Look ma, no hands!

Beets

Grr! This site is infuriating to use at the moment. Tapatalk just deleted my post and replaced it with a quote from Derval, not marked as a quote of course.

Anyway, That program looks good. Maybe that'll be my July project. Though in the past I've noticed a nice synergy with organization of my home and body. Maybe I'll start next Monday. I like how it seems to take the good aspects of Fly Lady (morning routine, 15 mins, throw out 7 things) but doesn't get into the stuff that bogs me down (notebook, 8 billion emails a day, etc.)

Lady M, please if you saw me from the knees down you would be quite pleased with your own skin. Aside from my psoriasis on my knees/shins I also have it in my nails, which makes it embarrassing to go to yoga. I haven't had a cute pedicure in almost two years and I can't wear any cute summer sandals. I know, I shouldn't care what ppl think. But I do. I am also working on positive attraction and being happy with other things, but I'm just an envious person. And I really envy every nice foot with a bright pedicure in a pair of strappy sandals Working on it, but it's a major project.

I guess, like food, I need to think about what I *can* comfortably wear (long wrap skirts, maxi dresses, espadrilles) instead of what I can't.

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ooh, gingery cabbage, that sounds nice.  Might have to give it a whirl myself!

I can totally relate on the skin embarrassment thing Beets.  I've severe atopic eczema, currently under control with fairly heavy duty drugs, but it's been a big part of my life since I was a baby.  In the lead up to going on these meds, it decided to flare really badly on my face.  So I was going around for over three months with a giant red, itchy flare all across my cheeks and chin.  Along with patches in all the usual places.  It makes you so self conscious, and yup, envious.  I've spent massive chunks of my adult life envying people with normal skin (not even good skin!  And I want to kill people who have one zit and grumble about their skin being terrible) and especially women who wear beautiful makeup - something I've hardly ever been able to wear.

I'm getting a reprieve at the moment but it won't last forever, so I need to be working on my jealousy as well.  Gosh I love these forums.  I started posting this as a "you're not alone" type thing and ended up with an epiphany myself.   :wub:

Beets I must tell you that I've seen so many feet in studios while dancing you have no idea. I've seen pretty feet like uhmm twice? Seriously. I think that we just tend to notice things that are important in our system of values. There is a syndrome name for this. I can't remember the name.Brain scanner, you know?  Pretty sandals and pedicures in this case for example. I would notice every single girl with good hair for example but would not care for how her feet look like. My feet have effects of every activity I've taken, not too elegant looking, trust me.

You can wear long dresses? Ohoh. That is pretty cool in my book. This thing is hard to pull off. With those glasses from your blog. Very summery and chick.

M, That is a sessy look for sure but I'm not sure I have the balls for it. I do have some of the American App leotard things (not quite there with the body) but the socks pulled up, hmm, maybe I'll have to get more adventurous! I am laughing. And thinking about the shopping thing. I do not shop. But I guess I could enjoy it?

Pp, I love the epiphany. Sometimes I think, I gotta stop spending time on this forum (and I do need to curtail it). But it is so immensely helpful. As for the gingery cabbage, I use the same skillet I cook the meat in and use the nomnom trick of microplaning frozen ginger into the pan. Best trick ever. That's my go to simple dish.

N, I hear you on the noticing the thing that bugs you about yourself. I wrote a whole thing about it yesterday but Tapatalk erased it. Yesterday at the playground there was a good looking dad, tall, handsome, fit. But my eye kept going to a varicose vein near his knee. I was conscious of this and tried to train myself to see him as a whole person, but that bugling vein kept pulling my eye. This will take a lot of work.

This morning's Law of Attraction email was so spot on about focusing on what we want, not on what we don't want.  I always think of it as changing the radio channel in my brain to give me a station I like better.  :)   It's kinda like that with our food list.  Focus on what I CAN have, not what I can't.

Hurray for compliments!!  I love reading that. 

I totally agree about the anonymous nature of the internet, though I do have to say that I met a woman on a Vegan forum in 1989 that lives on the east coast and we're still friends and have visited each other numerous times.  But, my upstairs neighbor is starting W30 and I'm glad she's not that interested in the internet and probably won't even as about this forum.  Whew!

Beets, I really hear you about one self improvement task at a time being plenty.  I honestly can't believe you have time for ANY given your two rugrats!!

Derval: Thanks for the program link...I think I've seen that before. I work a full time job with a commute that is at least 30 minutes each way. I think like Beets said...I can only work on one thing at a time. I have found when I get some simple things done each day and than try to handle the bigger things on the weekend that I can make progress but my weekends have been so busy lately. My W30 (starting Monday) will have some goals related to this though...I'm still working over them in my head.

Beets: I love the idea of long flowy dresses! I got some pretty inexpensive slip on canvas sneakers at Old Navy that are quite comfy and not too hot. I wish I could pull of the maxi dress but I'm short and still fairly heavy and it just doesn't look right on me. I like knee length things myself and the only problem I have with wearing them currently is that I have a capri and running shoe tan line that looks somewhat silly. Hope you find more relief with this round of W30.

In Manhattan now. My husband's boss turned 50 and his wife threw him a surprise party at a bourbon and meat restaurant.

I'm waiting in my car in a frigging tropical storm for my fancy bourbon drunk husband. He has his coat on. Good. Was a total surprise and the boss was happy. I ate the food without asking what was in anything: duck with a pickle and radish, kielbasa with pickled mustard seed (must be the trendy ingredient) and...a couple deviled egg topped with caviar. Whites and all. Amazing creation. And...a glass of red wine.

I'm not starting over. This is why I'm here in Post- land. Moving forward.

Ack. I didn't have the amazing looking ham on fried grit cube or the brisket on bread with pickle and pickled onion. Looked amazing--I used to love that sandwich. No bourbon.

Hilarious. These young 20-something yr olds are makking it in a doorway. Ah, memory, all alone in the moonlight, I can smile at the old days, I was beautiful then. (Cats?) The city is crazy! Umbrellas turned inside out. Downpour! These streets in this hood remind me of being young, drunk and lost in the winter.

I left to get my car from a garage, go home and put my kids to bed, but my dad miraculously got them down and so I stopped in at Whole Foods. We don't have one in Brooklyn and I haven't been there in awhile. So many yummy looking treats! And I don't even mean the cake. But the cheese. And the seasoned almonds. Eh, whatever.

We are going to NH to my MiL's tomorrow and I've been a bit of a nervous wreck about that. Have to make my brisket still when I get home. And now my husband is really irritating me! gab gab gab. But I had to laugh walking with my giant WF bag and my giant umbrella flipping inside out with people running for cabs everywhere. I used Lady M's idea that before envy there is a moment of beauty. Tried to enjoy that.

Argh. My husband doesn't drink often but sometimes...grr.

ETA: He planned this party and brought together the disparate factions, some from far away. So he was pretty pleased with himself and he was really happy and having fun and proud of himself and happy I was there. Just in his defense. There was also apparently two Kentucky guys there with their extremely prized rare bourbon ($90/glass). So all the guys were jazzed about that.

Young lady! Please stop saying things like.....I was beautiful then.

I've seen your pics and you're beautiful now. Law of attraction says we will manifest whatever we bring attention to. Bring attention to what's stunning about you.

I'm glad you had fun eating at the party. We're you able to laugh at husbands texts?

Good luck in NH. P,ease stop and ship cooked brisket to California. I was raised on brisket. Still love it!

Love the sudden breaking into cats song. Hope you are home by now. Silly husband.

Where in NH are you headed? My family is all in NH pretty much. Hope you can enjoy it!

I don't miss the tropical storm/hurricane aspect of living on the East coast at all.

Calee, just singing a song. ;) And being melodramatic for a poor attempt at self-deprecating humor. But thank you. :)

Feeling all jammed up now about my w30 status. The thing I never clearly decided how I'd handle this party. I was all stressed about what I'd wear and how I'd get my dad to put the kids to bed, and shop for clothes, and get packed for NH, and cook my food for the weekend, and explain what I eat to my dar MIL who wants to food shop that I never drew a line in my mind.

Lets just say this is my whole-ish. If I say I'm off I will proceed to eat junk at the MIL's.

Oh and Physibeth, we are going to Portsmouth. My husband is from Manchester but most of his five siblings live in P'mouth now.

Hah! When I saw the comments, I realized you were singing. Sorry about that.

I guess there are dozens of posts about re introducing foods and living out there in the world. Keep saying your WholeWhole to yourself with hopes of keeping your intentions clean this weekend. If you food dive, you'll come back wishing you had done it differently. Give the different a try and see how close to template eating you can stay. If you wnt o ff road,mits fine but I would think better if you plan so that you can really enjoy it.

Oh it's definitely better to plan. No doubt.

All week I was freaking out thinking about what I'd wear to the party. It took over my brain. I had a huge meltdown and massive screaming argument with my husband about it Thursday night. I was feeling really frustrated with the lack of progress with my psoriasis and frustrated I couldn't get out of the house to shop (no way can I bring my son into a clothing store--he can be completely wild) for something (and being broke I would have had to use a credit card, something I'm trying to avoid). And freaking out about wearing a dress into the city with my skin exposed.

It turned out to be in the low 60s, pouring rain, and the party was a bunch of dudes my husband works with plus the boss's wife. I wore my clog-type ankle boots and skinny jeans and a cute lacy t-shirt I bought yesterday for $24 and all was well.

There was talk about my photo biz (I took pics of one guy's twin newborns) and our friend, an artist, was telling me I need to join this artist co-op and submit my work. Someone else said his friend who has photos in the MoMA loved my work. Another guy, a picky designer, wants me to photograph his daughter and newborn twins when they arrive. So--aside from the off-roading it was a good thing for me.

In my mind I'm still on a w30. I think ive just forfeited the right to track my days? I cannot think about off-roading at my MIL's. Her place is a palace of bread and processed carbs. I've killed many a good run of eating there. I have to hit it strong.

Got home late but got my brisket in the slow cooker. Right now I have sweet pots in the oven and a pound of ground lamb in a skillet. I haven't been eating sweet pots but they are good emergency food to have on hand. And about to cut carrots and make YO (yolk-only) mayo in case.

(Oh and PP that was more of a "Cats, anyone?" than a "is that from Cats?" ;) My friends and I used to listen to the album in middle school (80s!) and I loved that song, even when I was 12 I had a melancholy sense of nostalgia.)

Last, I feel so nauseated and have itchy bumps. All the meat was groovy, Niman Ranch type stuff. So I think it was the egg whites in the deviled eggs. And god knows what else was in that delightful concoction. I haven't had egg whites in many weeks.

Off to pack my kids, dogs and hungover husband into the car for a five hour drive! I actually enjoy driving but the hour it takes (on a good day) to get out of the NYC snarl is stressful. And let's not forget the food. That is critical.

Driving in NY sounds scary. And expensive! I would have gone to that part and done exactly the same thing plus an extra glass of wine. No outfit selfies? Sounds cute. Photog jobs, a weekend away. All sounds fab. The processy carb palace sounds more like a wasteland. You're doing so well taking your own food and juggling packing the fam- I know what that's like. I hope some time on the open road today lets your wings spread a little.

Enjoy NH- I love it up there and hope to settle there someday, maybe when it's just me and my husband around...

We did the Maryland to NH trip once a month for 5 years to visit my son in school. 6 kids in the car-long drive,busy packing event right before,etc.

We always had a great time, but I remember lying in bed nights before leaving going over in my head every little detail I would have to try to remember about packing, locking up the house, $$,meals on the road, snacks for the ride,books, entertainment for the kids while driving etc. Made me nuts !!!

Have fun !!

Archived