Sara's Post W30

SaraRuns

Jen - I also think this is something we'll always have to deal with.  And I never forget the magnesium now!  The chicken salad sounds really good.  I never thought of trying to get away with no mayo in the chicken salad.  Maybe we'll try to throw that together this weekend.

Beets - Got to love it!  On the magnesium, I'm not sure it ever helped my sleep (but I'm a good sleeper usually), but I take it for its other effects.  But I did notice it takes a bit of time to build up in the system, so give it a couple of weeks and hopefully it will help you stay asleep.  The biggest thing I've noticed to help keep me asleep is to not go to the bathroom when I wake up.  I feel like I'm training my bladder to make it until morning (with some mixed results).

Intervals tonight, 8x400s.  First time doing 400s, so I'll have to figure out my pacing.  We got my son signed up for swim team, meets are Tuesday and Thursday evenings over the summer.  I will have to figure out how to get my workouts and food shopping in...  I have been considering trying to get a couple of workouts done in the morning in the summer, and go into work a bit later.  With school out, traffic should be lighter.

I ended up eating very late last night, due to working out.  I tried more of a snacking approach (ate everything at once, but a little bit of this, a little bit of that).  That did not work out well calorie-wise (yes, I'm still tracking, for all the good it is doing...).  The glass of wine did not help.

M1: Frittata, veg soup; coffee with HC

M2: Chicken and 1/2 avocado over mixed greens with O&V, apple with 1 tbsp almond butter

M3: Venison steak over mixed greens with O&V, steamed broccoli

ETA: Day 13 no sweets

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's Tom's no mayo chicken salad recipe basically but mixed with another curry chicken salad recipe I found online and then just winging it with what I have. 

Interesting about not going to the bathroom when you wake up.  I absolutely cannot go back to sleep if I don't get up and go.  It's probably mental. 

Beets - is your room dark and quiet?  A sleep mask might help.  I'm waking up way too early, too, because of the light and birds.  When I remember, my sleep mask and ear plugs help. 

I find tha a little of this a little of that often adds up to too much for me.  That was my problem Sunday.  I picked my way through cooking and clean up.  All those little picks, even though all was compliant except my gma's casserole and the goat cheese on the salad, added up to a sore belly.  The dairy didn't help, but I think most of it was just volume. I do so much better when I avoid picking and just sit down and eat a meal. 

I'm with you Jen on the not being able to go back to sleep if I have to go to the bathroom. I think I just need to learn to front load my water in my day as much as possible though that is harder when I teach at 7pm as I'm always so very thirsty afterwards.

I think the light and birds are waking me up too early as well. I've never had much luck sleeping with either a mask or ear plugs. I think as the weather stays nice I'll get used to the birds again but I need to get our black out curtains hung up.

Sara - will this be your son's first year doing swim team? What stroke will he be competing in? I spent many a summer as a tween in the pool perfecting/racing my 50 fly. My hair was always white by the time school started again. ;)

Jen - It really sounds good and I'm mixing up a batch this weekend.  As for going to the bathroom, I really had to train myself.  In the beginning, it definitely resulted in lost sleep, because I would end up having to get up and go.  But it stretched out and now most nights I don't have to, although last night was an exception.  I didn't feel ill from my picking, it just adds up too quickly.  :angry:

Bethany - It is my son's first year doing swim team!  He's been taking swim lessons since he is 3 (5 years of year-round lessons).  He doesn't really want to do swim team, but we told he needs to try it.  It is an every day activity, so it will give my Mom something to do with him while he is off for the summer.  I think  they practice all the strokes, I'm not really sure how the meets work.  The team meeting is on June 4th, so hopefully I'll get more details on that.  His favorite two strokes are freestyle and backstroke.  We'll see if that changes over the summer.

I decided to skip the intervals last night and do a longer, easier run outside.  So I did 5 miles.  Since I'm not training for my half yet, I thought I would keep it fun and try to do more miles.  We'll see how that goes.  Tonight is a night off, grocery shopping instead.

M1: Frittata, veg soup; coffee with HC

M2: Chicken over mixed greens with O&V, yogurt with berries

M3: Fish (maybe, depending on what's available), salad with O&V

ETA: Day 14 no sweets

It's been 26 years since I stopped doing swim team but back in the day yes we did practice all the strokes and diving start techniques and turn techniques. It is a lot of drills. Usually (if I recall) they will watch kids in practice and decide which races they should participate in. I hope he ends up liking it. I know I really enjoyed spending my entire summer at the pool but when I finally quit it was because the stress of how competitive our team was had gotten to be too much for me.

Bethany - I'm hoping at 7/8, it isn't too competitive.  I really think he'll like it once he gets started.  He's a bit hesitant about trying (some) new activities.

Yesterday at the dentist with my son to get a cavity filled and it did not go well.  We are now referred to a pediatric dentist.  Poor kid, I blame the darned well water.  At least my son was a good sport about the whole thing.

Thunderstorms all day today, so I think I'll do my 3-4 miles on the treadmill and then strength training.  Busy weekend visiting friends tomorrow and down to the IL's on Sunday to visit with my husband's uncle, who my husband has never met!   :o  :blink:   Hopefully there aren't a lot of awkward silences...

No idea on meals for today, I'll have to come back and update.

Day 15 no sweets

Poor kid indeed. Have you seen this article? http://thepaleomama.com/2013/11/how-im-healing-cavities-without-dentistry/ I'm super intrigued by these ideas and have been meaning for a while to get more strict about trying it. Have not had any cavities the last couple of visits but from what I've read these methods can help with other issues as well. 

Thanks for the support, ladies!  Thank goodness he isn't upset at all, and is excited he doesn't have to go back to school after his next appointment (on Thursday).

Juz - I've been a little all over the place with my running.  Pre-training for the 10 miler, I was running around 15 miles per week (24km).  During training, I was running between 20 and 25 miles (32-40km) per week.  In May, I'm finally getting back to the 20-25 miles, after a seriously low April (sickness, race, party, etc.).  I think I would like to be closer to the 30-35 mile range (48-56km) range, but I'm not sure I can make it work.  For right now I'm just going to try to be consistent with the 25 miles per week (40km).  So it sounds like we are pretty close in weekly distance traveled!   ;)

It was a good weekend.  Good visits with friends on Saturday and family on Sunday.  I was able to do well with eating on both days.  Had a couple of glasses of wine both days as well.

This will be a busy week.  We got dirt to add to our raised garden, wood chips for the walking area in the garden, and lots of mulch.  So I think I will only have one day of running during the week (instead of 2) and I think I will take the week off from strength training.  I think all the shoveling will be hard enough on my body.  I'll still do 3 days of running over the weekend.  Hopefully, we'll get everything distributed over the long weekend (3-day weekend for Memorial Day, Juz).

Can't wait to try my chicken salad inspired by you, Jen!  :)

Day 18 no sweets

M1: 2 HB eggs, veg soup; coffee with HC

M2: Chicken, avo salad (with plum amazins, green pepper, scallions, lemon juice) over mixed greens - I have some balsamic in case it is too dry with all my greens, yogurt with berries

M3: Chicken over mixed greens with O&V, glass of wine (trying to have this alone, no nuts, no cheese - to cut out evening snacking)

Agree that all that shoveling will be a workout!  I hope you have good weather for it.  I have pictures of my boys after spending a rainy day using our dirt pile as a slide.  They are head to toe mud, but their smiles are huge! 

Jen - Love the huge smiles after playing in the mud.  I have a feeling we'll have some of that going on this weekend.

Nothing exciting going on here, just keeping on keeping on.  Last night I did well with no snacking.  I did have about 5 cashews after dinner.  I was content with the glass of wine, even though I was a little hungry.

Day 19 no sweets

M2: Chicken, avo salad (with plum amazins, green pepper, scallions, lemon juice) over mixed greens, yogurt with berries

M3: Chicken over mixed greens with O&V, glass of wine

Calm is a good goal!

Sara, those old habits come back so hard! I'm such an afternoon snacker. This is usually bc I haven't eaten enough. But there are emotional rewards too. (That Calgon take me away moment when I eat some dark chocolate from the freezer while the kids are fussing in the other room.) I'm not sure figuring out why else you get from a certain food habit is a cute, but it's a start.

Jen - I don't know if I'm calm, but I think I'm in a decent place.  Definitely not frantic, like I felt over the winter.

Beets - I think I do understand the whys of my nighttime want to snack ( 1) Cue to relax once the boy is down and I'm done attacking the day and 2) Knowing I have some room in my diet for something in the evening helps to keep me on track during the day).  I'd say number one isn't such a hot reason, but number two is a good reason for me.  When I eat to satiation, I gain weight.  So I have to make some sacrifices, and I prefer to make them during the day, knowing I can have a little something in the evening.  It is keeping that little something in the evening "little".

I think we did about 8 wheelbarrows of dirt last night.  I also did some weeding in the garden.  I think we only have half of one bed left to do.  Then we need to put wood chips around the perimeter of the garden.  But I have some spinach, lettuce, and kale I hope to get in the garden today.

Today is a run, maybe 4-5 miles?  It might be inside, as they are calling for rain/thunderstorms again.  It is also hubby's birthday, so I need to run out at lunch and pick up a bottle of scotch for him.  I have a reservation for next weekend at a seafood restaurant and scheduled for my parents' to keep my son overnight.  My son is not happy that we are going out to eat without him.  He knows we are getting seafood, which he doesn't love, and he doesn't want to go to a "boring" adult restaurant, but he is still mad that we are going without him.   :rolleyes:   But going without him, we are.  We told him that another night we would all go out and he can pick the restaurant (no fast food!), which probably means Red Robin  :angry: (not my favorite).

Day 20 no sweets (as I'm getting towards the end, I'm thinking maybe a no scale 30 challenge for me; the scale moves right along with measurements and clothes fitting for me, so it isn't that I hate the scale, but I think it is good for me to give up that control from weighing (daily) once in awhile).

M2: Chicken, avo salad (with plum amazins, green pepper, scallions, lemon juice) over mixed greens, yogurt with berries

M3: Chicken over mixed greens with O&V, glass of wine

Keeping that litle something little has always been my problem, too.

Funny about your son being mad about you going out without him.  My kids see that as an opportunity for junk food, late bedtimes and endless technology.  They're practically pushing us out the door!

Lol. I remember when my parents would go out I'd be sooo psyched to eat Spaghettios or box mac n cheese (stuff we never normally ate).

I remember training myself to save points for chocolate when I did WW. I'm hesitant about anything that feels food reward-y, because I know how psychologically that becomes such a heavy pull, but if that works for you then maybe it's a matter of setting out your little something ahead of time.

I think your scale challenge is a great idea! Freeing yourself from its tyranny is one of the greatest gifts of the w30.

Enjoy your husbnd's birthday! Will you partake of the scotch?

Jen - Ha, that's funny!  Maybe it is because he is going to stay over at my parents'?  He loves my parents, but he spends a lot of time with them.  Also, he is still at that point of liking to be with us.  He often cries Monday mornings because he is going to miss us.

Beets - That's funny, I know my parents going out was so infrequent, it definitely wasn't seen as a negative.  Maybe that's where I get it from, all my years on WW?  And I agree, I don't like to have food be a reward, but then again, I'm not sure if there is a way around my situation.  And no, no scotch for me!  That's one of the reasons I usually get it for him as a gift, it is something I don't enjoy.  I think it smells like wet bandaids!!!

Found out yesterday that our CC number was stolen - someone tried to purchase $530 from Lids - a hat store.  Ha!  So our cards are cancelled and we should have new ones tomorrow, fingers crossed.

Had an angry drive home yesterday for some reason, my mantra wasn't working.  But I was much better this morning.  The flow of negative thoughts about other drivers has definitely diminished!

We didn't have a real birthday dinner for my husband yesterday, so I think I will pick up Sushi for dinner tonight (thanks for the stolen idea Beets!).  Depending on the weather, maybe I'll get some planting done tonight, or wood chips thrown.

Today my son has his pediatric dentist appointment.  Hopefully they will be able to do both fillings and be done!  My husband is taking him, which I'm grateful for, because I was really stressed out last time.

Day 21 no sweets

M3: Sushi, glass of wine

Lol. Band aids. I like scotch sometimes but usually only after drinking something else, or when the ratio is five drops scotch to one giant cube of ice.

Boo about the card! That is such a hassle but at least most card companies are pretty helpful with that these days.

Enjoy the sushi!

Beets - Replacement cards are here.  I'm glad they caught it.  The sushi was awesome!  Mostly sashimi and we shared one roll.

I'm so proud of myself right now.  I just ran up the mile hill by my house (500 feet of elevation over .8 miles).  I've run parts of it before, but never the whole thing.  And I did it at the end of my 9 mile run!   :D

My son's teeth are still not fixed.  He has to go back on June 16th to get the fillings done.  The new place insisted on doing new xrays and didn't even get the approval to do the fillings from the insurance company.  So aggravating.

I'm looking forward to this long weekend.  Lots of yard work and running and family time.  Definitely some relaxing time as well.

Day 22 no sweets

M1: Egg white (post workout, just now, at noon!); coffee with HC

M2: Chicken, salad, steel oats with berries

M3: Not sure if I'll need something here, if so, probably yogurt

M4: Chicken and salad, a small slice of homemade pizza; glass of wine

It was a good weekend.  Lots of running and lots of yard work.  My son got to go swimming, so that made his weekend.  Other than a few glasses of wine, my eating was good over the weekend.  I finally made a new recipe, Taj Mahal chicken from WF2.  It was a lot of work.  I meant to make salmon cakes, but didn't get around to it.  I also made meatballs and froze them.

I'll do 3 miles tonight because I won't be running Wednesday or Thursday.  After doing 25 miles this weekend, I think my body will benefit from the two days off.

M1: 2 HB Eggs, veg soup; coffee with HC

M2: Chicken breast and avo over mixed greens with O&V, yogurt with berries

M3: Taj Mahal Chicken, salad; glass of wine

ETA Day 26 no sweets

Archived