June 1st Support Thread

CharDoll

HI all,

I just finished day 4 (started June 2nd)!!  This is my first Whole 30.  My husband sent me the link to the program six months ago, and asked if I wanted to do it.  I read through all the information and replied "are you crazy?!?  You have to give up EVERYTHING!"  Lol.  Fast foward SIX MONTHS later and I am finally on this journey.  I am SO glad I have made this commitment to improve not only myself, but for my family. My husband also started two days behind me.  We have three boys - 10 1/2 yr old and 9 year old twins. I feel like I have a lot to learn to teach them good eating habits for life.  

Tonight I made the olive oil mayo, dreamy avocado dressing and the pantry vinaigrette from the It Starts With Food book.  They are all so good!  I made a spinach salad with lots of eggs and veggies for dinner, and topped it with the avocado dressing.  It was amazing.  

That brings me to two questions...

One...bacon.  I made the Gwaltney no sugar added bacon and put it on our salad.  I've read the bacon manifesto...and know I should limit bacon or just eliminate it...but the hubby loves it and its nice to add in here and there.  Any thoughts on that specific brand as far as W30 compliance?

Two...how much of that avocado dressing should i be using on my salad?  

I'm so glad to have found this support thread. It is nice to have a place to refer to with other people who are on the same journey as I am.   :)

• Replies 731
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HI all,

I just finished day 4 (started June 2nd)!!  This is my first Whole 30.  My husband sent me the link to the program six months ago, and asked if I wanted to do it.  I read through all the information and replied "are you crazy?!?  You have to give up EVERYTHING!"  Lol.  Fast foward SIX MONTHS later and I am finally on this journey.  I am SO glad I have made this commitment to improve not only myself, but for my family. My husband also started two days behind me.  We have three boys - 10 1/2 yr old and 9 year old twins. I feel like I have a lot to learn to teach them good eating habits for life.  

Tonight I made the olive oil mayo, dreamy avocado dressing and the pantry vinaigrette from the It Starts With Food book.  They are all so good!  I made a spinach salad with lots of eggs and veggies for dinner, and topped it with the avocado dressing.  It was amazing.  

That brings me to two questions...

One...bacon.  I made the Gwaltney no sugar added bacon and put it on our salad.  I've read the bacon manifesto...and know I should limit bacon or just eliminate it...but the hubby loves it and its nice to add in here and there.  Any thoughts on that specific brand as far as W30 compliance?

Two...how much of that avocado dressing should i be using on my salad?  

I'm so glad to have found this support thread. It is nice to have a place to refer to with other people who are on the same journey as I am.   :)

If you are craving something "gloppy", try Well Fed pad thai.  When I did my first whole30 I craved something that I could stuff in my mouth and wasn't a big chunk of meat.  I was addicted to this for months.

http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2011/05/08/paleo-pad-thai/

Regarding the pumpkin banana mash fail, you could try roasting pumpkin or sweet potatoes with pumpkin pie spices sprinkled on them; or make a sweet potato or pumpkin mash with those spices.  That can't be a "no", can it?  Just don't add the banana.

If you are craving something "gloppy", try Well Fed pad thai.  When I did my first whole30 I craved something that I could stuff in my mouth and wasn't a big chunk of meat.  I was addicted to this for months.

http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2011/05/08/paleo-pad-thai/

Regarding the pumpkin banana mash fail, you could try roasting pumpkin or sweet potatoes with pumpkin pie spices sprinkled on them; or make a sweet potato or pumpkin mash with those spices.  That can't be a "no", can it?  Just don't add the banana.

Oooooooh....pad thai...thanks!

Day 6, done! I'm finding it ridiculously easy to eat according the the meal template, and I'm worrying because I haven't had any cravings for foods I can't have. (Yup, I'm a worrier. If I have nothing to worry about, I worry about not worrying?) I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop.

I had really bad bloating for days 4 and 5, really painful just under my ribcage. Today was fine though, so fingers crossed that's over. I guess my digestive enzymes had to adjust to all the extra meat. Especially red meat - I don't usually eat much red meat, and I'm trying to incorporate it at least every few days. Even ate liver tonight, I'm not a big fan but I'll try to develop the taste for it. It was actually the best liver I've ever had, slow cooked with tomatoes, veggies and beef mince.

So... my pants are definitely not feeling any looser. My acne has been extra bad this week (a week earlier than my usual hormonal acne), so something's going on with my hormones as well. At least something is happening, right? :)

Congrats everyone for getting this far! Yay us!

Day 6, done! I'm finding it ridiculously easy to eat according the the meal template, and I'm worrying because I haven't had any cravings for foods I can't have. (Yup, I'm a worrier. If I have nothing to worry about, I worry about not worrying?) I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Hey cactuscat (awesome nickname btw! ;) ),

I can relate! I find my meals super yummy, too. I don't feel deprived at all. (Except for my chewing gum and coffee addiction which is pretty terrible... but that's not really about food. :rolleyes: )

However, I kinda start getting that "not-interested" feeling about my meals, no matter how good. That "every meal needs meat" etc. Nothing seems alluring even if I'm really hungry! It's weird. But I read that a lot of people go through this.

I urgently need to go food-shopping anyway tonight (my fridge is empty!), so I'll make a list of my favorites and get a bunch of that. Hope that helps a little with the meh-food-apathy.

I urgently need to go food-shopping anyway tonight (my fridge is empty!), so I'll make a list of my favorites and get a bunch of that. Hope that helps a little with the meh-food-apathy.

True - I'll probably feel more excited about food after grocery shopping tomorrow morning, too. Getting a free-range chicken to roast always gives me a little boost!  :) And I'm addicted to making chicken stock!

I have a slight headache today. I think it's from allergies. Could also be because yesterday I didn't eat enough in the morning and at lunch and ate too much at dinner. Usually I'm the other way around. It works much better for me to have a big breakfast, medium lunch and smaller dinner. What's that expression? Breakfast like a king and dinner like a pauper?

Happy Day 6 Everyone!!!

I see a few people reporting that they are seeing changes in the way their clothing is fitting and that is GREAT!!! I haven't seen a change in the way my clothing is fitting me yet, but that is OK because I feel really good about myself and the fact that I made it to day 6 :D .

I've got some energy flowing and I have successfully ninja kicked the sugar dragon in the face for 6 days in a row, I mean seriously its like it never dies haha  :ph34r:

Although I do want to lose weight I am trying to remember that for me this is more about over all health. I love reading everyone's posts and reading the good news. Keep up the good work. ;)

Yesterday when it came time for dinner, I was hungry. I wrote in my log that I've been eating a lot of eggs/fish/veggies because they are what I've had on hand and I need to (for financial reasons) eat what's around before I go to the store for more. But y'all...I need to eat some meat. The store opens at 7 here, and I will be going there upon opening to get some more substantial proteins to have around.

Other than realizing I'm not eating enough, everything is pretty good on this end! My friend who is doing w30 with me, I learned through Facebook, is going to Mexico for the weekend with work friends. Those trips are always for 2 things: partying hard and eating tacos. So I hope she will stay strong through the trip and stay w30! I can't control her, of course, but I can hope for the best for her :) 

How's everyone doing today?

Good morning! Glad to see people are feeling good about making it so far :-)

CharDoll: I hope your headache isn't too bothersome...

Anyone else facing budget headaches shopping for the whole 30? I spent more than 3x what I normally spend for a week, and we are already almost out of veggies! Our fridge was BURSTING on Sunday. I didn't know it was humanly possible to eat this much. 

Going back to the store today to stock up.

Good morning! Glad to see people are feeling good about making it so far :-)

CharDoll: I hope your headache isn't too bothersome...

Anyone else facing budget headaches shopping for the whole 30? I spent more than 3x what I normally spend for a week, and we are already almost out of veggies! Our fridge was BURSTING on Sunday. I didn't know it was humanly possible to eat this much. 

Going back to the store today to stock up.

I think once you get the hang of things and learn what you like/don't like, it'll smooth out. It did for me when I first went paleo. Now I buy most of what I can in bulk and everything else I get at the local grocery store. It's rounded out to be about the same as when I was eating SAD and eating out all the time.

I think once you get the hang of things and learn what you like/don't like, it'll smooth out. It did for me when I first went paleo. Now I buy most of what I can in bulk and everything else I get at the local grocery store. It's rounded out to be about the same as when I was eating SAD and eating out all the time.

Thanks. I hope so. We do have some meat left, so that helps, and this week I won't have to buy any cooking fat; last week I bought coconut oil, ghee, and a bunch of new spices. 

That still won't do. The issue isn't the banana, it's the fact that there's no protein in this meal.  Try this Pumpkin Noatmeal recipe (I hate these names. You'd only think it's an oatmeal substitute if you'd never seen oatmeal):

2 eggs, beaten

1/2 cup mashed pure pumpkin

1/2 small banana, mashed

1 cup almond milk

2-3 oz. ground, toasted nuts and seeds (a variety is great, I like mixing chia, almonds, pecans, and cashews for this)

1/4 tsp each Ginger, cinnamon, and nutmeg

Mix the eggs and pumpkin. Toast your nuts over medium heat in just a tiiiiiny bit of coconut oil. Add the the milk and banana, stir thoroughly, and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Slowly whisk in the pumpkin-egg mixture. Add the spices. Continue to stir over medium heat until everything starts to bubble and thicken. 

It's SO GOOD and will keep you full for hours and hours!

Thanks. I hope so. We do have some meat left, so that helps, and this week I won't have to buy any cooking fat; last week I bought coconut oil, ghee, and a bunch of new spices. 

YES, it does get pricy!  Do you have the option to buy in bulk?  We have a Costco membership and a chest freezer, so I literally buy 6 weeks' worth of meat and staples at once. It saves us a LOT of money.  Granted, this means we aren't doing all grass-fed as recommended, but I work at a non-profit, my husband is in school, and we have a baby -- organic is NOT happening on our budget!!

We also bought a CSA share before husby went back to school, which saves us a lot. All I'll have to buy for the next 24 days are eggs, avocados, the occasional out of season starchy veggie, coconut milk, and nuts. 

I know it's probably too late for making those changes for this W30, and I totally get that this may not be an option for everyone! But it might be worth considering for your next W30.

I'm not a boxer but I've been shadow boxing all of my life...fighting against the perfect size and cookie cutter image we're all supposed to have.

I fell asleep on the couch again.  I think Smokin' Joe Frazier knocked me out.   My father is living and he is a boxing fan.  It must be the adrenals getting a rest from all of that coffee I used to drink.   I can hardly go a cup of coffee from the pot, it tastes like acid. My husband rolls his eyes at my new program.   The 'fight' is won by keeping your mouth shut...today, I'm dancing under the lights..even if no one else can see me.

Keep up the "can do" attitude! I know how rough it can make it to have a spouse that isn't behind you 100%.

So... my pants are definitely not feeling any looser. My acne has been extra bad this week (a week earlier than my usual hormonal acne), so something's going on with my hormones as well. At least something is happening, right? :)

Congrats everyone for getting this far! Yay us!

Oops, I sent that reply wrong w the quote. Anyway, cactuscat, I was gonna say the same thing! My acne has gotten worse! (And it's also not hormonal for me). I wonder if maybe our bodies have to get gunk out first?

I think that this may be the case.  I've not had much acne since going paleo - it's been a huge change for me, but this week I've got 6 or 7 small closed comedones popping up.  I think it's "detoxing" of sorts.

YES, it does get pricy!  Do you have the option to buy in bulk?  We have a Costco membership and a chest freezer, so I literally buy 6 weeks' worth of meat and staples at once. It saves us a LOT of money.  Granted, this means we aren't doing all grass-fed as recommended, but I work at a non-profit, my husband is in school, and we have a baby -- organic is NOT happening on our budget!!

We also bought a CSA share before husby went back to school, which saves us a lot. All I'll have to buy for the next 24 days are eggs, avocados, the occasional out of season starchy veggie, coconut milk, and nuts. 

I know it's probably too late for making those changes for this W30, and I totally get that this may not be an option for everyone! But it might be worth considering for your next W30.

I do shop at Sam's and that helps. They don't have a huge variety of veggies, but I can get a lot there. I still need to go to Kroger for this upcoming week, but it shouldn't be as bad. Still not sure how we could sustain this long term, but we are making the investment for this month :-)

Help! I have the Friday night munchies! DH is at Bible Study and the baby is asleep and I just want some comfort food!!

I ate a good, whole 30 dinner, so it's not about hunger, just cravings. I don't have anything off limits in the house, but I am resisting the call from the Almond Butter....

Archived