Ann is Doin' It Again!

Ann

The fleeting enjoyment you will get tonight will be nothing compared to the enjoyment you can have tomorrow by NOT drinking.

Tomorrow, you get to say that you beat down the grape dangling wine wench :) and that you will NOT be controlled by urges and cravings.

You are MUCH stronger than that.

Tell voice number 1 that I said to shut the heck up! :P

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 6, whew.

B - 2 fried eggs, olives and guacamole, spinach sautéed w onions, slice of bacon.

L - leftover WF rotisserie chicken and sautéed sweet peppers/onions, sliced cucumber, olives

S1 - apple

S2 - Wilshire Farms pastrami (a couple thin slices)

D - chocolate chili topped w avocado and olives.

(apparently I was in an olive mood today)

c2d273205ec111e2a57122000a1fbe0e_6.jpg

da4c46345ec111e28b9422000a1f8af5_6.jpg

ee1ea8fa5ec111e28e5d22000a1f979a_6.jpg

I find weekends hardest too. I strongly associate wine and food with relaxation and having a fun night. During the week I'm definitely a creature of habit. Almost every hour is accounted for! It seems like you're doing great and I'm going to steal a few of your meal ideas : )

Had breakfast with girlfriends, and despite my best efforts (called ahead, twice, with menu questions), I ended up having some canola oil. Eating out while on a Whole30 is hard. Not as hard as quitting heroin or beating cancer, but it is hard. Other than the canola oil used to cook my omelet though, my meal was clean.

Proud to have made it through the first week. My energy was definitely up this weekend, and I got a lot accomplished, and even squeezed in a visit with my dad (hadn't seen him since Christmas Eve). My house is clean, laundry done (AND put away!), fridge full of good stuff, including a fresh batch of mayo and ghee and three shredded sweet potatoes, and I returned $40 of stuff to Home Depot which had been sitting in the garage since November waiting to be returned. I feel good. Oh, and I use an iPhone app that monitors sleep quality -- I got a 99% score last night for the first time ever! This alone makes me happy I did not give in to the wine urge last night :).

S - banana

B - omelet loaded with veggies and topped w avocado, black coffee.

S - Lara Bar

L - breakfast was late (11am) so no lunch today.

D - Best Chicken Ever from Well Fed, roasted cauliflower, sweet potato fritters.

337236c45ec211e2b9a022000a1fa535_6.jpg

1a72ef7a5ec611e2b52d22000a9f189b_6.jpg

Made homemade chicken stock last night :) Yum! I'm thinking this is like the idea that it won't ever rain if you remember to bring an umbrella with you --- if I stock up on good chicken stock, we will NOT get the flu this season!

2aaa590c5ebf11e2896422000a1fb003_6.jpg

Day 8. Actually nothing of interest to report, at all. Just chugging along, feeling pretty good about things.

B - Spinach fritatta, olives, strip of bacon

L - Chocolate chili, 1/2 avocado, apple

S - Dried pineapple (3 rings)

D - Braised pork tenderloin with cinnamon apples, (somewhat mangled) sweet potato fritter, mixed veggies sauteed in olive oil

Thanks to someone else who posted on here about shredding up a bunch of sweet potatoes on Sunday -- I'm enjoying fritters with dinner, which is something I usually would have not had except on weekends because it was just a little more hassle than I cared to deal with.

aa9eefbc5ec711e2ace922000a1f90f6_6.jpg

b15e14b85ec711e2a52022000a1f9e5e_6.jpg

6ea383ce5ec711e2b95b22000a1fab39_6.jpg

Day 9. Dental appointment this morning, I have a new crown. I hate the dentist, and for the first time, I had nitrous oxide. Why haven't I asked for gas every time?! It made the dental work so much less stressful. I hope nitrous oxide is W30 approved .... :o Other than a sore mouth/jaw, I'm feeling good again today, and not having too much trouble sticking with the plan. Biggest temptation -- receptionist put a dish of Dove dark chocolates (oooh, how I love these) on her desk. I just averted my eyes.

B - Two fried eggs, strip of bacon, sauteed spinach, 1/2 banana

L - Leftover chicken, 1/2 avocado, leftover cauliflower

S - one dried pineapple ring

D - Stir fry with beef, broccoli, mushrooms, asparagus, various other veggies, and stir fry sauce from Well Fed.

e80ef67a5f3611e288ea22000a1f9318_6.jpg

7da25ee45f8611e2987422000a9e08f2_6.jpg

And stir fry dinner -- this may have the about the quickest meal I've put together for dinner -- stir fry! I bought the beef at Whole Foods already cut up for stir fry, as well as an "asparagus stir fry" veggie pack with all kinds of good vegetables. Not as inexpensive as cutting everything up myself, but it sure did make a quick (and very yummy) dinner (probably less than 10 minutes start to finish, including making the super delicious sauce (from Well Fed).

2e9426125f8511e285b022000a9f15de_6.jpg

That stir fry looks delightful! Also, going back to respond to your posts about the weekend being harder, I totally agree. On weekdays, I have a pretty regular routine, so I make and pack my meals and I'm off. On the weekend, I'm either rushing around or sitting at home, and there's just so much food available and I don't eat at my normal times... always makes me need to snack. :/

Just finished the best dinner so far of my Whole30 -- seared albacore with ginger lime homemade mayo and avocado, wrapped in lettuce. It was actually really messy to eat, the mayo kind of went everywhere, and the tuna and avocado just slipped around in the lettuce wrap. But MAN, it was soooooooo good!!! And again, one of the quicker recipes I've put together. The tuna sears in like 3 minutes or less per side, and the mayo was just a matter of mixing it with fresh grated ginger and a big squeeze of lime. I found frozen albacore medallions at Whole Foods - wild caught, sustainable (distributed out of Seattle), $13.20/pound, my package was .75# so $9.90 for two people, not that bad for how very delicious and easy it was.

Okay, day 10:

B - Fritatta with sweet red and yellow peppers, topped with olives and fresh tomato, strip of bacon,

L - Spinach salad with artichoke crowns, tomato, olives, sweet peppers, cucumber, Wellshire pastrami, olive oil/balsamic

S - Spoonful of coconut butter, 2 dried pineapple rings

D - Seared albacore with ginger/lime mayo and avocado, green leaf lettuce

ee0f87a2605711e299e522000a9e28c4_6.jpg

177686cc605811e282a722000a1f9d5f_6.jpg

35cf99a6605811e285a622000a1f9e5b_6.jpg

I'm glad you graduated to having a full strip of bacon. I was chuckling at your "half strip of bacon" with those earlier breakfasts!

It felt like triumph to get that 99% perfect sleep after fighting off the wine dragon. Beautiful.

My bacon is sort of a treat - it is expensive, and I generally make a full strip for my 19yo son, and half for me, partly bc it lasts longer, and because it is SO good, half a piece satisfies me. Plus, I don't think bacon every day is the best idea (but in doing it anyway, so there). :)

Um no (blush/busted) Another reason for a half piece. It is very high quality though, and since this is W30 #2 for me, I'm permitting myself this one off-plan thing. I swear, everyone, I'm being otherwise 100%!!!

I get it at Whole Foods - Wellshire Farms.

Um no (blush/busted) Another reason for a half piece. It is very high quality though, and since this is W30 #2 for me, I'm permitting myself this one off-plan thing. I swear, everyone, I'm being otherwise 100%!!!

I get it at Whole Foods - Wellshire Farms.

Oops..sorry Ann. Really did not mean to out you. :)

Day 11, whee! A co-worker is selling Girl Scout cookies. It was a mistake to even LOOK at the brochure thing. Her evil little dish of Dove Dark Chocolates immediately started SCREAMING for me to take one. But I did not. Instead, I had a nice spoonful of coconut butter, which actually did help.

B - Two fried eggs, sauteed spinach/kale/chard, and A SLICE OF BACON :P

L - Spinach/kale/chard salad with artichoke crowns, olives, tomatoes, cucumber, onion, topped with roast beef and olive oil/balsamic.

S - spoonful of coconut butter

D - Sun dried tomato/garlic chicken, brussels sprouts & mushrooms, sweet potato fritters

54dc2dee611311e28d6622000a1fbc43_6.jpg

bc81f7fc611411e2a5d622000a1e94d6_6.jpg

fcadd9e4611f11e2bcaf22000a1fbcb3_6.jpg

Your meals look yummy! Wouldn't it be fun to take turns having dinner parties?

Coconut butter is my lifesaver too.

You made me laugh about the bacon! I cannot restrain myself when I eat bacon so I have it about once a month and I eat all I want. What a treat. However, I found out that my local pastured source adds canola oil in processing the bacon. There are two packages of it in my freezer; I'll eat 'em when I'm off the W30. Meanwhile I'm trying to cure some pork belly to make my own bacon. Fingers crossed there. But man, hat's off to you for just having half a slice (or one slice) and being satisfied!

I'm experiencing some pretty intense cravings tonight. I worked late and was VERY hungry by the time I got in my car to head home. If anyone heard the dialogue in my head on my drive home, I'd probably be committed to the loony bin. Fortunately, I was bringing home the extra roast beef I had at work that didn't get eaten up on my salads, so I nibbled on that on my drive. I really really thought about stopping for a small bottle of wine, just the little half-size, that's all I need .... I knew I had enough leftovers for one at home, so I drove through Burgerville for my son (he turns 19 next week, I really shouldn't baby him so.... but that's a whole nother story). I think the drive through menu, coupled with the smell of fresh french fries in the sack on the seat next to me just about pushed me over the edge. I want a milkshake, some dark chocolate, I want cheese and crackers, and WINE. Oh, how I want a glass of wine. *sigh* I'm sticking with my leftover chicken and brussels sprouts. *sigh again*

B - kale/chard/spinach omelet with frank's red hot, 1/2 strip bacon, 1/2 avocado

L - kale/chard/spinach salad with lots of veggies, topped with roast beef, olive oil/vinegar, generous handful of green grapes

S1 - 2 dried pineapple rings

S2 - handful of Whole Foods deli roast beef

D - leftover chicken/sun dried tomatoes, brussels sprouts & mushrooms

b6b65aac61af11e2a1fa22000a1f9261_6.jpg

d546b8ea61af11e29f7222000a9f130b_6.jpg

dc9a6ce061eb11e2ad1322000a9e28e6_6.jpg

Oh, man -- you had a fast food burger and fries in the car with you! Respect for holding strong.

As far as the cravings, Ann, I wonder if you're eating enough at your meals (or having enough meals). Your meals look scrumptious but I would be taking much bigger helpings. (If that's the amount I was eating, I'd be gnawing the woodwork! ;))

Granted I'm eating 9+ cups of vegetables a day. And a "serving" of eggs is 3 eggs for me. So I may not be the poster child for reasonable amounts to be eating. But I've got zero cravings.

You've done a Whole30 before and this is my first one so feel free to ignore me on this!

Terez

I really do think I'm eating enough, my pictures might not show very well how much is actually on the plate (I think it's hard to see how "thick" a piece of meat is, or how high the veggies are piled). My omelets have 2 1/2 or 3 eggs (I make a 5-6 egg omelet and split it w my son), and a skillet heaped over with greens. My lunch salad, in addition to completely filling a dinner plate with greens and veggies, has a fairly large handful of roast beef, generous olive oil dressing, and one or two other fats most days (olives and/or avocado), and dinner varies, but I try to shoot for the template (palm size or two protein, fill rest of plate w veggies, some sort of fat). And up til the last couple days, I haven't had much of a problem w cravings (other than the weekend wine, which is I'm sure more behavioral than physiological).

And guess what?? I use an iPhone sleep app, and had my very first 100% sleep quality last night!! Since I got the app last fall, I usually ranged from 60-80%, sometimes as low as 30%. This has got to be a sign I'm doing something right!

858039e4625411e2a94622000a1fbd9f_6.jpg

Archived