Official 1/1/13 Start Group

LJG

I am SO PSYCHED on my lunch salad today, more excited than I've been about food in a really long time!

Ha,ha! I get that. Sometimes when I go home for lunch and decide to sear a steak, when I go back to work I'm all dreamy. I'll sigh and say "that was a delicious steak." I KNOW my co-workers are envious. (Hee,hee)

I did dream about food a couple of times during my first Whole30, but more often than that, I daydream at work about what I'm going to prepare and eat for dinner. I love salmon with paleo mayo. YUM! I love looking forward to good food, way more than I ever did about cookies, etc. Paleo rocks!

• Replies 969
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm at work, so I didn't watch the video... but is making sauerkraut as simple as that carrot/garlic combination?

Yep. Simple. The trick is keeping it covered but not air-tight, keeping the veggies submerged in the brine, and letting it naturally ferment. I only like my kraut fermented 4-5 days in the cupboard, before I put it in the fridge. You do need to check it twice a day for the first 36 hours or so, because of the gases let off. After that I only check it in the evenings. And kraut needs to be packed down tightly as it tends to float to the top.

I was really timid about trying it, but after watching 3 different videos of different people, I chose the simplest method to try. I use clean used 1 quart jars. Two medium sized cabbages will fit packed into 2 quart jars, really. Make sure you put your jars in a leak-proof container as there will be spill over the first 2-3 days. I learned that the hard way. Wondered why my kitchen smelled sour, only to find the purple water all over the inside of my cupboard!! But it only took one event to learn that!

Haven't tried the carrots. But since I went paleo last spring and started eating beef and lots of carrots and beets, my skin tone changed from pinkish to yellowish. I've had all kinds of tests done looking at my liver enzymes etc. I'm perfectly healthy. I just have yellow-toned skin now. My point? I try not to overdo the foods high in carotene, but the carrots sound good.

One more point that Sandor Katz makes. Taste it! This last batch I made my husband really liked. The other batches he claims have had too much salt. I didn't think so, but he likes it now, so I'll work with that! Have fun with it!

I'm on day 10, going into day 11. This is my first Whole 30 and my first try at Paleo. I have been mainly following the "clean eating" principles for the past few years, but have noticed that grains really wreak havoc on my stomach. The past 10 days, I have not had any stomach aches or issues! I mainly decided to try this because I keep toying with those last 10 pounds. I always seem to eat really well during my work week when I prep all my food and pack what I should eat, but then on my weekends, I totally blow it and binge on whatever I feel like. I have to say I made it through my first weekend on my Whole 30 and stuck to it!

When I read about the weird dreams that people have on this, I thought it was funny and really didn't think that would happen to me. I'm one of those people that doesn't have or never remembers dreams. Well today, I had the weirdest dreams and it was all about sweets (which I'm not a huge sweets eater anyways). Overall, my sleep has been a lot better and I feel more rested and like I have more energy.

I wish I had known I'd feel so good eating this way a long time ago!!

I wish I had known I'd feel so good eating this way a long time ago!!

How true! Eating this way is fantastic. The proof is in the pudding.

Speaking of pudding, one of my husband's favorite treats now (he's so skinny) is banana pudding: 1 banana, 1 Tbsp coconut oil, 1 tsp cocoa powder, splash of vanilla (don't think the vanilla is W30 compliant, nor is paleofying foods, like this) and a pinch of salt in the blender or small food grinder/chopper. He pours it out and freezes it for about 30 minutes, then puts it in the fridge. He really is trying to watch his sugar intake too. He doesn't want to be diabetic.

You deserve a medal for watching someone eat baklava and not giving in.

I made the homemade mayo tonight from Well Fed, and also bought my first jicama, spent 3 hours peeling it (slight exaggeration), and chopped it to go into the slow cooker for 24 hours. I really hope the jicama comes out as good as the mayo. That stuff was SO DELICIOUS, especially when I added garlic & paprika. And I'm not even a mayo fan.

I hate mayo but made the recipe this week and thought 'now this is why people like mayo.' I was glad to have it for tuna salad and for making a creamy Italian salad dressing.

I have never had the Jicama. How did it turn out? What is it like?

Day 11, and I have a really stuffy nose, and I have for the past few weeks. What does it mean? It's not bad enough to require medicine or anything, but neti potting hasn't really helped either. I feel fine otherwise, no headaches, no cravings, enough energy to do yoga and get under the barbell and sprint a few times a week. I have no known allergies. What do you think, hivemind?

I feel SOOOOOO good today!! It's probably a combination of: forcing myself to get 8 hrs of sleep, taking an enzyme (forgot the name, but the mod Tom recommended it in some thread) last night, or some other reason.

NPB - what is happening with your jicama? I mean, what are you making? I peeled mine today and then realized it was going to need some prep, that I couldn't just slice and eat it like I had thought (silly me), but now I don't know what to do with it.

I'm making the jicama home fries from Well Fed. It requires soaking in a slow cooker on high for 12-24 hours. So I prepped last night and will make it tonight. I've had jicama without all the prep in salads. Adds a nice crunch.

... Roasting my own delicata squash seeds was an experience. They tasted GREAT, but after a few days of those, I realized what I was probably doing to my intestines. Of course I got terribly constipated, but at least I knew what to do: I took 500mg of magnesium citrate in water evening and morning for 2 days, then just at night. What a relief! Sorry TMI I know, but it might help someone else with the same issues, right?!

Glad to see your post about roasting squash seeds. I roasted a butternut squash last night and was thinking "Why am I throwing away the seeds. We eat pumpkin seeds; maybe all squash seeds can be eaten." Next time, I'll keep them and roast.

Haven't tried the carrots. But since I went paleo last spring and started eating beef and lots of carrots and beets, my skin tone changed from pinkish to yellowish. I've had all kinds of tests done looking at my liver enzymes etc. I'm perfectly healthy. I just have yellow-toned skin now. My point? I try not to overdo the foods high in carotene, but the carrots sound good.

Thanks for the sauerkraut tips.

Your story about turning yellowish took me WAY back to when I'd watch Magic School Bus. There was an episode where they ate tons & tons of carrots and all turned orange. Appreciate the trip down memory lane.

Going to be a challenging weekend for me - we will be traveling, hoteling, and eating out from this evening through Sunday afternoon. Like every meal. I won't have any downtime (unless I call dashboard time in traffic "downtime"), I won't have any opportunity to cook ahead, and any meal planning or goal setting will need to be done in a much different environment than usual. I also won't have any opportunity to work out.

The only thing I really miss is an occassional glass of red wine. I'm bringing plenty of sparkling water with me so I won't have to rely solely on water. If I can make it through the weekend, I'll be on Day 14 and I know I'll start to see the horizon ahead. I just need to keep my eye on the goals I set on Day 0 and feel the success I know I'll experience on Day 31 (or 46 if I decide to extend my experience a bit longer).

Wish me luck. I wish I could say this is a slam dunk but it will be an emotional and stressful weekend so I will have my hands full.

I received my Whole30 Approved Emergency Pack (14 meals) from Premade Paleo yesterday. It came in a giant cooler with dry ice...a lot of food all in bags clearly marked as to what ingredients are in it. Two sides to go with each protein and also 5 packs of trail mix. Last night I had the Jerk Chicken, Carolina Collard Greens and Cauliflower Grits. Tasted good, but portions are probably smaller than I have been eating :o. Here's some more examples of menu items: Turkey Chili, Grilled Poblano Burger, Herbed Chicken, Tarragon Chicken, Cajun Style Turkey Breast, Smothered Pork Chop, Sweet Potato Fries, Broccoli Nicoise, Curried Butternut Squash, Brussels with Apples, Moroccan Parsnip Salad. Easiest way to make is to put in a pot of simmering water...there is a tutorial on the website to prepare stovetop, skillet and microwave. 10 minutes tops. Definitely worth it to have on hand to supplement for all the cooking when you don't have time to deal with defrosting meat. premadepaleo.com

It's the beginning of day 11, and I'm going strong.

I have a few kettlebells (a 55lb and a 20lb) and I have started working out a little bit (easing back into it).

I'm starting to feel good! Last night I was at a friend's house, and there were some tasty looking chips and salsa, but I thought ahead and grabbed some kombucha on the way. Rather than feeling sad about not being able to have chips, I felt very content with my kombucha.

The most amazing thing for me so far in this Whole 30 has been finding out that my willpower is stronger than I thought it was. I'm already super thankful for this program because it has provided the structure I needed (and need) to keep enough distance between me and food (that I'm drawn to like a moth to a flame) for a long enough period of time to bring the emotional and physiological ties to the food to the surface. (The phrasing of that last sentence isn't going to win any awards).

Anyway, I'm going eat some hard boiled eggs. Happy day 11 y'all.

@christine19, thanks for sharing what's included in the emergency pack. I thought about it, but especially since you mention small portions, I will pass. My husband is kind-of doing this with me and he already eats much bigger portions than recommended in any book, I know those "14 meals" would be more like 4-5 in our house.

NatPatBen - thanks! I really need to get that book. I looked up some things online after I posted last night and realized I totally could have julienned my jicama and put it in last night's salad as I had originally planned. Oh well, live and learn. Once I had skinned it, it just didn't smell like it was going to taste very good raw. Next time I'll research ahead of time!

Happy day 11! I'm still having stomach issues (although nowhere near what I used to have pre-Whole30) and not sleeping great, although last night I think I slept slightly better than the rest of the week had been. I can't wait to make my mayo this weekend - mmm, tuna salad. :) Happy Friday!

The most amazing thing for me so far in this Whole 30 has been finding out that my willpower is stronger than I thought it was. I'm already super thankful for this program because it has provided the structure I needed (and need) to keep enough distance between me and food (that I'm drawn to like a moth to a flame) for a long enough period of time to bring the emotional and physiological ties to the food to the surface. (The phrasing of that last sentence isn't going to win any awards).

Anyway, I'm going eat some hard boiled eggs. Happy day 11 y'all.

Me too! My willpower has amazed me. I usually "strike out" the first week and I am on Day 11. I was a total sugar/carbaholic, and this is really working!

I made the homemade mayo tonight from Well Fed, and also bought my first jicama, spent 3 hours peeling it (slight exaggeration), and chopped it to go into the slow cooker for 24 hours. I really hope the jicama comes out as good as the mayo. That stuff was SO DELICIOUS, especially when I added garlic & paprika. And I'm not even a mayo fan.

I've made the jicama home fries twice and will be making them again, they're my new favorite. You don't have to peel it all the way. I cooked mine for about 6-12 hours the day before then made the home fries the next day. So, so good! I could eat them forever.

If any of you like Indian food or curry, here's a quick tip. I've purchased several different curry pastes. Some are ok, and some a not so great.

Anyway, I was hoping to make a quick meal, and I picked A Taste of Thai Yellow Curry Paste (you can find it under "products" - it comes in a little box).

I followed the directions on the back, which were basically:

• Add 1 tbsp curry paste to 1 can of coconut milk
  • Add salt, pepper, and fish oil to taste (I added just a dash of fish oil)
  • Heat on high and bring to boil
  • Lower heat and simmer for a few minutes

Before making the sauce I cooked up a pound of chicken tenders (cut into bite-size pieces), and made one of those microwave steamer bags of mixed veggies.

Add it all together and you get this:

8371380862_60acaa3d54_z.jpg

It was pretty tasty!

I know in the past when I've embraced a Paleo or Primal lifestyle, I've always gotten very tired of eating the same things over and over again, which has usually made it a lot easier to give into temptation. One of my goals during this Whole30 is to learn to make lots of different simple, tasty meals. So far so good!

I was so tired the other day, but today I feel great. I'm also trying to get more sleep, going to bed at 10:15-10:30 is the goal.

I haven't had any food dreams, but I did dream last night that me, hubby and son were on a cruise ship but we were down in a hold area with animals - some donkeys and baby goats - and when we got where we were going I wouldn't sell the baby goats because the people wanted to eat them.

I've done well with cravings and recognized emotional triggers. I had a bad day two days ago, one of those days where you want to go home, go to bed and cry. I had to stay at work though, and I got through it without going off plan. Unfortunately I was so upset I really didn't eat much. I ate some of my eggs I'd brought from home and drank tea. I didn't have an appetite, but I didn't eat ice cream, chocolate and pizza either.

Yesterday I wanted orange juice for some weird reason. And I discovered coconut creme Lara bars - have to limit them, if I buy more than one I will eat them all.

Loving the Jicama home fries in Well Fed. I will make more this weekend along with more mayo. I made mayo from Nom Nom's recipe a few days ago and it turned out wonderful.

Our son's birthday is on the 19th. Originally he was going out with his girlfriend, now they're not, and he wants to go to Golden Corral for dinner. Have to check out the eating out boards to see what I can eat there.

I followed the directions on the back, which were basically:

• Add 1 tbsp curry paste to 1 can of coconut milk
  • Add salt, pepper, and fish oil to taste (I added just a dash of fish oil)
  • Heat on high and bring to boil
  • Lower heat and simmer for a few minutes

Before making the sauce I cooked up a pound of chicken tenders (cut into bite-size pieces), and made one of those microwave steamer bags of mixed veggies.

This looks amaaaaaazing. Thanks for the quick recipe!

Me too! My willpower has amazed me. I usually "strike out" the first week and I am on Day 11. I was a total sugar/carbaholic, and this is really working!

Well done! How wonderful for you to see that you really can do this under the right circumstances. I hope it's empowering.

I want to do some journaling this weekend about how well this is going. I know that down the road, after the W30 is complete, I'll want to reconnect with this really strong place I'm in today, and remind myself of what it's like to be here, and how it's worth the effort to get here.

I'm having lunch lashback in the form of onion breath and it only just hit me that I can't have mints or gum or anything... at least not any that I've found yet! I need to remember to bring in some peppermint tea or at least mouthwash or something, in case this happens again. How embarrassing! I'll be the one hiding at my desk, not talking for the rest of the day. :unsure:

Just a quickie:

I pass by my husband's little thingie on the cabinet every day no less than 20 times a day. Today, I mindlessly grabbed for one of those bubblegums. Thank goodness, I caught a grip and realized what I was doing BEFORE I put it in my mouth!!!! Whew!

post-11596-0-14543700-1357943409_thumb.j

So today I woke up and I was a bit miffed and not just at my husband. My fasting blood sugar is creeping back up and today I was over 100 again. So I have to figure out what I am doing different. I think it is sleep. I've been staying up later and later and not going to bed by 10:00 like I was before so I am going to bed at 10 tonight and hopefully, I'll be back under 100 tomorrow morning.

<snip>

She said, "I'll bring just one" and patted my shoulder. My husband insisted she bring two. He really thought I was going to cave. I. DID. NOT. I don't think he is intentionally trying to get me to go off plan, or hell, maybe he is, but I'm not budging so he better give it up! :)

I haven't made it through all of the posts today yet so if you already posted ignore this, but how did you do today after going to bed on time last night?

And HOW MEAN of your husband!! Smack him over the head! :P

I really love eating this way and already feel much better, in spite of having a hard time the first week resisting sugar, therefore I ate way too many nuts, but it kept me compliant. Roasting my own delicata squash seeds was an experience. They tasted GREAT, but after a few days of those, I realized what I was probably doing to my intestines. Of course I got terribly constipated, but at least I knew what to do: I took 500mg of magnesium citrate in water evening and morning for 2 days, then just at night. What a relief! Sorry TMI I know, but it might help someone else with the same issues, right?!

I also began this challenge at the same time that I took on extra responsibilites chairing a non-profit. That has really cut into my cooking and sleep time. Last week I felt like I was losing it. Then last night I was reading the book "Lights Out" and came across a chapter on Mind Control and how carbs affect sleep, and lack of sleep affects moods and why, and learned that I really am making myself nuts when I am sleep deprived.

So my biggest challenge is sleep, sleep, sleep this round. So what say you all? Is a teaspoon of peppermint extract in a batch of 12 paleo truffles (unsweetened) a fail? Either way, I'll go 35 days. :)

-diana

I have heard that the majority of people are magnesium deficient, though I never had the time to research it to my liking to try it. I'm glad that it worked to help clear you out! :)

What's in the peppermint extract that makes it illegal? The alcohol? Don't forget about SWYPO, I don't know if those would fall into that category. :)

Day 11, and I have a really stuffy nose, and I have for the past few weeks. What does it mean? It's not bad enough to require medicine or anything, but neti potting hasn't really helped either. I feel fine otherwise, no headaches, no cravings, enough energy to do yoga and get under the barbell and sprint a few times a week. I have no known allergies. What do you think, hivemind?

Well, it IS the season for the stuffy nose. I'm not sure about where you live, but around here we are alternating between cold and mild (it was 25 in the morning earlier this week, we're going to reach a high of 69 on Sunday which is abnormal). I've also noticed the last couple of days my nose was dryer and I did have an issue with the flow of the neti pot through my sinuses today. I don't know if my daughter brought something else home from school (fun) or what. I do know that I have not had to use my inhaler in two days!

Glad to see your post about roasting squash seeds. I roasted a butternut squash last night and was thinking "Why am I throwing away the seeds. We eat pumpkin seeds; maybe all squash seeds can be eaten." Next time, I'll keep them and roast.

I had never thought about roasting other squash seeds until my MIL was watching me roast a delicata squash and balked when I tossed them in the trash. ;)

Going to be a challenging weekend for me - we will be traveling, hoteling, and eating out from this evening through Sunday afternoon. Like every meal. I won't have any downtime (unless I call dashboard time in traffic "downtime"), I won't have any opportunity to cook ahead, and any meal planning or goal setting will need to be done in a much different environment than usual. I also won't have any opportunity to work out.

The only thing I really miss is an occassional glass of red wine. I'm bringing plenty of sparkling water with me so I won't have to rely solely on water. If I can make it through the weekend, I'll be on Day 14 and I know I'll start to see the horizon ahead. I just need to keep my eye on the goals I set on Day 0 and feel the success I know I'll experience on Day 31 (or 46 if I decide to extend my experience a bit longer).

Wish me luck. I wish I could say this is a slam dunk but it will be an emotional and stressful weekend so I will have my hands full.

Good luck! I'll be thinking of you and rooting for you!

Sleep - Amazing! Attitude -awesome! Belly - apparently getting flatter ( my hubby noticed). Energy- soaring! Things are going well, really well all of the sudden. Hoping I can keep it up. Learning about the "extinction burst" really helped me understand what is going on mentally. And I was off work all week so that kept me focused. 3 12 hr shifts starting tomorrow. All of my food is cooked and ready for 3 days. Now I just have to cope with the stress triggers . . . Wish me luck!

Archived