June 1st Support Thread

CharDoll

We had donuts at the office today, too. They didn't even interest me. We must be growing up! B)

Look into T-Tapp. The body workout plus is 15 minutes and it is a really good workout, and it might even help with your herniated disc. It's all isometrics, no weight lifting. Just you and your TV.

• Replies 731
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used to eat freeze dried fruit from the health food store.  Even though there's no added sugar, I now see from the label it's very high in carbos and fruit sugar.  It tastes like styrofoam, anyway.

I'm limiting my fruit until the end of the day.   I find if I eat fruit in the morning, it doesn't kill my appetite for dairy sugars (cream).  I don't get that same energy boost from fruit.

I eat one serving of fruit right after lunch. It works out well for me. I made the mistake of eating it after breakfast one morning and craved sugar all day long.

I've never tasted a Krispy Kreme donut, we don't have any donut shops...but I found myself thinking about one after someone posted they used to eat Krispy Kremes with milk.   I can't read about the food cravings anymore because they're planting thoughts in my head.  Power of suggestion.   There's only one grocery store and it has a small bakery.   It's all very basic and nothing there you would ever miss.   I'm grateful that I don't have the extra temptation of fast food joints and tasty treats.   Gas station pre-packaged sandwiches are about as fancy as it gets.   

I live in a very large city, and everything imaginable is within a short drives distance of me. Thankfully, I live a mile from work and walk most days, so I don't see or smell the varieties of food that exist.

I have even started going the backroads to Kroger so I don't drive down the main road and see and smell the fast food restaurants.

How did it go quaintjack?

Wine for me was an almost daily necessity. A week in & I'm doing good. Last night I did find myself sipping a lot of water instead of some sort of alcohol watching Friday night football.

I survived! It was easier than I thought. Luckily my girlfriend is not a big drinker and her hubby was happy to order wine by the glass. Neither are 'pushers'. I stuck with my water. I just told them I had given up wine for the month and they accepted it. 

The menu turned out to be harder than I thought. We were at my fav Italian restaurant (their choice not mine) and they know me so they were rather surprised at my choices. I just told them that I was not eating grains or potatoes or wheat for health reasons. I had a beet salad but I missed the part about goat cheese on the menu and I dutifully ate my way around it. I had salmon and veggies without the cream sauce for dinner but the salmon was so good with just a squeeze of lemon that I didn't miss it. In fact my friends hubby looked at my plate and said 'thats how we should all be eating- it's like it came straight from the farmers market' :-) I didn't say a word, just smiled ... 

Back at the house the dark chocolate came out and I resisted that too. However, I did dream of 'accidentally' eating a pastry of some kind last night (which I rarely used to eat anyway?) You know when you used to eat mindlessly without thinking about it? It was gone before I remembered I wasn't supposed to be eating it! Then there was a glass of wine, which I started to sip, suddenly remembered and then spat out! Then I felt SO guilty for even having the taste in my mouth and then was wondering whether I'd have to confess on my blog and start again. LOL crazy! It was enough to keep me on the straight and narrow to know that's how I would feel in my dreams!

Breakfast this morning was funny too. Our friends are very at home at our house and so we all eat breakfast by just helping ourselves. I was last to eat, and I had some leftover smoked salmon, spinach, avocado, and blueberries. There was some very envious looks and again a comment about how healthy my breakfast was. 

Just as they left this morning around 11 am, they both commented that they had better get going so they could eat on their way as they were already hungry. Not me. I had enough protein and fat for my breakfast. I feel SO smug :-)

I started my first Whole30 on June 2nd. Had a sales rep bring a hot dozen of Krispy Kreme donuts to my store and I was not even tempted. This was on about day 3 I guess. My sweet tooth is gone. My cheese tooth is growing.

I started my first Whole30 on June 2nd. Had a sales rep bring a hot dozen of Krispy Kreme donuts to my store and I was not even tempted. This was on about day 3 I guess. My sweet tooth is gone. My cheese tooth is growing.

I totally get where you're coming from! There's so much good cheese here in Spain (well, almost all over the world!), and I love it. I can live without cream and yoghurt and any other dairy products, but I really miss cheese.

If you like using cream cheese etc, I've got a tip for you :) I made cauliflower hummus today, to have a "dip" for carrots, cucumbers etc and have it as a salsa to my dinner. It turned out quite good, although I will use less lemon juice next time, and maybe add some sundried tomatoes and/or fresh basil leaves.

I found the link to the recipe on the whole 30 "can I have" site, and you'll find it here: http://livinggrainlessly.com/2013/05/27/cauliflower-hummus/ and it says lime juice (I used lemon juice, but I recommend maybe half and try as you go)

- peace

What kind of nuts is everyone eating? I keep looking at the store, but all of the types at the grocery seem to have canola oil or soybean oil...or something else that doesn't seem compliant. I bought raw sunflower nuts, but haven't a clue what to do with them!

I like sunflower seeds in salads occasionally, and raw cashews in stirfry.

I live in a very large city, and everything imaginable is within a short drives distance of me. Thankfully, I live a mile from work and walk most days, so I don't see or smell the varieties of food that exist.

I have even started going the backroads to Kroger so I don't drive down the main road and see and smell the fast food restaurants.

I recently moved to a small village, and all we have is a vegetable shop! So perfect. My walk to work doesn't pass a single temptation these days. :)

I came really close to going off the Whole30 today.

I have a bridal shower tomorrow and I was asked to bring an appetizer.

It's an Italian themed shower...

Putting together a sausage, cheese and olive platter WITHOUT HAVING ANY almost killed me....salami, pepperoni, mozzarella, provolone, kalamatas. SOOOO hard!

I'll take that as a win.

Giving the extras to the boyfriend and his girls tonight so it's out of my house.

Putting together a sausage, cheese and olive platter WITHOUT HAVING ANY almost killed me....salami, pepperoni, mozzarella, provolone, kalamatas. SOOOO hard!

I'll take that as a win.

Giving the extras to the boyfriend and his girls tonight so it's out of my house.

Hey, some of that is whole30 approved! Olives... some sausage (no added nitrates and sugar) roasted veggies. You CAN do it! :-)

I survived! It was easier than I thought. Luckily my girlfriend is not a big drinker and her hubby was happy to order wine by the glass. Neither are 'pushers'. I stuck with my water. I just told them I had given up wine for the month and they accepted it. 

The menu turned out to be harder than I thought. We were at my fav Italian restaurant (their choice not mine) and they know me so they were rather surprised at my choices. I just told them that I was not eating grains or potatoes or wheat for health reasons. I had a beet salad but I missed the part about goat cheese on the menu and I dutifully ate my way around it. I had salmon and veggies without the cream sauce for dinner but the salmon was so good with just a squeeze of lemon that I didn't miss it. In fact my friends hubby looked at my plate and said 'thats how we should all be eating- it's like it came straight from the farmers market' :-) I didn't say a word, just smiled ... 

Back at the house the dark chocolate came out and I resisted that too. However, I did dream of 'accidentally' eating a pastry of some kind last night (which I rarely used to eat anyway?) You know when you used to eat mindlessly without thinking about it? It was gone before I remembered I wasn't supposed to be eating it! Then there was a glass of wine, which I started to sip, suddenly remembered and then spat out! Then I felt SO guilty for even having the taste in my mouth and then was wondering whether I'd have to confess on my blog and start again. LOL crazy! It was enough to keep me on the straight and narrow to know that's how I would feel in my dreams!

Breakfast this morning was funny too. Our friends are very at home at our house and so we all eat breakfast by just helping ourselves. I was last to eat, and I had some leftover smoked salmon, spinach, avocado, and blueberries. There was some very envious looks and again a comment about how healthy my breakfast was. 

Just as they left this morning around 11 am, they both commented that they had better get going so they could eat on their way as they were already hungry. Not me. I had enough protein and fat for my breakfast. I feel SO smug :-)

Well done!

I have been dreaming that I eat something I shouldn't too :-)

I'll take that as a win.

Great job! 

Way to go for all of you who are resisting temptation in some difficult situations!

Hubby grilled steak and veggies tonight. It was so delicious! The first meal I haven't prepared since we started...

I've also had dreams that I ate something off plan. I can't remember what it was though.

Day 7 challenging but did it.

Exhausted from late night out but got nice walk in. After lunch tired so took nap instead of emotional snacking.

Woke up and kept busy til dinner. Thank gawd for crockpot pork I turned on in morning, dinner done in 3 minutes since I had roasted veggies and sweet potatoes cooked earlier in week.

Anyway after some emotional stress all day, I ate a big meal but still hungry. Wanted to binge but calmed myself down (win! For me) and ate a couple more bites of pork. Felt better. And yes when I ate pork I did ask myself would I eat fish and broccoli if it was in front of me! So I guess I was hungry. :)

I don't want to binge/purge. I'm working hard to undo that piece that has been my crutch for much of my life. I'm tired of that. I love eating good and healing my insides. It's nice not to wake up feeling guilty and loathing myself.

Thank you for your support.

Day 7 challenging but did it.

Exhausted from late night out but got nice walk in. After lunch tired so took nap instead of emotional snacking.

Woke up and kept busy til dinner. Thank gawd for crockpot pork I turned on in morning, dinner done in 3 minutes since I had roasted veggies and sweet potatoes cooked earlier in week.

Anyway after some emotional stress all day, I ate a big meal but still hungry. Wanted to binge but calmed myself down (win! For me) and ate a couple more bites of pork. Felt better. And yes when I aye pork I did ask myself would I eat fish and broccoli if it was in front of me! So I guess I was hungry. :)

I don't wasn't to binge/purge. I'm working hard to undo that piece that has been my crutch for much of my life. I'm tired of that. I love eating good and healing my insides. It's nice not to wake up feeling guilty and loathing myself.

Thank you for your support.

You sound like you are really taking the principles to heart! 

DH and I were both really tired today. The timeline hasn't been very accurate for us, so far, but it is dead on about the exhaustion on days 6-7. 

A pat on the back to all of those who have made it through tempting situations! Go you!

I have to attend a bridal shower tomorrow, but I am not worried. My plan is to eat before I go, sip water, and nibble the fruit/veg tray that is always present at these functions.

Historyjunkie, I had steak tonight, too! Except my veg was asparagus, plus I ate a sweet potato. I really feel like I need those extra carbs right now.

Day 8 for me (being in Australia) and I have to admit I seriously did think about quitting today. I've eaten really clean and paleo for about 18 months now so the start of the Whole 30 was not as rough for me as some. Today however, I just felt like "Why am I doing this?" In all honestly, I don't feel any different from when I started! Has anyone else felt like this?

I am doing this to try and fix a tendonitis problem I have been carrying for nearly a year now so I understand that it can take time to heal (more than 8 days!!) I read in the It Starts With Food book it took 6 weeks for Dallas's tendonitis to heal. I know I need to do this for 30 days to really notice a difference. I guess today is just a frustration/down kinda day.

How is everyone else going?

Day 8 for me (being in Australia) and I have to admit I seriously did think about quitting today. I've eaten really clean and paleo for about 18 months now so the start of the Whole 30 was not as rough for me as some. Today however, I just felt like "Why am I doing this?" In all honestly, I don't feel any different from when I started! Has anyone else felt like this?

I am doing this to try and fix a tendonitis problem I have been carrying for nearly a year now so I understand that it can take time to heal (more than 8 days!!) I read in the It Starts With Food book it took 6 weeks for Dallas's tendonitis to heal. I know I need to do this for 30 days to really notice a difference. I guess today is just a frustration/down kinda day.

I'm feeling a little discouraged this morning, to be honest. However, I know that I am progressing as I no longer feel bloated, which  makes me feel good.

I wish I could check my weight, but I know that is a no-no. I really want to see some other sort of good sign that this is working. But I am not going to weigh myself. I made a promise to myself to not let my weight be a factor during this challenge, and I'm going to stick to my guns!

I've resisted so many temptations so far, and I'll be damned if I let one weeks progress be for naught. I'm going to a graduation party today and I know it's going to be hard, but I'll be prepared. I'm going to eat a protein and fat heavy meal for lunch and bring nuts along with me. Oh, and I made deviled eggs, so I know there will be at least one thing there I can eat if I get hungry!

My tendonitis is pretty much gone, and I've been doing paleo off and on since August of 2012. Give it time. :)

Sorry for being so quiet, girls and guys! Not much time online lately...

I'm so struggling with staying within the rules or rather the meal template  these days. Summer finally arrived here and it's killer hot. All I want to eat (if at all) is some fresh, juicy watermelon and iced coffee... :/

Anybody else suffering from terrible summer-gaga? Maybe some suggestions for "refreshing" Whole30 meals?

Hmmm, maybe smoked fish on a huge salad could be a compromise. Anything cold/that doesn't have to be cooked. I just feel repelled from eating anything fried and I'm not craving meat at all when it's that hot. Aaach, I'm a true child of winter, I hate the heat.

Archived