Chicken Broth?

kt1969

Hi,

I am looking for chicken broth that is W30 compliant. I looked at about 6 brands today in 2 different stores and they all have sugar or honey or potato starch or something they shouldn't. Anyone know of a brand that is okay, and also where to find that brand?

Thanks!

The brand called "Imagine" and I buy mine at Whole Foods. I am not sure if each of the different kinds Imagine makes are totally compliant, but I have purchased the chicken and beef broth and they were compliant. Just be sure to double check those ingredients.

That is a darn good question, pdc4. I wonder about that too - like, do I need to stay clear of product with that "natural flavoring" in the ingredients. Drives me nuts. I always think that means I should stay away. When in doubt, I put it back on the shelfy.

• Moderators

I take "natural flavoring" at face value and accept it as clean.

Before I started making my own chicken broth, I used the Imagine brand of ORGANIC broth. The Imagine broth that was not organic had cane juice (sugar). Whole Foods always has the Imagine organic and I found one other brand there once. I never found broth without sugar at a regular grocery store.

• 1 year later...

The broth topic is very frustrating for me....

I use a LOT of broth in my weekly cook-ups.  Easily one-half gallon or more.  I'm feeding a lot of mouths, while also trying to build my freezer stock for those weekends that cooking doesn't work out. 

As you said Tom, the local groceries in my area do not carry a compliant version. There is a Whole Foods in driving distance, but that is also frustrating.  I live in the suburbs of Houston and it takes at least 25-35 minutes each way (with little to no traffic) on the weekends.  The visit to Whole Foods typically takes 2+ hours round-trip. 

My issue with making broth at home is the volume of chicken parts (and the cooking time) required.  In general, I tend to stick to deconstructed chicken because it is easier and much faster to cook.  So, I don't often end up with carcasses/ feet/ necks.

Can anyone recommend an easier way?

Sadly, it appears the Imagine Organic chicken broth lists safflower oil in the ingredients. It's one of the vegetable oils that is listed as "reluctanty allowed" on the Whole30, and specifically not to be used at home (only for "emergency" restaurant dining.)  If folks are using as much chicken broth as they say they are, I'd be wary of even that brand, even though it seems "better" than the rest.  :(

Guess I'll go to the local asian market and pick up some chicken feet to make broth out of.  They're cheap, and you will not believe the amazing flavor it has!

@MrsKT I've used this method to get a lot of broth out of one chicken/beef bones

http://nourishedkitchen.com/perpetual-soup-the-easiest-bone-broth-youll-make/

Yes this is what I would suggest as well! If you can buy the odd bits you only need about 2 lbs of bones. I've gotten good broth from a frozen package of chicken necks and great broth from a frozen package of chicken feet. You can also save bones from your meals and bone in meat tends to be more cost effective than boneless.

I always use my roast chicken bones :)

Some butchers will even give you bones for free when they're frozen (they can only fit so many in the freezer).

All the compliant broth I've found is very expensive and pretty crappy, doesn't gel or contain much gelatin.

A big slow cooker makes it really easy, I bought a large one specially for making bone broth. If you can't afford one, check if family and friends have old cookers they don't want. Lots of people have spare ones hiding in cupboards that they'd gladly give away.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I finally just found a grocery-store brand of chicken stock that looks compliant!

Medford Farms Homestyle Chicken Stock - All Natural

The label says "All Natural, Gluten Free, Lactose Free & Soy Free. No Fillers, No Artificial Colors or Flavors, No Preservatives"

Ingredients: chicken stock, mirepoix stock (made of carrots, celery and onion stocks), sea salt, gelatin, chicken fat, chicken, chicken skin, tapioca starch. 

I was worried about the tapioca starch, but when I Google "Whole30 tapioca starch" I get two links. One to Facebook where the "Whole30 Administrator" says its fine to use as a thickener, but not in baked goods, and another link to the forums where one of the mods says it would be an okay substitute for arrowroot powder for thickening.

So.... think it's a safe bet?

post-39448-0-41954100-1391730395_thumb.j

• 1 year later...

I read every container of beef broth/stock in the organic/GF free aisle in the store. Every one had soy or other non compliant ingredients. I ended up with the Swansons brand no MSG variety. There was the pesky "natural flavoring" at the end of the ingredients, but it was the cleanest I could find. Next time I'll make my own.

• Moderators

The store brand in my Sams club is “ All Natural” and “ Gluten Free” all the ingredients are compliant, but there is yeast extract Is this compliant?

Check out this discussion, where Melissa Hartwig herself weighs in on the yeast extract question, or this one where another forum member weighs in on what yeast extract does to her and why she avoids it.

If you haven't already bought it, you can find better options.

• 2 years later...

I find Chicken Broth is frequently non-compliant, but looking for Chicken Stock or Bone Broth usually is more successful, at least on the sugar front. Pacific Foods Chicken Bone Broth is just chicken stock, veggies, spices, and cider vinegar, for example.

Archived