June 1st Support Thread

CharDoll

• Replies 731
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My photo is an otter with his dinner, a beautiful Brown trout.  

I didn't take a "before" photo because all of my photos are "before" photos and I loathe each and every one of them.   When it's time for the family photos, I disappear.  I don't want my picture taken.  When I catch relatives sneaking up on me with their digital cameras, it really gives me a big pinch.

I don't want to remember anymore "befores".  I have a lifetime of them.  For me, holding myself up for any public/personal scrutiny with another before would make me want to disappear all over again.  I can't do it.  I'm not going to post any befores but I'm looking forward to the future with a promise...not an "after", but actually living and moving forward.

MeadowLily, your thoughts here are spot on. We are shown a binary before/after fat/thin failure/success model. Living isn't about before and after. It's about now. We only exist in the now, and shape our future with the choices we make. Actually living and moving forward is the only way to be.

Hope you are having a good whole30 so far, and soon begin to experience the promise you're looking forward to!

I am feeling pretty good today!

My headache and nausea seem to be gone so I'm physically comfortable finally!

And the last couple days have been tricky for me mentally bc I found myself feeling rebellious and discouraged and just wanting to quit and eat sweets. ...but I didn't!

I think I'm starting to feel better physically and mentally and I'm actually starting to understand the whole "colorful plate" ideals they feed you all growing up. Yay for healthier eating!

I am feeling pretty good today!

My headache and nausea seem to be gone so I'm physically comfortable finally!

And the last couple days have been tricky for me mentally bc I found myself feeling rebellious and discouraged and just wanting to quit and eat sweets. ...but I didn't!

I think I'm starting to feel better physically and mentally and I'm actually starting to understand the whole "colorful plate" ideals they feed you all growing up. Yay for healthier eating!

I am having a serious craving for chocolate cake batter today. I don't know why, I haven't had that in YEARS. I'm chalking it up to wanting something sweet and creamy. I ate a handful of almonds and started feeling better.

I've got a chicken salad waiting on me to eat soon!

Let's hold each other accountable!  

My company has a weekly meeting on Friday with donuts... they get a huge assortment, and donuts are my weakness. Even though I've been primal for months and loving it, I've still caved a few times in a moment of weakness and had a donut... and I am determined to use this Whole 30 to help me overcome that temptation once and for all.

Thankfully, the pizza is in the office across the hall from where I sit, so I am not seeing it or smelling it. *WHEW!*

Donuts are a weakness for me, too. Especially fresh donuts.

I didn't hop on the scales everyday before I started the Whole 30.  I never looked in the mirror and  my scales were hidden under boxes.

I don't want to substitute the scales for cream.  I still don't look in the mirror.  When I brush my teeth, I avoid my face.  I don't look at my reflection in store windows.  I'm an expert at "Blurred Lines".   I have willed myself to blurr my reflection.

Getting on the scales for the first time in at least two years was a first.    I don't want to develop another crutch but the scales won't ruin my health like cream was doing.   I know I have to resist the temptation to get on the scales for 30 days.

Yesterday, I painted my toenails.   That was a big deal because I don't look at my toes either.

Fixing the head is a process.   Fix the head and the rest of the body will follow.

I do want you to avoid the scales, but why avoid the mirror? You are who you are and you are beautiful as you are! Everyone is! I think the first step in moving forward is accepting and loving where we are. I challenge you to look in the mirror really hard each morning and say to yourself 3 things you like about yourself whether they be physical or internal. None of us are perfect, none of us will be perfect, but we all can find things about ourselves that are amazing to love each day. 

MeadowLily, your thoughts here are spot on. We are shown a binary before/after fat/thin failure/success model. Living isn't about before and after. It's about now. We only exist in the now, and shape our future with the choices we make. Actually living and moving forward is the only way to be.

Hope you are having a good whole30 so far, and soon begin to experience the promise you're looking forward to!

My photo is an otter with his dinner, a beautiful Brown trout.

I didn't take a "before" photo because all of my photos are "before" photos and I loathe each and every one of them. When it's time for the family photos, I disappear. I don't want my picture taken. When I catch relatives sneaking up on me with their digital cameras, it really gives me a big pinch.

I don't want to remember anymore "befores". I have a lifetime of them. For me, holding myself up for any public/personal scrutiny with another before would make me want to disappear all over again. I can't do it. I'm not going to post any befores but I'm looking forward to the future with a promise...not an "after", but actually living and moving forward.

Perhaps instead of a picture or mirror, you can write some things down to help you boost your confidence and move forward with your thinking. One of the various diet books I have accrued suggests writing 5 answers to each of these questions:

What are you grateful for today?

What do you admire most about yourself?

What are your biggest achievements so far in life?

What must occur before the end of your Whole30/45/60 etc for you to feel successful?

What 5 habits will you need to develop to reach your goals?

Answering these questions may help you in your self confidence as you move forward in life. Good luck!

Days 4-5 successful despite lots of emotional stress and running around. Had to remind myself to breathe and take it one thing at a time. Eating crap and sugar would be temporary but regret would be long lasting. Eating right and to proper fullness was key to feeling balanced.

The test is coming as it's the weekend but I will take one meal at a time. Meal planning and fueling body and mind with positives is going to be key.

I just noticed that instead of calling my 4 month old baby "snickerdoodle" or "honey bear" or "cupcake", I've been unintentionally calling him things like "sweet potato" and "my lil green bean". Yay for conscious and subconscious health!

For the first time today, I'm feel hungry and wanting to snack between lunch and dinner. It was an emotional day, though ( last day of school) and it's possible my lunch wasn't big enough. I had a huge salad with shrimp. I know I can hold out until dinner so it's fine. Especially because I swear my shorts were just a teeny bit looser today. Is that even possible after 4 days ? LOL.

For the first time today, I'm feel hungry and wanting to snack between lunch and dinner. It was an emotional day, though ( last day of school) and it's possible my lunch wasn't big enough. I had a huge salad with shrimp. I know I can hold out until dinner so it's fine. Especially because I swear my shorts were just a teeny bit looser today. Is that even possible after 4 days ? LOL.

Hi there! I'm jumping in a bit late. My husband and I started on June 2nd, so we're pretty close to you guys :-)

This is our first whole 30 and we are doing it for overall health. So far DH feels better than he did, no nasty hangover feeling or headaches! I've been tired and had a headache on the evening of Day 1, but I'm doing well. 

My biggest problem is eating a big enough breakfast. I have never been one to skip breakfast, but 4 eggs plus veggies is just hard for me to get down at 7:00 am.

Hi there! I'm jumping in a bit late. My husband and I started on June 2nd, so we're pretty close to you guys :-)

This is our first whole 30 and we are doing it for overall health. So far DH feels better than he did, no nasty hangover feeling or headaches! I've been tired and had a headache on the evening of Day 1, but I'm doing well.

My biggest problem is eating a big enough breakfast. I have never been one to skip breakfast, but 4 eggs plus veggies is just hard for me to get down at 7:00 am.

Why don't you try two eggs, spinach and sweet potato? That's my go to breakfast (except I do 3 fried eggs over medium). Sautee frozen chopped spinach in coconut oil, once it's nearing completion, start the eggs in same pan and add salt and pepper over it all. Right after i start the spinach, I wash the sweet potato and wrap it in paper towel and stick it in the microwave for 4 min, then flip it and do another 2-3 min. Then I pull the skin off and mash it with coconut oil, cinnamon, chia and salt. So yummy. And goes really well with the spinach and eggs.

Just make sure you eat enough for you to get through to lunch. Experiment. Maybe do ground pork, apples, spinach and sweet potato with some sage and other spices. Or a breakfast casserole of some sort. No one says you HAVE to eat 4 eggs. Maybe try different veggies for breakfast. :-)

I've never been a breakfast eater either, and actually eating food soon after waking up is just weird. I do good to eat an hour and half after I wake up, but I think I am starting to get the hang of it.

Why don't you try two eggs, spinach and sweet potato? That's my go to breakfast (except I do 3 fried eggs over medium). Sautee frozen chopped spinach in coconut oil, once it's nearing completion, start the eggs in same pan and add salt and pepper over it all. Right after i start the spinach, I wash the sweet potato and wrap it in paper towel and stick it in the microwave for 4 min, then flip it and do another 2-3 min. Then I pull the skin off and mash it with coconut oil, cinnamon, chia and salt. So yummy. And goes really well with the spinach and eggs.

Just make sure you eat enough for you to get through to lunch. Experiment. Maybe do ground pork, apples, spinach and sweet potato with some sage and other spices. Or a breakfast casserole of some sort. No one says you HAVE to eat 4 eggs. Maybe try different veggies for breakfast. :-)

Actually, that is similar to what I've been doing! I was just going by the "how many eggs you can fit in your hands" rule, and I guess I have big hands :-) I'm 5' 10 so I guess it's fair. 

My best day was when I had three hard boiled eggs and raw veggies. Maybe it's just that everything is cooked?

Thanks for the suggestions!

Actually, that is similar to what I've been doing! I was just going by the "how many eggs you can fit in your hands" rule, and I guess I have big hands :-) I'm 5' 10 so I guess it's fair.

My best day was when I had three hard boiled eggs and raw veggies. Maybe it's just that everything is cooked?

Thanks for the suggestions!

Touche. I am 5'11". I have never thought about how many eggs would fit in my palms. Probably 4 like you, but Just always ate 3. Seems like a good number for me. :-) and the protein on template is 1-2 palms, so 3 would be 1.5 palms. Haha. I like tomato slices with olive oil and salt also as a breakfast veggie.

I've had a rough afternoon. Sort of a dizzy spell type feeling and I'm positive it's from not eating enough. I'm done eating for today but am trying to make plans to do better tomorrow.

Here's my problem: I'm egg intolerant. That wipes out most of the breakfast options I've seen mentioned in this thread and other places. I have been having an apple with 2 tablespoons of almond butter, but I know that's not enough.

Before going paleo, when I would come home from working nights I'd wipe out a box of Krispy Kreme in 2-3 days with some milk, or I'd fry a potato and some ham and bacon, or I'd bake muffins or some other treat... And it's taking some effort to retrain myself.

I know it doesn't have to be "breakfast" food and I also know I could fast in the mornings or have bullet proof coffee or something... The thing is, I am hungry in the mornings and I think that's a good sign for me especially with my recent schedule change and getting my body back on track, so I want to reinforce that with good food.

I've had a rough afternoon. Sort of a dizzy spell type feeling and I'm positive it's from not eating enough. I'm done eating for today but am trying to make plans to do better tomorrow.

Here's my problem: I'm egg intolerant. That wipes out most of the breakfast options I've seen mentioned in this thread and other places. I have been having an apple with 2 tablespoons of almond butter, but I know that's not enough.

Before going paleo, when I would come home from working nights I'd wipe out a box of Krispy Kreme in 2-3 days with some milk, or I'd fry a potato and some ham and bacon, or I'd bake muffins or some other treat... And it's taking some effort to retrain myself.

I know it doesn't have to be "breakfast" food and I also know I could fast in the mornings or have bullet proof coffee or something... The thing is, I am hungry in the mornings and I think that's a good sign for me especially with my recent schedule change and getting my body back on track, so I want to reinforce that with good food.

Google Whole30 non egg breakfast and you'll get LOTS of options.

Archived