Sara's Post W30

SaraRuns

Great job on going 30 days without nuts! I'm curious to see what the reintroduction shows. I would treat it like you do any other whole30 reintroduction I think.

Yay for a sunny run! I'm hoping it stops pouring here soon. It is finally warmer and I don't mind running in drizzle but can't take the pouring rain. I hear you on the hills are hard after lots of dreadmill work. I always tell myself I should just put in a randomized program of incline on the treadmill but I never do. I feel like having to be on the treadmill is already torture enough. ;)

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks, ladies!  It does feel pretty good to have accomplished the no nut thing.  Especially because the way I was eating them was making me uncomfortable.  Hopefully I have regulated them back to being a normal food item.

Bethany, I've decided to follow your advice and do a nut reintro.  A very small breakfast serving, but three servings followed by a couple of days off.

Juz, It should be interesting.  We'll see if there is any difference.  Slowing digestion is something I do not need!

Today is 3 miles easy and strength training.  Still pretty sore from the hilly 8 miler, hopefully today will shake some things out.  I made a tray of roasted cauliflower after dinner last night, as I can't seem to keep up with my vegetables.  Weather has been nicer, almost in the 50s!  Luckily the rain is hitting tomorrow when it is supposed to be almost 60, instead of Thursday when the high is 27!   :o

M1: Frittata, veg soup, 4-5 macadamias; coffee with HC

M2: Chicken with mixed greens and O&V, roasted broccoli, FF yogurt with berries, 1 oz mixed deluxe nuts; tea

M3: Ground beef with mixed greens and O&V, roasted cauliflower, 1 tbsp almond butter; tea w/ 1 tsp HC

Jen, It has to come.  I believe!  I need some rainboots, it seems a little silly to be in my big old snow boots in the 50s/60s.

Tonight I have 7 x 800s.  It sounds like a lot more than 6 x 800s for some reason.  Plus I'm still a little sore from the hills, so it should be a challenge!

Did my nuts yesterday, and so far, no ill effects.  I really enjoyed the almond butter last night.  I'm going to take the two days without to see if I notice anything.

M1: Frittata, veg soup; coffee with HC

M2: Grilled chicken with 1/4 avocado over mixed greens with O&V, roasted cauliflower, FF greek yogurt with raspberries; tea

M3: Ground beef burger, mixed greens with O&V, 1/2 cup butternut squash, 1 cup sweet potato; tea with 1 tsp HC

I haven't noticed anything related to nuts, which I'll take as a good sign.  Although I know I have to be careful with my consumption, they are a great item to have on occasion.

Intervals last night were tough!!!   :blink:  Some residual soreness from the hills on Sunday made even the first set difficult.  But I powered through and feel like it was a huge accomplishment.  Today is a rest day!

After three weeks of stomach troubles (at least), things seem to be improving a bit, I REALLY hope that continues.

Back to the teens this morning, but hopefully that is the worst of it.  I told my son that it was the last time this winter he would get to wear his bomber - hopefully I'm right!   :)

m9yyVEq2OrSwsr4uGuFXs4A.jpg

M2: Chicken sausages, roasted cauliflower, avo over mixed greens with O&V

M3: Venison steak, roasted cauliflower, mixed greens with O&V; tea with 1 tsp HC

Jen - You've convinced me, I need some rainboots!

Juz - Ha!!!  That hat is a hat and scarf all in one.  He's gone out in single digit temps and he came in sweating.   :D

Just got done 4 miles and strength training.  I'm feeling pretty good today.  I wonder how much of that is having some regularity - I'm thinking a lot.  But maybe adding back in some carbs is also helping?  Stay tuned...

1/2 day for my son today, so I better get on with it.

M1: 3 HB eggs over mixed greens with O&V, roasted broccoli, 1 chicken sausage; coffee with HC

M2: 1 cup FF Fage, 1/2 cup berries

M3: Grilled chicken, mixed greens with O&V, roasted broccoli, 1/2 avo; tea with HC

Thirty days of no nuts and now a nut reintroduction - you are rocking the nut scene.  I bought pecans this last week and have been eating them a bit too rapidly.  In my mind, they didn't really qualify as nuts since they weren't the usual almonds that I love to munch on.  Ha - pecans are just as addictive! 

Glad your stomach is on the mend and your workouts are going well.  Would be interesting if the extra carbs are the reason behind some of the positives.

Emma - I think raw walnuts are the only nuts that slow me down, they leave a dry, textured feeling in my mouth I don't love.  I think the increase in carbs has helped, especially with my mood.  VLC I was getting agitated pretty easily.

One thing I want to focus on is being more happiness.  I read a blog post that talked about happiness being a choice, and it really resonated with me.    I'm not sure what steps I am going to take, I was wondering if I might do something with meditation here?  I am already trying to banish the negative thoughts as soon as they start, but I want to do something more pro-active.  Any thoughts???

Quick 2-miler this morning.  Perfect for the day before my St. Patrick's Day 5k (ok, my race is on the 16th, but close enough :) ).

1393937951_stretch.png

M1: Chicken sausage, veg soup, chicken and egg over mixed greens with O&V; coffee with HC

M2: FF Fage, raspberries, blackberries

M3: Stirfry Chicken and veg, glass of wine (dinner at my ILs, so no control over what is going into anything, I'll pass on the rice, but I know she'll use soy sauce)

Another 5k in the books.  Not a PR, unfortunately.  It was really windy and cold.  And we didn't do a warm up run first, which we should have.  But I always have fun with my SIL.

M1: Veg soup, chicken and HB egg over mixed greens with O&V; breve latte

M2: FF Fage with berries (really a snack, just eating M1 at 1:30)

M3: Venison steak, roasted cauliflower, mixed greens with O&V; tea with tsp HC

Today is a rest day.  I feel like I need it, even though it was a low mileage weekend.

M2: Grilled chicken and avocado over mixed greens with O&V, roasted broccoli

M3: Taco ground venison over mixed greens with O&V, caulflower roasted; tea w/ tsp HC

Juz - I love roasted broccoli, yum!!!

Lordy, lordy, look who's 40.  Yup, the big 4-0.  It feels strange to think I'm 40, but I'm good with it.  I'm in a good place - I have a wonderful husband and son, great family and friends, a good job, and honestly, most of my concerns are things that aren't that important in the grand scheme of things.  My son desperately wanted to give me my present this morning, but I told him he needed to wait.  You would think he was getting the gift, it was sweet.  :wub:

Tonight I have 3 miles and strength training, so not much celebrating.  We are having a double 40th birthday party in April, midway between my birthday and my husband's birthday.  Lots of cleaning in the next month!

M2: Chicken sausage, ground venison over mixed greens with O&V, roasted cauliflower; tea

M3: Ground venison over mixed greens with O&V, roasted cauliflower, tea with tsp of HC

Juz - Thank you!  I'm not quite ready for middle aged shoes, although I did get the rain boots I was talking about above.  At least you don't have to worry about her borrowing the shoes!   ;)

Bethany - Thank you!

Not much time for celebrating last night with my workouts.  My son got me a charm for my bracelet and my husband surprised me with an overnight babysitter, the room we stayed at on our wedding night, and a driver for the ride to and from our favorite restaurant for Saturday.  I'm excited and it will definitely be a night to enjoy all the food and wine!   :wub:

Tonight is a 45 minute tempo run - my longest in this training cycle.

M1: 3 HB Eggs, Veg soup; coffee with HC

M2: Grilled chicken and avocado over mixed greens with O&V, 1/2 cup FF Fage with berries

M3: Venison steak, mixed greens with O&V, sweet potato; tea with tsp HC

Today is a rest day!  DH is going to be late, long meeting in NYC.

M2: Grilled chicken and avocado over mixed greens and O&V

M3: Ground venison over mixed greens with O&V, roasted broccoli; tea w/tsp HC

Juz - I'm so excited!  :D

Today was 9 miles and strength training.  Needless to say I'm a little sore.  I wouldn't normally do my long run and strength training the same day, but I didn't want to be exhausted tomorrow evening and I don't know how things will be on Sunday, so I thought I better get them both in today.

M1: 3 HB Eggs, 2 oz chicken breast, mixed greens with O&V, roasted brussel sprouts; coffee with HC

M2: FF Fage, berries

M3: Venison meatloaf, mixed greens with O&V, roasted brussel sprouts; tea with tsp HC

I will not be posting my food tomorrow, I will just be enjoying!

I had a great time out on Saturday.  It was so nice to spend time with the hubby, just the two of us. :wub:  I had great food, wine, dessert and enjoyed it all!  The next day I had french toast and syrup and enjoyed every moment.  I think I was able to enjoy it all so much because it truly was a treat.  Today I am back on track.

Today is a rest day.

M1: 3 HB Eggs, veg soup; coffee with HC

M2: Chicken over mixed greens with O&V

M3: Meatloaf muffins, roasted brussel sprouts, mixed greens with O&V; tea w/ tsp HC

Hi!  Happy birthday!!!!

What do your rainboots look like? 

What a wonderful birthday gift from your husband!  :wub:

I agree with you that happiness is a choice.  It's hard not to get caught up in the negative.  I try to let things roll most of the time, but I get stressed and harried, too.  Let us know if you come with anything to help.  I know pink polka dot rainboots help me. :)

Jen - Welcome back!  Thanks, it was a good birthday!  I can't get a picture of the rainboots to show up, but here is the link: http://www.dsw.com/shoe/kelly+.and.+katie+pinwheels+rain+boot?prodId=301336&category=dsw12cat1740096&activeCats=cat10006,cat20173,dsw12cat1740096

I thought they were fun!  And I think they will definitely add a little happiness to any rainy days.

I'm still working on the happiness thing.  I'm a stressor/worrier.  So one thing I'm trying to do is not worry/stress over things that are out of my control.  I am also working on banishing negative thoughts - for example, when I'm driving, I tend to be in a hurry and think negative thoughts about all the other drivers.  So I'm trying to take my time (it is rare that I'm running late) and try to think the best about other drivers or concentrate on the music or listen to my son reading me a book (his new favorite car activity!).  If you have any ideas, I'm all eyes.

So I must admit that I'm pretty surprised that I didn't seem to have any negative reactions to my indulgent birthday celebration.  I'm up a bit in weight, but I expected that due to water retention.  Even gluten doesn't seem to be a real problem for me, at least in limited amounts.

Today I have a 3 mile run and strength training.

M1: 3 HB Eggs, veg soup; coffee with HC

M2: Grilled chicken, 1/2 avocado over mixed greens with O&V, roasted broccoli, 2% Fage Yogurt with berries

M3: Venison steak, roasted broccoli, mixed greens with O&V; tea with tsp HC

Cute boots!

I'm a stressor, too.  And a super controlling planner.  It drives my husband nuts sometimes, but he admits that life wouldn't be as smooth if I wasn't that way.  He'd like me to just let it go sometimes, though.  I'm trying, but it's hard.  I like to be prepared for anything.  But then I get crabby and stressed if things change.  Work in progress. 

Other than a cold sore flare up from rather big offroading, I don't usually have any immediate reactions, either.  Maybe some water retention or bloating, but that's it.  My main issue is that a small indulgence may not have negative consequences, but a small indulgance tends to turn into a big one for me. 

Archived