Jen's Post W30 Log

pjena

I had a bit of a rebellion / pity party last night.  I was still feeling bloated and gassy and super frustrated that one meal could take me from feeling great to feeling poorly and that 4 days later, I still feel bad (not horrible, but still holding the weight gain, bloatedness, gassiness, etc).  I was trying to figure out what to wear to an event tonight and everything feels tight.  Last week, I was wlel on my way to having my summer shorts/capris fit in time for Spring Break.  Now, not so much.  Anyway, my pity party involved a banana with almdon butter, hot chocolate and then a cookie.  The cookie was a praline, so basically nuts and sugar.  Obviously, this didn't help me feel better.  Poor choice, Jen.

Moving on.

I have to drive North 2 hrs to my hometown tonight for a father/daughter dance with my dad, 28 yr old sister and 8 yr old sister.  It is a fun event that makes my dad very happy.  I will do my best to avoid nuts, dairy, grains.  I may have a glass of wine.  I will try very hard to use my will power to avoid the sweets.  And, I'll try to dance a lot.  :)

The rest of the weekend, I need to just eat simple, healthy food to try to get back to feeling great. 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Smiling - you have a 28 and an 8 year old sister!  That's quite the range.  :)  A father daughter dance sounds like a great way to spend the evening and the kind of stuff that makes for good memories.  Hope you enjoy the evening.

Yep.  I'm 39.  My dad's been married 3 times.  1st wife was my mom.  They divorced when I was 6 and are great friends now.  They are an awesome example.  They had me and my 36yo brother.  2nd wife was my stepmom who I grew up with and loved.  She died of a genetic disease 12 yrs ago.  They had my 28yo sister and brother who would be 24 this month.  He died of the same disease 6 yrs ago.  3rd wife now has the 8yo (younger mind you than both my kids!).  Add to that my mom and stepdad have my 30yo brother and you have quite the family tree.  It's hard for my kids to keep straight who goes with who.  :)  Luckily, we all get along great and love each other tons.  It will be fun to hang out with my dad and all his girls tonight.  :) 

I'm 39 too, but not for long...

Yay, I'm glad you had a good night with your family.  Despite all the twists and turns, I'm glad your parents were still able to provide a good example.  And I'm sorry about the loss of your step-mom and step-brother.

As for your bad night, I hear you.  As you know, nuts have been my downfall.  Sugar isn't as much of a temptation for me.  I'm just not sure if I need to go more strict (W30) as Juz suggested, or if I need to go back to just eating real food when I'm hungry.  I feel like I've been trying to force things...

Happy Monday!  The dinner/dance was fun.  I had too many cookies.  My willpower did not work in the face of the sweets table.  Oh well.  I have 5 weeks until spring break.  I really need to pull myself together or I will have to go buy new shorts and capris.  I'd rather not do that.  I need to just get to that calm eating place and not let temptations enter my brain.  That is hard for me.  But, I will keep trying. 

Food goals for the next 5 wks:

Err on the lighter side for meals.  If I need a snack, that's fine, but often I don't need one. 

Limit unnecessary starches - have them if I'm really hungry, but not just because they are there. 

Avoid sunbutter - even on a carrot it adds up!

Valentine's dinner date (Sat) - wine and dessert is ok, but the rest of the day, both before and after, is normal food.  The special event does not extend to the rest of the day/evening.

Avoid other temptation events if possible

Remember sugar triggers cold sores.  Just say no.

Worst case nothing happens and I guy new shorts, but I want to at least try. 

I've been wondering if I would be better off eating smaller meals and snacking if necessary.  Kind of against the W30 approach, but my mind is always considering tweaks.  Keep us updated on how it goes!

Valentine's Dinner Date should be nice.   :)

I don't want to make snacking a habit, but I find that when I do get hungry between meals, I can wait much better than I could before W30, so I don't want to overdo the meals out of fear of needing a snack.  If I find I need a snack often, I need to eat more.  But, if I just live with mild hungry feelings for an hour before dinner, that's all good. 

Nothing at all wrong with playing with portion sizes as long as you are still getting all your nutrients in. Glad you had fun at the dance despite the evil cookie table of doom. Sounds like you have an excellent plan for the weeks between now and your spring break trip.

I ate a cookie last night.  So much for avoiding temptation.  LOL  It turned out that my husband was having the scouts make cookies at my house last night.  So, I moved yoga to later so I could stay and supervise/help.  My husband was happy I stayed to help.  My son was happy to have me there.  The scouts enjoyed making cookies.  I was able to make sure my kitchen wasn't a disaster when it was over.  And, I gave into tempation and ate one ooey gooey melty cookie.  The kind right out of the oven that is drooping between the wires of the cooling rack.  Mmmmm.  It was so good and so worth it.  And, then I put the rest in the freezer for the scout banquet, went to yoga and did a headstand without the wall (only stayed up for a few breaths before falling over, but still - I got up!).  So, overall it was a good night.

And no SB.  Day 2 today.

I've been thinking about that cookie.  That ooey gooey melty warm cookie.  It was a million times better than the cookies I ate at the dinner/dance.  Those were bakery cookies, so not store bought or anything, but still nowhere near as good as the fresh from the oven cookie.  I need to remember to hold out for the good stuff! 

3:45 last night.  Well, really 3:44.  I couldn't hold one more second.  I need to be more consistent about remembering every night if I want to break that 4:00! 

Yoga tonight - can't wait to try the headstand again!  I typically don't work on it at home because I think I should be good and warmed up before attempting it.  Safer that way.  I did walk on the TM last night.  I need to get husband to tighten up my elliptical so I can use that, too.  It's clanking. 

The kids are enjoying watching the Olympics.  Last night, we saw some snowboard tricks, skiing and partner skating. 

For the book lovers, 12yo is reading Leviathon right now and says it's pretty good.  No idea what to get next!  9yo finished Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and is working through the Glass Elevator. I'm so happy that he's actually reading!  When he realized he was reading the same book as 2 girls in his class, they formed a little book club.  It's too cute.  I should have known it would be girls that finally get him reading. 

Day 3 no nuts/butters.

Wihoo for reading!!!  We are doing everything we can to encourage reading at our house, and both my husband and I model it.

That cookie sounds totally worth it and I'm glad you enjoyed every bite.  And great job on the no SB!

Rock that headstand tonight, that is awesome.  You can beat the 4 minute mark for the plank, I know it.  Just keep up the practicing.

4:00 (well, really 3:58).  Hard!

Headstand - got up and held it about 8 breaths before falling out before I wanted to.  Making progress!

Day 4 no nuts/butters.  I was very hungry when I got home last night but we weren't eating until late because husband decided to take the boys to the lego movie.  I really wanted a banana with sunbutter.  But, I had a sweet potato instead to hold me over. 

Still holding onto the weight/bloat/whatever from the SuperBowl.  Sigh.  It takes one meal to gain 3 lbs and then nothing will move them.  Sigh. 

Sara - I'm a huge reader.  Husband will read when he has a book, but doesn't go nuts if he doesn't have one like I do.  We have TONS of kids books and have always read to the kids.  Still, they are so different.  12yo takes after me - huge reader, at a total loss if he doesn't have a book to read.  9yo would rather play legos.  It's tough to get him to read.  It's not that he can't read, but it doesn't come as easily as it did for his brother, so between having to work a little harder and wanting to play instead, reading is a huge struggle.  If joining a book club with 2 very cute little girls is what it takes, I'll take it! 

Great job on the plank and headstand, 8 breaths is awesome!

After my intervals last night, I was starving.  I really wanted some nuts/butter.  But I had some berries instead.  It was tough.

Lately the scale only seems to be moving up.  Today it did show a downward turn, I'm hoping that is payoff for being good with the nuts.

Sounds like you and I are similar and our husbands are similar.  When my husband has a book he is into, he devours it.  Then he won't read one for a while.  But he reads magazines and articles all the time.  I can't stand not having a book, and usually have two going, one upstairs, one down.  My son is only in first grade, so his reading isn't quite good enough to not be a group activity.  I think the book club is so sweet!  And as much as I want to encourage reading, I also encourage playing - especially with things like legos, which develop a different part of the brain.

Oh, yeah.  Playing is great, too!  I wish the 12yo would play more. LOL  Too much either way is a struggle.  It sounds like we're very similar - same age, same profession, same reading love, same stuggles with W30.  Funny!

I just read Cinder this last weekend by Meyer (I think).  It was a fun run and your kid might like it.  I'm reading the sequel right now, but so far it's not as engaging.  My husband is reading Cinder and enjoying it as well.

Your planks and headstands really are impressive.  They seemed like pretty big goals before, but now they're totally within reach (a hard reach though :))

Day four of no nuts and butters.  Wow.  I think I could only count my no nuts by hours.  Your no nuts idea may work its way into our house (but not yet).

Great job on the plank and headstand Jen! I'm in the club with you and your 12 yo...in fact I stayed up until 2am finishing book 4 of the Vampire Academy series last night (sigh). My husband is more of an article/news reader. I get too distracted for that stuff. So weird how differently we are all wired. 

Great job on the no nuts/nutbutters. Its funny I rarely have them myself but found myself in the almond butter before bed the last two nights. I also actually slept without waking the last two nights (once I was asleep). Connection?

Day 5 no nuts/butters.

I didn't do anything last night.  Work has been so busy and very stressful and I find myself a tight ball of tension all day.  I worked late last night, so I really needed a break.  I got home just in time to eat the dinner husband made (bass, salad, 1/2 a sweet potato).  I strong armed 9yo through homework, spelling, bath then in bed to read.  Then I collapsed myself with a book and chilled until bed time.  No plank, no TM, no yoga.  But, also no Bailey's (I was tempted!), no chocolate (also tempted) and no nuts/butters.  I left my alarm off this morning and slept 20 minutes late (wish it would have been longer, but still nice to wake up naturally) and feel better this morning.  I'm sure work will do away with any relaxed feelings, but I won't work late tonight.  I wanted to leave at 3 to go to 4pm yoga, but I don't think I can.  I can't go to my regular 7pm favorite yoga of the week because the teacher is doing a special couples yoga tonight and the sub for my class is one I really don't like.  So, I'm going to stay home and relax.  Maybe watch some Olympics with the kids.  I will go to yoga tomorrow.  Then, we have dinner out tomorrow night.  I have a Groupon to a very nice place that includes wine and dessert.  I intend to enjoy every bite and sip.  But, I also intend to eat normally the rest of the day and not let the fact of a splurge impact my whole day (which happens more than I'd like). 

Happy Valentine's to all!

Jen - funny to find someone so similar randomly on a forum. But I'm glad I did! ;-)

Sorry things have been so stressful at work, but I know it is that time of year. Hopefully you are through the worst of it.

Enjoy dinner out tonight! Definitely enjoy every bite and enjoy some time with just your guy, it is so important!

Happy Monday!  I had a nice weekend.  Valentine's date was fabulous.  I ate way too much, but it was all so good and worth it.  Other than that, I pretty much just ate normally.  I'm still up weight wise and not happy about it.  I have 1 month to go until Spring Break and based on the fact that I've been trying to lose weight forever and failing, I doubt it will happen in that month.  I'm at a loss.  I just don't see how I can be "perfect" which I guess is the only way I will lose the lbs that are creeping on.  I'm now over where I started a year ago, despite eating healthier than ever.  Ugh!

I forgot to plank, but I did go to yoga and worked on my headstands.  Progress being made there, at least.

Archived