July 1 Start Date - Who's with Me?!

mamaxt

Today is Day 1 for my 1st Whole 30.

Breakfast was 2 eggs fried in coconut oil, a homemade sausage pattie, and some cooked cabbage

Lunch will be a salad with homemade avocado mayo

Dinner will be talapia and a baked sweet potato

So far I have 2 weeks worth of meals planned. I am hoping that keeps me on the right path. Snacks, if needed, will be fresh berries or nuts.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, it's absolutely ok not to have all grass-fed meats. But you should shoot for the leanest cut of meat possible and/or trim off all visible fat. Toxins and chemical nasties end up in fat deposits of conventional meats. So, while they are just fine, know that you want to avoid fatty cuts that can't be trimmed.

Thanks for the clarification. I'll have to switch off the paleo mindset "fat is good for you" and buy lean cuts! 

Today is off to a good start though! I had my breakfast with some uncured bacon and hard boiled eggs and some cucumber sticks and tuna salad for lunch, with an orange as dessert. I never used to like oranges - its so weird!

Today is Day 1 for my 1st Whole 30.

Breakfast was 2 eggs fried in coconut oil, a homemade sausage pattie, and some cooked cabbage

Lunch will be a salad with homemade avocado mayo

Dinner will be talapia and a baked sweet potato

So far I have 2 weeks worth of meals planned. I am hoping that keeps me on the right path. Snacks, if needed, will be fresh berries or nuts.

I totally agree meal planning is the way to go! I have 3 weeks already planned out. I'm just kinda bummed my hubby isn't joining me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Your snacks, if needed, should be a mini-meal, including a protein and fat. You want to avoid eating only fruit or only nuts for snacks.

Enjoy your 1-2 servings of fruit per day (serving = size of your fist) as part of your meals, or immediately after one of your meals.

Hi Everyone! Today is Day one of my first Whole30! I have been eating paleo since May. I have slipped here and there and still struggle with sugar. I am looking forward to the next 30 days!

My food so far:

Breakfast: Sweet Potato and apple hash with chicken sausage, onions and eggs cookied in coconut oil

Lunch: Grilled Chicken Breast, steamed broccoli and cauliflower and one hard boiled egg

Dinner (will be): Baked tilapia and sauteed veggies

I brought a snack of blueberries and almonds if I need it. I am going to be working of cutting snacks too during the next 30 days. I

Thanks for the clarification. I'll have to switch off the paleo mindset "fat is good for you" and buy lean cuts! 

Today is off to a good start though! I had my breakfast with some uncured bacon and hard boiled eggs and some cucumber sticks and tuna salad for lunch, with an orange as dessert. I never used to like oranges - its so weird!

Fat is good for you, just not the kind of fat attached to cuts of meat. :-) Bring on the olives and avocado!! 

I, too, started my Day 1 today. Been researching, preparing, and figuring this out for a couple of months. I'm a teacher so I wanted to start July 1 so I'd have a whole month that I'm off from school to begin new routines of a Cook Up day and food prep, etc. Plus I've been working compliant recipes into our rotation to get my husband used to the idea a little at a time. (he's not offically doing a whole30).

The cookbook Well Fed made this all less overwhelming. I recommend it for her strategy of the cook-up day and weeknight hot plates and cold salads. All her recipes have many versions, so there are so many options. Really worth the price of the book!

My July will bring an extended family vacation to the beach, my parents in town for 2-3 weeks, and lots of time for me to chase my toddler in between thinking so much about food.

Hooray for the first day of the the rest of our lives!

I'm happy to report that I made it through my lunch meeting compliant! We went to a place famous for it's pasta bar (what?? pasta, you say?). It turns out they have really good proteins and salad fixins' available on the buffet. So I had a heaping portion of romaine salad topped with mushrooms, black olives, hard-boiled eggs, tomatoes and grilled chicken with a side of steamed zucchini. Yums!! 

How has everyone else's lunch/dinner hour gone today?

I totally agree meal planning is the way to go! I have 3 weeks already planned out. I'm just kinda bummed my hubby isn't joining me.

My hubby really isn't either, though I always make dinner so he will be eating what I make! I will be adding white rice and gluten-free pasta to some of his meals, but we have already discussed what I will be eating and he doesn't want me making him a separate dinner. Oh, he still will be eating dessert too- the freezer is stocked with his favorite- homemade lemon ice cream!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Your snacks, if needed, should be a mini-meal, including a protein and fat. You want to avoid eating only fruit or only nuts for snacks.

Enjoy your 1-2 servings of fruit per day (serving = size of your fist) as part of your meals, or immediately after one of your meals.

Thanks for the clarification Chris.

So, I'm going back to the egg white protein question. What Tom said is all totally correct. We don't encourage shakes or smoothies, and we don't want you to drink your meals. And 99% of the egg protein on the market contains off-plan ingredients like sweeteners or soy lecithin, which means it's off-limits by default.

You could, however, use a 100% egg white protein powder on your Whole30. We don't encourage it, plus this stuff is hard to find, and it tastes like junk. But it would be technically approved. I've used it mixed with sweet potato and coconut milk while on the road. Again, it doesn't taste very good, but that's the price you pay for being lazy. ;)

Hope this helps.

Melissa

Lunch was a success -- even eating out.  Went to Sweet Tomatoes and made myself a huge salad of lettuce, spinach, zucchini, carrots, hard boiled egg, squash, onions, etc and topped it with vinegar and olive oil.  I did have a sweet potato as well.  it was yummy and satisfying.  

Yay, Charissa! That's great. Two meals down, one to go! 

What's everyone having for dinner? I made pork chops last night and have two leftover in the fridge. I might use them to whip up a stir fry this evening after T-Ball.  :rolleyes:

Meal 1 for me today was a whole red pepper and a big handful of mushrooms sauteed in ghee mixed with eggs. I just got up (night shift) so I'm planning meal 2/husband's dinner, which will be Eating for Idiots' meatloaf and mashed cauliflower. I may cook up another vegetable to have later along with a piece of the meatloaf. 

One of the challenges for me is eating three meals, at all. Two and a half years of four to midnight shift and then a change to midnights along with coordinating dinner for a husband who works a weird shift somewhere in the middle of all that has gotten me in the habit of only eating two meals. I think I may make a batch of sweet potato hash and take portions of it to work along with whatever protein I made for dinner. We have a full kitchen at work so I'm also thinking it wouldn't be a bad idea to keep a carton of eggs and a couple bags of frozen vegetables there so I'm always prepared.

In the middle of day 3 here. I spent a fortune yesterday on food and my fridge looks bare already! I might be sorry I invited my husband along on the journey, he has very big palms :D

What is the motivation for you all on this journey? For me, I want to stop feeling like my food is in control of me. I do eat healthy meals but on a bad day it can go pear shaped and the foraging kicks in complete with an overwhelming sense of dissatisfaction.

I also want to once and for all kick my diet coke habit.

I hope that this journey helps improve my skin and chronic constipation

And if I lost 6lbs I'd fit into my clothes better :)

Hey guys, so today is my first official day on Whole30 :) I ate pretty badly yesterday as the last day of "freedom" (lol) so I have pretty low energy but have been on the plan so far today with...

Breakfast: a pear (not as much as it should be, I know, but was running late)

Lunch: grilled seasoned chicken and sauteed veggies - zucc, yellow squash, broccoli, onions

Dinner: fish and veggies

Good luck to everyone, I know we can do it! :D 

I'm in!  This is my first official Whole30.  I've been paleo-ish for a few years now but have found myself slacking off a bit too much the past several months or so and now find myself with a nagging shoulder issue and a bit depressed over watching my problem area (mid-section) grow more than I'd like.  My goal is to get rid of the shoulder issue while at the same time, getting rid of the mid-section and clearing up the negativity blossoming in my mind towards my body.  It's the first time since I started on my paleo journey that I've found myself not really appreciating and being happy with my body.  When I did my first strict paleo challenge a couple of years ago, I finally found the confidence and joy in my body that I had been looking for and finally saw the 'love handles' disappear.  The shoulder issue is interfering with my CrossFit activities and therefore adding to my problem with the build-up of negativity in my mind.  This Whole30 gives me a bit of hope that after 30 days, my shoulder and the love-handles will be a non-issue and neither will the negativity.  Time to take back control and tighten things up (the diet AND the body)! 

For supper I had leftover slow cooked pork with apples and onions with some mixed green pea, radish and mustard sprouts and Bubbies sauerkraut, a few prosciutto crisps (Nom Nom Paleo recipe) and some mixed nuts.

On the subject of giving things up, I am not consciously cutting out coffee for health reasons, but between the nausea from my back injury and the stomach sensitivity from the back injury medication, I haven't been able to have coffee for over a week and my usual daily intake is 2 cups of coffee and an espresso or an americano. Not sure how I'm managing to stay awake, but I guess maybe it's good to take a break from coffee.

Edited because no coffee makes me make typos

Newbie starting today too!

Day one was great! Like everyone else, I'm slightly concerned about the 4th, but there is sure to be grilled meat, and everyone in my family eats a lot of green salad so I should be golden!

I also posted on my fb page asking if anyone had done whole 30 or Paleo, and one friend replied that he's lost 60lbs since last August on paleo and another said he's basically a moderator for whole 30, so building my support system!

We can and we will do this!!! Congratulations everyone on Day 1!

i am starting my first Whole 30 today. I'm excited but a little overwhelmed. I'm not a big vegetable eater (pretty picky eater overall) so am not sure of the variety I will find in my foods. Plus, I have to travel this month and all of those other factors (4th of July for ex.). However, I WANT tto do this. So suggestions for planning for the obstacles I know I will encounter are appreciated. I want to be preapred. I plan to check the forum daily too.

janet

Day 1 log:

Breakfast: 4 eggs, scallion, 5 baby Bella mushrooms, 1 red pepper cooked in coconut oil. Half cup coffee with a dash of coconut milk and a really sweet peach

Lunch: salad (spring mix, crunchy mix from Costco that has kale,broccoli, Brussel sprouts, chard etc.) ½ apple, olive oil and balsamic. Chicken breast baked in coconut oil with dried coconut "breading". Lime seltzer

Dinner: out with friends at a pizza place (!)... Spinach salad with tomatoes cucumbers, onions 1 hard boiled egg and some chopped chip steak, olive oil and red wine vinegar

Yum!

Hello Everybody! I started my Whole30 today. I am not a Whole30 newbie, but I have not been able to complete one since November of 2011.  I really, really need to make my health a priority because my husband just died of colon cancer in May, at the age of 30. I need to get and STAY healthy for my kids (10 months old and 4 years old) I completed 2 Whole30's in 2011, and felt AMAZING. Then I got pregnant, my husband was diagnosed with Stage IV cancer, and I've been binge eating baked goods ever since... I absolutely have to make it through the whole 30 days (and beyond?!?!) this time around. I'm not giving myself any other options. 

Archived