Jen's Post W30 Log

pjena

Sounds like a great plan!  Having a plan is half the battle (says GI Joe ;) ).  And I agree, a small spoonful didn't do your stomach in.  Now that I found a decent dose of magnesium, I'm scared to take more when I have a bad couple of days.  I've never had the reaction too much magnesium is supposed to cause, but other people's stories have made me nervous.

And I'm joining you on the 30 days of no sweets!  :D

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yay!  The more the merrier.  It will give me incentive to stick with it to have others in on it.

Also, for the record, bacon cupcakes are kind of weird.  The taste is good, but the texture is odd.  I'm glad I tried one so I know not to do it again. LOL

• Moderators

Great plan, especially the getting straight back to template eating Sunday morning. I think that's key.

Sorry about the tummy woes. I hope it, ahem, passes quickly so you can enjoy yourself fully!

No Sugar day 3!!!

That's right.  I didn't have any sweets on Saturday.  I had too many nuts (made me gassy and tired) and too many plantain chips with guac and a bit of alcohol.  That made me really not even want any of the sweets at the party.  So, yay for that!  The party was very fun.  Everyone had a good time and agreed that we have to do it every year.  I cannot believe how many empty corona bottles are currently in our recycling bin!  Crazy.  The kids had a blast, too.  They played outside all night and we had a pinata and mixed up margaritas with sprite instead of tequila.  They felt very grown up. LOL

AF is here.  That and coming off the sugar run last week and the party has me feeling kind of bloated and blah.  But, it will pass. 

I'm actually excited to start the no sugar for 30 days thing.  It's just easier to say no when I have a rule or goal in my head that stops the internal debate before it begins.  I always seem to lose that internal debate...

Yesterday was a nice day.  We got so much done.  I cleaned the oven!  And washed and put away all the winter gear (I'm being optimistic that we won't need it again).  And cleaned up from the party and did tons of laundry and dishes and errands.  Made a delicious salmon chowder for dinner.  Husband washed ALL the windows inside and out and put the screens on.  It took the entire day.  I'm so glad he does windows!

9yo took a spill in the street (collision with another kid while trying to catch a football) and hit his head so we are watching him for concussion symptoms.  He was very sleepy (but he'd been up until midnight the night before) and threw up once (but he throws up often) and so on.  It's hard to tell.  The nurseline told us what to watch for and so far he seems ok and is at school today.  He just needs to take it easy for a couple days.

That's it.  Here's to a good, clean eating week!

Congrats on the sugar free party, good for you!   :D   And a super productive day on Sunday.  I like having a party because once you get everything put away, do a vacuum, the house looks great and you can forget it for a week.

A few years ago, my husband told me that he would do the outside windows if I did the inside.  I did my part, he never did.  Now we get a service one a year that washes inside and out, washes the screens, and does the sills.

Oh no, I hope your son is okay!   :o   Head injuries are always scary.

No sugar day 4

TMI warning - I had some stomach issues last night after dinner.  I thought it was just the stress of a busy night, but upon "observation", I think it was the corn I put in the salmon chowder I made Sunday night.  All better now.

Last night was crazy busy.  I left work early at 4, rushed home to take 9yo to a dr appt, rushed home to feed everyone dinner, rushed to get 12yo and 2 friends to soccer practice, rushed to a scout committee meeting, then finally rushed to yoga.  I was very happy to get there and just relax. 

Thinking of you today Jen bc it's my husband's bday and the kids want to make a cake. You're always so good about making delicious things you don't eat!

Yay for yoga. That does sound like a good end of day reward. Makes me feel like I'm almost ready to go back.

I'm only good at it when I am in the right mindset.  Obviously I failed on Easter, but I'm getting better.  Is there a kind of cake/dessert your husband likes that you don't?  My husband's birthday is a cinch because his favorite is German Chocolate cake and I really don't like German Chocolate cake so it's easy to skip it.  It's the other birthdays that get me...

I'd be a big ball of stress if not for yoga.  And Monday night is one of my favs - she makes it super hard!  We got to do crow and headstand (not part of the usual class).  So fun! 

I need to get back to yoga. I like the exercise I've been doing insofar as my shape goes, but I need that de-stressing of yoga. Need it!

About to have a panic attack bc of the birthday and I've been running around since I woke up. My husband likes chocolate cake which is my favorite. I need to stuff myself with sweet pots so I don't fall into it.

NS5

Busy night again last night.  I left work early to go to 12yo's track meet (middle school track meets are SO boring!!!!!) and then quick home for shower and dinner before going back for his band concert.  He actually looked for me and waved from the stage.  He said that was very hard to do and it is my Mother's Day present. LOL  Husband and 9yo were at a scout event.  We're definitely in the divide and conquer stage. 

I thought we might have to eat at the school so I packed myself hb eggs, veggies and olives in a baggie for dinner.  It's kind of nice to know that a healthy meal is that easy and portable.  I'm sure I'll rely on that often this spring/summer running around for soccer. 

Plank last night 3:30.  Still working on remembering to do it. 

NS5 so good Jen! I'm jealous.

I've stuffed up again. I am coming to realise I have two really strong and I mean really craving surges a month. I was using BCPs for 25 years then after stopping lots of things have gone wrong and I have only just reached my "normal" and it ain't pretty. What's amazing is that after four days of cravings, brain fog and insomnia today even with only four hours sleep I feel like myself again and even working in the kitchen all day have felt no need to go looking for food.... Breakfast and lunch were small compliant leftovers and dinner i baked a small piece of chicken with some green beans... Weird huh. I am going to be tracking the weeks from now on! No wonder I am so sensitive to coffee if my own hormones send me for six so much...

Thanks for letting me share that... I'll delete it tomorrow...

:wub: for the wave  :wub:

It is good to know you have easy to pack, easy to eat bring along meals.  I usually don't want to eat when I'm out and about, but if I wait too long, then I make bad choices at home.

Juz - I think it is good that you are realizing how your cravings are linked to your cycle.  It might not change the cravings, but it can change how you deal with them.

Beets - NS5 - no sugar day 5.  I'm just being lazy. :)

Sara - 12yos don't give loves like the younger ones, but they're even more precious when they do.  Enjoy it while it lasts! 

Juz - don't delete!  It's good stuff.  I track my weeks and have for years.  That's how I know that I got a cold sore every 3 weeks (with AF every 3 weeks - ugh) until W30.  I think without that data, I would forget that one very tangible benefit.  I'm glad you're feeling like yourself again today! 

So, NS6.  I'm thinking of amending my NS plan a bit.  I'm going to try for NS through to the end of August when I have my 40th birthday trip to Sonoma Valley with my mom and bestie and her mom. (I want to feel really good)  I didn't count the days, but that's 4 months.  But, I will allow myself a handful (so, 5, I guess) exceptions for something fabulous.  Nothing at home.  Nothing I could get anytime.  Nothing I could make myself.  But, if I have a date night and hubby wants to get dessert to share and it tastes fabulous, I'm going to be ok with it.  But, I'm going to keep accountability here to keep up the NS all summer.  No grazing on cookies at a BBQ just because they're there.  No bites of hubbies ice cream.  No DQ after soccer.  No sugar.  Yikes!

I ate some cashews yesterday.  It could be a coincidence but my hands kind of swelled up.  No tummy issues, though. 

Today will be weird.  I have a meeting from 5:30-7 (about having my 12yo take math at the university next year instead of at middle school!!!!!  I don't know where he came from.  (to clarify, it's a special program for MS and HS kids - he wouldn't actually take college classes.  But if he does well and sticks with it, he'd be in college classes by 9th grade, which is crazy!)  I plan to have a larabar (if I'm hungry) and kombucha on the way to the meeting and then eat a light dinner after.  I didn't feel like packing a big meal to eat at 5pm.  Not worried.

Have a good day!

• Moderators

Sounds like a good plan for a no sugar summer, Jen. Though as a self designated sugar dragon harbinger, I feel obligated to point out that what might help in your quest is instead of planning for a Larabar and booch in case of hunger, stock a hb egg instead (or at least in addition to!) ;-)

Also, cashews are notoriously dirty nuts.

Very exciting news about your brilliant son!!

Agree, M, but I didn't have any HB eggs and am running low on portable veggies so made the lesser choice.  Hopefully, I won't be that hungry and can wait until I get home.  Or, maybe I'll eat my emergency tuna before I go to the meeting. :)  Thanks for the prodding.

Jen I keep re-reading this piece about not scratching the itch. I thought you might enjoy it. I am finding it really helpful. Though, as I write that, I remember that while grabbing a few things from the natural health store I also grabbed a coconut milk/soy-free chocolate bar. Scratching the itch to buy myself a sweet treat for the ride home from solo grocery shopping. Learning process!

http://zenhabits.net/itchy/

All yoga Mother's Day weekend sounds perfect. Enjoy! You deserve it. 

Yay for yoga!  Enjoy it!  Great job on the better Dinner 1 choice.

I am so excited for your trip to Sonoma for you!  We did Napa/Sonoma for our honeymoon, need to figure a way to get back out there.  That will be so much fun to do with your Mom and BF.   :)

That is really cool about your son.  I like to hear about schools finding different ways to challenge kids.

ETA: Great article, Beets!

Archived