Whose a fan of canned wild caught sardines?!

I love giant salads, and I find myself craving them more now...I am a HUGE fan of canned wild caught sardines (I am waiting for the next Costco deal that they run on the Season Brand Wild Caught Sardines). Sardines are arguably one of the world's healthiest and nutrient dense food sources. I just love them. Fortunately for me I can get by the smell (although I tend to avoid bringing them to work to spare my co-workers). But several handfuls of salad greens topped with sardines, salt, pepper, balsamic, avocado, and olive oil just hits the spot!!! And it takes under 1 minute to prepare....what REALLY takes it over the top is adding citrus - today I did lemon juice and slices of grapefruit topped with some paprika and cayenne for heat. I know...the flavor combo sounds odd...but don't knock it until you've tried it!!!

Comment back here if you're a sardine lover!!! Sardines unite!

3 hours ago, Keen On Clean Fuel said:

You've made me want to try them - that's for sure :)

Haha yes!! Here's some more off the Seasons Brand website....

First, they are Rich in Omega-3 which is proven to protect against coronary heart disease. Sardines offer the highest omega-3 counts compared to any other fish. Sardines are also Very High in Protein – Ounce for ounce, Sardines have as much protein as prime sirloin – without high levels of cholesterol. (1 Serving = 37grams of Protein; 40% RDA). Sardines are also an Excellent Source of Calcium – Essential to bone development throughout our lives. A 3 ounce serving of Sardines (with Bones) contains more calcium than an 8 ounce glass of milk. Sardines are Low Sodium – also available with no salt added for the salt restricted diets. Sardines provide an Essential Source of Vitamins and Minerals. Loaded with Vitamin D (101% RDA), Riboflavin (B2), Vitamin B12 (222% RDA), Iron, Niacin, Phosphorus and Magnesium contributes to the healthy function of the body. Finally, Sardines are Low Mercury fish. That’s because they are near the bottom food chain, so they don’t ingest harmful chemicals that other larger fish do.

And....an image of my favorite! I'll take a picture of the salad I usually prep later today! :)

sardine.jpeg

57 minutes ago, BeginnersMind said:

Love it!!! I have never had kippered herring.....tell me more!!!

Here ya go:

http://www.brunswicksardines.ca/products/v/49

While popular in (and made in) Canada - I've purchased them all over the world - most recently in Australia. I don't like the fancied up flavoured ones - just the plain traditional ones. Different than sardines but equally delicious!

Mel Joulwan (author of the Well Fed cookbook series) has a recipe for pan-fried sardines that is absolutely amazing! It's super fast to prepare and oh-so-good. I do struggle a little bit with uncooked ones directly from the can, but these fried ones are phenomenal! I could eat them every day!

Sadly, it's not one of the recipes she has online. But, if you have her cookbooks, check it out! Though I can't remember if it's in Well Fed or Well Fed 2.... 

4 hours ago, Lorna from Canada said:

Here ya go:

http://www.brunswicksardines.ca/products/v/49

While popular in (and made in) Canada - I've purchased them all over the world - most recently in Australia. I don't like the fancied up flavoured ones - just the plain traditional ones. Different than sardines but equally delicious!

Wonderful!! I cannot wait to try :)

• 1 month later...
On 6/20/2019 at 2:08 PM, kirbz said:

Mel Joulwan (author of the Well Fed cookbook series) has a recipe for pan-fried sardines that is absolutely amazing! It's super fast to prepare and oh-so-good. I do struggle a little bit with uncooked ones directly from the can, but these fried ones are phenomenal! I could eat them every day!

Sadly, it's not one of the recipes she has online. But, if you have her cookbooks, check it out! Though I can't remember if it's in Well Fed or Well Fed 2.... 

This has really inspired me to try sardines. I love the Well Fed books, but sardines scare me. I think I'll give it a go. I really love salt and think this may be a surprise it to my tastebuds! Thanks, everyone!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived