Jen's Post W30 Log

pjena

I think the point of W9 is to get to a point where you can say "I'm good with that" right?  I am not excluding anything other than sweets at this point, but haven't had any reason to have much not W30.  I had white potatoes the other day with fresh chives from my yard.  I don't care to ask what is in stuff if I eat out.  I put goat cheese and strawberries on the salad I made for Mother's Day.  Little things like that make it liveable.  I see some wine in the future next weekend. LOL  But, as long as I don't dive into the desserts, I'm good with that!   

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

Wonderful approach, if you ask me. I think my hard line is going to be white sugar and white flour save for the very special occasion--I'm thinking birthday cake once a year, maybe, and pumpkin pie on Thanksgiving, and a Tartine croissant when I visit friends in San Francisco.

I love this approach.  I want to get to that good place too.  Right now I have to purposefully exclude sugar because that seems to be my downfall where I snack on candy here and there.  But other than that I'm basically sticking to Whole 30 with some deviations for wine, non-gluten grains (basically white rice and the occasional cob of corn).  

It's taken me over a year to get to a calm place.  I'm kind of holding my breath hoping to stay here.  I think if I can just keep sugar out, I will be good.  It's amazing how much happier and calmer and more balanced I am when I am not eating sugar.  It's worth saying no. 

• Moderators

It's taken me over a year to get to a calm place.  I'm kind of holding my breath hoping to stay here.  I think if I can just keep sugar out, I will be good.  It's amazing how much happier and calmer and more balanced I am when I am not eating sugar.  It's worth saying no. 

Lady, you don't need to hold your breath! That leads to gasping for air. You got this. In fact, you just told us how and why. Lay off the sugar. And breathe. Deeply.

I think the calm approach is the key and I wasn't ready for that either last year. I was hanging on so tightly, to the restrictions and the rules and the figuring out, because I felt like I had to. When I let go all hell broke loose.

Now I feel like i *can* have a little bit of chocolate (if it's stays a little bit) and it doesn't mean I'm on a inextricable path to eating bagels by the weekend.

I just don't want to get cocky, you know?  It's only been a month since my rather epic fall out of W30 on Easter.  Overall, though, I feel like I'm in a better place than I have been.  I'm just not thinking about or worrying about it.  I just eat what I eat and move on with life.  I like this place and want to stay here!

Today is NS20.  Still planning on the long haul.  Plans are shaping up for the holiday weekend and include two lunches out (I need to check the menus) and a BBQ with friends.  I will do the best I can, enjoy myself, but have no sweets.  That is my hard line.  The rest, I can deal with.

Just checked one menu and OMG!  So yummy.  Crab stuffed avocado?  Thai shrimp soup?  I will be very happy to eat there. :)

I want to go on your lunch with you, both those items sound delish!

I think it is so wonderful that you have found a good spot for you.  Even though you fell out of your W30, you didn't let it send you into a tailspin.  To me, I get the impression now that your living - not feeling controlled by food one way or the other.  You have freedom instead of restrictions.  A truly great place to be.   :D

Just checked one menu and OMG!  So yummy.  Crab stuffed avocado?  Thai shrimp soup?  I will be very happy to eat there. :)

I might have to crash :).  Sounds divine!

I am going over a friend's house for dinner, and we are both cooking.  As a good guest, I recommended the whole menu and all of the deliciously compliant ingredients.   Bwahahaha!

NS21!

Thanks for all the support!  It means a lot.  I have always tried very hard not to bore people in my life by talking about food and diet all the time.  It's nice to have a place to let all that out. :)

Yoga tonight.  :wub:  It's my favorite class, but I heard the regular teacher will be out of town.  I hope they get a decent sub for her.

Little Mermaid play on Saturday with my 9yo sister and 28yo sister and 28yo sister in law.  Should be fun, though the place (KB - Chanhassen) isn't known for good food or good plays! LOL  But, the 9yo will enjoy it.  It's her birthday sister outing. 

Family outing to a park and yummy sounding food stand (KB - Sea Salt - have you been there?) on Sunday.  Then fRamily BBQ Sunday night.  (there will be wine :ph34r:  ).

Hopefully, Monday will be the low key day to catch up and relax before another week begins. 

Enjoy the weekend everyone!

I forgot to mention that I made brownies last night.  Ooey gooey chocolate kahlua brownies,  And I didn't taste any!  That is a huge win for me.  It was for an employee's birthday.  I knew it was risky to bake, but it's also an ego thing for me to make my own treats so I couldn't buy something.  Anyway, I was totally ok not licking the bowl and am feeling very ok with not having a brownie. 

• Moderators

Brownie willpower is the most impressive kind. WTG!

Also, I feel the same way you do about talking about food and diet IRL and what a relief this forum is. Also makes me feel less nuts.

Sounds like a wonderful weekend. Enjoy!

NS25 today!

I made it through the weekend easily.  No sweets at all.  And really no temptation to have sweets.  I can't say (as last weekend) that I didn't eat anything I wouldn't want to eat.  Eating away from home for three meals makes that impossible.  A few cocktails, too. :)  But, I feel that I made good choices for me, balancing eating what I wanted and eating what feels good.  At the dinner theatre, I upgraded to the salmon.  Nothing on the "included" list was even remotely appealing and I wasn't going to let $6 keep me from eating something decent.  I asked for double veggies and no rice and then ate everyone else's veggies because my sisters are all bad non veggie eaters.  That meant I had almost as many veggies as I wanted. :)  At Sea Salt, I ordered the crab cake.  It was delicious.  I'm sure there was stuff in it I wouldn't normally eat, but I'm ok with that.  My 12yo dubbed the clam fries "amazing" so I had a few of those, too, despite being deep fried.  They were pretty good.  I skipped the ice cream on our way out.  The boys enjoyed theirs, though.  At dinner at friends, the 12yos made guacamole (extra credit for home ec class) so I had a few tortilla chips with guac and then salad, a braut, a corn muffin and wine.  I'm not sure if it was the wine, AF, several meals in a row of out of normal eating or the heat, but I was SO CRABBY Saturday night.  My poor husband couldn't say anything without me getting irritated.  I'm blaming AF, but the rest probably didn't help.  The crabbiness lasted through yesterday.  Luckily, the boys were gone all day canoeing Rice Creek to the Mississippi River.  So, I just tried to relax in quiet and get over my bad mood.  I did laundry and bills and food prep and am feeling more myself today. 

I hope everyone had a good weekend.

My lips tingle when I eat vinegar.  Think it's just the acid or some sort of allergy?  It's weird.  I love balsamic and can totally live with a little tingling as long as it isn't a symptom of something bigger.  If it's sulfites, it could explain why even one glass of wine makes me feel not great. 

Also want to note that the cottonwood is flying and the trees are blooming and my allergies are NOT going nuts.  Maybe last spring was just too early to see the benefit of W30ish eating?  My allergies got worse during my first W30 due to the spring thaw and a new puppy.  It was awful.  This spring - nothing out of the ordinary.  (I have year round allergies but they tend to get worse at certain times of the year)  That would be a nice benefit!

Wow. I just read about you resisting those brownies. I have not had the confidence to many anything I can't eat!

And yay for no allergies!

I *definitely* get crabby when I eat off plan for a few days. Super crabby. Here's to getting back to kale and eggs and the rest.

This morning I couldn't face bacon and eggs and spinach or turkey mince with pumpkin soup so I made myself a swypo egg dish with apple sauce and seeds and blueberries... Not ideal but nothing to get crabby because of at least. I did enjoy my fatty pork and spinach and sweet potato for lunch though :) and I am looking forward to my soup for brekkie tomorrow....

Archived