it into 8-10 pieces.  I store it in a gallon sized ziplock in the refrigerator and pull out 1-2 pieces each morning, pop it in the microwave and then top with 1/4 avocado.  It's delicious, covers all of the food groups, and takes less than 5 minutes to prepare on a crazy busy morning!

Hope you're all enjoying this beautiful Humpday!  It's raining here, but it's still beautiful! :) 

2 hours ago, Garden Gal said:

I cooked a handful of baby red potatoes and onions and jalapeños last night to pair with a lamb chop and cabbage and squash. The veggies were awesome, but I let the coconut oil get too hot with the lamb and the taste was not pleasant. Edible, but I’ll be more careful next time. I thought it had a high heat tolerance. Nope. Also threw in some avocado. I’m having leftover cauliflower chicken fried rice for lunch today. It is pretty good. I didn’t take anything out of the freezer for tonight, so eggs are on the menu. 

Personally I much prefer Avocado Oil to Coconut Oil for my cooking. Never had an issue with burning.

3 hours ago, Srini said:

Pan seared mahi mahi for dinner. Made it with ghee and squeezed lemon on top. Ate a side of roasted root vegetable medley, with curry sauce. Was awesome !!!!

If you havent used ghee before, i highly recommend it.

If i cook like this every night - whole 30 will be a breeze.

Love ghee! And Ive totally been lazy and just bought a jar from Trader Joes. 

I had the same question about avocado.  I eat more than one a day (they are so good right now).  I will need to get more olives :).  Thanks for the info above.

Really annoying lunch gig fiasco thing just now - but - I didn't cave and resort to eating just anything (which I might have done 2 weeks ago).  Went back to office and researched "grass fed beef" (it's all I could think of in my hangry state) and ended up with healthy burger patties - and lettuce, tomato and avocado! 

Do you feel like your resolve is getting easier?  

18 hours ago, JohannaE said:

I was going to make homemade mayo this week, and then I got to the store and found that avocado oil was $8.99 and a huge thing of organic compliant mayo was $3.99. I had no shame in taking the easy way out this time!

What store had avocado oil for $8.99? 

Hi everyone! So, I decided to make the chicken curry recipe in the Whole 30 book last night, but of course didn't read it all the way through for directions first because I had all the ingredients and thought "fine, I can do this."  Well, after looking at the complexity of three pots/pans/dishes plus a food processor which I don't own, I was about to throw in the towel, it was getting late, but then I thought I'd improvise. I really detest cooking so always try to make things easy.  Here's what I did:

2 chicken breasts in a Pyrex dish, sprinkled with a ton of baby spinach, then a layer of sliced potatoes.  I smothered all that in curry sauce which I made with olive oil, onion, garlic, crushed tomatoes, coconut cream, a TON of hot madras curry powder, (I love spicy) and salt and pepper. Put it in the oven for 50 minutes and voila!  Tasty, succulent chicken with veggies all in one dish!

Welcome to "the hardest days" y'all. I woke up this morning and really did NOT want the breakfast I had prepped. I've officially hit the breakfast rut. While my breakfasts haven't been the same everyday and I think I do a pretty good job of keeping my menus "fresh", they usually incorporate some combination of sweet potato, egg, brussels sprouts, avocado and meat.  Anyone else experiencing a food rut?

Happy day 10 everyone!

I haven't posted in a couple of days - hadn't been feeling great, was tired, and losing motivation, but I powered through - sticking to the plan, going to bed extra early, and trying to remind myself that with only a week or so in, it was unrealistic to expect that I would be seeing massive changes.  I also followed along with everyone's posts and found it helped to hear how everyone was doing!

Waking up today, felt much better!  On Sunday, I had meal prepped, planning on doing homemade chicken sausage patties (Whole30 book) with spaghetti squash topped with a veggie mixture, but Monday the spaghetti squash and cooked veggies were very unappealing to me.  So, instead I have been having the patties with a large salad of mixed greens topped with olive oil, vinegar and herbs and a hard-boiled egg on the mornings where I was extra hungry.  This morning, I also added a half of an orange, a few blueberries and coconut flakes - DELICIOUS!  I'm not too worried about adding the fruit, since I haven't been eating much of it during the past nine days.  

To avoid wasting the cooked veggies I mentioned above - I ended up throwing them with the spaghetti squash, adding leftover chicken, and topping with a curry sauce (based on this recipe: https://thehealthyfoodie.com/butternut-squash-kale-ground-beef-breakfast-bowl/)  and had it for a dinner and lunch this week - my favorite meals so far this W30!

I hope everyone has a great day 10!

We are a third of the way there!!!  Woot!  How are you all doing?  I am feeling really well and enjoying the meals.  I make the same main dish to serve for my non whole 30 family and even they are enjoying it (most of the time).  This soup was a hit last night https://www.jaysbakingmecrazy.com/2017/09/04/paleo-whole30-chicken-pot-pie-soup/ and I served it with rolls for the crew and a spinach and strawberry salad with grated beets and almonds and a homemade balsamic vinagrette.  Keep on keeping on guys, we can do this!  :)

On 1/8/2018 at 12:33 PM, Christiana said:

I am so amazed that for me, I am doing this!!!!!! I hope you all feel the same! 

I spent football Sunday  at a sports bar drinking water and unsweet tea! I ordered steak bites plain! Who am I ??????? LOL

I think the biggest surprise is that a LOT of the teas I have on hand are not compliant! Yogi has stevia, some of my Teavana have things listed like candied fruit pieces! 

With that being said, what are some delicious teas to sip at night, while your spouse is having wine. Grrrrrr......

Yes!  I feel the same way.  I can't believe I have made it 1/3 through Whole30!  I am finding solace in a cup of tea at night when my hubby has a wine/beer.  Also, I treated myself at the grocery store yesterday by buying the latest People magazine that features women who have lost more than half of their weight.  It is inspirational!  Even though I don't agree with the Nutri system/optifast methods that many of them used, I still am impressed with their resolve and dedication.  I don't need to loose half my body weight, so it should be easier for me - but it's tough to stick to it.  I just keep telling myself that I am smart and strong for making these changes  - and that the changes are not really a sacrifice, but a smarter way to live.

3 hours ago, JohannaE said:

Trader's Joe brand! It's their organic one.

Not sure if it's the same as in the thread I'm linking to, but you may want to check the ingredients on your mayonnaise just in case. If it's made with canola oil or soybean oil, it's not compliant.

12 hours ago, LagunaRover said:

Hi everyone! So, I decided to make the chicken curry recipe in the Whole 30 book last night, but of course didn't read it all the way through for directions first because I had all the ingredients and thought "fine, I can do this."  Well, after looking at the complexity of three pots/pans/dishes plus a food processor which I don't own, I was about to throw in the towel, it was getting late, but then I thought I'd improvise. I really detest cooking so always try to make things easy.  Here's what I did:

2 chicken breasts in a Pyrex dish, sprinkled with a ton of baby spinach, then a layer of sliced potatoes.  I smothered all that in curry sauce which I made with olive oil, onion, garlic, crushed tomatoes, coconut cream, a TON of hot madras curry powder, (I love spicy) and salt and pepper. Put it in the oven for 50 minutes and voila!  Tasty, succulent chicken with veggies all in one dish!

Kudos to you.  Good cooks improvise all the time.  Good food doesn't have to be hard to be good.  Whole30 has left us with a lot of options to make some really tasty dishes.  Your chicken curry sounds yummy!

Happy day 10 everyone!  I really love reading everyone's posts.  All the recipes, ideas and motivation are really helpful.  My biggest "craving" has been to step on a scale!!  This is really strange as typically I only step on a scale about once a month... Anyway, I hadn't put the scale away since I really don't use it, but I had to yesterday because everytime I walked by it I was so tempted to step on it.  Also, I'm curious if there are any other women over 50 out there.  I'm asking because one of the things I was hoping to see a difference in is my sleeping.  I don't know if I am still waking up at night just because of my age or if I need to wait a bit longer to see an improvement in that area.  I do think the quality of my sleep is better but I hate waking up at 3 am every night :(

Hi @Kathy from Texas,

I'm 60 and from Texas, too.  I have had issues with sleep for a long time now - at least 10 years.  I also am hoping to see an improvement in my sleep with Whole30.  I often stay up late (past midnight) because I have trouble falling asleep.   If I go to bed earlier then I'll be awake by 3am or 4am and often cannot fall back asleep.  Little by little I've developed a bad habit of having some wine before bed so that I can fall asleep easier and stay asleep longer.  Sometimes that works, but it obviously has some other unwanted side effects...especially weight gain.  The good news is that this week so far I've been getting sleepy earlier in the evening and am falling to sleep easier.  I was in bed by 10:30 last night.  I woke up at 6am, but I feel like that's a big improvement.  I'm trying to add walking back into my daily routine and I think that is helping as well.  

4 hours ago, JohannaE said:

Welcome to "the hardest days" y'all. I woke up this morning and really did NOT want the breakfast I had prepped. I've officially hit the breakfast rut. While my breakfasts haven't been the same everyday and I think I do a pretty good job of keeping my menus "fresh", they usually incorporate some combination of sweet potato, egg, brussels sprouts, avocado and meat.  Anyone else experiencing a food rut?

I am in the "food is out to get me" mode. I had to go to the grocery store and it is like the cakes and cheese are just looking at me pass them by, lol. I do love eggs, but I avoid the rut by eating whatever premade or left overs I have i made the chili from the Whole 30 program book late last night and let it cook in the slow cooker until this morning. I had that for breakfast and it was good. Yesterday, I had a compliant apple chicken sausage and half a baked potato and half an avocado for breakfast.  

On January 9, 2018 at 1:45 PM, ShannonM816 said:

It can be a sign of ketosis, which is why you've had it on other low-carb diets. Whole30 doesn't have to be low-carb, but if you're not going out of your way to make sure you get carbs it can end up that way, and people need different amounts of carbs to avoid it. Our usual recommendation is that people start with one fist-sized serving of starchy vegetable each day, but you can definitely have more than that if you need it. Starchy vegetables would be potato, sweet potato, and other root vegetables like beets, turnips, rutabagas, carrots, or parsnips, and winter squashes like butternut or acorn squash. Fruit is also higher carb, just be sure you're eating it with meals, not on its own.

Not getting enough water might also cause a weird taste or feel in your mouth, so be sure you're hydrated. We recommend 1/2 oz of water per pound of body weight, so a 120 lb person would need at least 60 oz. 

Some medications can cause this, so if you've started any new meds lately, maybe read up on their side effects. If this does continue even after you try adding more carbs and drinking plenty of water, do check with your doctor or dentist just to rule out any underlying issues that aren't necessarily food-related.

Thank you!  I feel like I eat plenty of fruit and I couldn't live without my sweet potato fix.  I'm trying more water and it helps a little.  Starting to feel better every day.

Archived