Sara's Post W30

SaraRuns

• Moderators

I think we're all getting better with practice at returning to the path of least resistance. What a glorious thing that is!

Gloomy here, too, but the rain and clouds promise beautiful flowers--that's what I tell myself. . . . 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LadyM - Agreed.  Being able to jump right back in and not dwell on the negative is probably the best thing that W30 has given me.

Starting to see some green, so yes, I'll take the rain that will bring the flowers.

Yoga Day 95 (4/8)

Yesterday was another normal eating day (calm eating, Jen!).  My husband has been sick and I've been fighting with my allergies/sinus issues for a few weeks.  This morning I woke up with a sore throat.  No!!!!  Ugh, I was sick for the race last year and was really hoping to prevent that.  The cold I had a month ago was supposed to render me immune to sickness for this race.  ;)   So lots of ACV and rest.  Hopefully this is fleeting...

Yoga Day 100 (4/13) - Woot!  :D

I had a blast down in DC over the weekend.  The race was fun (and difficult) and so beautiful.  The cherry blossoms were in full effect.  I finished faster than last year (due to a shortened course), but was a bit slower in pace.  I went out a bit too fast, and my lack of sleep (thanks to my son) the night before led to slowing down on mile 8.  I somehow missed the first 4 mile markers (and no mile 5 marker due to the course change), so suddenly I was at mile 6.  It was good to be surprised, I thought I was at mile 4.

Lots of fun hanging with family and a safe trip home yesterday.  Now I'm back to work.  I'll hopefully get in a short run today to shake things out.

I ate pretty much anything I wanted on Sunday, including a 1/2 bagel with cream cheese.  It was delicious.  :ph34r:   Back to normal eating today.

• Moderators

Sounds like a great race and a wonderful time. I'll bet it was gorgeous! So excited about your yoga! And how nice to have had a day to eat whatever you wanted. Sometimes that's exactly what you need.

Thanks, everyone!  I think knowing what to expect made the race a little easier this year, even if I was a little slower.

I'm really proud of the yoga streak.  Some days have been less impressive than others, but I've managed to get it in everyday.  Today will be a challenge, as I'm trying a new class at my son's Karate place.  It is called Cage Fitness and I think it is a type of HIIT workout.  We'll see how it goes, especially since I'm still a little sore from the race.

Yoga Day 101 (4/14)

I've been hungry, I guess from race recovery.  I brought in some chicken breast to add to my lunch which will hopefully keep away the hungries.

• Moderators

Great awareness and smart move with the chicken breast. Take it easy with that class if you need to, but it would be great if it turns out to be something you enjoy and can work into your schedule!

You SHOULD be proud about the yoga streak. You're an inspiration, Sara!

Wow. Over 100 days. And a race! That streak is awesome, though. Really: bravo. 

Hope you enjoyed the class. I think I would be terrified to jump into a class like that. 

WAs really helpful to read in previous page about not dwelling on negative. That's where I need to be. Fake it till I make it, baby.

LadyM - Thanks, that means a lot to me coming from you.

Beets - Thanks!  I was concerned about jumping into that class, especially since it is somewhere I "know" people.  I'm still faking it, but not always.  ;)

Yoga Day 102 (4/15) Done in the girls changing room at karate  :o

I really enjoyed the class.  It was hard.  Five five minute intervals with one minute of rest between.  But you could really control how fast, hard, etc. you did it, so it was manageable.  The one lady I knew asked if it was my first time, she said she was impressed with how well I did, so that made me feel good, because I felt a little all over the place.  So I'm going to try to add this to the schedule the two days a week we have late karate.  I think with the running and yoga, it will be a really good addition.

I'll have to figure out how this class works out with fueling.  I'm a little off last night and this morning because I had blood work done this morning for my annual.

The sun is shining and I'm looking forward to a good day!

Yoga Day 103 (4/16)

About to head out for a run outside, maybe about 7 miles?  New fridge is being delivered and then my husband is heading out on a fishing trip.

Nothing else exciting, looking forward to the beautiful weekend ahead, even though it is a bit gloomy this morning.

• Moderators

Excited about your new class twice a week. I hope it works great for you! Maybe a little lean protein after class will do the trick? Or is it dinner timing you're more concerned about?

Enjoy the run, the beautiful weekend, and your new fridge!

LadyM - I'm excited about the classes too, one is on deck for tonight.  I think the protein after will work.  I enjoyed all of the above!

It was a great weekend, even though my husband was away.  The weather was SO beautiful.  A great run on Friday, a treadmill run on Saturday, a fun night out with family on Saturday, brunch on Sunday, and husband home Sunday evening (even though he was cranky).  I was really happy with not overdoing it on Saturday night, so although I was tired, I felt just fine on Sunday.  Last night I overdid it a bit on snacks after my husband went to bed.  Funny, on Friday when I was home alone, I had no issue containing my snacking.  My husband going to bed early is a trigger for me for some reason, so now that I'm aware of that, I think I can manage it better.

Yoga streak continues - Day 106 (4/19).  I mentioned my streak out on Saturday evening, and one of my sister's friends said to me, "You know you'll have to stop at some point."  Uh, yeah, I do know that.  Funny, because the idea of ending the streak doesn't bother me at all, I'm really just having fun with it.  He was so serious about it, like I haven't considered the ramifications, as if there would be any, to ending the streak.  :P

I'll have to mention this in LadyM's log, but on Friday I watched the documentary about Bill Cunningham that she recommended.  I really enjoyed it and I'm not much of a documentary person.

So grocery store, karate, and Cage Fitness on tap for tonight.  Tomorrow my friend and I are going to go to an actual, real life yoga class!  I'm looking forward to it.

ETA: Because apparently I don't know the difference between too and two...

• Moderators

Can't wait to hear about your real live yoga class experience. I really hope it's good!

Also, why does your streak have to end? A little stretching every day that requires no special equipment seems like an excellent and sustainable lifelong habit to me. . . .

Glad you had a nice weekend!  My husband never goes to bed before me, but when he's out of town, that's a trigger for me to snack.  I've gotten a handle on that over the past 2 years, though, and don't look at a night alone as an excuse to dig into the snacks.  It's a process, though.  Having the kids be older and up later helps.  The snacking/grazing thing isn't as fun with an audience. :rolleyes:

LadyM - I'm so excited for the class tonight.  I always appreciate your insightful perspective.  I agree, my yoga practice is sustainable as a lifelong process.  But if I blow it and break my streak because I forget to do it one day, I'm not going to be devastated.

Jen - We try really hard to go to bed together, but 8pm was too early for me!  ;) I already realized his being away was a trigger, so I usually plan what if anything I'm going to have in the evening.  But he surprised me with the early bedtime, so I know better for the future.  And you are so right about that bad habit not being fun with an audience.

Day 107 (4/20)  Also had my Cage Fitness class, which was good, hard good.  Tonight is yoga and I'm excited to try a class and do something healthy with my friend.  Otherwise, all is well!

Yoga Day 108 (4/21)  I really enjoyed class with my friend.  They called it a Yin class, long holding poses on the floor (passive and meditative).  It was low key and maybe not the best choice for my first class, but that was the time that worked for both my friend and me.  But it was a good class and my friend loved it.  I really want to try a class the owner recommended on Thursday, but we'll see if my husband agrees I need to go again this week.  ;)

Today is Cage Fitness and I need to find some time to fit in yoga.  I should really do it in the morning on Mondays and Wednesdays, but haven't made that happen yet.

I felt really happy after class last night, not sure if it was the relaxing yoga or hopefully beginning a more regular schedule of time with my friend.  Probably a combination of both.  Somehow I was much more agitated than usual this morning, not sure what that is about.  My driving temperament has been pretty calm the last few weeks, but not this morning.  I managed to not lose it too much (a few mumbled curses), so glad it wasn't a horn blowing, yelling type of day, so that's an improvement!  :P

Food is fine, nothing exciting.  We are trying to do better about having more food on hand, I have a couple of prepping meals planned for this weekend.

• Moderators

Yin is probably exactly what your runner's body needed! It's very different from vinyasa, though. When I first tried it, it made me frustrated and angry that I wasn't getting a proper workout . Though holding the long deep stretches made me sweat. I've since come around to the wisdom of its ways, though it's definitely a style to do in the evening in preparation for sweet sleep. I hope hubs is on board with you trying another class!

LadyM - Got the thumbs up from my husband.  This class is a "normal" class with a Yin warm down, which sounds fantastic.  I'll let you know.  But you are probably right about the Yin being really good for my runners body.  Funny, I don't usually feel like I have monkey brain, but when I try to just concentrate on my breathing, monkey brain all over the place!

Yoga Day 109 (4/22).  Got in the yoga at my parent's house before karate, that was better than doing it in the changing room with little girls playing in there - awkward!  Cage Fitness went well and my girlfriend ended up coming to that as well.  I'm feeling pretty good about my workout regimen right now - running, yoga, and Cage makes me feel like I'm more well rounded in my exercise.

So yoga on tap at 6:30 with hair coloring earlier.  I'm also getting a maintenance massage at lunchtime.  Which is good because my neck/back has been bothering me a bit, so hopefully she can work that out.

Eating - normal...

Archived