Sara's Post W30

SaraRuns

Happy New Year!  It sounds like we have the same goal.  Lose the holiday weight without going crazy. 

Have fun with yoga!  I went to 13 classes in 14 days over vacation and was just tired by the end.  But, I was doing some tough classes.  I gave myself a pass on the planned 14th class to rest.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

I think making the easiest way possible back to your happy place is a great plan. And you know I loves me some yoga.

Big secret: part of my "soft" W30 is telling myself I don't have to stick with it for 30 days if I don't want to. But I just might want to keep going to the end. Figuring out how to do this thing (life, food, etc.) with minimal stress is where it's at.

Jen - These are really beginner and only 10-20 minutes long, so not like your 13 in 14 days!

LadyM - I think your soft W30 sounds like a great fit for where you are right now!

Bethany - How easy it is to fall into these habits!  :wacko:

Day 3 of yoga got done yesterday, plus a run.  Today will be the tough one.  I thought about getting up and doing the yoga this morning, but after two nights of rough sleeping, I decided to enjoy my last 20 minutes of sleep.  Food was back on track yesterday (no crackers!), so I'm feeling good about that.  If I were smart, I would have had some good food prepped for this week, but that didn't happen.  I'll try to do a better job this weekend.

We've got a little snow storm going on here.  The roads are were fine, but very backed up.  Slower driving plus no school delays equals 15 minute delay getting to work.

Thanks, Bethany.

I got in my 4th day of yoga.  It definitely helped that the practice was only 12 minutes yesterday.  So far I'm enjoying it, although yesterday was tough with a lot of ab work.

Eating was fine yesterday, I stayed out of the crackers.  I also picked up a mini snickers at my parents' house and then put it back down.  Small victories!

It looks like a lot of us are experimenting with "something" in the New Year.  I'm doing a month of no sugar since that is one of my weaknesses, but I also need to work on cutting the non-gluten grains, but I need to take small steps!

Hey mcjule!  Thanks for popping in.  Small steps is definitely the way to go.  I have found that sweets are not my trouble spot, definitely something crunchy or pizza!  Ha!

I did Day 5 of yoga yesterday and I also added a small session that is supposed to be good for runners, opening up the hips and other lower body tight areas.  I'm feeling a bit sore today...

Today is pretty cold here, down to 3 overnight.  I know that is pretty tame for some of you, but all the schools in our area went on a two hour delay.  Luckily my morning care is my Dad.

Food was fine yesterday, my husband made yummy venison steak with a surprisingly compliant rub.

That is pretty tame. LOL  It was -6 here yesterday morning.  With the wind chill, they decided to close schools, which I think is ridiculous, personally.  The kids were pretty happy about it, though.  You should have heard the shouts of joy when the auto message came in Tues night!

Still getting my yoga in, yesterday was Day 6 and today I'll do Day 7 after my run.  I'm feeling muscles I'm not sure I ever felt before!  Crazy to do a workout with zero  sweat and feel sore the next day.  It is also showing me just how tight and inflexible running has made me!  :blink:

My son's school just closed.  I'm not really sure why.  We have some icy rain going on, but the roads were fine.  It is exam week, so that will mess up the schedule.

It was a good weekend.  I did a 5 miler on Saturday and was reminded of the hunger associated with longer runs!  I'm still keeping up with the yoga, did Day 10 yesterday.

I overdid the wine last night, back on track today!

LadyM - It feels great to be back on track!

Darn TOM!  Regularity is all off kilter, despite upping my mag.  Not sure how to manage that.

I'm feeling good today, despite TOM and some sinus issues.  Mentally clear.  Hopefully it is some of this exercise finally catching up with me.  And not overdoing the wine.  Ugh, why do I have a tendency to do that on Sunday, knowing I have to work the next day.  

On the exercise front, I know the one piece of the puzzle I'm missing is - yes, weights.  I need to find a routine that I can do consistently.  I like the idea of Lift like a Man, Look like a Goddess, but the reality is that it is a bit more time than I can consistently make myself put in.  Maybe I can just take a couple of the exercises and do those, instead of trying to do the whole recommended routine?  On the yoga front, yesterday was Day 10, not Sunday.  Today is my tough day, but I'm determined to get it done.

Thanks, Derek!  I don't know what my issue is with strength training.  I definitely like the idea of it, but it is the reality that I don't seem to care for.  :P

Ugh, not feeling so great today.  Between regularity issues and TOM, I'm feeling bloated and weighted down.  Super ugh.  Went with a dress today after feeling awful in pants all day yesterday.  Yesterday I had the worst cramps I've had in years.  Not sure what is going on exactly.

Food is fine, although I definitely wanted to eat through the cramps yesterday.  I munched on cauliflower and hummus, which given the circumstances, I think was a good call.

Hopefully this regularity issue gets straightened out soon, drinking black coffee now...

I'm with you on strength training - it sounds good. :)

I'm right there with you on the TOM/irregularity/bloated stuff, too.  Super ugh is right.  And for some reason I always want to eat through the cramps, too.  Frustrating.  Hang in there!

Jen - Thanks for the understanding, but I'm sorry you are in my boat.

I did do a little strength training last night, and Day 11 of Yoga.

Today continues with TOM/regularity bloating, fun times.  I was really hungry yesterday, not sure why.  I have been upping my exercise, which I'm sure is the reason.  But it is strange that the hunger yesterday was seemingly removed from exercise, only an easy yoga session on Tuesday.  I have been trying to add in some good carbs and protein right after my longer runs to help with the hunger and recovery.  Work in progress.

I'm usually very hungry on the first day or so of TOM, too.  I think I'm on the back end now, though, so hopefully that will go back to normal.  I've also noticed that I'm hungrier on rest days than running days...  Running always supressed my appetite. 

• Moderators

Sometimes there's no explaining things! Do you feel like you can trust your hunger cues and follow them, though? For me that's the absolute best thing. But when I feel out of wack, especially in terms of hormones, I don't trust my hunger cues and that makes me crazy.

Jen - I don't think running suppresses my appetite...

LadyM - That's a good question, I don't know if I do trust my hunger signals.  I do know that I trust them more than I did a year ago...

I'm feeling frustrated over my size/weight.  I felt like despite TOM, I had a good week of eating last week.  Not overdoing it, especially on the weekend.  Good running, still keeping up with the yoga, and two days of light weight training.  But my pants are as tight as ever and my weight is up.  It is really, really frustrating.  I keep telling myself that my body seems to go up and down in lumps, and that is what this is.  The weight definitely seemed to come on overnight (although the things that led to it were not overnight), so hopefully I'll have a similar drop?

The weekend was good with dinner out with a good friend on Friday, another friend's surprise 40th on Saturday, and a viewing yesterday (which wasn't good, but I'm glad I went).  Tonight is my husband's end of year work party.  Drinking will be kept in check simply by the fact that I have to drive, so that's a good thing.

• Moderators

What Jen said. And how's the (ir)regularity? That'll cause midsection bloat in a heartbeat.

Be kind to yourself. Berating your body and being angry will only make things worse, I swear. Give it time, give it love, and keep doing the things that make you feel good. Not drinking, though. I didn't mean that. ;)

Jen - Of course you are right, but, ugh...

LadyM - I know you are also right.  I'm trying not to be angry, but I'm definitely annoyed. Darn, there goes my "go out and drink" card.  ;)   Regularity is also still off and yes, I know nothing ever budges for me when my regularity is off.  Really trying to get it back on track, without going all mental about it.

The party was fun.  I was well behaved as I was driving.  I had a beautiful piece of salmon for dinner and a nice salad leading up to it.  And finally, some brussel sprouts!  We were up a little later than usual.  And then my husband snored and woke me up all night long.  After getting woken up 5 times by my son on Sunday night, I'm dragging a bit today.

I did yoga last night when I got to the hotel and again this morning before I left.  And I was only 15 minutes later in to work than usual.

Archived