Happy Ever After 100 Days of Awesome

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also think it's not uncommon for women, especially, to take control of their diet (sometimes in an unhealthy way--eating disorders, anyone?) when everything else in life feels out of their control. Whole30 is a great way to use that impulse/coping for the positive!

That makes sense - I have tended to lose control, or purposely give up control, of my eating when I'm under stress. This go-round, I didn't. The effects of the stress are still there, but they are more easily reversed. It's just really amazing how much of a direct effect stress has on my body. :o I'm glad to have figured this out. :wub:

I'm going to do a 21 day reset to get my mind and body in the right place again... I haven't offroaded much.. Popcorn last night which made me feel sick and 10 jelly beans the night before (decided to have some when there was no chance of overeating since the can was finally empty) which made my heart pound, and a bit too much chocolate etc. I want to make sure I stay healthy and fat-adapted and recover my fitness quickly... I've got ISWF coming in the mail too!

Happy Mother's Day everyone!

Had a big piece of my husbands birthday cake last night. Salted caramel from an amazing bakery. Someone else brought a home made key lime pie. I had it for breakfast today. With vanilla ice cream. For breakfast!!!

Too much sugar. Finally something that really did not agree with me. Sugar! I have been utterly nauseous all day.

Going to do a 21 day re-set starting tomorrow. Need the discipline. I'm looking forward to it. I feel more in control of my entire life when I'm doing the whole-whatever. So 21 days for me. I don't generally like to log. It Reminds me of WW points. But I may log for a bit as well.

Juzbo-- I'm going to join you on your post. Will post here as well. I hope you are recovering well.

Miss you all. Xo. Me

Hey Shelley, I struggle with logging due to WW too, but I also struggle without it... Very glad to have you join me and share the post, that will stop me giving up. Planning to join Jess in her June whole30 too so I can be in the best shape for my July birthday. Then I should be able to ride my own bike till Christmas...

I am recovering well and got good test results as in no further problem expected but may have been a problem later on if I hadn't done anything, so that's really good. I have a feeling I will get less abdominal pain now too which I used to put down to strained stomach muscles but was never really convinced... Will have another quiet week except for working and walking until the bruises and incisions heal then its back to my life! There is a new job in the wind for me at the end of the month too so things are looking up. Only sad part is my mum, my brother will help her though next weeks test and procedures, I am hoping it goes okay for her. Since she already survived cancer at 43 and she is 72 now it really shapes the way we all look at it which is a bit unfortunate I guess. I think I am resigned to it being the beginning of the end and just hope she doesn't have a long drawn out horrible time. My dad fought for 3 years although he was already beyond hope when he was diagnosed, and the chemo to reduce the symptoms was so destructive he had no quality of life it was very sad, but I guess he did what he thought was right.

Here's to healthy eating keeping me off this bandwagon!

And here's to you all for your friendship, encouragement and support. It's horrible that we all have issues and struggles but nice that we can share our efforts to overcome them and feel good about ourselves in the good times and comforted in the bad times!

Anyone else watch the movie "Hungry for Change"? I saw it on Netflix last night and I had a ton of ah-ha moments! Essentially, they talk about how nasty processed food is, they likened the food industry to the tobacco industry in regard to all the addicting chemicals added, and talked about how as a nation - we're over-fed but under-nourished. As you can imagine, they promoted a whole foods diet (and juicing). Watching it, I found my mantra. With all my food sensitivities, I'm no longer going to say, "I want it but I can't have it." Instead, I'm going to tell myself, "I can have it but I don't want it." That's going on my bathroom mirror. So is, "My body only wants to heal."

Had dinner at a friend's house the other day. We've both struggled with 20-30 pounds of excess weight and we both have medical issues that we can't seem to get our arms around 100%. She's doing WW right now... She was going on and on about how she couldn't stop over-eating, that she was eating way too many calories, and that she just needed to get her head in the game. It was the typical dieters self-bashing. I called bullshit. We had a good, long talk about it and in the end, she agreed to do a Whole30 with me. I started this weekend, she starts next weekend. I'm going to do a modified Whole30, though - I'm still going to allow a few organic carbs that aren't typically allowed. My mood and my energy have been so much better the past few weeks and I don't want to mess with that. But, it'll give me a chance to cut out all food allergens - no ifs, ands, or buts about it!

Karen, that's great on many accounts.

Shelley, very happy for you and your hubby, hope he enjoyed the dinner out a day or two ago!

My MIL bought over a case of sugar free soda cans... What the? My DD just looked at them and said ... Can we have these? Full of doubt.. I said, you know how bad they make your brother feel, sugar ones occasionally are okay but these???

Turns out someone had given them to her so she thought we might want them... Hello? You want me to feed my kids poison? That's really how I felt, and she knows I am against sweeteners but couldnt help herself, she doesn't see it the same way. I guess I didn't used to either. Interestingly my husband was supportive?, just throw them out he said, and don't make a fuss.... I wonder if I can get a refund from a local supermarket, or swap them....

Here is what i got for Mothers Day: chocolate covered raisins from my inlaws and Godiva chocolate from my Mom.. WTF!!!!! Is anyone paying attention to the fact that until Friday I had no sugar except a little ice cream for 120 days!!!!

I made mothers day brunch for 10. i I had 2 egg muffins (w30 compliant) with a wonderful salmon salad and strawberries. I was so glad I started my reset. I did not touch challlah french toast, the birthday cake, the chocolate. I feel so much better. The swelling has gone down and the nausea has disappeared. Definitely a process.

happy mothers day to all of us - those with four legged kids and those with two legged ones! today was a pretty good day for me to begin with...not the best at the end. I started off my day with my totally normal breakfast. we went to see Billy Elliot at the San Jose theater, it was AMAZING, but it started at 1pm. I had some macadamia nuts in my bag, some dried mango, and a lara bar. I snacked on them during the play. on the way home my daughter wanted to stop by Rubios for dinner, I got some chips and salsa for myself, and a chocolate bar. now, mind you, I do eat a little dark chocolate every night. but tonight? I ate chips and salsa for dinner with the entire chocolate bar. I did a big cook up and just didn't take the time to make anything else. I have a chicken that needs to go into the crock pot tomorrow morning. but the reality is tonight wasn't great. and the reality is I didn't even want the chocolate. I really wanted a nice real meal, but I didn't have one ready to eat. so kind of a success but more not so much a success (but not a failure. I've stopped using that word)

so funny that our families are somewhat "forgetful" isn't it? my mom kept asking me if I wanted a bagel & cream cheese today. like 4 times. thank you mom, but no thanks! at least hubby didn't get me any chocolate or candy for mother's day - he brought home some flowers. smart man! he's learning!

I'm beat! Ran around like a crazy person today on my "day off". In to the store to feed the birds, phone in orders, then bank, feed store, organic store, regular grocery store, post office, pick up meds at vet, more (dog) meds at drug store, finally got home to start my regular stuff at 3pm. Then clean bird cages, vacuum, etc. No wonder I never have time for a cook up!

Made this for dinner: http://fastpaleo.com/pork-chops-in-coconut-mushroom-sauce/ One of my fav pork chop recipes.

Off to bed!

MaryAnn-- that sounds exhausting. Truly. Can you get some kids who love animals to help you out? We hired 2 young men to walk our dog because often times I am not home from work early enough for her. They adore her and play with her and been a great relief to me.

Btw-- it seems so much easier for me to be W30 compliant now. I read some of the newbies in the forums and I can hardly remember what it was like during my first W30. Also, take for granted now no nightly hot flashes, no morning headaches. It's really a good way of life.

Shelley, I am creeped out at the idea of strangers in my home or store when I'm not there. If I was making money hand over fist, I still couldn't bring myself to hire a cleaning service. I'd have to take the day off to supervise. So what would be the point? If I'm there, I may as well do it myself.

Btw-- it seems so much easier for me to be W30 compliant now. I read some of the newbies in the forums and I can hardly remember what it was like during my first W30.

Yup, I was just thinking that yesterday! I have a ton of social things planned this week and I haven't really had a second thought about postponing until next week. There will always be something... And besides, I should be eating like this all the time. Though I did slip up yesterday... Ordered a compliant meal when out to eat and they must have gotten my order mixed up as it came with mayo instead of guac. Didn't realize it until I was a few bites in...

Got some more results from my doc. I tested positive for pinworm (yuck!) and yeast (as expected), and some of my bacteria & short chain fatty acids are way off. Hope to chat with her tomorrow to develop a game plan. More information is never a bad idea to help move forward, but it's still frustrating. I can't wait for the day that I end up with a normal test result of any kind!

MaryAnn-- I would not lecture you but your life sounds absolutely frantic --like mine but for different reasons. I am also a major control freak about my house (and probably everything) and I Hate (strong word but true) to ask for help. But as my husband becomes more disabled and demanding i realize that I cannot keep up with taking care of him and the dog and the house and my work and myself. And I have had to pay for help and ask for help from friends. This means that everything is not done exactly as I want it. That things in my house seem never to be I the right place when I need them. That we run out of stuff and I dont know it. All very frustrating. My husband jokes and says that we are managing the staff of Downton Abbey ( this is particularly funny because we live in a 1600' townhouse). But the payoff is that I get a just a little more time for myself. Just saying ......

I hear ya, Shelley, and there's no rational basis for my feelings. But I have visions of people pawing through my underwear drawer, reading my open mail, checking my bank statements, poking around on my computer, etc. I would feel like I'd been burglarized just by having strangers in my home alone. I know they could care less, and I'm not that interesting, but I still find it creepy. In college, I was the roommate that if someone said, "I'm going to do a load of wash, anything you want to throw in?" the answer was always 'no'. I didn't even like someone else doing my laundry. Just an odd, irrational quirk of mine.

Hey There!

Sorry for the silence on my end of the computer. I've been busy with my new girl Tessa, whom I am SO in love with. We are walking anywhere from 1 to 3 miles in the mornings. She's awfully chubby so I have to be careful I don't wear her out. She has been limping at odd times...when she gets up from lying down etc. Arthritis maybe? I'm going to get some baby aspirin for here and see if that helps.

My food has been pretty compliant. I'm still sugar free. I'm eating popcorn on occassion and I am in love with Trader Joes sugar free chocolate which I'm imbibing a little too much of lately.

My biggest issues (as always) are my water consumption (not nearly enough) and my vegetable consumption (not nearly enough).

I'm focusing on that right now but overall feel very good.

Since you asked Shelley, my relationship is moving in a positive direction. It looks like I'll be moving back home by the end of June with Tessa in tow. I just can't see giving her up!

I'm sending big hugs your way and want to say (very tongue in cheek) that I work at Downton Abbey. I am Mrs. Hughes and it is my job to know a little bit of everything about what's going on. We do not look at personal items but you cannot help but knowing personal things about the people you work for when your workplace is their home. :)

Having said that my job is to keep everything ship-shape which means that when I get home, it's the LAST thing I want to do!!

I need a me to take care of my home! LOL!

Linda

hi ladies! I'm doing well over here, too. just trying to do my best. I am actually looking forward to June 3 when I start another whole30. I am pretty much compliant right now but I do have some chocolate every night and have had some tortilla chips twice. and I'm not anal when I go out to dinner.

last night we went to a dinner for my neighbor to celebrate her graduation (they are like our family) and they had tri tip steak. it was fantastic, but they gave me a tiny portion of steak, a limp salad of iceberg lettuce, a massive piece of garlic bread, and white potatoes. I had to come home and eat dinner I was so hungry. I even ate a couple bites of my hubby's meat. they had strawberries and chocolate for dessert. I grabbed a couple so I could eat the strawberries and left the cream puffs, but I dipped my strawberries in chocolate. it was hershey's syrup. gross. but I ate it anyways! :)

I am so grateful I had food at home to eat and an avocado to top it off. but this morning I woke up and realized I had no eggs. I know...you don't need eggs for breakfast, but for me it's kind of a security blanket and I really like them. so I walked over to my parent's to get some from them. they had one. ONE. good god help me please. so I've done the unthinkable. I ate my one lonely egg with my hash and had two cups of coffee. I feel like I'm having an anxiety attack already. sigh.

hubby has gone back to working nights and so far it's ok. he applied for a second job at my hospital (he used to work there) and has an interview tomorrow.

off to the store to get some frickin eggs. :)

Hi, Jess! You were posting while I was. I'm with you, gotta have my hash and eggs. This week I made it with homemade sausage instead of beef, and I wasn't paying attention when I seasoned the pork, so I added a lot more seasoning mix than usual. But it turned out great! It would be a bit too spiced to eat alone, but with the garnet yams in it, the combination of sweet and spicy is awesome. My new fave.

Archived