Lesser of two evils: soybean oil or meal without protein?

Tveen

I'm planning on eating at Daphne's on Friday night. Doing some research and called them today only to find out all their proteins are marinated with soybean oil and it's even in their dressings! The chef proceeded to tell me olive oil was not even on the premises of their restaurant...anyways! I'm planning on bringing my own dressing but was wondering which one is the better option?

A) salad with no protein

B) salad with protein even tho it has soybean oil

Just wanna make sure the meal will be as compliant but filling as possible! Thanks!

• Moderators

While most unhealthy seed oils are only discouraged and not banned during a Whole30, soybean oil is a big no because soybeans are a big no. So if you are doing a Whole30, you would need to avoid Daphne's marinated meats.

Uggh! A greek restaurant that does not have olive oil?!? Blasphemy! How can this be? Thanks for sharing this awful news.

What??? Is this Daphne's in San Diego? I say boycott it and go somewhere else. I am Greek and from San Diego. You can do much better.

I know! It is the Daphne's in Pasadena! I was so disappointed, how can a Greek restaurant NOT have olive oil??? But I called again and they did not have any non-marinated meat on the premises apparently it comes marinated! They did say that their burger patty contains no oils and just spices. So that is a possibility! Maybe I can have them top a salad with a burger patty instead of chicken haha

To generally answer your question, I have found myself in this sitch too. I wouldn't offroad for soybean or peanut oil, but sometimes I eat from the whole foods salad bar and the deli. I eat the sweet potatos, roasted garlic and salmon filets (maybe 1x a week) -- all cooked in canola. I'd rather have this than avoid the otherwise healthy foods completely, and I don't use it as an excuse to offroad any deeper with cheese, bread, etc. Since I am doing a whole 50, I figure those "cheat" days are tacked on at the end.

This is my tweak -- not saying its allowed, and I hope mods don't vote me off the island ;) -- but it works for me.

Sorry, I still wouldn't go. Why would your boyfriend insist on eating here knowing you will be stuck with something far less than enjoyable, just to indulge his desire for unhealthy food.? I'm just passive-aggressive enough that I'd eat before going, then sit there with a little side salad and just stare at him while he ate. Guaranteed he'd never make me go there again. (Maybe this is why I don't get taken out to dinner very often? LOL)

The burger on salad sounds like a good idea to me. I don't know anything about that restaurant, but maybe they have hard boiled eggs for salad. Those should be safe, but you will probably have to ask for extra eggs, if you go that route, since most restaurants give you the equivalent of one egg on a salad.

And they don't have any seafood that isn't pre-marinated? That is odd.

To generally answer your question, I have found myself in this sitch too. I wouldn't offroad for soybean or peanut oil, but sometimes I eat from the whole foods salad bar and the deli. I eat the sweet potatos, roasted garlic and salmon filets (maybe 1x a week) -- all cooked in canola. I'd rather have this than avoid the otherwise healthy foods completely, and I don't use it as an excuse to offroad any deeper with cheese, bread, etc. Since I am doing a whole 50, I figure those "cheat" days are tacked on at the end.

This is my tweak -- not saying its allowed, and I hope mods don't vote me off the island ;) -- but it works for me.

Canola is not a desired oil (icky rapeseed) but it is not prohibited.

Does he like the place or Greek food? Maybe you can try another place once and see if that'll be a good substitute? Or maybe he can go there with his friends another night?

I'd frankly be most concerned with the fact that all the meats "come" pre-marinated. Brrrrr. Shady. Especially lame bc Greek meat is usually so simple--salted and grilled lamb chops come to mind. (And what about fish?) Though the no olive oil on Greek premises thing is blowing my mind.

I'd eat protein before or do the burger/salad thing. And definitely talk to your bf about not getting any pita. That would be hard for me to stare down. Good thing you called!

To me, a Greek restaurant that has no olive oil and buys all its foods already marinaded is no better than buying Stouffer's out of the freezer at the grocery store. What other crap in the way of preservatives, etc. must be in there? This isn't a restaurant, this is a reheat-n-eat place.

I often bring canned salmon and/or a hard-boiled egg with me to restaurants when I know I'll be getting a salad. Easy protein to throw on top. :)

I do the same thing but with a pouch of compliant tuna. I keep a pouch in my purse for emergencies!

Y'all are just making me want to cook him dinner at home! Haha which I might just do...pre-marinated meat IS gross

Do go out for dinner!! Just not there. :) If you tell us where you live, I am sure we can find an awesome restaurant for you. :0)

Archived