Starting whole30 6/1/18

KCore1

16 hours ago, Crimsann said:

Hmmm, was just thinking...maybe we should have a burger “date” night.  Some night next week we all try an interesting combination of burger+toppings and post pictures and reviews on what we came up with.  Could make for some laughs and some shared inspiration.  Plus you will def want to stick around a few more days and be part of that.  If we did next Wednesday it would also be the kick-off to the final ten days count down.

That sounds great.  I'm in for the burgers on Wed.  Except maybe the Elvis burger you mentioned.  I would have stopped before that too.  Woke up feeling happy and not cranky at all.  Skipped my pre and post workout mini meal, but ate my breakfast and it tasted good.  I'm gearing up to grill a lettuce wrap burger tonight with some zucchini from the garden.  I've upped my fat (more avocado) a bit and that seems to help make me feel better.  Hope all of you feel as great as I do! 

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, Crimsann said:

And it is always harder to start or start again than it is to keep going.  Give yourselves this month.  You’ve worked too hard to get here to miss the payoff.  If you are struggling or have slipped, I was very serious about my commitment to do July too so know this thread will not necessarily go quiet on 7/1 either and I’m happy to keep chatting with anyone who needs a buddy for a bit longer and be that someone to cheer YOUR finish line whatever day that is.

@Crimsann Of course my first focus is to complete my first Whole 30 strong on July 1, but I also intend to go another month. I will keep working hard this month and evaluate as I finish up. Thanks for letting us know you may be carrying on as well. My ultimate goal is to do Whole90, but I need to reserve the option to evaluate as I go. Whole30 first!

@magsrose  I think that’s awesome.  When I did my first W30, it ended up being 90...but in the second month I allowed myself to play around just a bit with some of those banned paleo treats where the ingredients are all compliant but the way you used them was not.  I did that precisely twice during my second month, once to make banana “ice cream” for the 4th of July and once to make some coconut flour waffle type things when I was having company.  In both cases the ingredients were 100% compliant and I had one serving and done.  My third month I went back to the full program.  I like doing a slight flex like that once I feel like I’ve done a solid 30 day taste bud reset.  I don’t encourage anything like that during your first 30 days but once I feel like my choices are deliberate and not driven by craving, adding something like that was a “safe” check to see how I’m doing with cravings before leaving the program.  It feels for me like a good way to get even more creative with food and still not introduce anything beyond the core W30 ingredients.  I’m not sure which parts you mean to evaluate but I thought I would share something that worked for me as a post-W30 plan.  Some of you may find as you get close to day 30 that you are almost scared of going off the plan and risking the progress you are feeling, that’s how I coped with those feelings.

The only reason I’m not doing a W90 this summer is because we are going away on vacation in August and while I plan to keep close to the plan I know that may not always be an option.  I do plan to pick right back up and do a reset right after of at least two weeks before I decide which direction to take next.

Happy halfway there day! I'm really hoping the tiger blood kicks in soon because I have felt so tired. I feel like I am definitely eating enough, but in the evenings I get so sleepy. Last night I made Well Fed's Classic Paleo Beef Stew in my instant pot. It came out great, but I left it out all night on accident. Hopefully it doesn't make me sick because I'm eating that anyway! I don't want it all to go to waste. Perhaps I have a strong stomach genetically... my grandmother use to leave chicken tenders out all night and eat them the next day all the time :D lol!

Totally into the idea of burger night, I really want to try that Elvis burger! Hope you guys have a good halfway day heading into the weekend!

@Crimsann when I say evaluate, I mean thinking through how the program is working for me and what it would look like to continue, such as asking myself, "Is it worth it to go another 30 days?" "What is coming up in my schedule and life that could interfere with another round of Whole30?" I'm pretty sure I'll do July as well, but come August things get tricky such as a road trip across the US with stops in Nashville (never been!) and my hometown of Kansas City. I know for me I would be sad if I couldn't try the foods from those cities.

Quiet night from me, I’m feeling really good...but work wise this week has been brutal so I’m falling face first into the weekend.  Tomorrow is my mini-me niece’s first dance recital.  I’ve seen pics of her costume and I think she is a mouse?  Should be adorable no matter what.  I immediately guessed she would want to wear it to school, probably with her red cowboy boots.  I’d like to say she didn’t get her fashion sense from me buuut I also tried to claim I wasn’t the reason her third real word was “tah-dah!”  (And five minutes later heard myself say it.)

I definitely need to nail down my meal plan for next week.  I’ve worked on it off and on all week but I keep changing my mind.  I was going to do chocolate chili for lunch but that’s going to be a bit much with burger night, lol, so I’m working on a sort of chopped chicken salad I think.  I was really interested in the cooked salad dressing that was on the W30 Instagram lately.  

I’ve never really found a compliant salad dressing that I was crazy about.  Anyone have a crush on one they could share?

50 minutes ago, Crimsann said:

I definitely need to nail down my meal plan for next week.  I’ve worked on it off and on all week but I keep changing my mind.  I was going to do chocolate chili for lunch but that’s going to be a bit much with burger night, lol, so I’m working on a sort of chopped chicken salad I think.  I was really interested in the cooked salad dressing that was on the W30 Instagram lately.  

I’ve never really found a compliant salad dressing that I was crazy about.  Anyone have a crush on one they could share?

we had burgers tonight - oops!  I haven't done much with salad dressings; I've been using the roasted red pepper mayo as a dressing because I still have a bunch of the sauce that I just took out of the freezer from week 1.  I've been wanting to make the 'sunshine sauce', but I haven't yet, because I still have a container full of pesto, too!  the ranch wasn't bad, but it wasn't great, either...  sorry, I'm not helping at all, am I? 

yeah, I gotta get with the meal plan, as well.  I'm totally failing there!

1 hour ago, Crimsann said:

Quiet night from me, I’m feeling really good...but work wise this week has been brutal so I’m falling face first into the weekend.  Tomorrow is my mini-me niece’s first dance recital.  I’ve seen pics of her costume and I think she is a mouse?  Should be adorable no matter what.  I immediately guessed she would want to wear it to school, probably with her red cowboy boots.  I’d like to say she didn’t get her fashion sense from me buuut I also tried to claim I wasn’t the reason her third real word was “tah-dah!”  (And five minutes later heard myself say it.)

Tonight I made party taco salad from the Whole30 website. It had a roasted red pepper French style dressing that I didn’t care for when I tried it alone, but when I mixed it all up I really liked it. 

https://whole30.com/2018/03/whole30-taco-3/

@Crimsann I struggled with salad dressings a bit for a while too! So here are some of my favorites. 

My favorite store-bought dressing is Primal Kitchen Caesar. It's really, really good! For a make-my-own dressing, I actually really love a super simple dressing made of olive oil, lemon, and ground pepper (equal portions olive oil and lemon and then pepper to taste). Super easy to make and surprisingly delicious!

And though I haven't really tried them, I am confident that Mel Joulwan's dressings are likely incredible too (I love everything I have ever made by her): https://meljoulwan.com/category/recipes/sauces/

@MamaPajama I just made the Sunshine Sauce with almond butter, because I discovered my Sunbutter had sugar in it. The sauce was good, but I think it needs some tweaking with more or less ingredients here and there. I made it with the Cold Thai Salad and some Asian Vinaigrette marinated-chicken. I served it to my mom who is in town from Missouri. She loved it!! We added a few grapes to round out the meal.

Whole30 is about all I talk about with my mom and sister these days. And by the way, my Tiger Blood is kicking in! My sister and I went for a hike this morning and it felt great! She is also very motivated to get healthy this summer, but she is struggling. I wish she would do Whole30 with me, but she's basically vegan and doesn't seem to agree with this lifestyle. Well, all I know is I have energy and am eating healthy and she falls off the wagon everyday and succumbs to cravings, so I'm grateful to have Whole30 in my life!

8 hours ago, kirbz said:

And though I haven't really tried them, I am confident that Mel Joulwan's dressings are likely incredible too (I love everything I have ever made by her): https://meljoulwan.com/category/recipes/sauces/

Great idea, I’m with you on the fact that nothing she has put together has disappointed me yet so I can’t think of a better place to start!  

I feel like I waste a lot trying different dressing recipes and then really not liking them.  I often just warm up the protein and let some of the broth or juice be the dressing but I’m determined to keep trying.  

Dance recital was cute, dinner out after was a challenge but I wasn’t craving anything or tempted by anything anyone had so that’s a great sign that I’m well into this reset.  

31CA29C6-7378-48CB-9B7D-8F778A4F9A17.jpeg

@Crimsann - omg, how cute is that little mouse?! 

I had a Super challenging day, mostly due to a - say it with me now - Lack of Planning on my part.  we managed to squeeze in a make-up lesson for the teen before two of our friend-families came by for a swim and picnic (we live right on a gorgeous river), AND mom came up for the weekend for the teen's 8th grade graduation, so I had four mamas, four teenage boys/men, and three 'littles' to host, so lunch...didn't really happen, and dinner came late, and was whatever I could whip up out of the fridge at the last minute, for double the amount of people I'm used to providing for - my mom and my son's bestie are spending the night.  can't wait to see what I manage to feed everyone for breakfast, let alone lunch..!

Very scattered today and my meals weren’t very structured either.  Got the fridge cleaned out and set up for the week but otherwise have been quite lazy.

I think mentally I needed a lazy day though and my meal prep is done.  I only planned for half a week though since I’m still working on my burger recipe, lol.  

Just stashing on the path here, I know I need a solid June because July has some pretty big challenges work wise.  If I’m on shaky ground going in things will fall apart.  Which is why I’m already nearly done with the following weeks meal plan and hoping to get July at least sketched in before, well, July! 

Hi all,

I hope you dont mind me jumping on your group.  I started 6/4 but my group page isnt very interactive.  

Just finished week 2 and I am getting tired of the prepping food.  Honestly, I just want cornflakes.  I haven't cheated once and I dont plan on it, but thats where my heads at.  This weekend, I ate at my SIL house and she was great at making foods I can eat.  BUT when dessert came out I literally wished I could have it.  I went to her fridge looking for a fruit and she had NONE.  It wasnt a good feeling.  

I missed dinner last night because I just wasnt prepared to make anything.  This happens to me on the weekends, I end up missing meals.  UGH

How is everyones MOnday so far?

Best,

Jennifer

hi @Brocha, welcome!  I TOTALLY hear you about prepping food, it's been my biggest struggle throughout.  I'm really wanting to embrace the wisdom of taking a day to do all my meal planning, and prep, but I'm not there yet.  I'll GET there, though...before this month is over, I'll have taken the time to figure out how to form that habit, or at least be on the way towards it!

here's my blog for this week, everyone - enjoy!  https://theunusedportion.blogspot.com/2018/06/tiger-blood.html

8th grade graduation for my teen tonight; he and Grandma are having pizza and ice cream after to celebrate, I'll be sticking to the program!

I think I'm kind of on autopilot with food prep right now.  I did okay over the weekend but my morning hard boiled eggs were a bust.  Literally for one of them!  I forgot to put the cup of water in the instant pot, and all of them were raw when I began the peeling.  (Thankfully I was over the sink)  I just dug into the fridge, grabbed a couple of apple sausages instead, and ran out the door laughing.  I should have spent more time on Sunday getting ready for the week.

I feel the tiger blood, but I was really weak during my morning workout.  I had energy but not much strength.   Maybe the dinner with a sausage, green beans and potato/egg/avocado salad was too light on the protein or vegetables? 

5 hours ago, Brocha said:

So I did some reading about Tiger Blood.  I haven't felt unenergized the entire two weeks.  So maybe the Tiger Blood isnt gonna kick in?

So I have a kind of weird thing with Tiger Blood.  I almost always get what I call Turtle Blood instead.  When I’m burning sugar I tend to run a mile a minute right up until I turn into a zombie.  When I switch to burning fat, I often feel like I sloooooow down.  And the feeling kind of creeped me out at first.  But what I realized is this is probably a normal pace.  And I keep it all day long.  I don’t ever hit the “hope I’m not drooling on my desk right now” after lunch phase.  I kind of laugh listening to everyone around me yawning.  And all things considered I probably get way more done, and done right the first time.  That’s my Tiger.  It’s a dang efficient task killing machine but it is not racing like a gazelle trying to outrun a cheetah.  I think some of us hear Tiger blood and expect even more crazy intense energy that a sugar rush would pale in comparison to but I’m not so sure that’s what it’s all about.  At least not for every one.  I do know without the lows, without the hangry times, without the manic highs where I feel like I could do a million things a minute but can’t even keep up with myself, without the guilt and artificial stress....I like the slightly slower moving me much better.

6 hours ago, Brocha said:

So I did some reading about Tiger Blood.  I haven't felt unenergized the entire two weeks.  So maybe the Tiger Blood isnt gonna kick in?

I know what you mean but I think I agree with what @Crimsann said. I definitely don’t have the post lunch crash and I’m happy that I donmt have to eat constantly to stay from being crabby. I too feel like for the most part during the day I have a steady flow of energy. I just wish it lasted all day. I tend to still get tired after supper time.

Turtle Blood...I like it!  :lol:  I've been so scattered with all the people being around (I'm really a solitary sort of person) that I haven't really had much space to self-evaluate, and see how I'm really feeling.  I'm sort of on a 'mini-vacation' because Mom is here, and the teen started his summer break from school, so I haven't really been doing much other than cooking, eating, and socializing...but I'm a bit tired from the constant pressure of 'entertaining'.  Mom goes home today, though, so I think a long nap in my own bed may be in order, and I'll see how I feel tomorrow, because I'm having people over again on Thursday.  gonna need a mini-vacation from my mini-vacation...;)

On 6/18/2018 at 7:02 PM, AmandaRG said:

I know what you mean but I think I agree with what @Crimsann said. I definitely don’t have the post lunch crash and I’m happy that I donmt have to eat constantly to stay from being crabby. I too feel like for the most part during the day I have a steady flow of energy. I just wish it lasted all day. I tend to still get tired after supper time.

Well I’m feeling that tired after supper tonight myself but I’m mostly blaming the rain.  And even now it’s more of an easing into tired rather than fighting to stay awake.  I mentioned before that this round has seen me going to bed much earlier than usual and I’m trying not to push through that too much because I know good sleep is part of the process and something I deprive myself of too much.

With all the extra cooking and washing up and packing lunches though an early night cuts into “me” time and I have to remind myself that taking care of me is part of me time even if it’s less fun than a video game.  LOL!  

But I’ll also admit that I’m writing this while waiting on the latest patch to download so I’m no angel and totally planning to “rot my brain” for a bit...unless the power goes out here.

Archived