Jen's Post W30 Log

pjena

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today is NS10!  I overate yesterday - too much good food.  And I ate things I normally don't eat.  I have a belly ache (my grandma made a rhuben hotdish that she was very proud of, so I ate some. It was very good, but full of cream and cheese and butter and likely the cause of the belly ache)  But, I had no sweets, so that is a win. 

No yoga yesterday.  The boys wanted me to stay home for Mother's Day.  So, I stayed home and made pancakes with the 9yo (didn't eat any, just supervised him making them) and then we all biked to buy me coffee and the boys hot chocolate.  It was a good decision, though I did miss yoga.  12 yo bought me a new cold coffee cup with his own money for Mother's Day.  I was very proud of him.  He made me a card with a picture of kale and eggs and yoga on it. LOL

I hosted 16 people for Mother's Day.  Everyone was very complimentary.  I made a ham, salad with strawberries and goat cheese and homemade dressign, green beans with ghee and slivered almonds and had rolls and chips.  Other people brought a veggie tray with dips, guac (which caused me to get out the plantain chips and also likely contributed tot he belly ache) and chips, that rhuben casserole, fruit salad and pie with ice cream.  It was quite the spread and everyone had a good time. 

I cleaned out a few of my planters and planted my tomatoes, basil and bell peppers.  I have the boys cleaning out the rest so we can plant carrots, cucumbers and scallions.  9yo gave me seeds for Mother's Day.  I have a brown thumb (which is why I pay for a CSA) but I still want the boys to know that food grows from the ground and not from the grocery store, so I make a small effort each year to grow a few things in pots.  We don't get much, but it's worth the effort. 

All in all, it was a nice weekend.  I hope everyone had a nice Mother's Day weekend, as well.

Sounds like a great weekend, even with no yoga on Sunday.  I love that your son made you a card with some of your favorite things.  And you got your mug!  :D

I think it is great to do a container garden.  The best part about that, is hopefully everything is close to the house.  Sometimes I get lazy and don't want to walk down to the garden to get herbs.  I think I'll do some herbs in containers on the deck.

Great job on the no sweets challenge!

12 yo bought me a new cold coffee cup with his own money for Mother's Day.  I was very proud of him.  He made me a card with a picture of kale and eggs and yoga on it. LOL

:wub:

Bravo on the no sweets--even after hosting 16 people! I theoretically love having people over, but I get really stressed in the thick of it. YAY!

• Moderators

Hooray on NS victories!

You're inspiring me to plant myself the tiniest of gardens. I want to stick my fingers in the dirt and eat things I've grown. Or at least try.

NS12 today.  Belly is still recovering from too much on Sunday.  9yo and I planted carrots, scallions and lettuce seeds last night.  We'll see what we get.  Mostly it's just fun to see things grow.

M - We don't get much, but it is very satisfying to grow something.  Even just basil. :)

I have a little deck railing planter box that a friend gave me that I really need to get some herbs into. I need to get my husband to move the grill to the other deck railing as the one it currently is on gets the best sun. My co-op had these need salad planters in big round containers too that I was thinking of buying even though I have seeds to start them myself. That was the only plant I had great luck with when I tried growing my own stuff at our house. Well that and mint which doesn't really take much care it just takes over. ;)

NS13.

No yoga last night.  I pulled something in my shoulder / neck that is bugging me.  I thought I should rest.  It still hurts today.  I will not be happy if I can't do yoga tomorrow!  Friday night Rocket yoga is my fav. 

Instead of yoga, 9yo and I walked around the soccer field while 12yo practiced.  9yo fell off his ripstick (kind of like a skateboard).  Trying to comfort him, I hugged him and told him he needs more padding on his butt (true - he's a string bean).  I thought it would make him laugh.  Instead he got mad and spent the rest of the night telling me I shouldn't hurt people's feelings.  Sigh.  Made for a long evening.  I wish someone would tell me I needed more padding on MY butt! LOL

Soccer game about an hour away tonight means eating on the road.  I never did make hb eggs.  Not sure what I'll eat.  I just hope I can get out of work early enough to pull something together.  I need to make hb eggs this weekend.  In the meantime, I'll figure something out.

Sorry about your neck and shoulder. Any chance you can get in to see a massage therapist or a chiropractor today? 

I think those of us who struggle with feeling like we are overweight forget that people of all sizes can have body issues. I know what you said was meant to be funny but it sounds like it struck a nerve with him and maybe body image is something you need to discuss with him when he is calmer. 

I'm sure you will figure something fabulous out for tonight. Have fun at the soccer game!

No time for that sort of thing!  I have soccer games to chaufer.  LOL  It's changed from a very specific point of pain that felt like a pulled something to a more general soreness so I think it's healing up.  Probably just overdid it at yoga last weekend.  Lots of heart openers and wheel. 

You're right that body issues come in all sizes.  But he's a 9yo boy who laughs whenever someone says "butt" so I think it was just him being in a bad mood.  I will ask him, though, if he feels bad about being skinny.  Maybe other people tease him and he just hasn't mentioned it.  Thanks for the reminder.

Hopefully it heals on its own then. Rest is always good. :)

Kids can be mean. I think I was 9 when kids starting calling me fatty. Looking back at those photos I wasn't even fat. But it set off a long chain reaction of events. Even if he was just in a bad mood doesn't hurt to bring up discussions about loving our bodies the way they are. :) I hope that it was just a bad mood though. 

Lots of things hurt my son's feelings, like getting in trouble.  (No screens, you know better than to xxx...; you are hurting my feelings)   :)

It is good to be conscious of his feelings about being thin (I have one of those too), but I know that by the middle to end of the school week, many things are "hurting his feelings".

And why are "butts" and bodily functions so funny???  I walked in at bedtime last night to a full moon and then a collapse into hysterical laughter.   :D  :rolleyes:  :D

Hope your neck/shoulders heal up quickly!

NS14.

Shoulder is better today.  Just a little sore.

I decided to wing it last night.  We ended up stopping at Jimmy John's for dinner, but luckily, there was a Chipotle next door.  I had packed a larabar just in case dinner was unworkable (aka Jimmy John's - even pre W30, I wouldn't want to eat there), but am glad I didn't have to eat it.  My carnitas bowl with guac was delicious.

The weekend should be fairly uneventful food wise.  We have lots of soccer and yoga on the calendar, so we'll see if we can make it all work.  Unlike some other weekends, the games don't seem to make eating times awkward.

Have a nice weekend, everyone!

NS17.  The weekend was good.  I didn't eat anything I wouldn't want to eat.  The soccer games did end up making eating times awkward, but I managed.  I actually went 8 hours between "lunch" (which was at 10:30) and dinner yesterday without ever really feeling that hungry.  Love that!  I managed a good cook-up yesterday evening, too.  Made hb eggs, mayo, chopped a ton of veggies, prepped tonight's dinner and a few lunches all while making yesterday's dinner.  Pretty impressive, if I do say so myself. :) 

I hope everyone had a nice weekend.  We had sun!  It was kind of windy, but so nice to have sunny days.  We all got a bit sunburned (Mom failure!).  I need to do better with the sunscreen next time.  I tried, though, and have the soccer cleat puncture in my toe to prove it (ouch!).  Next time, I'll sit on him. LOL 

Sounds like a great weekend, despite the cleat to chest (ouch!).  And yay for sunny days!  After the monsoon on Friday, we also had a sunny weekend.  We need to get back in the swing of sunscreen as well, it is easy to become complacent over the winter.

Sounds like you're in good shape for the upcoming week, I love that feeling!

• Moderators

NS18.  Not much new to say.  Keep on keepin' on, as Sara said in her log.  :)

I love how this is, ultimately, where we get to once we create a W9 life. It's a great place.

Lol. Whenever I think about the ripstick I think about my SIL's mom. She went to buy one for the grand kids for Christmas in the mall. Some teenager took her to the lipstick counter. He thought she was just mispronouncing lipstick.

I love your crow and plank practice. When I got in shape pre baby # 2 one of my goals was holding crow. I practiced at home every day. I got there, but I haven't been back since. I can only hold it for like a half a second. I gotta do it.

And, aw, my son is a sensitive one too. I said something like that to him the other day and he got really upset. These sweet sensitive skinny boys!

Very proud of you Jen!

You've got me thinking with M's comment too... Re whole9ing. I've been drinking a few glasses of wine a week and I'm not sure if I'm happy with that. But my whole9 diet excludes dairy, grains and legumes and added sweeteners but doesn't exclude chips, chocolate, wine or juice in small amounts. And I don't mind having some jellybeans/candy as long as I don't start adding sugar to coffee or egg dishes etc or demolishing packets of sweets.... So I guess as long as I'm exercising and sleeping okay then I'm good with that!

Archived