Earth Balance Butter (Soy Free)

Has anyone ever heard of Earth Balance Butter? They have 2 kinds. One with WITH soy, the other one is WITHOUT soy.nutr-spread-soy-free.png

Is this okay to have? I have finished the Whole30, and trying to live the Paleo lifestyle...and would like to know if this is okay to have as a "butter"

Thank you!

Sheena

Someone gave it to me, so I was wondering if we could have it. I am not sure what ingredients are bad in it...that is why I asked.

Sorry if I was a little snarky, I just hate these fake foods that try to seem "natural." The issue for me, other than purely processing, is the Canola oil. Canola is an industrial oil, not really a food. That plus Safflower oil (a seed oil) makes it not as good of a choice as the other ones I mentioned. I know seed oils are on the "ok but not recommended" list, but I don't remember how the W30 comes down on Canola, so I'll leave the official response to a moderator.

OOPS, now I see that it contains pea protein. I think that would take it off the list for sure (legume).

Canola oil is bad news. If you wanna be grossed out look for videos on youtube on how it's made. Pretty gross stuff that you don't want to put in your body. You want to avoid seed and vegetable oils at as much as you can as these are proving to be the real culprits in heart disease. Throw that stuff out and use real ghee or butter!

Lecithin is almost always derived from soy. Sugar beets are almost always genetically modified. Pea protein is a cheap filler, and a waste product from the food manufacturing industry. It's mostly used in pet food. Canola oil is toxic, and safflower oil is highly inflammatory.

So, my conclusion is that this product is not food. If someone gave it to you and you want to use it up, that's entirely your decision. But I wouldn't pay money for it.

You can make Ghee and clarrified butter. I'm not sure where you are located, but Kerrygold Irish Butter is harvested from grassfed cows, and is available at my local regular supermarket. Google "how to make ghee" and make it yourself!

Thank you so much! I really appreciate all your input....into the GARBAGE it will GO! =) I havent been able to find Ghee butter!

Here's my basic "recipe":

Put one pound of unsalted butter in a saucepan and set heat to low.

Completely forget about it until the next time I go into the kitchen.

Scrape off any solids that are floating (or foam), leave on low and ignore it again for awhile.

Re-enter the kitchen and determine that I now have an explanation for that funny sound (spluttering).

Determine that the ghee is ready and strain through cheesecloth into a bowl.

• 2 years later...

I'm planning on doing my first Whole30 next month. I'm working hard to plan out all of our meals and snacks. We have a severe dairy allergy in our house, so we currently use Earth Balance. I know it isn't as good as ghee, but can I use the organic soy free version in place of ghee, because of the dairy allergy? I want to follow the rules, and this seems to be the only item that may cause a problem due to the allergy. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

• Administrators

I'm planning on doing my first Whole30 next month. I'm working hard to plan out all of our meals and snacks. We have a severe dairy allergy in our house, so we currently use Earth Balance. I know it isn't as good as ghee, but can I use the organic soy free version in place of ghee, because of the dairy allergy? I want to follow the rules, and this seems to be the only item that may cause a problem due to the allergy. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Sorry, but no.  The "Natural flavour - plant derived from corn" and the pea protein would put this off limits for sure and canola oil is really only approved for eating out.

I have never used ghee myself so you can definitely do a Whole30 without it.  Try lard, tallow, avocado oil, olive oil as cooking fats and avocado, olives, coconuts, fattier cuts of meat and whole eggs as food based fats.

For folks like me who are allergic to casein and soy, butter and ghee are not options and earth balance is the only thing I found that was something to use. I don't use it much and use very little olive oil. Any other suggestions?

• Moderators

For folks like me who are allergic to casein and soy, butter and ghee are not options and earth balance is the only thing I found that was something to use. I don't use it much and use very little olive oil. Any other suggestions?

Why do you use very little olive oil? It's a healthy fat choice, as are avocado oil or coconut oil or macadamia nut oil or lard or tallow.

You can also eat avocados or olives or coconut or nuts to add fat to a meal, although you should limit the use of nuts somewhat because they can cause digestive problems for some people, plus many people find them to be food without brakes -- meaning it's easy to overeat them.

You can also make mayo or other sauces to add fat to meals. Something like a chimichurri sauce is good on meat or vegetables. Make your own vinaigrettes for your salads, or if you make the mayo, you can make creamy dressings.

Google Whole30 fat sources for more ideas.

I have no gall bladder and digesting fats is at best, difficult. Coconut milk makes me ill almost immediately as do avocados. Whole30 is pretty exciting! The only thing I had to give up was sweets and the little bread I ate. The oils are the challenge since I was using canola, and I thought that was an ok choice.

I have no gall bladder and digesting fats is at best, difficult. Coconut milk makes me ill almost immediately as do avocados. Whole30 is pretty exciting! The only thing I had to give up was sweets and the little bread I ate. The oils are the challenge since I was using canola, and I thought that was an ok choice.

Canola oil is relunctantly allowed, only in dining out circumstances, per the Can I Have Guide. http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/

Shannon provided other oils that are more optimal choices: check them out.

THANK you so much Physibeth!!!! Excellent and helpful link!!!! For 4 months post getting my gall bladder removed, I was in fasting syndrome. I lived on vegi and fruit juices with liquid amino acids. Slowly I introduced foods. I wish I had stock in toilet paper. Most folks just can't understand how debilitating diarrhea can be. I am hoping whole30 leads me to a kinder future. Thank you!

Archived