Changes in Menstrual Cycle

Megan

I've done several rounds of whole30, and occassionally I'll be early or late by a couple of days, but nothing too shocking.  I've been regularly taking birth control pills, so as long as it came around the same time every month, all was well.  This month, though, on day 5 of whole30 I started my cycle - about 7-9 days before it was expected.  Thought it might just be spotting, but no, I got it all.  Cramps, back pain, etc.  Don't particularly have any questions about it, just thought I'd share in case someone has insights or if someone else experienced something similar. 

I have been back on the pill several years and don't have a cycle much at all. Nothing more than spotting and a normal cycle about every 6 months. Well I had a normal cycle last round and wouldn't be due to start for another full week by my pills. I am spotting today...strange. I am day 8 of whole30

• 2 weeks later...

So, following up on my post from Sept. 12, I'm now frustrated, confused, and hoping to get an answer sometime soon on what's going on.  Sorry if the information here is TMI.

I shared that my period started on day 5 of this whole30, and it was about 7-9 days before my usual start, and I wasn't concerned.  Typically, my cycle is very reliable as I've been on the pill for several years.  It would start on the weekend it was supposed to, last 2-3 days, and be done.  I'm currently on day 12 of bleeding/spotting (some days it's heavier, some days it's lighter, some days it goes right back to being heavy, some days it's nearly gone) and I'm wondering when it's going to end.  I'm going to the doctor on Friday for a follow up on some bloodwork (unrelated to this) but I'll ask him then if he has insight as to what's going on.  In the meantime, if anyone else has anything to share or offer, I'll listen.  

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

When I did whole30 my period came several days early. Even on the pill! My PMS symptoms were greatly reduced as well. 

I've had two cycles since being off of whole30 and I still don't get the breast tenderness that I used to! :) That's a great NSV!

• 2 weeks later...

My period was 10 DAYS EARLY! This has NEVER in my life happened. I am on my 3rd whole 30.  Last year when I did it my period was fine, and I had no PMS  which was awesome, this month has been the WORST it's been in awhile, I have no clue if it's due to the whole30 or what, but I am not happy about it. I am also so bloated this time too.  

• 3 months later...

I am glad to have found this thread, and will have to go back and read some more, but I wanted to go ahead and post.

My cycle has never been super regular, but after I entered my 30s (34 now) it became more consistent although more intense. Cramps, sometimes severe, for the first two days, heavy bleeding the entire time, but lasting exactly 7 days (in the past I could have a very light period but go for 14 days). 

When I started W30 I was already two days late (I track with an app, and it's become fairly accurate now that I've used it long term). Well that turned into 16 days late, as it finally arrived with a vengeance today. Pain, nausea, light headedness, etc. I actually left work after only being there 2.5 hours. :(

I'm pretty sure I have PCOS or fibroids (mom has fibroids, friend has PCOS and my symptoms line up with hers), but haven't been to the doctor for an official diagnosis. I plan to do so soon though, I just have not had good experiences in the past so it's made me a little hesitant to actually make the appointment. But I know it needs to happen, even if only to give me a reason not to feel bad for missing work. 

I'm hoping W30 will actually help in the long run, because I know the things I want to eat during my cycle, probably aren't what I should be eating, and therefore make it worse. Right now, I just want to make it through tomorrow without dying. :unsure:

Update to the above:

I felt better when I woke up, but about 30 mins later the cramps and nausea returned. I decided it was wise to take another self care day, even though I absolutely hate calling out of work. 

I included some starchy veggies in my dinner last night, but appetite in general has been minimal due to the nausea. I'm trying to eat mini meals when I feel like eating, because I know I need to eat. I am at least trying to drink and stay hydrated, even if I can't actually eat. Peppermint tea is my bff right now, and fruit seems to be more appealing, so I'm making sure it's balanced with a fat or protein at least.

Since things are not as severe as yesterday, I am hopeful that tomorrow will be just a normal period day, and I can get back to work, etc. 

On 8/26/2013 at 10:04 AM, DubyaWife said:

I'm on Day 26.  I've been on BC for 13 years (yeah I know... I'm going off it as soon as the hubby gets the vasectomy).

I started spotting about a week earlier than usual, while on the pill... that never happens.  Plus I had horrible cramps.  

This morning I had to drag myself out of bed ...I am so tired. And this is after having tigerblood all last week.  :(

The same thing is happening to me right now! Spotting about a week and a half early and I'm on bc. I'm at day 13, I was so nervous something g was wrong. So this kind of thing is apparently  fairly common then?

On 8/5/2013 at 2:27 PM, malie said:

The exact same thing happened to me during my Whole30 (I'm on bc too), and that "extra" period lasted 18 days! Worst. I went to my doc for some tests and she found nothing wrong. I'm sure it was the diet changes. My next, most recent, period was a bit irregular but nothing compared to that 18-day one. Seems to be evening out now. :)

I am also in the same boat despite being on the pill, and thought it might just be me.  I finished my period before starting Whole30, but here we are a week and a day later and I am having a more intense period.  I remember this happening the first time I did Whole30 and thought it was a fluke, but clearly my uterus does not prefer the shock of Whole30.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I haven't been able to find anything on this so I'm going to ask here...

I am on the pill and not due for my period for 1 more week. I am R1D8 whole 30 and have been having bleeding for about 5 days. Not really heavy but enough. Could this be due to changes in hormones from whole30? I don't usually bleed between periods. Still been taking my pill. 

• Administrators

Take a look through the Ladies Only section of the forum, there are several (read: A LOT!) of threads about being early or late, spotting, on the pill, not on the pill etc. Many, many women have shared their experiences there, you're sure to find a wealth of testimonies. That said, yes, normally irregular bleeding during one's first Whole30 is common but as we are not medical professionals we must tell you to seek out professional help if you are at all concerned. No one here is medically trained.

• 2 weeks later...

I just started a few days ago with the Whole30 and I just got my period which is two weeks early. I am never early, never late and regular as clock work. One of the reasons I decided to do this was because of hormone issues.. so this was like wtf!!! Two periods in one month.. not cool.. so not cool..lol

• 2 weeks later...

This is a really great thread. Just wanted to share my success story...

I did a Whole30 in an attempt to balance my hormones and help my PCOS. Whole30 seems to have (temporarily) fixed my hormones and my period. I'm on day 25 of Whole30. I don't take the pill, and I tend to have very long menstrual cycles with lots of nasty PMS-y symptoms. Before this, I was eating lots of Whole30 foods, but also a lot of other things too. Often, my menstrual cycles were anywhere between 40 and 55 days, and I couldn't always identify if I ovulated, which worried me because I hope to become pregnant sometime in the next year. Well...I just got my period today - this cycle was 35 days! I still had a few irritable moments and a little bloating but overall less PMS symptoms.  I was also able to clearly identify when I ovulated. I can definitely vouch for the Whole30 when it comes to balancing hormones.

I don't use a scale and I don't know how much I weigh, but I tend to gain weight in my torso. It seems like some of it shifted to my thighs and backside...my pants are a bit looser in the waist and tighter in the butt. Lifting weights 3x per week may have contributed to this, too. 

So now I know how to make my periods regular, but I'm not sure if they will stay this way. I am preparing for reintroduction, but I feel a little anxious about it. I hope I will eventually learn which types of foods are throwing my hormones out of balance, but this could take some time. I mostly avoid sugar, but I love dairy products and everything with gluten, especially pizza, oh and wine too!

Anyway, I just wanted to share because I never thought I could balance my hormones myself through these simple changes. Wishing you all a happy period. Hang in there. :) 

• 5 weeks later...

Is it normal for my period to be super light? It came around the usual/expected time and all of my PMS symptoms are normal but all it's been for the past few days is a teeny tiny bit of spotting, whereas I normally have very heavy periods (especially on the first few days). I'm on day 11 of the Whole30, and I feel pretty fine otherwise. When I searched the forum I couldn't find anyone else who had a similar experience, though, so just hoping someone might know if this is okay? I also don't take birth control (or any medications actually), and I haven't changed anything about my routine other than my diet.

• Moderators

Changes in menstrual cycle can happen as your hormones balance out.  There are loads of people on the forum with the same experience.  Try googling 'whole30 menstrual changes' 'whole30 light period'. We can't tell you definitively that this is 'okay' tho as we are not doctors and we don't know your personal history so if you're at all concerned, off to the doctor.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, first off, kudos to everyone doing this! I'm on day 22 and the cravings for chocolate are kicking my butt!

Anyways, wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this... I started my whole 30 on day 3 of my cycle, it stopped on day 2 of whole 30, and things were just fine. Mind you, I'm on the pill. On day 6 of my whole 30, I got a new cycle. Just a bit of spotting at first, but then super heavy, and I've been spotting now since then, and I'm on day 22, so now I'm on ten days of my period. Which is super abnormal for me, since I'm on the pill and usually regular, and since this is my second cycle in 3 weeks.

I've also lost 14 pounds in this time, and I went cold turkey into this whole 30, but haven't we all?

Does anyone have any thoughts about this? 

• Like 1
On 7/11/2017 at 10:13 PM, BeccaClaire said:

Hi all, first off, kudos to everyone doing this! I'm on day 22 and the cravings for chocolate are kicking my butt!

Anyways, wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this... I started my whole 30 on day 3 of my cycle, it stopped on day 2 of whole 30, and things were just fine. Mind you, I'm on the pill. On day 6 of my whole 30, I got a new cycle. Just a bit of spotting at first, but then super heavy, and I've been spotting now since then, and I'm on day 22, so now I'm on ten days of my period. Which is super abnormal for me, since I'm on the pill and usually regular, and since this is my second cycle in 3 weeks.

I've also lost 14 pounds in this time, and I went cold turkey into this whole 30, but haven't we all?

Does anyone have any thoughts about this? 

I'm on day 9 and while at work noticed I felt the "period back ache" start to come on. It was so mild I figured ibwas just overtired, and I'm not supposed to start till next Wed anyway. Then I realized I am also spotting. I checked my birth control pills because I thought I hallucinated and was really on period week. Nope. I'm coming a week early. 

I have not a clue what this is about, which is how I ended up searching the topic. I am glad we're not alone...so that tells me it's a "thing".

I'll be visiting a Dr of Naturopath next week and I'll be sure to find out WTF. LOL 

• 3 weeks later...

I too have experienced a difference. I have the 10 year IUD and am 5 years into and have been able to pin point roughly the time I am going to get my period, cramps became awful on the IUD, but my period only lasted for 3 days. It's great! I'm only two weeks into Whole30 and I noticed a change in my period instantly. The cramps went from being awful and lasting only one day to magnified and lasting several days. On top of that, my period lasted almost 5 days instead of 3. But the silver lining, my PMS crabbiness before the devils week, was mild... comparatively speaking.  We will see what the next cycle brings.... :/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm having a bit of a hard time. I've been on birth control for about a year, and in the past year on the pill my periods have been very light and cramps very minimal. I am on Day 21 and got my period a couple of days ago, and it's been super heavy and I've had painful cramps. I'm also feeling super tired and moody. In fact, I've been tired and not really sleeping great pretty much the whole time - nothing even close to ~Tiger Blood~. I'm wondering if this has all been more trouble than it's worth and if anyone else has felt the same. 

(P.S. Taking Advil better not count as cheating...) 

I just finished my second whole30 and am 4 days late. I had no changes in my cycle when I did my first round in January. The most concerning part is that it doesn't look like I have ovulated this month. I have been charting my temperatures and it looks like my body tried to ovulate 3 times unsuccessfully.  I have never had this happen and have searched all over this forum and have not found much info. It doesn't seem like many people chart, so they might not even notice it if it was happening. 

Has anyone else experienced this? I am not on birth control and had been eating mostly paleo with some dairy (butter and some cheese) before this whole30, so it doesn't seem like a drastic change. And I only lost 3 lbs, so I don't think it's a low weight. I am definitely not underweight! 

This is kind of putting a damper on my whole 30 experience if I'm honest.