Sara's Post W30

SaraRuns

• Moderators

Manduka makes the absolute best yoga mats in my experience. Jade are good, too, but they don't last as long. You can get cheap mats anywhere from Target to TJMaxx, but some of them just aren't worth it.

So sorry to hear about your friend.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks, ladies.  As of right now, things don't look good, they've diagnosed him at Stage 4, but he is going down to Penn on Wednesday for a second opinion.  How quickly a phone call can change your perspective.

Thanks for the recommendations for mats!  I've added one to my birthday list.  I'm trying out the lululemon first, mostly because it is a  bit less expensive.  If I continue my love affair with yoga, I'm sure I'll end up with more than one mat.

Crazy morning with negative temperatures and furnace issues!  My 5 miler turned into a 1.2 miler. Ugh!

Oh no. I'm also sorry about your friend. I feel like I keep hearing about cancer--a friend's child, my mom's good friend. So true about a phonecall changing your perspective. My husband and I were bickering about something when he got a call from a friend asking to meet for a beer. This is how he fund out the friend's 11yo's bone cancer was back. Makes you feel petty for fussing about whatever dumb thing we were fighting about.

Bravo for getting out in the cold! That's an achievement in itself. And your body burns crazy energy in cold like that. So don't feel bad at all.

I have a couple Jade mats. (One was a gift.) I like it *much* better than the cheapo I had for a million years before I finally replaced it.

Thanks, Beets!

It was a good weekend.  I got some newborn love as we babysat for our neighbors on Saturday.  We also got another 6" of snow.  Sunday was an emotional upheaval as we visited our friends, the newly diagnosed.  Some small part of me was somehow hoping that we misunderstood, especially about how bad his prognosis is.  But no, I understood perfectly.  There is always hope, and I'm glad they are getting a second opinion at Penn on Wednesday.  But things look bleak.  But our friends aren't.  Two little ones under 5, it is just so hard.

Day 51 of Yoga (2/22)  I'm still keeping it up and I got some decent runs in over the weekend on the treadmill.  Eating is fine.

Day 52 Yoga (2/24)

My husband grilled a mess of chicken on Sunday.  That makes things so much easier during the week.  Otherwise nothing too much else new.  Eating is fine, continuing on with the yoga.  I'd like to get in another day of running, but I think I just have to keep that on hold for now.

Day 53 Yoga (2/24 - I think I messed up dates yesterday)

Today is my Mom's 70th birthday, that just sounds crazy!  ;)

Fingers crossed, but I think I may have figured out at least one way of dealing with my regularity issues - not letting it go past one day without intervention.  I always think, it is only one day, things could be back to normal tomorrow.  Sometimes they are, sometimes they aren't.  By adding flaxseed that first day, I seem to be avoiding the longer term issues.  Adding magnesium was leading me to not feeling well.  So we'll see if this new process continues to work.

Eating was good yesterday.  I think I have gotten my wine consumption, but maybe even more importantly, my cheese consumption, back under control.

My sister and her family are coming up this weekend to celebrate my Mom's birthday, I'm excited to see them!  :wub:

• Moderators

Not to be morbid, y'all, but you're lucky to have moms who are 70. My mom died at 66. Not only do I miss her terribly, but I no longer have her aging body as an anchor for my own. How's that for perspective?

Day 58 Yoga (3/1)

LadyM - 66 is so young.  I truly can't imagine my life without my Mom (parents).  We have grown so close and they do so much for me.  Believe me, I appreciate that they are still around.

Thanks, Derek and Beets!

I had a good weekend.  Lunch with my cousin on Friday out - had tilapia with salsa and a salad.  Left ravenous!  Saturday was hanging out at my parents, catching up with my sister and her family and celebrating my Mom's birthday.  Yesterday I had to volunteer at a swim meet and then carefully make my way home in a snow storm.  2 hour delay for the kids today, but at least it isn't another Monday off!

Yoga continues and I got in some good runs this weekend, including an 8 miler on Saturday.  I'm so ready to be off the treadmill and running outside, hopefully that will be coming in March.  I'm a little nervous to run a race in April after so much treadmill running.

It was really sunny here Sat and it looked lind of spring-like. Until I went outside. Still it was good to be out there.

Are your roads icy?

I remember from my running days (sniff) that adding an incline on the treadmill helps mimic outside running. Maybe that's totally obvious and goes without saying.

• Moderators

An 8-miler! Sounds like you're in such a better place. I think we all struggle after the holidays--and that was exacerbated by your injury. So glad things are going so much smoother now.

Beets - Ugh, our roads!  I'm out in the boonies, so lots of narrow farm-type roads.  And then the snow piled on the sides makes it even narrower and no where to jump to safety!  Plus with the cold temps, the treadmill has been calling my name.  I do know that incline treadmill trick, but I know that the hills in my area make me stronger.

Derek - Thanks for the input.  I hope you are right and I find plugging away on the treadmill has built back up my fitness, even for outside.  ETA: We got into the Cherry Blossom (10 miler) again, so I'm doing that with a group, fun!  Although I'm not looking forward to the crowds.  What races do you have on your schedule?

LadyM - You are right!  I am in such a better place, mentally, physically.  Guess Jen was right, February WAS a great month.   :)

Day 59 Yoga (3/2)  Got in a tiny yoga practice.  I had a meeting for my son.  Food was fine, but I was unusually hungry yesterday, it probably had something to do with that 8 miler.

More snow on the way tonight and again Wednesday into Thursday.  I'll be dragging the laptop home the next couple of nights.  Luckily I have the option to work from home if it gets bad out.

Thanks, LadyM!

Schools closed today, I expect them to be closed tomorrow.  If we get what's expected, at least I'll be able to work from home tomorrow.

Got in a run and yoga yesterday after work.  And the grocery shopping done.  Very productive for during the week.  Of course, we didn't do karate or swimming.

Hopefully this will be our last big snowstorm.  Husband says we may have to shovel, as there is no where to go with the snow if we plow....

Derek - Thanks for the input.  I hope you are right and I find plugging away on the treadmill has built back up my fitness, even for outside.  ETA: We got into the Cherry Blossom (10 miler) again, so I'm doing that with a group, fun!  Although I'm not looking forward to the crowds.  What races do you have on your schedule?

I'm signed up for the Columbus Marathon in October.  And I plan on running a 10k and half in August to try to get a couple of data points to pick an appropriate marathon pace.  I don't know what (if any) races I'm running in the spring though.  I also feel like I should run a 5k this year since I haven't really done before.  ;)

• Moderators

5Ks are so fun! They're the only races I'll do anymore since I quit distance running. But a 5K I can practically sprint and feel really good about. In fact, I might do one in April.

Snow days for my son Wed-Fri.  And we got another 8".  Hopefully that is it for the winter.  Temps got up in the 40s yesterday and the sun was shining, thank goodness for that.

Day 65 Yoga (3/8) - still on the yoga streak and I got in some good runs this past weekend.  9 miler on Friday which was pretty tough, but I got it done, on the treadmill, of course.

Derek and LadyM - 5ks are not my favorites, so painful!  Ha!

Jen - Me too!

Otherwise things are fine.  Trying to manage hunger with these longs runs.  Upping carbs which seems to wreak havoc with my weight.  We'll see, hopefully it all balances out.

Archived