4/2/2018 Starting Whole30

deviin22

10 hours ago, Dave K said:

Thank you @Aud1 for the link above and the trader joe’s Article. Do you like the nom nom paleo app? 

I don't have the app. I have all of her cookbooks, and reference her website frequently. I like the cookbooks, but find that saving the recipes to my Paprika app for easy reference is much more user friendly.

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for replying to @KelK95, @Dave K! I hesitaed to respond because I need to plan more and spruce up my own lunch plans. A favorite of mine will probably be similar to yesterday, only yesterday I was missing veggies. I stocked up on Whole30 approved canned chicken breast, tuna, and salmon. I got it from Thrive which has spectacular prices for approved products. Yesterday was canned smoked chicken breast with plan approved Avocado Oil and Greek Herbs Dressing. Outstanding. And, also dark bing cherries. Followed by a delicious cup of Ginger Tea. Today I will plan more and ship for groceries. Let’s keep each other posted on ideas as we progress! Be encouraged! Dianne

6 minutes ago, Aud1 said:

I don't have the app. I have all of her cookbooks, and reference her website frequently. I like the cookbooks, but find that saving the recipes to my Paprika app for easy reference is much more user friendly.

Thank you so much for the feedback @Aud1 and for leading us to her website and books! Just excellent! I so appreciate you and your sharing!! Be encouraged, Dianne

24 minutes ago, Aud1 said:

Thank you @Aud1, I will probable spend time reviewing the website before purchasing the app. 

25 minutes ago, Hope4Overcomers said:

Thanks for replying to @KelK95, @Dave K! I hesitaed to respond because I need to plan more and spruce up my own lunch plans. A favorite of mine will probably be similar to yesterday, only yesterday I was missing veggies. I stocked up on Whole30 approved canned chicken breast, tuna, and salmon. I got it from Thrive which has spectacular prices for approved products. Yesterday was canned smoked chicken breast with plan approved Avocado Oil and Greek Herbs Dressing. Outstanding. And, also dark bing cherries. Followed by a delicious cup of Ginger Tea. Today I will plan more and ship for groceries. Let’s keep each other posted on ideas as we progress! Be encouraged! Dianne

Sounds like a plan! Variety will help the 30 days go by a little faster :). For week 2 the plan is to do a better job of creating enough for dinner to have leftovers for the following days lunch as indicated in the book. We're still trying to get ourselves acclimated to the book.

Day 1 was a complete success in my world. Plenty of good food, three meals, no snacking, no hunger. And I slept so well last night -- one of those NSVs that I like very much.

Tonight I need to make White Chicken Chili in the crock pot. Served over cauliflower rice, it has become a staple in my new diet. I'm not fond of spicy food, so my "chili" turns out more like a flavorful chicken soup, but I enjoy it.

@KelK95 here's a lunch suggestion -- layer cooked chicken, chopped avocado and your favorite salsa (watch out for additives in the store-bought stuff). You can make this stacked lunch with as much or as little food as you want. The fat in the avocado will keep you satisfied all afternoon! And you could add your favorite lettuces, veggies, etc if it makes you happy. Lunch is a celebration.

@Hope4Overcomers, as the laziest cook you will ever meet, my daily prep is minimal -- dish out prepared food, heat it up. This is only possible if you cook enough food on the weekend to last the week. I make two larger recipes -- White Chicken Chili and Beef & Tomatoes are my favorites -- and I buy a roasted chicken from the grocery and strip off all the meat. This guarantees I have great options waiting for me every time I open the refrigerator.

At Trader Joe's -- ghee and frozen cauliflower rice are the bomb!

17 hours ago, Amy Rose said:

Do you have any tried & true recipes you are already planning to make? I love to hear what other people have come to reply on.

So one of my tasty go-to lunches is a BLT salad - I use paleo bacon and pump it up with some avocado, hard boiled egg and dress it with a little homemade mayo and white balsamic vinegar.

Last round I got a spiralizer and that was a lot of fun! I used it to make zucchini, beet, carrot, and potato noodles which I ate with paleo-meat sauce, compliant pesto and just as a side dish. Added a little variety to another favorite, spaghetti squash. And so colorful!

I love GT's Euphoria Kombucha. It is very peppery so I dilute it with some sparkling water. It's a nice refreshing drink after work and the probiotics help my tummy.

This time I want to try out more pressure-cooker recipes. I only have the book It starts with Food, which I loaned to my sister, so I ordered the Fast and Easy Cookbook to get some new ideas.

I am finding there are more and more compliant foods available than when I did my first Whole 30. It makes it much easier to stock the pantry and improvise when you need to.

Thank you for the tip about NomNomPaleo.com, @Aud1.  That will be a great resource for recipes and Whole30 tips.

Here's a terrific quote I brought back for everyone:

Your only job during the Whole30 is to focus on making good food choices. You don’t need to weigh or measure, you don’t need to count calories, you don’t need to purchase everything organic, grass-fed, pastured, or local. Just figure out how to stick to the Whole30 rules in any setting, around every special circumstance, under any amount of stress… for 30 straight days. Your only job? Eat. Good. Food. -- Melissa Hartwig, the headmistress of Whole30

I consider all meals just meals, so I don't really differentiate between lunch / dinner / breakfast. However, I am a big proponent of prepping at the beginning of the week as my schedule is crazy unpredictable. Most times I eat heated up food.

For anyone looking for recipes, I'm a fan of Mel Joulwan (https://meljoulwan.com/category/recipes/whole30/). I just bought her cook book because I loved all her online recipes and wanted to support the project. Plus I'm a book person. She has a Whole30 "Meal Plan" which I look over every week and take tons of suggestions from. Really it's just a way to think ahead and prep food for the week so that it's easy to put together but doesn't limit you to eating the same thing over and over or eating something you're not feeling that night. Perfect for me, since I'm single, so I don't have to worry about anyone else eating my prepped food. Not sure how it'd work in a busy house!

I'm done with day 2 (well, I still have to make dinner after my ASL lesson, but I have that planned). Today I was TIRED! I'm not sure if it's whole30 or just general lack of sleep and harder exercises. Probably both.

Keep on pushing forward. We got this!

Sierra

Hello everybody!!   I apologize for being MIA, I started on Monday as planned. I prepared some meals ahead of time so I didn't panic. I know I will have to be on my meal prep game!!

I stocked my pantry and freezer. I bough an Instant Pot. I'm not messing around!

My main complaint that I'm trying to resolve with this diet reset is psoriasis and other autoimmune symptoms.  My family on my dad's side suffer from various autoimmune aliments. I figure I better get a handle on my diet now to help prevent or delay these issues.

I'm in the middle of some home projects, including spring cleaning, I don't really have time to think about food.

I'm reading the Whole30 book when I can. I love the idea of making a protein salad.  I'll be sure to have one every week.  I better learn to love boiled eggs. I'm not a fan, but I can't have my whey protein isolate before my workouts, I needs my protein!! lol

Thank the LORD I live close to a Sprouts market. It's my new best friend!!

Costco has Pacific Organic chicken bone broth, 6 boxes for $19.99 !!!! Best price on the planet. I will be living on that stuff. It's low sodium and will be the base for all of my soups. 

I made mayo for the first time in my life!!  I rather like it, I almost killed my immersion blender though. Next time I will use a whole egg and some water to help loosen up my batch. 

I joined Real Plans because I am awful at meal planning on my own. It's worth the price, the service will pay for itself because I won't be wasting as much food and I will definitely cut down on eating out. 

I'll catch up on the thread and post later! 

Way to go everyone!! #Whole30

Day 2 meals

Meal 1 cauliflower rice, sauteed onions peppers and andouille sausage and ghee.

Meal 2 - Salad of chicken, onions, avocados, peppers, cucumbers, tomatoes, walnuts, balsamic vinegar, prunes

Meal 3 - Roasted broccoli, meatballs and saurkret

I walked this morning. I'm starting to get a headache and feel tired. Hopefully it won't last too many days.

20180403_184705.jpg

6 minutes ago, humanitysurvey said:

Day 2 meals

Meal 1 cauliflower rice, sauteed onions peppers and andouille sausage and ghee.

Meal 2 - Salad of chicken, onions, avocados, peppers, cucumbers, tomatoes, walnuts, balsamic vinegar, prunes

Meal 3 - Roasted broccoli, meatballs and saurkret

I walked this morning. I'm starting to get a headache and feel tired. Hopefully it won't last too many days.

20180403_184705.jpg

That jambalaya looks so good! Thanks for that idea -- I'm totally stealing it.

My dinner was Instant Pot Spicy Pineapple Pork and Roasted Green Beans, both from http://www.nomnompaleo.com.

I raided TJ's today and my reward was a snack of apple wrapped in prosciutto. So yummy! I picked up some Just Beets, which are beet chips and are surprisingly good. I mean, I get these when I'm not on W30. I really like them. They're good alone and with salsa, or guac, or whatever. 

%sacfi1ARI+RLkZQR2W3pA.jpg

16 hours ago, Hope4Overcomers said:

Excellent job, @suzannes! I found your post to be very encouraging and yet realistic! Hats off to you, you’re doing fantastic! I know I have to get faster at meal prep too so that all of my day isn’t used up. I can sure see how a little cranky may be coming my way too. I’d did well on day one only need to incorporate even more veggies and protein sources. Really didn’t eat all that much but felt more full and satisfied longer. I’m happy. Tomorrow is when I plan and go food shopping so it will be a busy but fun one. Cheers to you as well my friend!! Smile.

Thank you @Hope4Overcomers!  It's going to be an interesting and challenging experience, as promised in W30. End of Day 3 today, and definitely feeling the carb hangover. My brain misses those simple carbs for sure. I was a pretty healthy eater pre-W30 but way to many carbs and especially simple carbs/sugar. Unfortunately today I made the carb hangover even worse by missing a meal when I got too busy at work. Lesson learned - don't do that again. Good luck to you and all the folks starting this week -- be proud for making this healthy commitment to yourselves, you deserve it! 

Day 1 completed!  After looking/reading all these recipes, I am a little nervous.  I never learned how to cook so trying to manage through some of these recipes are very confusing.  Trying to take basic items and put them together for a meal that are all approved.  Meal prep and planning have never been my strong point.  I see I have some work ahead of me.  Encouraged by all the comments.  I keep telling myself one day at a time.  Made strides to drink more water (I am a sodaholic) and to stay away from sugar.

Keep up the posts!  I am learning as we go!

53 minutes ago, IcanIwill30 said:

Day 1 completed!  After looking/reading all these recipes, I am a little nervous.  I never learned how to cook so trying to manage through some of these recipes are very confusing.  Trying to take basic items and put them together for a meal that are all approved.  Meal prep and planning have never been my strong point.  I see I have some work ahead of me.  Encouraged by all the comments.  I keep telling myself one day at a time.  Made strides to drink more water (I am a sodaholic) and to stay away from sugar.

Keep up the posts!  I am learning as we go!

I batch cook lots of food and then I can mix and match to make meals. So cook meatballs, brown some ground beef/turkey. Roast some veggies and potatoes. Boil some eggs. Have fresh veggies on hand. Now you can throw compliant meals together.

Done with day 2 successfully.  Realizing that this weekend (my birthday weekend) will be spent looking at recipes and new ideas  Having always been a bit fussy I tend to like what I like and not branch out much.  I do love meats and most vegetables and fruit so just revamping how to cook with them and approved additions will be good for me as I love to cook.

Questions:

How is everyone feeling?

Anyone else using the Day by Day Journal? Today said feeling tired and headache was normal. I definitely am not feeling super and feel like work is dragging . Not necessarily feeling hungry though.

Store bought ghee? I live in Mt. So my resources are limited but after reading about multiple attempts resulting in failure Im thinking I dont want to waste the money on Organic butter just to ruin it if I can buy it.  Anyone else use store bought?

Hope everyone's two days have been good.:rolleyes:

7 hours ago, JodiLou said:

Done with day 2 successfully.  Realizing that this weekend (my birthday weekend) will be spent looking at recipes and new ideas  Having always been a bit fussy I tend to like what I like and not branch out much.  I do love meats and most vegetables and fruit so just revamping how to cook with them and approved additions will be good for me as I love to cook.

Questions:

How is everyone feeling?

Anyone else using the Day by Day Journal? Today said feeling tired and headache was normal. I definitely am not feeling super and feel like work is dragging . Not necessarily feeling hungry though.

Store bought ghee? I live in Mt. So my resources are limited but after reading about multiple attempts resulting in failure Im thinking I dont want to waste the money on Organic butter just to ruin it if I can buy it.  Anyone else use store bought?

Hope everyone's two days have been good.:rolleyes:

I'm using the Day by Day journal. I figured it would help me stay motivated.

I'e made clarified butter b4. I've been most successful doing it in my crockpot. I think you should at least givenit a try.

How to make ghee in the crockpot 

http://www.primallyinspired.com/ghee-in-the-crockpot/

Hey all! I think I'm ready to start - didn't use the cough medicine last night. Though I did look up OTC meds in the book (p75) so I won't panic if I absolutely have to take one.

I didn't do all the shopping I had hoped to but I just checked my kitchen and I do have enough for 2 solid days, which gives me time to get to the store.

But part of me still feels like I should wait till I am better before I start. I think...I will ask in the Troubleshooting section.

Hello, 
day 3 started with my measurements  that I couldn't take before starting because I was traveling. I compared them to those I took a year ago before starting low-carb. I lost a few centimeteres on my belly, hips and waist and from March 2017 to July 2017 4 kg, but I'm almost at the initial weight. This is so frustrating! So I skipped breakfast.  Intermittent fasting was working well for me, especially when I had to stop all my cardio due to a foot injury. I am slowly starting to work-out again, but won't be running any time soon.
Is anybody else coming to W30 from a low-carb (Gary Taubes, Tim Noakes, New Aktins, Wheat Belly) approach? I have a hard time letting high-carb veggies (potatoes) and fruit back onto my plate. How are you managing?

At least the sun is out, so I'll do some yoga outside. That should cheer me up. 

Archived