June 1st Support Thread

CharDoll

day 9 went well. I went out to eat a late dinner (boy the past week my meal times have been off BUT I survived!).

One thing I've done and to some this may be silly but it was a big step for me: I added a sweet potato to my breakfast along with the three eggs and cup of sautéed veggies I already eat. The workout suggestions say this but I just got scared if I ate the potato it would send me in a carb frenzy and I might go crazy with a binge. know what I  mean those with those tendencies?

Well after an hour long workout (walk and weights)....the eggs/veggies didn't quite feel enough in terms of energy level. So I ate sweet potato and I swear I felt my energy level balance out instantly and I went about my morning.

So it's only day 9 and I know I haven't won the marathon but that piece...listening to my body/mind and not fearing it--worked. AND I told my self it's a damn sweet potato. Not a bar of chocolate, not a bag of chips. Sometimes at my age I can't believe the stupid food "issues" I'm trying to undo that have been ingrained in my head. 

I have to remind myself over and over to take the risk to face the fear. Without that I won't know how far I can push out of my strict comfort zone in regards to food.

All other meals have been great and compliant. As someone who avoided beef for years...I'm finding I thoroughly enjoy the grass fed kind a few times a week (but $$$$).

Also...my breath!!! HELP. why does it stink so bad? Is it ketosis? not trying to do that? I drink tons of water, etc so anyone else?!

My breath too!!  I've been eating brussel sprouts with my eggs for breakfast and omg-scary!!  I used to chew sugarless gum every day but it's not compliant.  I use food grade essential oils so a drop of peppermint in my mouth helps a lot.

• Replies 731
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just stopped buying Organic to save costs.  We are all doing this and we have 4 kids so it's costing us a lot more than normal.  We also aren't buying all grass fed meats etc.  I know it's highly recommended but we are having to take baby steps and are following the rest to the tee.  We haven't even set a grocery budget, just buying as we need but we are going to have to do one soon and stick with it!

I haven't bought organic anything, except for the occasional vegetables if that is all I can find. We are still spending over $200 per week for two adults and a baby. I am still nursing and baby is eating a lot of solids. I do shop at Sam's and we haven't been throwing out any food. I don't know how people live like this...

day 9 went well. I went out to eat a late dinner (boy the past week my meal times have been off BUT I survived!).

One thing I've done and to some this may be silly but it was a big step for me: I added a sweet potato to my breakfast along with the three eggs and cup of sautéed veggies I already eat. The workout suggestions say this but I just got scared if I ate the potato it would send me in a carb frenzy and I might go crazy with a binge. know what I  mean those with those tendencies?

Well after an hour long workout (walk and weights)....the eggs/veggies didn't quite feel enough in terms of energy level. So I ate sweet potato and I swear I felt my energy level balance out instantly and I went about my morning.

So it's only day 9 and I know I haven't won the marathon but that piece...listening to my body/mind and not fearing it--worked. AND I told my self it's a damn sweet potato. Not a bar of chocolate, not a bag of chips. Sometimes at my age I can't believe the stupid food "issues" I'm trying to undo that have been ingrained in my head. 

I have to remind myself over and over to take the risk to face the fear. Without that I won't know how far I can push out of my strict comfort zone in regards to food.

All other meals have been great and compliant. As someone who avoided beef for years...I'm finding I thoroughly enjoy the grass fed kind a few times a week (but $$$$).

Also...my breath!!! HELP. why does it stink so bad? Is it ketosis? not trying to do that? I drink tons of water, etc so anyone else?!

With the workout you are doing I think that you need a carb to help with recovery and sweet potato is perfect. For breakfast I eat 2 eggs, sweet potato and baby spinach sautéed together in some coconut oil. I then sprinkle it with some turmeric (good anti inflammatory) and it is so yummy! I have it every morning :-)

Don't let good carbs scare you. I eat a small amount of sweet potato at breakfast and lunch. I find that my energy levels are stable and I don't get any sweet cravings or feelings of wanting to binge. Everyone is different though. It's good you listened to your body. Congratulations on feeling your fear and doing what is right for you :-)

Well, with day 9 under my belt, I'm feeling good. But if anything motivates me to give up, I think it would be my grocery bills! Holy moly. Went to stock up today since my initial haul from May 31 ran out. Going to have to get creative and go for frozen veggies from now on...

Any other budget-saving tips?

We're spending quite a bit too. 3 of us are doing this and it seems we're at the grocery store about every day, which isn't that bad since it's about 200 yards away  ;) , but we don't want to buy more than we can eat before it goes bad. That's the tricky part with fresh items. The first week was easily over $300 and we usually spend about a bit more than half that on groceries for 4.

We're spending quite a bit too. 3 of us are doing this and it seems we're at the grocery store about every day, which isn't that bad since it's about 200 yards away  ;) , but we don't want to buy more than we can eat before it goes bad. That's the tricky part with fresh items. The first week was easily over $300 and we usually spend about a bit more than half that on groceries for 4.

$300? WOW. What exactly have you been buying?  Granted, we're just feeding two people (plus a baby), but we're spending maybe $115 weekly...

day 10. just logging to keep myself accountable in one spot and to just have a place to write thoughts out.

B: 3 eggs, veggies and sweet potato

L: hungry for lunch today. 6 ounces ground fattier chicken, whole bag of frozen broccoli 16 ounces, handful of baby carrots, handful olives and 1/2 avocado. Still hungry (and I sat and waited about 10 minutes or so). so ate a few pieces more of veggie and chicken. then felt full. not stuffed but FULL. I think need for a bit extra protein comes from fact I don't eat pre-workout meal and eat Breakfast right after workout with regular amount of protein. I took a nap for 30 minutes after lunch so I did catch up on a little rest from shorted sleep the past couple of nights.

sadly I'm getting the "craving" to binge feeling. So I'm staying busy and focused. I know I'm anxious about my to do list and trying to get things done but not sure if that's it. I always have a to do list! who doesn't. Anyway going to leave house to run errands and hopefully will calm down checking a few things off the list.

I will edit post later to add dinner and feelings.

Dinner: took another nap prior so a real sign I'm tired and perhaps pushing myself too much today. Going to tackle said to do list later once I've calmed down my anxiety wherever it's coming from.

Ate 6 ounces chicken, TONS of cooked veggies, olives and still hungry 20 min after eating so ate another cup of cooked veggies and handful of coconut.

Here's my issue, I'm full but still have the binge craving. Like really bad. So I'm just staying put on couch cause I'm scared what I will do if I get up.

Tips?

I'm shocked how much money I spend on food, too! And I've been buying (almost) all organic before! (And there I thought I'm gonna save so much money not buying all those bags full of crappy sweets...)

The most expensive item on my shopping list is definitely the organic meat. Non-organic meat is a total no-go for me (both in health terms and sustainability), so I try to buy cheaper cuts (e.g. organ meats). Fish and eggs are also a relief for my wallet. Regarding fish, I find that frozen fish is a lot cheaper and often easier to find in better quality (wild caught, sustainably fished)!

Coconut milk is also super expensive (compared to my former go-to organic soy milk). I use a lot of it, so I buy it at the Asian store in bulk where it's a lot cheaper (that's one item that isn't always organic in my fridge). For other fat sources, avocado is much more expensive than olives, for example.

I'm slowly working out some "tricks" to make my food shopping a bit more affordable. :)

I'm feeling extra bloated today.  Not sure if it's just part of the program or due to something I've eaten.
Last night for dinner I had some approved bacon and prosciutto in a lettuce wrap - that's the only thing different/out of the usual that I had yesterday.
Today I had some almond butter for the first time in a week, and I was thinking I may possibly have a problem with that/nuts in general.  I may continue to cut out nuts for now and see how I feel going forward.

I'm feeling extra bloated today.  Not sure if it's just part of the program or due to something I've eaten.

Last night for dinner I had some approved bacon and prosciutto in a lettuce wrap - that's the only thing different/out of the usual that I had yesterday.

Today I had some almond butter for the first time in a week, and I was thinking I may possibly have a problem with that/nuts in general.  I may continue to cut out nuts for now and see how I feel going forward.

day 10. just logging to keep myself accountable in one spot and to just have a place to write thoughts out.

L: hungry for lunch today. 6 ounces ground fattier chicken, whole bag of frozen broccoli 16 ounces, handful of baby carrots, handful olives and 1/2 avocado. Still hungry (and I sat and waited about 10 minutes or so). so ate a few pieces more of veggie and chicken. then felt full. not stuffed but FULL. I think need for a bit extra protein comes from fact I don't eat pre-workout meal and eat Breakfast right after workout with regular amount of protein. I took a nap for 30 minutes after lunch so I did catch up on a little rest from shorted sleep the past couple of nights.

sadly I'm getting the "craving" to binge feeling. So I'm staying busy and focused. I know I'm anxious about my to do list and trying to get things done but not sure if that's it. I always have a to do list! who doesn't. Anyway going to leave house to run errands and hopefully will calm down checking a few things off the list.

I've recently learned how important it is to eat the pre wo and post wo meals. I had never done that until last week and I've been whole30/paleo since last July. It helped me workout harder, and made me not feel hungry all day. I had a hard boiled egg for pre wo, then on one day I hAd chicken breast And sweet potato after, and on the other day I had prosciutto and plaintain after. I also had all three of my meals. You should try it. It doesn't mean you won't lose weight, in fact it may help accelerate it because your muscles will recover more quickly and become stronger. Give it a try.

Ps. I workout at 6am (mostly weights and HIIT type exercises), so I had my pre wo meal at 5:30am, post wo while putting on makeup at gym about 15 min after workout, at 7am, then I had breakfast at 730/745 at work.

I had an incredibly hectic and busy day at work. And right as I was going to go to lunch, there was an impromptu meeting called with our company V.P. That ended up taking an hour of my day, and threw everything else out of whack. I never had my lunch.

I had breakfast at around 8:45, a handful of nuts around 11, a few strawberries after the meeting and anger after that.

I could have broken the rules of the challenge today with a cheeseburger and fries, but instead I chose anger.

I have a steak coming to room temperature right now that I'll have with a sweet potato and some spinach for dinner.

Here's my issue, I'm full but still have the binge craving. Like really bad. So I'm just staying put on couch cause I'm scared what I will do if I get up.

Tips?

Hey wyoinap. Totally been there. First of all, you have done a powerful thing in recognizing your craving--excellent. Please also let yourself know that it's okay to have that craving. You're human, you know?

Can you do something to occupy your hands/time? Knit, sketch, make jewelry, organize a bookshelf, text friends, etc.? Tick off some stuff from a to-do list? One thing I love to do at the end of the day is make tea. The ritual of boiling water, pouring it over the leaves, steeping, and drinking is extremely peaceful. Or just get in PJs and go read. I find that when I'm in bed and ready for sleep, I'm way less likely to want to get out of bed and snack on those leftover chicken wings or whatever.

I don't know if any of that's helpful, as all of these suggestions are born of my own issues and may not be of service to you! But sometimes I like to throw a bunch of spaghetti at the wall and see what sticks :)

Good luck!

Thanks everyone for the support you leant me over the weekend :-) Day 10 for me now and I don't want to quit (well at the moment lol). I'm feeling so much better, trusting in the program and enjoying the challenge. 

Congratualtions to everyone who has made it this far. I love checking in on this forum.

It's getting colder here (Australia) and I've been craving warm comfort food. I made Well Fed's Shepherds Pie and it was perfect <3. I can't get my hands on any sugar free coconut aminos so I bought some anchovies in olive oil to replace and that added the umami taste that I have been craving badly.

Ooh - I'll have to try the anchovy substitution! How much did you use? The days are getting very short here in NZ, I could go for some comfort food like shepherd's pie as well. :)

I had an incredibly hectic and busy day at work. And right as I was going to go to lunch, there was an impromptu meeting called with our company V.P. That ended up taking an hour of my day, and threw everything else out of whack. I never had my lunch.

I had breakfast at around 8:45, a handful of nuts around 11, a few strawberries after the meeting and anger after that.

I could have broken the rules of the challenge today with a cheeseburger and fries, but instead I chose anger.

I have a steak coming to room temperature right now that I'll have with a sweet potato and some spinach for dinner.

Congrats on getting through such a stressful day without using junk food as a crutch! :)

Tips for cravings... I got from iquitsugar by Sarah Wilson a big healthy food lady over in oz. before I went paleo, I did her programme which led me to paleo; my holy grail of superfoods, organic coconut oil, in uk nicest brand is lucybee. I always find if I have a tbsp with my meal it makes me feel full so much quicker and also a tsp with a little blob of nut butter gets rid of any naughty cravings until you beat them. I don't get cravings anymore as am so full after my meals i can't think about even eating dessert. It's also the most amazing energy boost, if you can't manage a meal before your w/o take a tbsp of it again with an approved nut butter and you'll be good to go, it's better than not eating as it is immediately converted into energy or you could add a big dollop to your coffee and blend or whisk / research bulletproof coffee too it's awesome have a brilliant day 11 all xxx

Dinner: took another nap prior so a real sign I'm tired and perhaps pushing myself too much today. Going to tackle said to do list later once I've calmed down my anxiety wherever it's coming from.

Ate 6 ounces chicken, TONS of cooked veggies, olives and still hungry 20 min after eating so ate another cup of cooked veggies and handful of coconut.

Tips?

Hi wyoinap :-)

I may be wrong but it sounds to me to like the binge feeling even when you are full is more psychological than physical. It sounds like eating is a comfort to you (I so get it!). Are you wanting to binge on anything in particular? I know when I am feeling anxious/stressed/overwhelmed with work I just want to eat cookies - heaps of them until I feel like I could burst lol!! 

Tips :

Ask for help :-) Is there someone who can help you when your 'to do' list is too much? 

Prioritise the things on the to do list that will make the biggest difference, the rest can wait.  

Rest - everything is much easier after a good nights sleep.

Drink tea - it's warming and comforting.

Hang in there, you can do it!   :)

Ooh - I'll have to try the anchovy substitution! How much did you use? The days are getting very short here in NZ, I could go for some comfort food like shepherd's pie as well. :)

Hi catuscat,

I used 3 anchovie fillets for 500gms of lean mince. I wasn't really sure of quantities so I just winged it and it turned out to be enough. The shepherd pie was great. Will definately be making it again.  

I made it through my triathlon on Sunday but it wasn't pretty. It was about 85 F during the race which made the running portion way hotter than I am used to. For the first time I felt very sick to my stomach during a run. But I made it! I was not even tempted to eat the free ice cream and gave my ticket to the mother of two young children. I did have a dream about eating bread and felt terrible in my dream! I was relived to wake up.

This week has been spent surrounded by sugar cookies and royal icing. I am decorating 200 cookies for one of my best friend's weddings this weekend. My boyfriend returns from Afghanistan on Friday and his parents' house has always been loaded with unhealthy food. I am planning ahead to make some food I can bring with me! I am not worried about cheating because I am not craving food and am really committed to completing this program for my health. I have another friend's wedding at the end of the month and plan on eating a complaint meal before going to the wedding and bringing a compliant bar in case I get hungry. I am really looking forward to all the exciting things happening during the rest of the month and have realized that unhealthy foods are not necessary to enjoy and event and the company of my friends and family. 

$300? WOW. What exactly have you been buying?  Granted, we're just feeding two people (plus a baby), but we're spending maybe $115 weekly...

It's buying all different food than we used to buy. I've gotten 2 seedless watermelons in the past week at $7 each. I normally don't buy watermelons. We hardly ever purchase meat and I've spent almost $40 on shrimp alone. Steaks are $15, roasts are $20, etc. The hormone free, antibiotic free, grass fed stuff is expensive. 

And, because we're cooking all the time we're now running the dishwasher twice a day. We've also had to buy more things like additional cutting boards, storage containers, some spices, etc. I don't think any week will be as expensive as the first one, but it's still expensive. But worth it!

It's buying all different food than we used to buy. I've gotten 2 seedless watermelons in the past week at $7 each. I normally don't buy watermelons. We hardly ever purchase meat and I've spent almost $40 on shrimp alone. Steaks are $15, roasts are $20, etc. The hormone free, antibiotic free, grass fed stuff is expensive. 

I'm not sure where you live... I live in TN and am part of a Real Food Nashville facebook group.

Our group has hundreds of members and we are able to go in together to purchase cows, eggs, etc., to get a good rate.

I bought 2 dozen local organic eggs from a small farm for $3.75/doz over the weekend through the group.

My extended family went in together to purchase and process a cow from a local farmer.  DH and I got 1/8 of a cow, approx 75 lbs of meat, for $200.  Granted, I know we got a realllllly good deal on that cow since it was a friend of our family who raised it... however, if you have the cash to pay up front and room to store it, it's a much more economical way of getting meat that you can feel good about.

Maybe there is a similar group in your area, or perhaps you have some like minded neighbors and friends who would be interested in an egg/beef/poultry/etc. co-op.

You could go swimming, you won't need any flotation devices...I can float really well.   :lol: 

I could definitely go for a swim about now!  ;) 

Today, I know that I don't look like it, but I definitely feel like "fat guy in a little coat"  :blink:

Archived