Derval's W30 #5

Derval

I saw the BEST tip from Ina Garten recently. Once you slice your avocado in half, simply run your thumb around along between the peel and the "meat" and the skin will slip right off! I have had Derval looking avocados ever since :).

Interesting. OK, no more scooping mine out with a spoon. I'll try peeling and then the thumb trick. I want pretty avocados, too!

Thanks all!

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have had Derval looking avocados ever since :).

"Derval looking avocados"! Ha!!!

+1 on loving the beautiful dishware you're using. What a nice experience for your little one to grow up in a home where you're using nice things and presenting your meals prettily every day.

My case of coconut milk was delivered on Tuesday -- we're in sync!

Terez

Yay for getting Practical Paleo! Her recipes have turned out really well for me and I like the way she writes about Paleo and nutrition in the beginning.

Also, I'm going to steal the "lemon juice ice cube" idea from you. I'm so used to my automatic refrigerator ice, I never bother making my own ice cubes anymore, lol. But that's a good idea.

"Derval looking avocados"! Ha!!!

+1 on loving the beautiful dishware you're using. What a nice experience for your little one to grow up in a home where you're using nice things and presenting your meals prettily every day.

My case of coconut milk was delivered on Tuesday -- we're in sync!

Terez

Something like this?

avocado.jpeg

To be honest the fancy dishes are just for me :) I buy nice single things for my own dining pelasure :)

I don't really like my new coconut milk, and I have so much of it!

Yay for getting Practical Paleo! Her recipes have turned out really well for me and I like the way she writes about Paleo and nutrition in the beginning.

Also, I'm going to steal the "lemon juice ice cube" idea from you. I'm so used to my automatic refrigerator ice, I never bother making my own ice cubes anymore, lol. But that's a good idea.

That's good to hear, I'm loving the look of it! The ice-cubes came out of being cheap - a pack of 4 lemon reduced to clear in the supermarket, so I juiced & froze them as cubes :)

So today is what ....Day 5

Absolutely exhausted today after being up with my daughter twice during the night :(

7am - roast veg, crisped pancetta (in the microwave, got the idea off here) egg fried in ghee

4900a0c65bbf11e2802422000a9e0927_6.jpg

10am - Gym

lower body mobility x 2

Box Squat 5 x bw, 3x5@18kg, I still find these tough..but next week will try to do with 20kg in the rack.

DL, 5x35kg, 5x62.5kg. Right, this is my max for 5 for now!

Upper body mobility x 2

Db Press, 5x3@10kgs, very close to failing on last one

Negative chins, 3 x 3

Pilates roll-ups 3 x 10

and full set of stretches

11.30am - coffee with coconut milk & taste test of my iherb order :)..not including the soap!

e149bc1c5be911e2bb6122000a1f9d92_6.jpg

12.30pm - mixed leaves & avo salad with balsamic dressing and bolegnase from freezer.

Afterwards tried a mug of my new chai tea - did not like it black at all, but nice with some coconut milk

d106b9b65beb11e2a82422000a9e07ae_6.jpg

3pm - 500ml mug lemon & lime fruit tea

5.30pm - inspired by a post on someones elses log - Seafood (prawns, mussels, squid) & zoodles in spicy marinara sauce. I added a splash of coconut milk and ghee to the sauce for fat & creaminess

29970ace5c1711e288ea22000a1f9318_6.jpg

Eta - not enough protein was hungry by 7.30! Having a guggy egg :)

Pity about the coconut milk-is it very different to the Thai Gold one?

Yes :(

It has no emulsifiers at all, just coconut extract & water, so it comes seperated. But even when I warm it & mix it its still "bitty" and thinner than I like. I'm going to try the whipped cream thing tomorrow see if I can use it that way.

My coconut milk shipment won't whip. But it's okay. When I buy the same brand in the store it has an almost-solid layer of coconut cream. This one is just creamy milk, but without that truly cream-like thick part.

Apple sweetened dried cranberries! I'll have to look for that at my store. Occasionally I want to toss some dried fruit into something and cranberries are so good for us. I'd abandoned all hope of finding them without sugar added.

Yes

It has no emulsifiers at all, just coconut extract & water, so it comes seperated. But even when I warm it & mix it its still "bitty" and thinner than I like. I'm going to try the whipped cream thing tomorrow see if I can use it that way.

Derv..can't you just use the stuff at the top? I don't even try to mix the ones that separate. I tried tasting the water part of it. Don't do it.

My coconut milk shipment won't whip. But it's okay. When I buy the same brand in the store it has an almost-solid layer of coconut cream. This one is just creamy milk, but without that truly cream-like thick part.

Apple sweetened dried cranberries! I'll have to look for that at my store. Occasionally I want to toss some dried fruit into something and cranberries are so good for us. I'd abandoned all hope of finding them without sugar added.

I had some of the cranberries last night with macadamia nuts - very nice!

I am fine with creamy milk consitency, the one I usually get is like that, consistency of pouring cream

Derv..can't you just use the stuff at the top? I don't even try to mix the ones that separate. I tried tasting the water part of it. Don't do it.

I tried the whipping thing this morning, it's still grainy , grr. Oh well, worse things happen at sea.

Evening W30'ers :)

Day 6

8.30am (hurrah for lie-ins!) same as yesterday, roast veg, prosciutto, ghee fried egg, coffee w' coconut milk

11am Reward time

For 1 week of W30 and completing the first week of my home make-over project.

Because I did this

E4C910F4-A078-403D-A5A0-D9F27D1BD64C-181-0000000636986C36.jpg

I got this :)

348f82665cae11e2b41b22000a1f9a15_6.jpg

11.30am - another cm coffee

12.30pm salad with balsamic dressing, olives, roasted beetroot & onions in evoo & balsamic (jar of it in fridge), prosciutto, 2 hb eggs with mayo, saurkraut.

500ml sparking water

3b085ac25cb411e2adac22000a1fbe03_6.jpg

4pm - 500ml golden mango green tea. 1 dried apple slice & 3 walnut halves. 1 tbls of nut, seed berry mix.

5.45pm - roast chicken, mayo, roast veg - cabbage, parsnips, carrots & sweet potato

dad9ec605ce011e29b0e22000a9f12cb_6.jpg

Will prob have some kale crisps or some such weekend "treat" later.

Do you have a recipe for your egg loaf, or do you just wing it? It looks good.

Thanks for the kind words gals :)

First pic of the log! - my egg loaf which is 10 eggs, 3 grated sweet potatoes, 1 punnet chesnut mushrroms (which I regrettably processed to dust, silly me) and half a large bag of baby spinach (also processed too much :unsure:) . Oh and meat! about 500g of minced pork seasoned with Mel's sausage seasoning.

Also in pic is a pack of skinless boneless chicken thighs which I baked with evoo, s&p, and thyme. Will prob have these in lunches during the week.

62d6d744581411e2ae9922000a1f9b71_6.jpg

Am going to prep this now but with a beef roast...Won't get 16hrs, more like 10 but I'm sure it'll be fine :)

http://www.theclothe...ian-pork-roast/

I wing it :)

For the one pictured this is what I did

In a deep pan/dutch oven fry 500g pork mince with some of Well Fed's sausage seasoning & 1 finely chopped onion

In food processor shred 3 small sweet potatoes (or butternut squash)

Stir this in to meat to soften down

Chop what ever other veg your using - I used mushrooms & spinach and add to pan, give it all a good stir & cook for a few mins.

In a jug beat 10+ eggs and seasoning

Line a roasting tin with parchment

Stir your eggs into meat/veg and pour carefully into tin, level it out & bake for about 25 mins? at gas 6 until done.

Divide in to portions & freeze/fridge as required.

I had some of the cranberries last night with macadamia nuts - very nice!

I am fine with creamy milk consitency, the one I usually get is like that, consistency of pouring cream

I tried the whipping thing this morning, it's still grainy , grr. Oh well, worse things happen at sea.

Okay Irish. Geeze..lets go watch The Perfect Storm.

I wing it :)

For the one pictured this is what I did

In a deep pan/dutch oven fry 500g pork mince with some of Well Fed's sausage seasoning & 1 finely chopped onion

In food processor shred 3 small sweet potatoes (or butternut squash)

Stir this in to meat to soften down

Chop what ever other veg your using - I used mushrooms & spinach and add to pan, give it all a good stir & cook for a few mins.

In a jug beat 10+ eggs and seasoning

Line a roasting tin with parchment

Stir your eggs into meat/veg and pour carefully into tin, level it out & bake for about 25 mins? at gas 6 until done.

Divide in to portions & freeze/fridge as required.

Thank you.

So week 1 draws to a close, only 3 and a bit to go!

Tried on my tightest skinny jeans this morning to see if I was back to where I was before, and nope, they were bet on to me, will try them again in 2 weeks & see, ho hum.

Day 7

9.30am :) 2 boiled eggs, 2 slices serranno ham, coconut milk coffee & a banana

11.30am - another cm coffee

1.30pm - looking after numero uno :) salad, fried tomatoes & mushrooms & fillet steak

500ml sparkling water

c5133bc25d8311e29bea22000a1f90d2_6.jpg

3pm - decaf coffee with whipped cm (lol, I always think of that as standing for cervical mucous from ttc days! - not good in coffee :D )

5.45pm - slow roast lamb (yum yum) and leftover roast veg from yesterday

1dc604885da811e2896422000a1fb003_6.jpg

Am presently having a "discussion" with dh opening a bottle of wine tonight. :angry: fudgker.

Day 8

7.15am - egg loaf, fried (in ghee) mushrooms & tomatoes. black coffee with coconut oil

725c9c5e5e1c11e2963d22000a1f9cad_6.jpg

9.15am - gym

Lower body mobility x 2

Goblet Squat, 3x5 @12.5kg

Upper body mobility x 2

Bench press, 3x5 @30kg

3x5 body rows

2 x10e.s pallof press @ 6.25kg

full set stretches.

11.30am - coffee with coconut milk

12.45pm - I saved the cooking juices from yesterdays roast, removed the fat & overnight it set into a delicous jelly layer and rich jus underneath. I added half of this to the pan with the last of the roasted root veg, some kale, and pieces of letover lamb to make a stew like soup. Absolutely delicous.

1a2b13905e4811e2a1fa22000a1f9261_6.jpg

5.45pm - adapted version of this egg fried rice with chicken

Lily said "It looks yummy, it smells yummy, it tastes yummy, it IS yummy"

4b98486e5e7311e2a15422000a9f19a4_6.jpg

Over & out peeps!

Archived