ideas for SAME breakfast everyday?

lizitapola

Hi everyone,

I just started my second whole 30. My first one wasn't a success. I ended up eating some food items that might have been not allowed (not on purpose), and after that lost the motivation.

But this time I'm starting strong! I have planned my meals for every day of the week and have gotten the groceries and informed everyone around me about the restrictions.

I'm looking for advice on breakfast though. I'm a person of habits. I normally have the SAME breakfast for months and rotate through the year. My rotation goes from yogurt with fruits and granola, to cream of wheat, etc. Mainly because I can prep ahead for the week (and I have to leave the house really early for work).

I would like to have the same breakfast with whole30, even if I have to switch it up every week, I'm always afraid I'm missing out on some protein/fat. This week I prepped a frittata on Sunday and I have been eating that all week long. It has zucchini, peppers, onions, turkey sausage and 12 eggs. However, it seems to me that I might be missing out on potatoes or squash?

If anyone has breakfast ideas that can be prepped for the whole week, that are recommendable on portions, I would love to hear it!

THANKS!

• Administrators

Lots of people do "mono-meal" for breakfast all week. Or any meal for that matter. I have chili all week this week for lunch, last week I had turkey kale soup for lunch every day. It's fine. You won't develop any sort of nutritional deficiency by repeating a breakfast for a week. ;) Just try to get variety over the long term and you'll be fine.  

I usually switch up my breakfast every week or two while on W30. I usually make egg muffins (SO easy - probably similar to your frittata. They'd be delicious with a dollop of guac on them) and if I am in a hurry or heading to a morning workout class, I usually eat a banana with some sunflower butter (the sugar-free version) on it! 

I like to make the frittata and a sweet potato hash for breakfast. I just make up individual portions and grab in the morning. If it’s too much food, I am able to repackage it and finish for a mini-meal later that morning. I find this keeps me satisfied for up 6 hours, so if I eat at 6 am I’m good till lunch around 12-1. 

Don’t forget about fats! If you drink coffee you can add coconut milk to it to get the fat for that meal. Or add some avocado/guac/mayo/nut butter spread on the frittata. Or a handful of nuts or coconut flakes are good too (these would be easy to package for the week). 

I just started my second whole30 yesterday! Good luck!

I brought a large container of salad and bunch of soft boiled eggs for breakfast this week. Was so easy and will be my go-to for the rest of my whole 30. The soft boiled stay yolky all week and acts as a dressing! So yum! 

Good luck and have fun! :) 

I whisk pureed squash into the eggs, maybe like a third cup for 6 eggs, when I make my breakfast frittata-things for the week--gives it a kind of souffle texture and taste that improves when cold (so I can eat it right out of the fridge), and keeps it moist and not rubbery. Really good if I char some green onion bits in the pan before pouring in all the veg/egg mixture!

• Moderators
1 hour ago, chichi said:

I whisk pureed squash into the eggs, maybe like a third cup for 6 eggs, when I make my breakfast frittata-things for the week--gives it a kind of souffle texture and taste that improves when cold (so I can eat it right out of the fridge), and keeps it moist and not rubbery. Really good if I char some green onion bits in the pan before pouring in all the veg/egg mixture!

Oh man, I JUST made my weekly frittatta and this is such a good idea!  This week mine was a ground pork, eggs, frozen chopped spinach (thawed), sliced water chestnuts and sliced bamboo shoots and sautee'd mushrooms with sesame oil but canned pumpkin would have fluffed it up a bit!  Next time! 

On 1/14/2018 at 9:13 PM, chichi said:

Yeah it really adds surprising volume and makes the texture a lot more appealing as a leftover! I actually look forward to this food after burning out on it (sans pumpkin).

I'm so happy to see this recommendation - my biggest beef with frittatas is how rubbery the eggs get after being in the fridge. What kind of squash do you use? Is it cooked first and then pureed?

@CGinDC I use any winter squash or eating pumpkin--The most bang for your prep buck would be butternut, kabocha (the driest flesh, richest flavor), and pumpkins. Pumpkins are a little waterier-fleshed than squash, which is okay, adding some moisture in this context is good. There's pumpkins for jack-o-lanterns and then there's pumpkins for eating, definitely way different flavor. If you find a crookneck pumpkin, they have the most flesh versus seed cavity (they look like a butternut but very elongated).

I end up baking a whole bunch of pumpkins/squash in the fall and winter when they are best, and then puree and freeze it in small freezer bags. Now's the time!

My husband and I rotate through the same two breakfasts --- all the time. We're creatures of habit, when it comes to food, too. 

Our favorite Whole30 one is roasted sweet potatoes with fried eggs, and either half an avocado each or half an apple each with a spoon of almond butter. 

We've been eating that for MONTHS and haven't gotten sick of it. Granted, we occasionally scramble the eggs when we accidentally break the yolk. :)

My first meal of the day is very close to the same every day...since my first W30 in 2012.

I always have in the refrigerator: cooked ground beef (or other meat) with onions and mushrooms; roasted Brussels sprouts; fried cauliflower rice; steam-baked potatoes (Instant Pot); braised kale or other greens; and roasted sweet potatoes, as well as other prepped vegetables.

In a skillet, I heat up the meat, sprouts and either rice or potatoes; throw in any other veggies. Then I top the whole mess with 2-3 eggs fried in ghee. Some hot sauce adds some zing, and I'll have some sliced tomatoes or other vegetables on the side. Avocado is a good addition, too.

I also like to use leftovers like Kalua Pig, and follow the same process. It's the same but different every day.

Also, every week, as part of my cook up, I make an 8-serving breakfast casserole. (That's mostly for my husband who, on his own would eat cheerios with lots of sugar and milk every day.) Some days, I'll take a serving of the casserole to work and have at lunchtime, topped with salsa and guacamole. It's good hot or cold.

I normally eat leftovers for breakfast. I'm not a huge egg person so I've taken a different route. I have leftover veggies, if we don't have enough I'll prep some during dinner, or make extra protein to set aside to go with my morning veggies. This has worked out well for me.

We eat a lot of frittata or sweet potato crust quiche (you slice sweet potatoes and roast the rounds in the quiche tin to make a "crust" of roasted sweet potato, then let the sweet potatoes cool and fill the quiche with eggs and other vegetables). This week we're having roasted bell peppers and balsamic mushrooms and onions in the filling. 

Archived