June 1st Support Thread

CharDoll

I think that this may be the case.  I've not had much acne since going paleo - it's been a huge change for me, but this week I've got 6 or 7 small closed comedones popping up.  I think it's "detoxing" of sorts.

Comedones are those foliculitis-y things, yes? I had one pop up on my wrist this morning, which seems like an odd place to get one. The sooner I'm detoxed, the better!!

• Replies 731
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Help! I have the Friday night munchies! DH is at Bible Study and the baby is asleep and I just want some comfort food!!

I ate a good, whole 30 dinner, so it's not about hunger, just cravings. I don't have anything off limits in the house, but I am resisting the call from the Almond Butter....

If you're not hungry, maybe you're misdirecting another feeling into cravings - are you feeling lonely, bored, tired? Can you find another way to fill the need that's making you have cravings? Stay strong, and remember that even almond butter can't cure feelings you want to avoid. And once you're on the other side you'll feel proud that you didn't give in!  :)

Help! I have the Friday night munchies! DH is at Bible Study and the baby is asleep and I just want some comfort food!!

I ate a good, whole 30 dinner, so it's not about hunger, just cravings. I don't have anything off limits in the house, but I am resisting the call from the Almond Butter....

I'm having them too. It sucks, but thankfully I have nothing off limits here. I think I might scramble up an egg or two with some spinach in a bit. I'm not sure I got adequate protein today.

Brush your teeth. Get in bed and read. :-)

Happy Friday everyone. I managed to go out to lunch with co-workers yesterday and stick to the plan and was very proud of myself. I'm a little nervous about tonight as I have friends arriving any minute who are staying overnight and we are also going out to dinner tonight. For the first time this week I am missing my wine, and we haven't even got to the restaurant yet!  Wish me luck!

I am REALLY proud of myself today, y'all. Apparently it's "national donut day," and one of my coworkers brought in a dozen donuts for the office. Only problem... there were only 3 other people there today (lots of meetings!). They all know I'm doing a Whole 30, so of course they're all saying "Oh I'm so sorry!" as they chow down on Boston Creams (which are my fave), but I said, "It really doesn't bother me..."

And you know, it really DIDN'T. I was thinking I was going to have to have all these paleo back-up snacks at work for days like today, and yet the food just isn't phasing me.

It happened again at dinner tonight. Husby isn't doing the W30 with me, so when I made shrimp fajitas for dinner, I had mine in lettuce cups while he had tortillas. I did not miss having a tortilla at all. Without a tortilla, all I could taste was the spicy, juicy shrimp, the crisp sweet peppers, and the creamy, tangy guacamole. The tortilla just added a tiny bit of contrast. It was the BEST fajita I've had at home -- and all because I didn't have a tortilla.

I'm just really surprised at how little I miss things (except iced coffee with cream and sugar. I will always miss that.), and how happy I am with what I'm eating. It's so exciting!!

Question!  What do y'all do for exercise? I had a herniated disc in March so I'm not really able to do major weight lifting. I try to walk and run a couple of miles (I'm way out of shape after having a baby and a month of intense back pain) or do aerobics a few times a week, but I'd like to do more to increase my fitness while still protecting my back. Any ideas?  I have a yoga mat, exercise ball, and three resistance bands that I can use, but very little time. Thanks for the input!

I am REALLY proud of myself today, y'all. Apparently it's "national donut day," and one of my coworkers brought in a dozen donuts for the office. Only problem... there were only 3 other people there today (lots of meetings!). They all know I'm doing a Whole 30, so of course they're all saying "Oh I'm so sorry!" as they chow down on Boston Creams (which are my fave), but I said, "It really doesn't bother me..."

And you know, it really DIDN'T. I was thinking I was going to have to have all these paleo back-up snacks at work for days like today, and yet the food just isn't phasing me.

It happened again at dinner tonight. Husby isn't doing the W30 with me, so when I made shrimp fajitas for dinner, I had mine in lettuce cups while he had tortillas. I did not miss having a tortilla at all. Without a tortilla, all I could taste was the spicy, juicy shrimp, the crisp sweet peppers, and the creamy, tangy guacamole. The tortilla just added a tiny bit of contrast. It was the BEST fajita I've had at home -- and all because I didn't have a tortilla.

I'm just really surprised at how little I miss things (except iced coffee with cream and sugar. I will always miss that.), and how happy I am with what I'm eating. It's so exciting!!

Question!  What do y'all do for exercise? I had a herniated disc in March so I'm not really able to do major weight lifting. I try to walk and run a couple of miles (I'm way out of shape after having a baby and a month of intense back pain) or do aerobics a few times a week, but I'd like to do more to increase my fitness while still protecting my back. Any ideas?  I have a yoga mat, exercise ball, and three resistance bands that I can use, but very little time. Thanks for the input!

We had donuts at the office today, too. They didn't even interest me. We must be growing up! B)

Look into T-Tapp. The body workout plus is 15 minutes and it is a really good workout, and it might even help with your herniated disc. It's all isometrics, no weight lifting. Just you and your TV.

Okay, I'm pretty proud to say that day 6 is in the hole! We had a breakfast meeting at work today and there were those big, yummy muffins from Costco, fruit, and Naked juices. I brought my breakfast from home (fritatta with apple sausage and spinach) and added a little of the fruit to the plate. I can't believe how good I feel on this program. I peeked at the scale and have lost 2.6 pounds. I am actually starting to have a real appetite. I haven't had one of those in a very long time! I have not slipped up even once on this plan!!

I work in an OB/GYN office and my patients ask me all the time about nutrition advice. I feel confident in telling my non-pregnant patients to eat this way but I'm still not sure about my pregnant patients. I'm guessing it is ok because this is a well rounded program that isn't calorie restricted. I just don't want them trying to lose weight in pregnancy.

That still won't do. The issue isn't the banana, it's the fact that there's no protein in this meal.  Try this Pumpkin Noatmeal recipe (I hate these names. You'd only think it's an oatmeal substitute if you'd never seen oatmeal):

2 eggs, beaten

1/2 cup mashed pure pumpkin

1/2 small banana, mashed

1 cup almond milk

2-3 oz. ground, toasted nuts and seeds (a variety is great, I like mixing chia, almonds, pecans, and cashews for this)

1/4 tsp each Ginger, cinnamon, and nutmeg

We can have Almond Milk???

Can I join in?

Hubby and I started on June 2, so technically we're a day behind. I've been 100% compliant. The first day or two I was starved. Then I added more red meat and fat, and now it seems I feel stuffed all the time. Hard for me to strike a balance, I guess. I've also been battling a wicked headache that started Day 1 and hasn't left. And my pants feel tighter.

Still, I plan to stick it out and hope the magic shows up later. I am coming from a "healthier" SAD diet. I didn't eat beans or legumes, and I limited grains, and I've never had a sweet tooth. I did eat white potatoes at least twice a day, though. Funnily enough, I've always been the type of person who could easily say no to cookies, cake, and ice cream... I never craved it or was interested in it. But tonight I got the biggest urge for something sweet, so I had a couple of raisins. Weird. Maybe it's a carb thing? 'Cause even though I didn't eat sugar, I sure loved my potatoes...

What kind of nuts is everyone eating? I keep looking at the store, but all of the types at the grocery seem to have canola oil or soybean oil...or something else that doesn't seem compliant. I bought raw sunflower nuts, but haven't a clue what to do with them! 

Wow I've just EATEN (rather than drank) breakfast 7 days in a row! Probably haven't done that since I was a child. My body & my mind are still struggling with it but it's one of the new habits I want to get from the Whole30.

Just found a supplier of ghee (Indian grocery store) & bought some along with a food processor (not from the Indian grocer) to help with grating I've done a lot of this week.

Feeling good!

Now starting to plan the next week of meals...

Good morning! Glad to see people are feeling good about making it so far :-)

CharDoll: I hope your headache isn't too bothersome...

Anyone else facing budget headaches shopping for the whole 30? I spent more than 3x what I normally spend for a week, and we are already almost out of veggies! Our fridge was BURSTING on Sunday. I didn't know it was humanly possible to eat this much. 

Going back to the store today to stock up.

Yes spending a lot more but enjoying more & feeling much better about my choices.

And yes didn't know I could eat so much!

What kind of nuts is everyone eating? I keep looking at the store, but all of the types at the grocery seem to have canola oil or soybean oil...or something else that doesn't seem compliant. I bought raw sunflower nuts, but haven't a clue what to do with them!

Nuts weren't a big part of my diet before. I have bought raw cashews & macadamias & I've been eating them as an added extra in some of my meals if I haven't another or a big enough serving of fat with a meal. Either I've thrown in a handful of cashews to a meal after it's cooked/prepared or if still hungry after a meal had a serve of macadamias to top it off. I haven't really worked in into a recipe as such.

Happy Friday everyone. I managed to go out to lunch with co-workers yesterday and stick to the plan and was very proud of myself. I'm a little nervous about tonight as I have friends arriving any minute who are staying overnight and we are also going out to dinner tonight. For the first time this week I am missing my wine, and we haven't even got to the restaurant yet!  Wish me luck!

How did it go quaintjack?

Wine for me was an almost daily necessity. A week in & I'm doing good. Last night I did find myself sipping a lot of water instead of some sort of alcohol watching Friday night football.

Day 6 went well despite a pool party during day and evening get together with group of friends. Stayed compliant but meal times off... but I'm fine. Went prepared with bag of veggies in my bag in case there wasn't food to keep me full. I think that is a helpful strategy. When you are out and about and don't have enough food to eat (in my case at both events above)...I needed extra protein and veggies to keep me full and not break down and eat the non compliant food and then regret it.

So I ate protein and veggies after midnight....oh well. Dinner at the get together wasn't til 11pm (yes you read that right!!!!) so I was starving once we got in the car to go home. I can tell you I didn't feel bloated, gross or anything eating that late. But my mind/body felt nourished.

So I'm REALLY trying to follow the whole30 "don't overthink" plan but still be prepared. Some days you can't eat at the same times and it's OKAY. the main thing was I focused on socializing more and food less since I knew I'd be fed either at the event or privately on my own.

Taking it one meal at a time.....

Can I join in?

Hubby and I started on June 2, so technically we're a day behind. I've been 100% compliant. The first day or two I was starved. Then I added more red meat and fat, and now it seems I feel stuffed all the time. Hard for me to strike a balance, I guess. I've also been battling a wicked headache that started Day 1 and hasn't left. And my pants feel tighter.

Still, I plan to stick it out and hope the magic shows up later. I am coming from a "healthier" SAD diet. I didn't eat beans or legumes, and I limited grains, and I've never had a sweet tooth. I did eat white potatoes at least twice a day, though. Funnily enough, I've always been the type of person who could easily say no to cookies, cake, and ice cream... I never craved it or was interested in it. But tonight I got the biggest urge for something sweet, so I had a couple of raisins. Weird. Maybe it's a carb thing? 'Cause even though I didn't eat sugar, I sure loved my potatoes...

DH and I also started June 2nd. I had a killer headache on the evening of Day 1, but it's better since. I hope you feel better soon!

Day 7 already. I started this process in hopes to alleviate fibromyalgia symptoms. I was diagnosed 11 years ago at the age of 14 and would really like to get off medication. The first week was spent with my family who were very supportive (even when I was super cranky which is unusual for me). Last night I went out with friends and found a delicious compliant salad on the menu. And didn't feel tempted to cheat even when a friend was literally trying to shove a french fry in my mouth. If I was doing this just to lose weight I probably would have caved, but I am really dedicated to feeling better! After the first bar we went to a Mexican place where I previously would have guzzled a margarita (or 2) and eaten an entire bowl of chips. I drank water (5 glasses) throughout the night and was super hydrated and happy with my choices. 

I am participating in a sprint triathlon tomorrow and am looking forward to seeing how I feel. I've only done light exercise over the past week so I am not planning on pushing myself super hard. And I'm fully prepared to refuse all post race food (like ice cream?!) 

I eat raw almonds sometimes as a snack, but not often.

For sunflower seeds, I mix a trail mix of sunflower seeds, almonds, coconut flakes, and some raisins (not too many). This does a nice job of curbing any snacky cravings I have. I use it as an after dinner treat.

I also toss them into stir fries and on top of salads.

DH and I also started June 2nd. I had a killer headache on the evening of Day 1, but it's better since. I hope you feel better soon!

Thanks! It's still here, but milder now.

I am nursing my 11 month old (he eats solids now, but he still nurses 3-4 times per day, plus once in middle of the night), so I am sure things like hormones, dehyration, lack of carbs, and all that are coming into play. I am trying to make sure I am eating enough calories, though.

Happy saturday everyone!

Hope all of you had a great first week.

It's been up and down for me. I've had the urge for chocolate almost every day, especially at night when I get off the bus after work, because I have to walk past this bakery where they also have amazing dark chocolate, and it smells heavenly. But it's with a sense of triumph that I enter my own apartment and haven't caved in.

I woke up today feeling extremely proud, since I went out with some friends last night, (it was fiesta in the streets, with a lot of music, parades etc) and they had wine and I had sparkling water. AND I had fun!

I just wanna share my thursday with you guys. It was a chaotic day, to say the least.

I woke up feeling groggy and tired. But my mood quickly became good when I remembered that I was gonna go get some organic bacon and ground beef that I had ordered (100 % pure). When I got the bacon in hand I didn't understand anything. It was just pure fat. WHat was I supposed to do with that?

The guy working in this organic shop said that that was what I ordered. He had thought it a bit weird since no one normally wanted that. (I had said tocino, which I thought was bacon in spanish, and here they obviously say BACON) So with tears of disappointment in my eyes I had to pay (a lot!) for the pig fat (which I have no clue of what to do with).

I went on to the next 2 stops on my agenda, the market to buy vegetables and fish and my local butcher (it's a really good one and I love it), where I was gonna pick up free bones of excellent quality, so I could make my own stock (broth? I don't know the difference) (I used to do that a lot before, but I haven't done it in a few months, and I really miss my cup of stock in the mornings) At least that went fine.

At home I roasted the bones in the oven, and put the stock pot on to boil. I prepared my lunch (fresh salmon and vegetables bought at the local market), and I burnt two of my fingers really bad. Almost started crying again. So sensitive this day. Great!

But luckily I had delicious salmon with veggies in the oven, so I didn't need all my fingers for a little while, and my lunch went partly painless.

Well, time flew this morning, so I lost my bus to work (I work afternoons), so I had to take a taxi. Super..

When getting to work, I tripped on the threshold so my shoe broke. Is it possible?

When at work, (I teach 2-3-4 year olds), one of the kids had suddenly quit using diapers, and I didn't know this, so he peed himself, poor thing. I had to go into the neighbor room where they have a kindergarten during daytime and nick a diaper from them, cause the kid didn't have any change. After a little while he pooped so it stank all over the classroom. WOnderful!

And after work a friend of mine picked me up to go to a job interview, he brought me shoes, but I just remembered that I forgot my CV at home.

You have no idea how glad I was when this day was over!

I planned on going straight home to bed. But for some reason, unconsiuosly I must have searched for some comfort in cooking, cause I started making a big pot of chili con carne, preparing vegetables and cooking lamb chops.

Crazy?

Food on my mind, my sister said.

Friday went in a blizz, except for my friend puncturing her car when we were out driving. But food wise and health wise, I felt great!

And today is day 7!!

Congrats to all of us :))

- kick split in the air

Thanks! It's still here, but milder now.

I am nursing my 11 month old (he eats solids now, but he still nurses 3-4 times per day, plus once in middle of the night), so I am sure things like hormones, dehyration, lack of carbs, and all that are coming into play. I am trying to make sure I am eating enough calories, though.

Um, that's exactly like me! I'm trying to wean my 11 month old who still nurses about the same amount. :-)

Happy saturday everyone!

Hope all of you had a great first week.

It's been up and down for me.

<snip>

And today is day 7!!

Congrats to all of us :))

- kick split in the air

Oh you poor thing! I'm not sure I could have handled all that! I'm glad the next day was much better for you!

Archived