Breakfast Meats...

amywhole30s

I know that I am going to get sick of eggs pretty quickly... I already am, so I need a few other breakfast options that are going to get me through the 30 days!

Every single bacon I have looked at contains sugar, same with sausages. 

I am not the type to have something dinner-like for breakfast, and simply cannot wrap my mind around that. 

It seems there are a lot of people eating sausages and bacons, and turkey bacons in their Whole 30 - have they found sugar-free options, or is this some sort of rule people are by-passing?

Help! I live in Canada, so I'm not sure if that makes a difference. 

Do you have Aidell's brand sausages in Canada? I know that at least their chicken and apple flavor is compliant (or was when I last looked at it, at least). Some people have found compliant bacon (which counts as fat, not protein) at their farmers' markets, or ordered from US Wellness.

One of my favorite local restaurants does a steak hash on the breakfast menu - flank or sirloin steak with pesto and potato hash (for W30 I'd do chunks of sweet potato). It's awesome. Maybe that would be breakfast-y enough without being eggs?

I was sick of eggs by about day three, suffered through them for another week, and haven't had another one in the last 2.5 months. I'm finally back at the point where I might be able to try again! I know eating "dinner for breakfast" sounds weird, but you might give it a try at some point. One day a little less than halfway through my Whole30, I had leftover flank steak and veggies for breakfast. It was so awesome - because it wasn't eggs!

You'll need to look at the ingredients.  If you can't find something compliant, you can cook off some ground turkey or ground pork with herbs and spices and make your own hash.  There are some great recipes out there.  You can cook off a large batch and freeze or keep some in the fridge for the rest of the week.  

I am one who can eat anything at any time of the day.  I didn't find bacon until well after my Whole30 and breakfast sausages all have sugar, as far as I can tell.  I wandered into the realm of other sausages and found several.  I'm not sure if they are close enough to breakfast or if you have them in Canada, but maybe this will get your wheels turning.

Applegate chicken apple sausages make an amazing hash.  (Chicken also makes a great has with sweet potato and kale or spinach.  I also love to add mushrooms, finely diced.)

Her in Colorado we have German sausages that are compliant, as well as chorizo.  The German seems to be the perfect protein to insert into breakfast and we already eat chorizo at breakfast.

The butcher at our Whole Foods stands there making sausages all day.  He has said that he can make sausages or bacon with any ingredients that we approve.  Talk to your local butcher (or farmer) if you have one in your area.

Also, people do pork chops and eggs or steak and eggs.  Keeping the egg with it helps me spread my protein dollars and might help you feel like it is more breakfasty.  These baby steps will get you to Meal 1 soon if you let them.

Smoked salmon is also great with breakfast, as is shrimp.

For breakfast veggies, just try to think of things that would go into an omelet.  Think spinach, asparagus, tomato, mushroom....pretty soon, you are on your way.

I know it feels weird to think about eating different things for breakfast. I used to love my cold cereal every single morning, and nothing else appealed to me. But now I alternate among canned salmon, lamb patties, sausages, and fried eggs, and accompany them with a small sweet potato, a green veg (broccoli or asparagus), and a serving of cold sauerkraut. About twice a month I have fried plantain with cinnamon for a carb blow-out treat. I enjoy them all so much! Breakfast is now my favorite meal of the day.

I've become completely disgusted by store-bought sausages and plan to make my own. 

I've been eating my M1 closer to about 11 a.m. so it does not feel so strange to eat dinner food in the morning.  That said, I could eat nom nom's sweet potato hash with a fried egg every day of my life.  But yesterday I re-fried some leftover pot roast into carnitas and ate them with steamed asparagus and tapatio sauce.

• 6 months later...

I think a lot of people have an an aversion to dinner for breakfast thing. But try it and you might like it. I love how it feels and that it takes that "what's for breakfast?" question out of it.

But yeah here are a ton of recipes for compliant sausage out there. Paleo Mom has a bunch. I not sure if people all buy sugar-free bacon from a reliable source but you don't want to be eating bacon daily.

http://whole9life.com/2012/03/bacon/

• 7 months later...

I was wondering about Tapatio also, and this is the only post that mentions it. So I searched the suspect ingredients: xanthan gum and sodium benzoate.  From what I read, neither are prohibited.  With that in mind, I'm guessing Tapatio is allowed! This makes me very happy!

I made a great breakfast this morning- chicken apple sausage, a couple sweet potatoes, a green apple, and half an onion all fried up in coconut oil. I did have 2 over easy eggs over all of this.  I have enough for breakfast the rest of the week if I add a couple eggs as well.  I made a roast beef last week and had that for breakfast with avocado and tomatoes for a few days. I added eggs too... but it would be good without them! 

• 4 weeks later...

The low sodium (blue package) Kirkland bacon at Costo is compliant and so is Smitty's no sugar bacon.  Just be careful to read your labels!  Both brands also sell non-compliant versions!!

I am in Ontario and i looked for awhile before stumbling across both of these! 

Buy prosciutto and bake in the oven til crisp. It's a great swap for bacon and the only ingredients in prosciutto should be pork and salt (but read your labels!) You can also make your own breakfast sausage as others have suggested. There are tons of recipes out there.

Personally, I'd encourage some "out of the box" thinking and experiment with different foods in the morning. Cause really... what makes a combination of ingredients a breakfast food as opposed to dinner? Plenty of people eat frittata and quiche for dinner and have soup or broth with their breakfast. Good food is good food regardless of the time of day.

We don't have the Adellis' brand sausages here in Canada, that I have found, but if you are in the Calgary/Alberta region I have found that Spolumbo's brand Chicken Apple sausage is complaint.  I have found it in Superstore and occasionally Safeway.

Also, I have found the Kirland brand low-sodium bacon has no added sugar, so while not perfect, it's a compliant breakfast food!

• 3 months later...

Archived