June 1st Support Thread

CharDoll

• Replies 731
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm looking for a grilled chicken marinade if anyone has a good one.  I guess I need to sign up for the daily emails-might help me!  I gave in to my kids (one vomitted yesterday twice after trying the new meal) and let them each have a lot of fruit instead of veggies today and chex mix but I stayed with my normal food except was starving at 11 and had almonds.  How many of you eat just an apple or just nuts or something similar when hungry before meal time?  I'm nursing my 11 month old (4-5 times in 24 hrs) and taking a water aerobics class so wondering if I need to eat more.  I'm eating a large batch of veggies, protein and avocado with each meal so think I'm eating enough fat.  Trying to not have fruit to snack.  Haven't made mayo or any dips yet but that would really help me eat more veggies for a snack or on the go.

I woke up feeling great and more energy today!  Glad to hear everyone's taste buds are working awesomely!  We are new to grassfinished beef and had one in crockpot that is plain and not much taste so need to work on more flavor too….lots to learn.  I'm still not done with Well Fed so hoping I'll learn more about snacks in there.

Well Fed best chicken ever recipe. Holy smokes it's good.

I'm a day ahead of everyone, day 4. I just wanted to chime in and say that I think the emails are great too! 

I was pretty crabby at work yesterday (day 3) It seems like things are moving pretty fast for me. I had the horrid sick headache on the 1st evening, kill all things on the 3rd day...and now I have a question for you all...

Just for the heck of it, about an hour after lunch today I tested my urine with my old ketosticks that I had in the bathroom. Seems I am in pretty deep ketosis. I used to do Atkins very successfully when I turned 30 (11 years ago) so ketosis doesn't freak me out or anything. I just wasn't expecting it. I am eating like 20x the veggies I ever have in my life right now and sticking to a palm-palm 1/2 of protein each meal. Is this okay/normal/a good thing? I'm about 20 pounds overweight and do not work out vigorously very often.(I take walks/do yoga)

I know I could add more starchy veggies back in or eat fruit...but is it necessary? I feel just fine! any comments would be appreciated.

I'm not sure how to reply to anyone..

I checked first.. coffee shop uses local produce, meats, eggs and organic everything.   Their bacon is uncured/no sugars.  We buy our beef from the local ranchers and fish in the nearby lakes.  We have a meat shop and everything is locally raised...it is the best in the west.  I have an enormous deep freezer and it's full of vege and proteins.

Sounds like a GREAT coffee shop!  :)

To reply to a specific post, click the Quote button in the lower right corer of the box containing the post.  When you quote a post, this notifies the person that someone responded to their post.

If you're not replying to a specific post and just the thread, do exactly what you did before. 

I'm looking for a grilled chicken marinade if anyone has a good one. I guess I need to sign up for the daily emails-might help me! I gave in to my kids (one vomitted yesterday twice after trying the new meal) and let them each have a lot of fruit instead of veggies today and chex mix but I stayed with my normal food except was starving at 11 and had almonds. How many of you eat just an apple or just nuts or something similar when hungry before meal time? I'm nursing my 11 month old (4-5 times in 24 hrs) and taking a water aerobics class so wondering if I need to eat more. I'm eating a large batch of veggies, protein and avocado with each meal so think I'm eating enough fat. Trying to not have fruit to snack. Haven't made mayo or any dips yet but that would really help me eat more veggies for a snack or on the go.

I woke up feeling great and more energy today! Glad to hear everyone's taste buds are working awesomely! We are new to grassfinished beef and had one in crockpot that is plain and not much taste so need to work on more flavor too….lots to learn. I'm still not done with Well Fed so hoping I'll learn more about snacks in there.

Are you eating a pre and post workout meal? That will probably help with your hunger. You can also add more protein and fat to your meals to keep you more satisfied for longer.

.  How many of you eat just an apple or just nuts or something similar when hungry before meal time?  I'm nursing my 11 month old (4-5 times in 24 hrs) and taking a water aerobics class so wondering if I need to eat more.  I'm eating a large batch of veggies, protein and avocado with each meal so think I'm eating enough fat.  Trying to not have fruit to snack.  Haven't made mayo or any dips yet but that would really help me eat more veggies for a snack or on the go.

One dip I really enjoyed was a tahini-bell pepper- cashew dip that claimed to be vegan cheese. While it is NOTHING like cheese, it is a luscious dip for veggies, and it's damn good on top of my favorite W30 breakfast (eggs on kale). Try it out: http://berlinswhimsy.typepad.com/berlins_whimsy/2011/02/savory-cashew-cheese-sauce-.html

I also think that since you're nursing, you might need more carbs (at least, that's what my midwife told me). Try adding in some sweet potato or winter squash in your meals, and maybe having half an apple with almond butter for a snack. Nursing can burn up to 800 calories per day -- you definitely need to replace them.   Have you visited the Pregnant/Breastfeeding forum? I think you'll want to check it out. A lot of women have strategies for dealing with the calories needed and overcoming a drop in supply.

OMG, I am exhausted. I seem to be skipping over The Hangover and "KILL ALL THE THINGS" and going straight into "I Need a Nap" mode. I nearly fell asleep at my desk today.  I think I need to incorporate some walking breaks in my day -- I'm used to teaching all day, and working at the computer each summer just doesn't do for me. Last summer I didn't notice because I was big and pregnant, but this time... I'm simultaneously so tired and so antsy.

Can we talk about how delicious my salads have been?  I normally DREAD salad for lunch. I even hate making them. But wow, my lunch salads have been really tasty and satisfying. I made a vinaigrette with 2 oz. olive oil, 1 1/2 oz. balsamic vinegar, 1 tsp. dijon mustard, garlic powder, and dried basil. We used to add a little drizzle of honey to our salad dressings at home and I don't get why we thought we needed that. This dressing is so tangy and subtly sweet and good!

Today is day 3 -- guess what that means? WE'RE TEN PERCENT DONE! YAYYY! Go us :D   :lol:

• Moderators

http://www.preppypaleo.com/2012/05/whole30-breakfast-recipes.html  Here is the link to the banana pumpkin smash with bacon.  I forgot to hyperlink in my previous post.

No. Neither the plantain mash with bacon or the pumpkin breakfast pudding measure up to meal planning standards. They are Whole30 breakfast failures. 

Bacon is tasty, but not a meaningful source of protein, so the mash leaves you without one of the most important breakfast ingredients - protein. The same with the pumpkin pudding, which is all carbs and fat. 

I know these kind of recipes are popular and widely reported as good during a Whole30, but they are not. I hate the idea of you spending 30 days and failing to get all the benefits that a well-done Whole30 offers, but eating meals like this means you are not getting the nutrition your body needs. 

Just started June 2 - only 2 days in - so far so good!

What you eat is a choice!!!!  That has been what I keep saying to myself!

Does anyone know of a paleo wrap/tortilla type product that works with Whole30?

Sorry, none. No Paleo wraps on a Whole30.

A popular compliant alternative is collard greens used as a wrap. Holds up better than lettuce.

I tried something new tonight.

I've never been a fan of spinach, but started adding it to my smoothies a year ago, when I was partaking of those.

Tonight I grabbed a handful of spinach and wilted it with lard and some salt. Not too bad. The bitter taste of spinach didn't exist. It was just kinda slimy. But it went well with the fried eggs I cooked up. :)

For the over salty soup....throw a raw potato in and it will remove all of the salt.  Keep it in there awhile, you don't want it to turn to mush.  Then remove the potato and it should be just right.

Thanks for the advice.  The potato thing is interesting, but I think I'm going to try and throw in some apples instead.  The sweetness factor might be enough to reduce the saltiness.  Plus Nom Nom has apples as one of her ingredients for this soup...hope that works. 

No. Neither the plantain mash with bacon or the pumpkin breakfast pudding measure up to meal planning standards. They are Whole30 breakfast failures. 

Bacon is tasty, but not a meaningful source of protein, so the mash leaves you without one of the most important breakfast ingredients - protein. The same with the pumpkin pudding, which is all carbs and fat. 

I know these kind of recipes are popular and widely reported as good during a Whole30, but they are not. I hate the idea of you spending 30 days and failing to get all the benefits that a well-done Whole30 offers, but eating meals like this means you are not getting the nutrition your body needs. 

bummer. 

Hey there everyone! Wow, this thread kinda exploded! So many happy and motivated June-1-sters!

Seems we're all doing great so far. :)

@mshera: Nice to have a "fellow mainland European" on the boat! I definitely feel you re the difficulty sourcing good meat! Maybe we can share our sources and successes on the topic?

I did "allow" myself one coffee per day even though I know my adrenals would prefer me not to. However, after reading about so many of you guys completely kicking that caffeine devil in the butt I feel motivated to go "cold turkey" too. (Holy Glob, wish me luck!)

PS: I keep my detailed log in the "Your Whole30 Log" section, if anyone's interested.

Let's power on, guys and girls! <3

Hello Peebles!

Sorry I didn't reply to this earlier. Happy to see I'm not the only European on board! Looking forward to follow your progress. Where are you from btw? You might have mentioned it, so sorry if I didn't pay attention :P

I'm so happy, cause I managed to order grassfed beef and whole30 approved bacon, and it will arrive tomorrow morning. This is going to cost me, but I'm sure it'll be worth it.

Keep on rockin'!

Today was good, although not having any coffee means I've felt kind of zombie-ish all day long. BUT, the food was good and my hunger and cravings were totally manageable.

Breakfast was three scrambled eggs and a banana with almond butter

Lunch was a big green salad with two salmon cakes (canned salmon, avocado, flax meal, spices), topped with avocado slices, olive oil, and balsamic

For a snack I had maybe a half ounce of almonds

Dinner was a bowl of creamy broccoli soup (broccoli, cauliflower, chicken broth, coconut milk, nutritional yeast, spices) and a sausage.

Today was also a grocery shopping day, and we did a big Costco run yesterday. The house is fully stocked with meat, seafood, olive and coconut oil, almond and sunbutter, flax, chia, nuts, coconut and almond milk, and our weekly CSA means the fridge is literally over-full with veggies. Plus I made my own ghee today! So... I think I have enough food to see me through now :-D

mshera, can you share your jerky recipe with us? I can't find any that doesn't have sugar and it's one snack I definitely want to have on hand!

Mads! I'm so sorry I didn't have time to reply before.

I was inspired by www.stupideasypaleo.com to make the beef jerky, but since I can't find coconut aminos in this country(no one I've asked here have even heard about it!! But now I've ordered it from iherb.com :D) I decided to try my luck and just invent it myself, following the steps on how to cook it.

The problem with my recipe is that I didn't really measure the quantity of the things, but it was more or less like this:

1,2 kg of lean beef (I put it in the freezer for about an hour before I cut it in thin slices, tip from stupideasypaleo.com)

In a plastic bag I put about half a cup of balsamic vinegar and half a cup of apple cider vinegar

I added a bunch of spices, and since I love spicy food I put a lot of chili spice, quite a lot of salt (I used herbamare, sea salt with organic herbs), pepper, garlic powder and paprika. I put it all in the plastic bag and made sure all of the meat got some marinade to swim in. Then I put it in the fridge overnigth. Next morning I laid them out on an oven rack, covered the bottom of the oven with aluminium foil. I had them in the oven on 75C (CELSIUS) for about 3 hours, then I took them out and flipped them over, and put them back in for another 2,5 hours.

They turned out very well, if I may say so myself :)

Here's the link to muy inspiration

http://stupideasypaleo.com/2012/04/18/recipe-beef-jerky/

and I can't wait till my parcel from iherb arrives.

I love the chewy meat, and the fact that when I do snack on this, it's so much protein!

Hope this was of some kind of help :)

-stay super!

Thanks for the suggestions yesterday.  Definitely going to add more fat and eating more.  Last night I couldn't fall asleep (I always go to sleep way fast and sleep well unless the baby wakes me up).  Hoping that was a one night thing!!  I was up 2 hours later than normal prepping food for today.  Still feeling good though!  Happy day 5!

Hello everybody!

Hope y'all are doing well :)

As for me, these have been busy days. I am looking for another job and have been to a few job interviews, so this month will be challenging in more than one way.

I have a headache today, and think that comes from the lack of sugar. I used to have a piece of chocolate (70% containing cane sugar) almost every day!! :o Didn't even think of it as sweets, cause it was a habit. One piece to get some energy before work, one piece after dinner.. one piece while chatting with my roommate over a cup of tea or a glass of red wine.. oh my!

ANyways, I know it'll pass! :) ANd I feel strong. I've been going out every night (that's what a single 29 year old woman do around here in this country where being social is extremely important.) and whilst my company have been having wine or ice cream, I have been perfectly fine with sparkling water and fresh lime or a cup of tea. THey think I'm nuts (they thought I was before the challenge since I don't eat bread) but they're interested in what I'm doing and why, so it leads to interesting discussions :)

My meals have been based around a decent size of protein with delicious veggies and some fats (avocado mostly, and I cook in ghee or coconut oil. It works fine. I haven't had the time to get into any specific new recipes after I started the challenge and usually ends up with just using what I feel like eating and scramble it together. And I love my beef jerky as a snack between lunch and dinner.

I have probably gone a bit crazy on the fruits, having about 3 fruits a day. I'll try to keep it down to 1-2 and rather snack on a raw carrot :)

Can I ask a question to an experienced whole30 member?

I used to bake these kind of crisp bread as a substitute to bread when I first went paleo. In the Northern part of Europe these kind of crisp breads are a common part of our diet they contain a lot more fiber than regular bread and often more seeds and kernels. The regular ones contains grain, but I used to make a paleo friendly version, very simple but quite filling and I like the taste - although my mum says they taste like sawdust :o:D

SO the question is, are these whole30 compliant?

1 cup brown flax seeds

1 cup sesame seeds

1/2 cup sunflower kernes

1/2 cup pumpkin seeds

1/2 cup chopped almonds

a dash of sea salt

2 eggs

and you would bake it in the oven for 10 minutes on a high degree, take it out and cut in into square pieces and back in the oven, lower the temperature and let it bake till it's dry. I would eat 1-2 pieces a day, max.

I haven't had this in a week or so, cause I get tired of food really quick and need a great variety in my diet. But I was wondering if I could eat them while doing whole30 if I feel like it?

-all my best to all of you

Good morning fellow June firsters! I hope everyone is having a good day 4. The last 24 hours for me have been miserable.

I've been doing well getting the variety of foods on my plate, but I really have a difficult time eating them all. I feel like this is way more food than I normally eat every day. Yesterday I could hardly get through a salad even at lunch. Then in the afternoon I got extreme vertigo and was down for the count the rest of the day. I squeezed in some avocado and mango salad at dinner time with a couple bites of chicken. I woke up still dizzy this morning, which isnt normal for me.

I do have Ménière's disease which includes various bouts of vertigo. Usually after I medicate and sleep it off I'm fine. I'm wondering if I'm not getting enough sodium, since I usually eat low-sodium to begin with. Most of these vegetables probably don't have any at all and the meats are lean too. Anyway I'm still very weak shaky nauseous dizzy not hungry at all. I just don't know what to do.

Does anybody else feel this way, like it's almost too much food to eat in a day? Anyone getting dizzy? How do you deal with it? I don't want to Cave in I really want to do this! I've prepped and prepped and prepped. my fridge and pantry are full of W30 foods! But I just feel so so miserable with the dizziness I wonder if maybe this isn't something for me to do because of the Meniere's. I think what I'm feeling today is much more than the hangover phase

Good Morning Everyone!!

Day 3 is done!! I was so tired yesterday I'm pretty sure I fell asleep for about 10 minutes on a park bench near my job LOL.

Last night I slept so well I didn't want it to end. The food has been pretty good so far. this week I am keeping it simple so I don't get too overwhelmed. Im really excited for my lettuce wrapped burger with homemade avocado spread. Its my first time making it and I hope it tastes Awesome! :P

Any ideas or recipes for the avocado spread??

Can I ask a question to an experienced whole30 member?

I used to bake these kind of crisp bread as a substitute to bread when I first went paleo. In the Northern part of Europe these kind of crisp breads are a common part of our diet they contain a lot more fiber than regular bread and often more seeds and kernels. The regular ones contains grain, but I used to make a paleo friendly version, very simple but quite filling and I like the taste - although my mum says they taste like sawdust :o:D

SO the question is, are these whole30 compliant?

While the ingredients are certainly compliant this recipe would fall under the paleo-izing rules of the Whole30 and should be saved for afterwards. Just a reminder for those that are not familiar with this rule:

No Paleo-ifying baked goods, desserts, or junk foods. Trying to shove your old, unhealthy diet into a shiny new Whole30 mold will ruin your program faster than you can say “Paleo Pop-Tarts.†This means no desserts or junk food made with “approved†ingredients—no banana-egg pancakes, almond-flour muffins, flourless brownies, or coconut milk ice cream. Don't try to replicate junk food during your 30 days! That misses the point of the Whole30 entirely - See more at: http://whole30.com/whole30-program-rules/#sthash.JQjfBkem.dpuf

Archived