percypat's post whole 30 - let's doooooooo it!

percypat

We're going to an exhibition at the art gallery tomorrow!  Have to finish housework and do some more reading tonight so I don't feel guilty!

It's complicated isn't it Justine ...  I guess I'll work on setting myself up for AIP and depending on when I come off them, just give it a go.  If I'm going to be on them for quite a bit longer, I might just give it a try instead of waiting to finish.  I still get a touch a bit of eczema breaking through so might be worth seeing if I could make that stop.  Anyway, how have you been?

Danger danger, husband made tablet again.  Buttery, condensed milk, sugar concoction.  

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And I was just thinking how lucky you were that the tablet was gone during this vulnerable week. Dang him!

That's great about the museum tomorrow. I like doing that.

I'm going to get things done today so that I can have an outing with a girlfriend tomorrow. I'm going to make Chocolate Chili. Tomatoes and beef. Should be interesting. I've missed chili when on AIP!

Wow, I just figured out that you're 15 hours ahead of California. Our times are more than flipped.

Have fun tomorrow!

I haven't made that yet!  I wonder if I should give it a try while I can ...  Or will I then be miserable that I can't have it when I do try AIP?

Hubby has promised to take some of the tablet to work this time.  Thank goodness.  I can't stop eating the stuff.  Condensed milk is one of the most comforting tastes in the world for me: when I was little, Mum would sometimes let us have a drizzle of it on white bread.  I know how terrible that sounds, but they use condensed milk a lot in Malaysia and the bread treat was the one she grew up with she was little.

Tried gem squash last night and liked it.  I was scraping it out of the rind with a fork and it did what I imagined spaghetti squash does.  Hubby found the same thing.  Since I can't find spaghetti squash, I'm going to start making pasta sauce and serve it in little gem squash bowls :)

Ooh. I boiled the whole can once. And then ate it. All of it. So sweet but so good. I was so into using half and half in my coffee I liked to have a can of it in the pantry for emergencies. Mmmm. I don't usually sweeten my coffee but condensed milk in coffee is so good. There is a Thai place around the corner that sells iced coffees with condensed milk and that's just too delicious.

I was thinking condensed milk is used in Tres Leches (reminded by your bread treat) but wanted to check and found this piece all about condensed milk: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/03/dining/03milk.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Gah! Tapatalk just deleted a whole long post about phones and auto immune.

Briefly: Piece in NYT said out feeling for our devices isn't addiction, but like love--based on brain imaging.

Husband mandates cases for me. (Not for himself, but I'm terrible with all forms of stuff.) Mine fell in a clean (for a toilet) toilet, saved it in bag of silica gel packets. Good to have on hand. Much better than rice. Week later daughter swooshed a not clean toilet with with phone, stirring it like a soup. (Son can't flush our old toilet.)

Are your immune suppressants steroids? My husband has an auto-immune disease and had to take large doses of steroids for along period. Those things will F you up! Could also explain tearfulness. Steroids will bring out your dark side. Like the Hull or Dr. Jekyll. Whatever character flaws you have will be multiplied.

I definitely have to watch my carbs re mood. It's hot so I don't want carby veg, but I have to force myself to eat carby stuff or my mood takes a nose dive.

Not so brief after all.

That was a good read, thanks Beets :)  They even mentioned bread and condensed milk in Taiwan! 

I made a chai concentrate once, basically mixing the stuff with spices and keeping it in the fridge.  The idea was you just brewed a cup of black tea and then put a dollop of the concentrate in for instant chai goodness.  I just ended up eating most of the concentrate  :mellow:

My mum never did the boiling can thing, but my sister and I tried it once.  *drool*

The immuno suppressants I'm on aren't steroids, rather than reducing inflammation, they reduce the activity level of my T-cells.  I've taken prednisone before but not for long periods of time.  Thank goodness too, two weeks was long enough to make me get angry really quickly!

When I was a child, I went to the home of a friend who's mum put condensed milk on berries. I wanted to go everyday. I haven't had it as an adult so perhaps should not try it if it's really that yummy. I've never boiled it. Now I feel left out. How did I miss it?

Did I miss the museum review while drooling over sweets?

Ahah if Tom finds this log we are all out, drooling over condenced milk. Once I got home and found Mom crying on the floor of the kitchen. The can blew up while boiling and it all stuck to the ceiling and walls. That stuff is crack with no breaks, true story. It would probably taste awful now and the memory is enough.

Ahah if Tom finds this log we are all out, drooling over condenced milk. Once I got home and found Mom crying on the floor of the kitchen. The can blew up while boiling and it all stuck to the ceiling and walls. That stuff is crack with no breaks, true story. It would probably taste awful now and the memory is enough.

I know I shouldn't laugh, but I can't stop laughing at the sticky mess all over the kitchen. I can jut imagine mum sitting on h floor crying. Haven't we all had our moments?

Oh, hubby started feeling yucky at lunchtime yesterday and has been laid low with headache and body achey-ness since!  Think he must have picked up a virus or something.  So we didn't go.  The exhibition is running for ages so we'll go another time :)

Oh Nadia, your poor Mummy.  The idea of the exploded can makes me chuckle too (as long as it's in someone else's kitchen) and I can totally relate to sitting on the floor crying.  That's been my week!

Saw dermatologist this morning and he was indignant AGAIN at the stubbornness of my eczema.  It's a million times better than before so I'm not complaining but he was positive that my hefty dose of ciclosporin would clear up things up well and truly.  My immune system begs to differ.  He doesn't want to put my dose up any further, so we're going to try for another 8 weeks and if it doesn't clear me up properly, we'll look at switching to a different immuno suppressant which is better for long-term use.  He doesn't want me on them long-term but he wants to get me completely clear so we have a good base to work off when we start trying less aggressive treatments.  

That's fine.  I'm really happy with the level of care I'm getting at the moment and I feel like he is really interested in helping me with this. The eczema I'm getting at the moment is easy to contain and compared to what I was going through before, it's a walk in the park.

I weighed myself this morning and I've put on 1.6 kilos since I started my W 30 (about 3 pounds).  I mentioned this to the dermatologist and how I can't let myself get too hungry or I feel funny (it's been that way since I started the meds) and he said it's most likely the drugs.  So I feel a bit better about that too.  My overall food intake is just higher.  But I don't want it to keep going that way so what with it being the first of the month and all, I'm going to try and lay down a really good, clean July.  No more *beep*ing tablet, thank you very much husband!

I'm making baked bitter melon chips tonight!  I have no idea how they're going to turn out, I'll be back later with a yay or nay :)

• Moderators

I've only made bitter melon in curries. Definitely an acquired taste, but so good for us!

I'm so sorry about your eczema struggles. I am SO impressed with your attitude, though, and I hope it continues to clear. I can imagine what a relief it is to have a reason why you've gained some weight, too. You have to feel good about the fact that if you'd be hungrier and eating more anyway, this way you're eating really good and nourishing stuff.

I've only made bitter melon in curries. Definitely an acquired taste, but so good for us!

I'm so sorry about your eczema struggles. I am SO impressed with your attitude, though, and I hope it continues to clear. I can imagine what a relief it is to have a reason why you've gained some weight, too. You have to feel good about the fact that if you'd be hungrier and eating more anyway, this way you're eating really good and nourishing stuff.

That's one of the reasons I was so hell-bent on cooking it: so much goodness in these babies!  Verdict: hubby thought it was revolting. I kind of grimaced when I ate my first one, but found myself going back for more.  Will persevere: maybe try putting it in curry!

And thank you  :wub:   Compared to what I went through with it earlier this year (and other times throughout the years), I'm really doing ok at the moment.  It's controllable and that is huge.  I was talking to my GP about it and saying how I was afraid about coming off the drugs because my eczema will come back full-force and she said it wouldn't necessarily be the case.  She said cells have memory and it's possible mine just couldn't remember what normal was anymore, that that horrible inflamed state was all they knew how to do.  Hopefully this will reset things and we'll find other ways to keep my skin calmer!

And you're absolutely right: I might have been overfeeding myself, but the quality of the feed is pretty bloody good!  I'm really chuffed thinking about that.  I'll be reminding myself of it next time I want to dig into hubs' sweet stash :)

Sophie, I'm so glad you're feeling well taken care of.

Sorry you missed the museum. Maybe tablet is making him sick. Would be nice if he quit making it! Horrible tempter. ;)

I'm laying down an uber clean July as well. I just wrote about it in my log. Maybe we need a clean July group. No nuts, no snacking. Cleaner template. I want a few pounds gone yesterday.

Sorry about the phone and the museum.  I just got a new phone, too. And I need a case.  These new phones are so sleek and slippery they are easy to drop. 

You do have a great attitude about your excema.  I'm glad that it feels controlled right now and that the dr is indignant that it's not perfect.  You can feel calm and in a good place and the dr can keep looking for a way to make it even better!

I'm in for Clean July!!!!!  I need it, too.

That's a great idea ladies!  Everyone can set out their own parameters for their clean July but provide solidarity for each other.  Our own version of a dry July :)

Get a case Jen!  Or at least put the phone in your bag or pocket whenever you're trying to unlock the door.  

Tried my bitter melon chips this morning and I like them more now.  I don't know if they got less bitter overnight or if my tastebuds relented, but I'm happy!  Now I'm thinking I'll make these again!

That's a great idea ladies!  Everyone can set out their own parameters for their clean July but provide solidarity for each other.  Our own version of a dry July :)

!

I'm in! Clean July! Shall we start a July thread? Fluffers Union? * evil grin*

Post Whole 30?  New Whole 30ers have their hands full just staying compliant ...  while anyone can jump in, I imagine the idea of eating clean would strike more of a chord with those of us who aren't doing one, or are trying to tweak things to suit.

I don't mind though :)

PS: having a good one today.  Happy with my meals.  Had a couple of teaspoons of coconut butter before Zumba, but it was the end of the jar and I won't be making anymore.

I'm doing the unthinkable this week and checking my weight each morning.  *shock horror*  I want to see what happens over the course of a week when I'm being really careful.  Knowing that I'll step on the scale in the morning is a very good incentive to not snack, or start eyeing up hubby's big container of tablet.  It doesn't affect my meals though: I still happily eat my palm sized serving of protein and my dollop of fat.  And my pile of veggies (but that goes without saying).  If I see good results across this week, I believe that will give me the motivation I need to stay to template, to not snack, to not start reaching for fruit just because I want something sweet.  I don't want to blame my weight gain on my medication.  I know, deep down, that I treat myself with compliant food too much and that's why I don't get the results I want.

Also, my lovely in-laws sent over some of our extra clothes which we weren't able to bring and my favourite Zumba pants were in the package.  They're too small.  I LOVE those pants.  (White with black pockets and BRIGHT PINK TASSELS).  I have to wear them again. My boobs are too big for my old Zumba tank tops.  I used to shimmy my shoulders and shake my butt like a beast, now I can feel everything wobbling around and I hold back.  Not ok guys.  This fluffiness has got to go!

Glad you're having a good day!  Stay away from the tablet!  The zumba outfits will be a good motivator to clean up this month!

Case ordered!  Definitely necessary.  Don't want my super spendy GS4 to break!  I can't believe a year ago I was fighting the idea of a smart phone and now I have one of the fanciest ones out there.  Hah!  Poor hubby is still mourning his ancient phone, but I think he's starting to see the benefits of taking over my old smart phone. 

I agree - Clean July should be in the post W30 area - here.  Because it's not a W30.  It's more about cleaning up our personal weak areas. 

Sophie, I hope your dr is right about the T cells. Having faith in your dr is one of the best feelings--feels almost as good as being healed. Maybe better. Especially since, at least here in the US, it's so hard to find a dr that will take any time at all to really get involved in your situation beyond going through the same old checklist.

Archived