percypat's post whole 30 - let's doooooooo it!

percypat

LOL about kidnapping a trained booch assistant!  It would be easier that way.  No diapers or all night cry fests.  :D

Mine does have an apron, it has little chef dogs on it - very cute!  Unfortunately, the chef hat doesn't fit over his devil horns! :ph34r:

Just caught your last post - I'm SO SORRY that man was such a jerk!  I agree with your husband's thoughts.  Your mental health day sounds perfect!  Hugs!

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sophie, that person sounds wretched! What an ass. I wish you had your turkey leg with you so that you could have chased him around the room waving your turkey leg, all the while yelling at him to quit being an ass and treat you with the respect you deserve. Why people feel Powerful pulling that crap is beyond me. Don't they realize how stupid they actually look? Isn't a lovely massage or a pedi required to get over this? Hang tough. There's a lot of idiots wandering around out there. I'm sorry you weren't able to get more helpful comments and direction.

Hugs hugs hugs!

Well you know what your kidnapped booch assistant would do? Jump & down and yell at him "YOU BIG MEANIE!!!!"

9 weeks of summer break  :wacko:  - you might find a strangely shaped parcel arriving on your doorstep ;)

I love the image of you chasing the asshat around with a turkey leg! Or whip him with a wet zoodle!  ;)

I envy your ability to go to sleep when you are upset. Usually when I'm upset that is when I absolutely can not fall asleep. My busy mind has to work itself up into a frenzy. Good on you for not using the incident as an excuse to dive head first into a bowl of ice cream.

Enjoy your mental health day and come back stronger!

Calee, this is some really hilarious scene, I can't stop laughing. 

Sophie, this sounds exactly like defense of my thesis, I hear you, poor girl. Send this faculty show off a scoby in the jar. Freak the dude out! He seems to really really lack excitement in his life, if he feels comfortable doing such things to boost his own ego. Well, I am sure that your work scientific value, otherwise no one would accept your application. So good that you have your hubby as a support. Btw - he is totally right, professors should have interfered. It's all over now  :wub:

Thanks for all your lovely words ladies!  I'm still a bit teary when I think about it, but much much better.  Have had another couple of emails  from people present at the presentation so I think people are feeling a bit guilty that one person was allowed to rip into me like that.

I'm just so cross that I'm now that girl who couldn't hack some criticism at her presentation and will probably be forever remembered as such!

But I emailed my supervisor and said today is a mental health day, and to let me know when she can see me next and then it's business as usual.  I'm having a nice day so far: had a sleep in, then breakfast and spent ages looking through reddit (guilty pleasure!).  Then I felt a bit sick so went back to bed for an hour (good strategy huh?), and then felt much better and went out for a walk, doing flyer drops for my Zumba class.

I've just had lunch (scrambles and broccoli - so boring and yet so tasty!) and next I think I'll pop out and get some more berries and whatnot for my booch bottling.  

Calee, I did think about getting a pedi but I've decided to save that to do with a friend.  We don't have many friends in Perth and I've just realised during the last few days that I really miss having a girlfriend to hang out with.  Hubby and I have the best relationship but sometimes girls just have to hang out with girls, you know?  So I'll get in touch with the one good female buddy I have here (we live miles away from each other so don't see each other much at all) and see if she wants to go off and do that sometime, no boys allowed. Thanks for the idea!  And I love the turkey leg attack, I think set to this music, yes? ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MK6TXMsvgQg

Derval, I'm waiting for my Lily package!  I have all this booch for her to help me with!

Hahaha, the music is perfect. I'm sitting here smiling at 6am. I'm glad you received those emails and got support. Don't be silly, you are far to fab to be remembered as the girl that couldn't tke the heat. I'd say far more likely to be the girl that isn't in jail for bodily assault with a turkey leg.

I'm glad you took a mental health day for yourself. It must be tough not having good girlfriends there to pal around with. I would miss it too. Right now I have plenty of great girlfriends and I'm missing having a guy partner. Maybe J will turn into that. Cautiously optimistic.

We need color pic of that pedi you're planning.

Hubby and I have been so transient these past 3.5 years (Australia - NZ - France - NZ - other side of Australia) that I'm really used to it being him and me, but the girlfriends I used to communicate with a lot via email have become a lot busier in their lives and haven't written for ages so I guess I'm feeling it more.  My sister and I used to skype and talk for hours but now that she has a little one, chats tend to get cut short.  And I understand completely - I just figure that's why I'm suddenly lonely for the first time in ages for a girlfriend to hang out with properly.  I guess we should make more of an effort to make friends out here!

When does J get back?  I hope things go well and you both continue to really enjoy each other :)

Oh yeah, when it happens, there'll be photographic documentation for sure :D

In the meantime, here's the latest booch batch:

IMG_20130626_210413_zps840d447f.jpg

Flavouring fun!  We've got boysenberry, raspberry, mint and lime, cherry, cherry vanilla and strawberry.

Will check white tea girl SCOBY batch on Sunday.  Frank is still hanging out in his SCOBY hotel, appears to be bulking up a bit but is tiny compared to his mutant progeny.

Sophie, I'd really miss my girlfriends too. Mine are all really special to me.

J comes home on the 7th. Probably won't see him for a few days because his dog won't let him leav the house, not to mention his work. He's been texting all the time so it doesn't feel that much different than when he's here. He lives an hour away so it takes a bit of planning to get together.

Your Booch is beautiful. Is your husband ale to drink it again?

Well he's obviously thinking about you a lot!  That's sweet :)

Hubby is drinking small amounts, not everyday, but he'll have a glass from time to time or a slurp out of mine.  He's coming to terms with the disgustingness, though I did accidentally (and it really was an accident) let the gigantic "baby" brush his hand last night when I was transferring it into the bowl he was holding out for me, and he was not at all impressed.

The lime and mint "mojito" bottles were his idea so he'll be keen to try those.  He likes the berry ones too.

Some good news for me this morning: my blood test from last week has come back and my thyroid is back in the normal range.  I had a bit too much of the hormone the brain makes to stimulate it last time and doctor said I had borderline hypothyroidism, but it seems to have straightened itself out over the last three months.  So happy!  And blood pressure is still only 110/80 even with the immuno suppressants.  Nice one body!  I'm so used to being so angry at it because of my eczema that it's awesome to see it doing things right.

YAY! Definitely celebrate when your body does these wonderful things for you! I'm so happy your labs came back great. Any idea how long you will be on these drugs? Is there a come off period to see how you do? Or is this a lifetime situation?

So funny about hubby and SCOBY, I love lime in booch. My fav. Mix it with grapefruit and I'm in heaven. I think I'll have that this morning.

I'm seeing the dermatologist again Monday morning so I'll see what he thinks.  My GP father keeps telling me not to let him keep me on the meds for too long as they are pretty heavy duty, but my bloods keep coming back good - no stress on my kidneys or liver - blood pressure is still low, and I don't have any noticeable side effects.  So I'm not too sure what the long term game plan is!  

Hubby reckons my thyroid issues are part of my auto-immunity and the meds are helping.  Everything is pointing to me giving AIP a go I think!  Wonder if it's worth doing before I come of the meds?  Or better to wait so I know the drugs aren't masking all the reactions and improvements?

This week is not my week.  Hubby bought me the new white Nexus 4 (google phone) a couple of weeks ago.  I dropped it this evening as I was juggling my bag and keys when opening the front door and cracked the screen.  Phone is still working, but useless as the touch screen doesn't work anymore.  I was feeling flat already (was expecting skype call from family which didn't come, and I'm not angry as I know something must have come up - mum has flown up to see my sister and celebrate my nephew's first birthday and they were going to call so I could say happy birthday with them all together - but I was just really really looking forward to that call.  Feeling very isolated) and with the dramas earlier in the week, I just lost it.  I cried like the world was ending, heaving, hysterical sobs.  Hubby was torn between bemusement at my ridiculous reaction and trying to make me feel better.  To his credit, he did not tell me off for dropping the phone and has promised to take it into town tomorrow and see if we can get the screen replaced.

I kind of want to just tag out from this week and tag back in on Monday but I'm seeing my supervisor tomorrow so will have to suck it up and be a big girl.  

The good news is, I'm still doing ok on the food front. Meals to template, keeping the starchy carbs lower as I intended.  So I guess I should be pleased that I'm holding onto some good habits even when the whole world makes me cry!

Dearie me, this is not so much a log now as a diary ...  Sorry about all the unrelated emotional crap.  Hopefully we get it all out of the way this week and I stop being such a delicate, over-sensitive cry baby!

Congratulations on those good numbers at the doctor. Sorry you are having such a weepy week though. Cracked screen on the phone is no bueno. Do you have a case for it? Hope you make it through the rest of today and can have a nice healing relaxing weekend.

Thanks Bethany :)  When hubs bought me that phone I actually said I needed a case and he said "naaaah, you don't".  He thinks getting a case to keep the phone looking "nice" is unnecessary - you're going to use it, it will get scratched and whatnot and it doesn't matter.  In 2-3 years technology will have moved forward again and you'll probably want a new one anyway.

Last night he said "You were right.  We'll get you a case."

Yeah, looking forward to getting my meeting out of the way today and then relaxing.  My supervisor is lovely and I know she'll be gentle with me after seeing me get savaged on Tuesday!

Oy vey, you deserve a big cry, or several. You've had such a crap week. I'm so sorry you didn't get your family call. Feeling isolated and weepy at the same time sux.

At least hubby said you were right about the case. My iPhone once slipped into the toilet. I was running out the door to the airport on Christmas eve. I got stranded in a snow fall on Christmas eve waiting for a flight out on a prop plane. I had all phone numbers in the phone so couldn't call my friends to say my flight was delayed due to no pilot. I ended up having dinner in the airport with a woman and her two kids that were in the same row as me on the first flight. Thankfully my Japanese was good as they spoke little English.

How did it go with your supervisor? Or is that today?

It must be difficult for your dad to watch someone else doctor you. Hard to say about AIP. You could get used to it now while on meds and see how you do. I would probably do another round with you.

Hang onto that template. Feeing emotional probably isn't a good time to off road. Sounds like a slippery slope.

Aw, thanks calee :)  You do make me feel better.  Meeting went fine, we decided I need to strengthen my methodology but apart from that, everything else is there.  Meeting with another staff member next week who knows a lot about this area and said he is keen to help me.  It's going to be alright!

And I talked to my sister this afternoon, will have another chat tomorrow when brother and mum are all there as well.  Looking forward to that!  

Phone mishaps are so bad.  We've got so used to having phones that it's such a crisis when they break.  The only phone number I know off by heart (bar my own) is my Dad's and that's because it's the phone number I grew up with.  We don't even have a landline at our place - no need with our mobile plans.  

As for AIP, I might start learning how to manage without eggs, tomatoes and peppers.  Can the template be found on the site or is it just in the book?  Maybe I can work on adjusting my repertoire and be all ready for full blown AIP when I do eventually come off these meds. 

Ah.  Maybe I will have to invest.  I'm certainly not on low low carbs, just trying to put less sweet potato and pumpkin in my face!  But something to keep in mind for sure!

Hubs came home with my phone all fixed and a bright pink cover on it.  He's so lovely.

I think the weekend will be fine.  Feeling heaps better now :)

I'm glad you got to talk to your sister. Hubby is indeed awesome!

I decided to not eat LW carb, but to have about 6 oz of sweet potato and some fruit each day to fuel me. I think it really helps my sleep which has improved greatly. Maybe when the summer fruit leaves I'll each less and my set point weight will drop a pound or two. I've gone way too many fruitless summers in the last 25 years.

AIP is in the book and I think Paleomom has a lot if good info on her website.

Have a fun weekend!

Ooh thanks for that calee, I just checked her site out and read what she says about eczema.  She says new research says it's more about leaky skin than auto-immune issues, but the fact that the immuno-suppressants work so well on me just SCREAMS auto-immunity, doesn't it?  So I guess I really ought to give it a go!

I think for now I'll work on learning out to tweak my fav recipes and old faithfuls, and slowly get rid of some of the no-nos.  Will try and find out if dermatologist has a time frame in mind on Monday.

Hope you have a good one too!

Yay for pink phone cases and investigating how to get off medicines! I would tend to agree with Calee that if you are finding your moods to be a little hard to control you might be too low carb. Hormone balancing is such hard work. Dang it all!  ;)

Any fun plans for the weekend?

What are you talking about? We love unrelated emotional crap, who wants to read a menu :D No offense if you have a menu log out there people  :ph34r: Jokes aside, I know what it is like to have all friends far/overseas. I think log is a great tool to learn lots about yourself. Plus sometimes you have to share third world problems like not enough fizz. Read it in half year, you might be surprised. 

Glad that you get to collaborate with gentle and sane people while writing your thesis. No more jerks until the work is done, I hope. Are we all getting signed copies after you're done? hehe.  

Rob Wolf has AIP related articles too, Practical Paleo (and her website Balanced Bites) and Kris Kresser too I believe (at least about skin conditions). Plus their podcasts, you can really benefit from them me thinks. Maybe even submit a question about meds/AIP first. Paleo Mom is the best for sure. AIP is more than doable, though it can be frustrating at times. I thought I will never give up eggs or coffee or cocoa or spices. What? Paprika has to go?! That's when you start to appreciate simple food and understand using herbs. Not that I am totally 100% compliant now, slips happen, but it's just falls under category "this is what I do" now. Good luck and feel free to ask me stuff as I've been with this protocol for a while. I can surely share websites with AIP compliant recipes. 

Hooray for new phone. Your hubby is a real trooper.  

Since I have problems with cocoa and coffee etc I think it's more about leaky gut for me perhaps gluten cross reactivity . These fragments get into the bloodstream and cause a reaction which would be suppressed by your meds so I don't think you can say either way... Leaky gut does have to be triggered by something but whether its AIP and what in particular is really tricky

Archived