Look ma, no hands!

Beets

Urgh! When I was looking for the butcher I can stick with I used to ask same questions to different staff members. It wasn't uncommon that the answers were not matching. It drives me nuts that there is this gap that allows to place misleading labels. Like if part of ingredients are organic you can stick organic label on it. At the closer look the stuff contains organic something that is from the "clean" list and conventional item from the "dirty". While healthy eating getting more and more popular is a wonderful thing, we are paying for it. Literally.

I am researching bulk meat share options at the paleo meet up group in my area. I feel lucky to like organ meats and fish, because these items really help to stretch the budget to afford gf, which is not always the case.

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, I think we kind of are as clueless. It's why I resist moving back out there. The house building is so hard and stressful, and I fear it will strain us too much. I don't think I will ever move back to a 300 sq foot sardine can, but I think I want to from time to time. Keeping up with a rent house and land mortgage is putting a strain though. We have one friend who built a 2000 sq foot rammed earth house here (with tires, like an earthship). It broke up his marriage and wrecked his joints. He said he'd never do it if he had it all over to do again- despite paying cash for his home and living mortgage free. That haunts me. We are looking for someone to live on our land in the trailer in trade for work. I might take a part time job at the health food store (humiliating as it is at 34) for a discount on food, during my slow season anyways. Ahhhhhh, crazy making. Thanks for the vent!!!

It's a good thing I listened to a podcast about things in the past being in the past today. I just realized I accidentally tweeted out links to stuff Id written on his forum. Ack! I must've accidentally pressed the tweet button.

So embarrassed. Not about strangers but people I know. I would never talk about my weight, my insecurities my anxiety, depression, etc., with people I know--unless it was my best friends. And even then there are maybe two people I'd talk to about that stuff. Dear lord.

Sheeeeeeit. I can only laugh at myself, right?

Not like I have 5,000 followers. I have barely even used twitter at all in the last year. Mostly embarrassed about a couple old college friends who follow me. They already know I'm a freak but talking about my eating issues online just feels really embarrassing.

Ack. Embarrassed but not dying from it.

Love your new thumbnail

Ha! In my immediate panic I thought, I must be anonymous! I must delete all my posts! But whatever damage is done is done. I don't even know which pic I changed to. It looks the same on my phone.

Damn technology. That's a sign. I need to get off my phone and into my life.

aw that sucks. I am with you, I don't talk about this stuff with anyone in my immediate life other than my family. but, glad you are letting it slide by. reality is this stuff usually is in all of us and we just don't talk about it to each other. who knows, maybe your accidental tweet will open someone else up and change their life!

M1: salad, ground beef, avocado/meyer lemon/EVOO/ salt dressing (enjoyed this simple combo a lot)

M2: broccoli/CM/bone broth/ginger/turmeric soup, slice of ham, another cup of bone broth, dried peaches, prune (suspect my dried fruit intake is killing me), kombucha

M3: pâté, radishes

Feeling better. Listened to a perfect Zencast podcast on Happiness this afternoon while I made soup and enjoyed a summer storm from inside. "When your mind is busy there is no room for happiness." Feeling much better. Cooler air and my cold seems to be subsiding.

I won't be introducing anything after tomorrow. Except some wine this weekend. I'd like to try to add egg yolks back into the rotation--mostly for mayo. But I think I'll wait a few more days at least.

Read more about Paleo Mom's psoriasis. Patience is the watchword. I'm terrible at patience. I'm learning.

• Moderators

Patience, yes. Not fair to say you suck at it while you're learning it. . . . You wouldn't sabotage one of your kids that way. You deserve the same kind of respect and love. :)

Yes. Great quote, right? My mind is the same--race, race, race, often undoing any positive thoughts I have. I wrote it down along with a few other sentences. Podcast app genius: you can rewind in 15 second increments.

A busy mind has no space for happiness, except happiness that comes from thinking. But the problem with happiness that comes from thinking is it is very fragile and has to be supported by more thinking. If happiness can arise independent of thinking, we don't have to think ourselves happy.

I have never listened to podcasts. I should try it. It would be good to slow my mind down. I do EVERYTHING fast. I can't sit still. It works in that I'm very productive at work and home and can juggle life, but it probably isn't good that I just never slow down. I know you posted it before in various threads, but which site(s) do you like for podcasts?

Well, I didn't stick with my plan to remain on AIP except wine. I ate potato chips, chocolate (just cacao and sugar).

But, as Gil Frondsal said in one of the Buddhist lectures I listened to this week: what you had for breakfast or what you said last week is in the same place as the pharoahs of Egypt.

The past is in the past. Moving forward.

Today I ate

-brisket over lettuce with avocado dressing (avo, meyer lemon, salt, evoo); note the charred end bits created by my too hot slow cooker mmmmm

post-19355-1369534468865_thumb.jpg

-said bag of chips, said 1/4 choc bar, decaf americano black

-pâté with radishes in two installments, very full, wasn't hungry for dinner, mug of broccoli soup (bone broth, CM, broc, garlic, lots of ginger, turmeric)

Watched the first episode of an excellent series: Top of the Lake. It's was written and directed by Jane Campion. I wrote a thesis on another of her films back when I was really into complex french lit and film theory. And now I notice the amazing cinematography. Beautiful, sad, disturbing--touching a deep place. A combination of Wallander with The Killing--minus the latter's gratuitous sexual violence. In the last few years I've gotten really lazy-minded about what we watch. It was good to enjoy something on the highbrow side.

My husband queued it up on Netflix. Thoughtful of him to encourage me to watch something I'll enjoy, v something I can Tapatalk my way through. ;) Another step into rediscovering myself, or enjoying parts of myself I've stuffed away to some degree in the last few years.

The coffee. Hmm. I have been craving chocolate and coffee like mad the last couple days. Maybe I'm ovulating? Maybe it's another gasp of the old bad habits? I fed them today. But nothing crazy. And I feel soo full! I think it's the liver.

My daughter's neck is the softest thing in the world:

post-19355-1369534595505_thumb.jpg

Well, I didn't stick with my plan to remain on AIP except wine. I ate potato chips, chocolate (just cacao and sugar).

But, as Gil Frondsal said in one of the Buddhist lectures I listened to this week: what you had for breakfast or what you said last week is in the same place as the pharoahs of Egypt.

The past is in the past. Moving forward.

Today I ate

-brisket over lettuce with avocado dressing (avo, meyer lemon, salt, evoo); note the charred end bits created by my too hot slow cooker mmmmm

post-19355-1369534468865_thumb.jpg

-said bag of chips, said 1/4 choc bar, decaf americano black

-pâté with radishes in two installments, very full, wasn't hungry for dinner, mug of broccoli soup (bone broth, CM, broc, garlic, lots of ginger, turmeric)

Watched the first episode of an excellent series: Top of the Lake. It's was written and directed by Jane Campion. I wrote a thesis on another of her films back when I was really into complex french lit and film theory. And now I notice the amazing cinematography. Beautiful, sad, disturbing--touching a deep place. A combination of Wallander with The Killing--minus the latter's gratuitous sexual violence. In the last few years I've gotten really lazy-minded about what we watch. It was good to enjoy something on the highbrow side.

My husband queued it up on Netflix. Thoughtful of him to encourage me to watch something I'll enjoy, v something I can Tapatalk my way through. ;) Another step into rediscovering myself, or enjoying parts of myself I've stuffed away to some degree in the last few years.

The coffee. Hmm. I have been craving chocolate and coffee like mad the last couple days. Maybe I'm ovulating? Maybe it's another gasp of the old bad habits? I fed them today. But nothing crazy. And I feel soo full! I think it's the liver.

subscribing because this thread is awesome. :-)

and also going to add Top of the Lake to netflix because my husband needs one more reason to roll his eyes at my "boring" TV choices. At least we can agree that Arrested Development will OWN our TV starting tomorrow.

baby necks are amaaazing.

[quote name='Beets' timestamp='1369534627' post='104822'

Beets, past is definitely past. Hope you can let go of any emotional charge.

I have Top of the Lake on TiVo to watch soon. Glad you like it. My brother told me to Netflux Wallender but I haven't gotten to it yet.

Your daughters neck is gorgeous!

Why not google the foods you're craving and see if you're missing some minerals that are causing cravings.

You and my son would have fun talking. He majored in Comparative Lit in the romance languages at Cal,mthen got his MFA in screenwriting at NYU. Now in 5th year of MFA in directing at NYU. He lives, breathes film and writing.

Have a fun Sunday!

French lit! We should talk sometime. Though I haven't ventured anywhere near film (yet) ... Until this year was hanging out in the 14th and 15th centuries, now writing my doctoral thesis on French dystopia.

I don't even know which pic I changed to. It looks the same on my phone.

Damn technology. That's a sign. I need to get off my phone and into my life.

This is the pic/ it's showing up from viewing the forum on my phone browser but in tapatalk it is your regular picture.

I don't know why but this kind of troubles me. Like if the Internet is able to just grab whatever pic out of my phone (gasp!)

Is this your pic at least?

post-14185-13695947958627_thumb.jpg

Ha! It is the picture. Seems on my phone/iPad the only way pics get updated is if I uninstall/reinstall, which I have to do on my phone anyway bc it keeps taking away ability to post pics. Prob a bug.

It's a screen shot from Rocky II (or III?). It was just such a goofy scene. But I watched it at the end of my W30 and thought about posting it in a log.

French lit! We should talk sometime. Though I haven't ventured anywhere near film (yet) ... Until this year was hanging out in the 14th and 15th centuries, now writing my doctoral thesis on French dystopia.

Oh Pp, my writing was misleading! I know next to nothing about French lit (except reading English translations of Proust, Stendhal, Céline, and I'm working on the new Lydia Davis translation of Madame Bovary). I meant I used to be really into French literary/critical theory. Julia Kristeva was my fave. Now I can hardly read it. When you're out of practice it's like a foreign language.

I'm still impressed. :) I have a BA in French and studied some French Lit as well as art, history and the language. I almost went to grad school for French. I've also lost the skills, though. I still can't get through the alphabet without switching over to French, though.

Archived