This just isn't working out.....

So I'm 23 days into the program, and I feel horrible. I haven't eat any grains, dairy, legumes, sugar (except in fruit). I've done a better job over the last week and a half of eating more carbs to help the hunger (sweet pot, parsnips, beets, squash) since my main form of exercise is long mtn bike rides a few days a week.

I just made dinner (my diet is mostly organic), 1/4 onion, kale, olive oil salt pepper, another pan - 1/4 onion, squash, Salt pepper, olive oil (normally use coc oil, grapeseed oil and or ghee), and had half of each dish, 5 chicken meatballs with just some spice in them. 2-3 min after I was done eating, major cramps set it - like aliens in my stomach - bloating, need to poop feeling...

I usually get these feelings later in the afternoon, or in the evening. I also get them on my rides. I make my own energy balls for the rides, dates, goji berries, sprouted almonds, cashews, sprouted pumpking and sesame seeds, coconut shavings, salt.... also will eat a lara bar and rxbar or epic bar on rides. again - get cramps as soon as  I eat.

Tried paleo last year and got severe cramps while on a bike trip at dinner - like cramps high up in my stomach - almost took me to the floor. saw a Dr. - he said I need to make sure im taking some insoluble or soluable - can't remember fiber - since im only getting fiber from veggies and it's not making it all the way out... (I was still eating seeds and nuts).

So, I take enzymes with foods, (3) psyllium husk pills at once, once a day, don't drink water with meals, strong probiotics every other day, away of fodmaps, and they don't seem to be any worse than anything else..

My bowels are far from consistent - seems to be that there is a lot of fat in them. may be getting 20-35grams a meal - 3x a day, of fat, and 10-20 grams with nuts and seeds snacks 1-2 x a day. definitely eating more meat and fat now since I ditched the grains - but this seems a little intense for "my body is just getting used to it".

also, I used to have heartburn and took ppi's for 10 years, realized that if I eat healthier and didn't drink any liquid with meals, no heartburn. been off the meds for 3 years, and now I'm getting heartburn.. not good.

any suggestions?

Yep, they could - it may be just one thing too - if my dad eats onions (any amount!), they go straight through him, and he's gross to be around for a day, but other FODMAPs are fine.

Here's a link to a list of FODMAP foods (it's pretty long!) http://www.ibsdiets.org/fodmap-diet/fodmap-food-list/.

Maybe start with eliminating all of the onion and fruits (including the Larabars and what-not that contain dried fruits) for a week and see how you feel. Then you can either get more aggressive and eliminate all the other FODMAP vege for a week, or if you feel better, start adding things in one at a time.

This is coming from a place of layman's ignorance (but you could def google!) but it's possible that healing your stomach from all of the grains, etc, has caused it to react more strongly to things that previously would have been mild annoyances because your gut doesn't have the layer of protective build up anymore (sounds like a good thing but isn't!).

Guest WholeStanley

I went low fodmap for 6 months two years ago as I was having your exact same symptons - and even now that i've been able to add a few back in (i.e. avocados dont effect me) onion is still a major no no for me, even the smallest amount leaves me in agony and needed a toilet trip. I think onion is often a problem for people so would really recommend leaving that out of your diet from now on and see if it makes a difference

I am fodmap sensitive and even food that has shared a chopping board with onion gives me that reaction. You may also be having trouble digesting the fat, it can take quite some time for your system to adjust. Nuts are pretty high in fodmaps and can cause other digestive issues. I am in agony within 2 hours of having psyllium... Even though its not a fodmap, I'm surprised more people don't react to it as it is a gut irritant and seed husks.

Good luck working it out.

• Moderators

Going low Fodmap for a month sounds promising. Here is the Whole30 low fodmap shopping list: http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-shopping-list-FODMAP.pdf

You are also eating a lot of nuts and seeds. These fat sources can be a big cause of digestive distress and unfortunately, many people eat a lot of them when they "go paleo." Cutting nuts and seeds for a month may be very helpful. 

Cutting something out for just a few days does not permit healing to take place, but 30 days without irritation can make a big difference. Not everyone can go back to eating their problem foods, but I recommend not even experimenting with reintroductions until you have significant time away from the food that is causing trouble.  

I am not an expert. My chiropractor recommended that I drink aloe Vera juice to help coat my stomach and intestines and promote healing. I am not having your symptoms but it might help and I don't think it can hurt. it doesn't taste very good. I did a shot of 4 oz every morning and chased it with water. You can also mix it with something if you are not doing a whole30. Good luck!

The nuts and seeds stood out to me immediately.  Try meals without them -- or better yet, entire days without them -- and see if you still experience the cramping.  If the idea of going without them makes you panicky or stresses you out, they may be a real problem food for you and it would be a good time to find other foods to rely on anyway.  ;)

Thanks for all the replies.

I have a few questions:

1) How am I supposed to get my fat intake in without avacados, nuts and seeds? All meat? That sounds like a lot of cholesterol.

2) My endurance sports - are there any suggestions on how to perform well with no dates, nuts or seeds?

Going low Fodmap for a month sounds promising. Here is the Whole30 low fodmap shopping list: http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-shopping-list-FODMAP.pdf

You are also eating a lot of nuts and seeds. These fat sources can be a big cause of digestive distress and unfortunately, many people eat a lot of them when they "go paleo." Cutting nuts and seeds for a month may be very helpful. 

Cutting something out for just a few days does not permit healing to take place, but 30 days without irritation can make a big difference. Not everyone can go back to eating their problem foods, but I recommend not even experimenting with reintroductions until you have significant time away from the food that is causing trouble.  

thanks Tom. This list is very helpful. CHatting with my nutritionist today and am definitely bringing up the FODMAPS. 

Thanks for all the replies.

I have a few questions:

1) How am I supposed to get my fat intake in without avacados, nuts and seeds? All meat? That sounds like a lot of cholesterol.

2) My endurance sports - are there any suggestions on how to perform well with no dates, nuts or seeds?

1) lard, coconut oil, bacon fat, egg yolks, homemade mayo, olives, coconut, olive oil...

2) I trained for half marathons all last summer while doing paleo (including 1 Whole30) with almost no dates, nuts, or seeds. Once your body becomes fat adapted you won't need much food unless you are going more than 3 hours. If you are it is better to use compliant babyfood packets or something of the like. I've never needed food while I train/race, but I've not done anything over 3 hours in a while.

1) lard, coconut oil, bacon fat, egg yolks, homemade mayo, olives, coconut, olive oil...

2) I trained for half marathons all last summer while doing paleo (including 1 Whole30) with almost no dates, nuts, or seeds. Once your body becomes fat adapted you won't need much food unless you are going more than 3 hours. If you are it is better to use compliant babyfood packets or something of the like. I've never needed food while I train/race, but I've not done anything over 3 hours in a while.

Thanks Physibeth. I'll stick with coc oil and olive oil to limit cholesterol. 

Yes - once a week my rides are 5-8 hours so I'll have to get this figured out...

On the cholesterol...most current studies have come to show that dietary cholesterol has little to no impact on blood cholesterol levels. Our body makes most of the cholesterol in our blood stream on its own usually in response to stress in the body. 

I would advise browsing through the threads in the Whole30 Athletes section for more ideas on fueling for workouts.

Please do some research on this.  Cholesterol really is a non-issue.  There are many great articles out there -- check out work by Chris Kresser.  Also The Great Cholesterol Con and the like.  Just reading the reviews on Amazon would be eye-opening.

Yes - once a week my rides are 5-8 hours so I'll have to get this figured out...

Like Beth said, baby food sachets are great - although you might find it a bit harder to find ones with no fruit in them, but if you can get straight sweet potato, or meat and vege (you can eat them all unheated and they're obviously shelf stable) it's actually pretty good to just suck down a mouthful or two, screw the top back on and go.

Archived