Happy Ever After 100 Days of Awesome

Good Morning!

I am so glad we're re-booting!

After a seriously stressful day yesterday. (I had to take Tessa in for a vet appt. and she has to have an eye procedure this morning poor baby). It took WAY longer than I thought it would and I did not have any food with me. Ugh. I know better!

So on the way home I decided Mexican take-out would be a GREAT idea. It was a deliberate choice because I wanted the chips. I am so embarassed to admit this...anyway I ordered a really excellent, healthy & compliant tilapia salad with veggies AND an entire bag of chips. I ate all of the chips and 1/4 of the salad.

Gurd choked me awake last night. I got sick. I fell back to sleep and woke myself up with my snoring this morning.

All things considered, I'm ok this morning but a little hungover...duh.

What is it about me that thinks any of this will be different? I know better and yet I did the mother of off-roading last night. THe good news is, I remember why I don't do this. I am painfully reminded what these "treats" do to my body. I honestly can't afford this kind of behavior anymore and having said that I have to acknowledge that as a person in recovery, I will probably have another moment similar to this in my future.

I agree, this is a process and I am figuring it out a little more every day. The payoff just isn't there anymore and sadly I need reminding every now and then. sigh.

Onward & upward my friends. Saturday cannot come soon enough. Perhaps I'll start early.

MaryAnn, I've been thinking about you and your friend since you wrote about it and it is heartbreaking.

None of it makes sense and that's the part when you know that it's the addict talking, not your friend.

I completely support you in not participating in her insanity.

I would offer (for whatever it's worth) that it's ok for you to tell her so. She's your friend and it's completely sane and reasonable to tell her (in a loving way) how you feel about her choices. Telling someone that you don't want them to die is a very powerful statement.

Regardless of how you move forward with this, know that I support you and am happy that you are making your health (mental & physical) a priority.

That sounds kind of funny coming from the Frito Bandito, doesn't it?

Ahh well, better luck today. Food planned and packed.

Hugs,

Linda

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MUCH better day yesterday thank God!

For the 1st time in a long time I managed to drink all my water. Phew! What an accomplishment! The key was to drink most of it in the morning. I get so busy during the day that I forget.

My food was good yesterday too. I'm getting excited to start on Saturday.

Hoping all is well with all of you!

Have we moved to the other page?

Hugs,

Linda

Linda - I'm sorry about Tessa, sounds like she's doing better? we have a new page - 30 days of awesome!

yesterday was my husbands birthday and, true to my word, I had my cake! it was fine, I wish I would've had a worse reaction. it was a long morning, I didn't end up eating breakfast until almost 11, baby went down for a nap and I went out and got his birthday cake (I got a gluten free mini for myself), we had cake in the afternoon and went out to dinner. I opted for a salad with corn and tortilla chips, chicken, and dressing. I am certain the dressing and chicken were pretty far from compliant. I passed on the potato skins loaded with cheese and bacon...and then I got a "pazookie" for dessert (anyone have a BJ's restaurant near them?) it's basically a personal cookie backed in a little pan with a scoop of ice cream on top. they do have a gluten free version so I got that. and I got the mini. realized I used to get the "regular" size and would share some of it with my daughter but had no problems eating it all for the most part. I didn't finish the mini. almost, but not totally. and then at home I ate about 10 bites of my daughter's cake - this one had gluten in it.

SO, I am exhausted today and I had total sugar rush and then some frustration/anger/etc after the sugar wore off, but my problem is that I am getting my period today and my daughter didn't fall asleep until almost 11 last night (she couldn't sleep) and the baby woke up at 4 and wouldn't go back to sleep until 5:30. perfect storm. I am not 100% certain how much can be attributed to each thing.

one thing I believe is that doing this in very small amounts (4x a year like I plan) should be fine for me. but I am super excited to start on Monday. I have my pot luck picnic on Sunday and I won't be afraid to eat some salad/etc if other people bring it, and may eat some sweets depending on what they are (or maybe I'll make something myself so I know it's paleo)

needless to say I CANNOT wait until the baby takes a nap today and I'm going to CF this evening. I need to reboot! breakfast is done, I have some great leftovers in the fridge, and a chicken is going in the crock pot today for dinner tonight!

• 1 month later...

I'm BA-ACK!!!  Lost 4 lbs in June!  Feel good about that.  Lost nothing in May, but starting the new W30 made me realize I had been slipping back into unconscious snacking, mostly on nuts.

Can't wait for today to be over.  We have been having the most outrageous thunderstormy weather.  I don't think anyone in SWFL from Marco Island to Port Charlotte got any sleep Sunday night.  It was like a war zone!  Squall lines would move through loud and violently, then calm down to a steady rain that lulled you back to sleep, only to snap awake at the sound of new explosions an hour later.  Rain all day yesterday and last night, but not as violent.  Just want a good night's sleep.

Woo hooo, Maryann, that's awesome progress!  Hope you'll be able to get some rest tonight!  We had a storm like that last week, complete with flooding (I was fine).  

I'm down 9 pounds since mid-May.  I'm down a total of about 20-25 pounds since this time last year.  I'll take it.  Still have about 15-20 to go, but I know it'll take time.  

Howdy folks!  I'm in the middle of a Whole30 right now (June 21-July 21).  Dropped some edema/inflammation almost immediately.  I forgot how dramatic results are for me - I tend to swell up a lot when I'm not Whole30ing.

This go-round I'm dealing more with emotional issues than with food issues.  I feel pretty secure in my Whole30 eating, and my life has changed so much since I started this about 9 months ago.  The cleaner my eating gets, the more the rest of my life begs to be cleaned up.  That's a messier process.  But Whole30 makes it possible.  Phew.

Nice to hear from y'all.  :wub:

Hi Amy! thanks for checking in!

I am "officially" done, even though the last two days I've had chocolate. so I guess I ended on day 28 or so. I must give the chocolate covered almonds to my mom today, they are not welcome in my house. I kind of knew that when I bought them, but I ignored myself.

SO, I bought a bikini the other day at the store. but I'm going to return it. I realized I'm just not comfortable in my body yet to put it on in public, I think I'll start with a tankini. but I did buy a couplemore pairs of shorts, so I guess that's progress!

my CF gym has one class today at 10am, I am SO happy I'm getting ready to go now, but just wanted to check in on this side. I'm going to put a post up on the success stories board at some point with my pics. I need to remember where I came from!

on to another day today. remember those chocolate covered almonds. stupid things. I ate a lot of them yesterday. I am so bummed with myself. and some tortilla chips. this is probably the most "off road" day other than my husband's birthday. I've been doing a little research on corn and, despite the fact that it doesn't seem to bother me, I think I'm going to leave it alone. maybe as a special treat if there are fresh home made tortilla chips, but other than that probably not.

had a great time going to fireworks last night but MAN am I tired today. the kids were out late but still woke up early. and I'm off to work today. I pulled out some pork ribs I'd made before this whole30 because of the honey and molasses in the sauce and brought some with me. I have some left and some cabbage and beef I made yesterday so I'm set for a couple days. I have some veggies I need to cook up today or tomorrow.

I finally got around to posting a success story. I think it's a great time for me because of my day yesterday. and I remembered the egg analogy when it came time to sit and eat my picnic with all the cookies & chips & everything else.

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/11650-six-months-into-a-new-life-with-photos-at-end/

Jess, seriously, your success story is great!  Just think where you'll be in another year from now!  I think after the transformations we've all been through - both body and mind - it'll be impossible to forget what made that all possible years from now.  

For me, I'm still following most of the Whole30 guidelines and will be for a while.  But the last week or two, I've been doing a bit of off-roading.  Nothing completely out of bounds, but my body isn't liking it.  Chips, too much fruit, and some questionable meals out.  I'm up 4 pounds this week.   :(  Haven't been planning my meals well and I think that has a lot to do with it.  So, off to the farmer's market I went today.  I have a few things ready to go in the crock pot and the fixings for some chicken bone broth.  I need to get this back on track.

I spent the 4th with my best friend out of town.  She and I go way back, and drinking is always on the docket.  We went to the fireworks and she asked me at least 10 times if I was sure I didn't want a drink.  And surprisingly, I always said no.  I know that I'll eventually drink again, but it's nice to know that when I hunker down and want to stick to it, I can.  Oh, and we went shopping, and I BOUGHT A PAIR OF SIZE 10 PANTS!  And I fit into several other size 10s that I didn't buy!  It's weird looking into the mirror and seeing something different than I'm used to seeing.  

Am coming down with a sore throat and some dizziness.  A cold better not ruin the rest of my holiday weekend!  

Good news Karen!

I have a concert this afternoon and I feel ready and energetic and I know my voice is going to be in great shape.

Finally my body has stopped suffering the side effects of the blood pressure medications I stopped taking three months ago.  Finally!  This means I can enjoy my life more and not be so careful about what I eat or supplements I take (the worst and most lingering side effect was diarrhea, ew.).

Ready to travel, ready to move, ready for life - that's me these days.  It's very surprising to be in this situation and not just waiting for the next ache or pain to strike.  A year ago I was quickly tumbling toward a physical and emotional meltdown - now I'm taking on my life with what I'm gonna hafta call GUSTO.  Woot!

Here's to Size 10, Karen!  I hear ya on the drinking.  It has now been over 6 months, I don't miss it, and I feel to good to start messing with what works.  I don't ever say I 'quit drinking' because I haven't.  I just choose not to right now.

Good to hear things are going well, Amy.  This whole journey has been about so much more than food.

Off to read Jess's success story...

how is everyone doing? a week past our end and it feels...about the same, but I have found a new restaurant I am in love with and will now have to stop frequenting - went there Saturday and again today. it's called The Counter and its a build your own burger bar, I add in pickles and their mayo (smoky chipotle aioli), both of which I'm sure aren't "compliant" and they also make sweet potato fries. thus my problem. I did ask and they are made with vegetable oil - not a blend and not GMO, so the fact that they are made as well as fries can be adds to my eating them. I don't eat them all, but I do have some. and they come with their own aioli dip (horseradish). the burgers are fantastic. they use grass fed beef and local produce. you can just taste the awesome. and Applegate bacon. that's the other thing I throw on there. hubs tried to get me to eat onion rings (they are the yummy super thin strings) but I know I'm doing enough damage without!! so, truthfully, nothing horrible. and super yummmmmm. but I still feel guilty about the fries and mayo.

I am getting ready to go on vacation next week and am setting up some ground rules. so far:

no gluten. none. I still haven't added any ever and I don't intend to start

fruit for desserts if others are having it. specifically when they make s'mores - I plan on grilling some fruit (peaches?) and adding a drizzle of honey and possibly making some real whipped cream. no paleofied cupcakes/muffins/cookies. the one problem is that we will celebrate my daughters 2nd birthday while there - she turns 2 a couple days after we get home, but I think the berries and cream will b enough

protein and veg at every meal.

standard breakfast every day (I still eat the same thing every morning, it makes me feel more in control)

conscious decisions when I do eat something "off" with a serious contemplation as to whether it is worth it

exercise a bit every day - I'm taking my jump rope, my tabata timer, and I can do burpees anywhere! nothing big, but something

not worry about whether or not my family thinks I'm crazy.

any other suggestions?

Hi, Hi!!

I have some catching up to do and will come back in a bit for that but I have a Crossfit question...

I like calm exercise.  Swimming walking, working out with free weights.  Spinning...forget it!  Yoga not so much because all the pside down stuff makes me dizzy.

I know quite a few of you have done crossfit.  There's a Groupon in my area that is offering 10 sessions for $29.00 & 20 sessions for $55.00.

Obviously this is a HUGE savings but I'm really worried it's going to be too much for me.  I'm 53, a size 10 and while I'm in better shape than I was 2 years ago, I'm not in GREAT shape.

Thoughts, input?

How do you all feel about Crossfit?

Hugs,

Linda

I absolutely love crossfit - when I'm not there I'm thinking about it! I go to a small "box" (gym) and it's like family. don't worry about age or fitness level - there are all ages and fitness levels since everything can be scaled. the thing for you is that you say you like calm exercise...crossfit isn't calm. if I were you I would try it because it's a deal and you may find out you do like it, but there are no free weights. typical hour is 20 minute warm up/ stretch, 20 minute weights (Olympic weight lifting) and 20 minutes cardio. love love love it!!!

Hi all!  Having a pity party here.  It's baby bird season in my trade, so I am hand-feeding babies 24/7.  I'm at my store at 11 o'clock at night, and I'm back at 6:30 am.  I have to make time for feedings during the day as well, no matter how busy I am.  And even on my one day off, I can't go far because I have to be back a few hours later to feed again.  I am tired, cranky, and sleep deprived, and I will be for at least another month.  Complicated by the fact that I let my p/t help go in May and haven't found a capable replacement yet.

So today I'm on the verge of going back to the SAD because it's easier.  I don't have time to shop, let alone cook, my house is a wreck, my sink is always full of dirty dishes, and the grass in my backyard is almost waist high because for the past 2 weeks when I have been home to do yard work, it has been pouring.  Now I can barely get through it.  Life in the sub-tropics in summertime!

I am almost out of all the pre-made stuff I froze, there's ground pork going bad if I don't cook it up tonight.  I bought it for breakfast sausage, but haven't found time to make it, so have used up my frozen food supply even faster because I'm eating it for breakfast, too.  I'm longing for the good old days when I could slap some processed meat between two slices of bread and call it a meal.  I've been living on ground beef for a week already, because I can cook it fast.  Getting plenty of protein and fat, hardly any vegetables, just no time.  Even salad can be a challenge with all the slicing and dicing.  My other go-to has been Applegate hot dogs and sauerkraut.  Not an ideal menu by any means.

How much less complicated my life was when I could call out for pizza, or hit the drive-thru on the way home!  Easier, but not very healthy.  But in the short term, it would lower the stress level significantly.

Sorry for the rant, I'm just feeling exhausted and overwhelmed.

Linda, I haven't tried CF for the reasons you mentioned - I really prefer calm when exercising!  Sounds like it would be totally worth it to try it though, Jess' recommendation is pretty awesome.

MaryAnn, the life of a mother of newborns is pretty hectic and exhausting.  If you get to the end of the day (which is ridiculous since there is no end or beginning of any day, I know), and you've survived, you're good.  I suspect, knowing you, that at some point you'll be talking yourself into chopping veggies and cooking that pork, and you'll be frazzled but compliant.  (Note: if that isn't true and you go for the turkey sandwich, I still lurb ya.  I had twins and don't remember much of the first 13 months.  The house was a pit and who knows what the hell I ate.  But, you do survive and go on to healthier living.  Phew!)

My concert went well and now we're just trying to stay cool in what has turned out to be an extra hot summer (and no a/c in the islands, of course).  Yesterday we went to the VERY COLD movie theater and I took macadamia nuts and blueberries - forgetting they would cause the bloats.  Oops!  I may sneak in some canned salmon with mayo and tomatoes next time.  Heh.  I have a large enough purse...

aw Maryann - I so feel for you! brutal! if you have to go back to SAD I hope you don't go all the way back. if you can't be "compliant" right now then at least keep grains/gluten out, maybe that will make it a bit easier? I know here I do a lot of pre made salads (at WF or Trader Joe's, etc) and you can always get gluten free bread/etc. even if you have to order pizza out just order a salad or pizza with gluten free crust! whatever you choose don't desert us here! and get through the next month or so and grab another whole30 and you'll be fine...you've learned too much to get off easy now!

how is everyone? I had a strange day. woke up and just was not hungry. didn't eat breakfast until around 10:30 and it wasn't a good one (lara bar and some salami??), went to chipotle for lunch and had a great salad (I know their chicken isn't compliant, but I'm not currently on a whole30 so I'm ok with that. I also added some sour cream and cheese), came home and dinner was chicken, green beans, another lara bar (!), and watermelon. and two squares of chocolate.

a bit heavy on the sweets today. but I have made a decision to forgo ALL grains (corn and rice included) which I wasn't dead set on before. I have decided to allow a small amount of cheese back in but not daily. and I've decided to ease up on my fruit restriction (I don't really eat a ton of fruit but I was pretty much down to zero). I'm going to see how I do. and I've got to get those f'ing lara bars out of my life. but I love them. but I hate them. but I love them. and so the story goes. argh.

I'm doing OK - a huge bounty of veggies in my fridge!  And enjoying extra time with the girlies - we're all off for the month of July, luxury!  I'm on day something of a Whole30 (last day is July 21) and I've decided that I will be voting nuts and Lara bars off the island for the remainder.  I realized today that I've been doing what feels like overeating, and that has always felt kind of impossible to me on Whole30.  Then I figured out that what I used to do was, if I ate nuts, I didn't eat again until the next meal.  But this time, I'm eating all three meals regardless of if I eat nuts.  So, for instance, today I ate breakfast, then we went to the cheap movie (hello air conditioning!!!) and I ate macadamia nuts.  Then I came home and ate lunch, then I ate dinner.  And I'm kiiiiinda stuffed.  So I'm realizing that when I'm eating the entire three meals and the macadamia nuts (or nuts and fruit, or nuts, fruit and Lara bar !!!!), well, then, yeah, that would be overeating. :ph34r:   I didn't realize that during my actual Whole60s (two of them in quick succession) I got into the firm habit of eating exactly three meals a day and no snacks.  And for some reason I went back to how I did my first two Whole30s, where I sometimes ate nuts and then just didn't eat until the next meal.  :lol::rolleyes:  

Anyway!!  Time to remember that three meals is the plan!!!  Also, I have so much food in my fridge and freezer that I feel so prepared.  I'm able to come up with meals almost instantly, and the girls and I have been making a whole new routine around eating together.  Something we did not do well during school last year - and something I'm hoping we can solidify now and keep during their next school year. :wub: :wub: :wub:

OK that was a lot.  :ph34r:   It's so weird to me that after all this time I'm still coming up with new insights about my eating and Whole30.  And, currently, realizing that those cherry pie Lara bars really don't need my immediate attention.  :lol:

Archived