Dirty 30 "Best Group on W30"

dcducks1

Pooh I want one of those! Have fun at your massage Deb. I' need one, I just spent the last 20 minutes looking for the decorum after sitting hunched over the computer photoshopping images for work. I keep telling myself that I font get paid enough to do things in my own time and next thing I know there I am spending all afternoon and evening doing work stuff grrrr. Sorry for the rant but I love the idea of the massage and hair wash.

CC- thanks for the info, I think I will give the p90x3 a try, just have to get the necessary exercise equipment now, pull up bar and resistance bands are now on my shopping list :D. So impressed with your ride today, I dragged the kids out for a rude today but it had nothing on yours.

MeadowLily- I'm a pretty ordinary runner but it always feels good when I have made myself do it. Distance has a lot to do with where the kids are and if I have bribed them to come along on their bikes or not. So runs vary between 5-10km, but I really want to start increasing distance. I also get in a couple of spin classes a week (I work 1/2 a day Monday, so drop the kids at school, hit the gym, head to work, pick the kids up and then bribe them into a run before homework and dinner). As for runs I tend to run between 3 to 5 times a week.

Miki- I don't know how you do it with all the dates. I can not remember the last time someone asked me out. I too find myself wanting to eat things I shouldn't, but for me it's sweet treats. The desire to snack after tea is on the increase too, though I'm trying to ignore it.

Dave- I had visions of you and GI Joe being pulled over by the police and being asked to step out of your car, not so sure how you would talk your way out of that one (and yes I was thinking you would be joining GI Joe in his nakedness). Have a great holiday.

Pas. Love all the little reveals we are getting as time goes by giving us more of an insight into who everyone is!

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Korean Massage: OH MY GAWD DEB!!!! My niece and I accidentally found a spa, for a massage and ended up in a Korean spa. We put our bathing suits on  and hopped in the jacuzzi and some Korean woman came in yelling at us..."NO SWIMMING SUIT...NO SWIMMING SUIT", so Les and I, totally uncomfortable with the no swimming suit rule start walking around going in diff pools totally naked with all the other woman, whatever. THEN, the call us into what looks like a chinese torture chamber (they're very rough with you) THROWS a bucket of warm water on you and takes out I don't know what and literaly scrubs EVERY PART OF YOUR BODY - I call this my first lesbian experience. You have a great time Deb, LOL.

Cooking: One thing I never did on my W30 was get into the crockpot. For my meal this weekend I think I'll hop onto NomNom and pick and easy one.

One thing my boss did once was poach Chilean sea bass in coconut milk and and veggies, it was really good. You could serve it over the cauliflower rice that I never made or any roasted veggies and best of all would be a butternut squash, or a potato if you're doing them.

Snackity Snacking and other destructive personal behaviors: Deb, I read that article that Chris posted too and it is definitely me. I had a very light food day (probably since I was taking such good care of myself) but then was home alone, both boys had plans, and I got a little snackity. Check the banana chips I buy for mike at TJ's and low and behold they were compliant (but I dipped them in lowfat cream cheese - sigh). Now it is worth saying here that I am not a banana fan, but that is clearly beside the point when a self-sabotaging, snackity, anxiety moment hits. There were a lot of NON compliant choices I could have made(including cream cheese - sigh) so I patted myself on the back for that...but I could have made eggs or tuna. I need to cook up some of my old standby today, the ground chicken and shredded cruciferous (sp?) veggies. I can get a plate of that with the hot wing sauce...so yummy. I could have gone to hang with a friend or gone to the beach to see the sunset, but I didn't. I was afraid that we would end up having a drink...or worse some restaurant food.

CC&R - I love that you post your exercise. It really motivates you. I'm up early today so will try to run to the gym before I know what is happening and get in some cardio and weights. I love hearing about Rose's shred and Deb's Yoga and Meadow and Higs hikes through nature. So inspiring.

Dave - We miss you. We know you're having a wonderful time and you are required to spend time with the other woman. I read something yesterday, not sure where that said that "cashews were actually the seed of a fruit and not a nut. Which made me think...AHA, maybe cashews won't make me itch.

Hot & Spicy:  One thing I have noticed is that after I eat hot things or raw onions I tend to want to keep eating, especially something sweet after, to get that taste out of my mouth. I suppose a cup of tea might help or maybe a mouthful of parsley. I bought that WOW breath freshner in place of my gum and mints as I do believe artificial sweetner is hard on my system.  I've been toning down my hot and spicy and that seems to help my turn off button.

Dating: Not sure how much more I will be able to take. I do this. I'll date like a maniac for a month and if I don't find anyone I want to spend time with, then I'll take a break for a while. It is like another job, but since my mothering job is light at the moment, I seem to need to fill the space. I also notice it is easier for me to "not think about eating so much" when I'm needing to throw together outfits for meet & greets etc.

I think it's nice that GFChris chimes in for us. Our little group is kind of a force unto itself and could be a little scary to the "Nekid Eye".

Naked Mascot - Okay guys, I need your help. I'm obsessed with finding the perfect naked mascot for the rest of my life. It sure as hell won't be Barbie or Ken...I'm  not sure you could get away with that anyways. I honestly would like a GI Joe, but I can't have that. My niece and her girlfriend have the pink panther, VERY FUNNY...he shows up in Face Book posts ...all over the world...he was very funny in Ireland. Somehow a goat is weird. Someone else has Gumby and Pokey. Any ideas? Hey Meadow, have you seen and bendy cowboys?...with chaps?

Okay, it's  6:15 am on a Sunday morn (been up since 5) when one of my errant cats peed all over the carpet in the bathroom (best choice I suppose). They're usually out all night, but the neighbor kid is going off to college so he had a huge, loud party yesterday and that cats wanted to be inside with me, away from the mayhem.

Well, if you can get through all of that you're good people. I tried to bullet point it so you could just read the part that interests you.

Off to the gym!

Miki

Cara,

I posted and then I saw your post and thought, "How did I miss that", but then I realized..."great minds post at the same time".

I agree, it is fun to see the defenses in our group come and the trust rise.

I date online. I have NEVER had a date any other way. Someone was going to introduce me to a friend of theirs, come to find out, I had already met them on line. I love people and I think if everything had been "easy" in life, I would have been a psychologist because I find the "why" in what people do fascinating. I also find human behavior interesting...i.e., the sushi date on friday, whenever he would get the gist of what I was saying (he talked a lot by the way, but I enjoy that...normally) he would interject, rightrightrightrightright -which it felt was my cue to stop talking so he could go on about his exwife...or not so exwife it appears, or his work, or the stupid people at worker's comp or the Chevron where he will NEVER buy gas again...sorry, now I'm ranting...lol.

Naked Dave - okay Cara, I'm liking you more and more each day. Something about the visual (sorry Dave but you're the one who left us to spend the week with TWO other women) of naked dave and joe being pulled out of the car is just too precious. I'll try to think of that next time I want banana chips. I was wondering if almond butter and coconut milk would make a good dip for fruit, or banana chips. There is something wrong when you have two naked men in a story and you start thinking about food, right?

Miki

Mini - cashews co.e from the cashew apple. Joe and I were naked the entire drive. It was funny to see peoples faces when they saw Joe on the steering wheel. Sometimes I would put my head back, drive with my knees, and act like I was asleep while the boys told me what happened and we laughed like crazy. You need a Scuba Steve action figure.....great for the hot tub. Look him up. I will find one for you.

Hugs and kisses to all the ladies I left behind.

Dave

Miki you are HILARIOUS re Korean spa. Yes that is one spin on it :D

I actually don't mind being naked in that context, girl power and all that!

And I guess I like my lesbian experiences a little rough  :o  B)  :lol:

You forgot to say that the ladies giving the massages are in their undies. 

The place I go (Olympic http://olympicspala.com/aboutspa.htm) is nice and my favorite thing other than the massage is that it has this heated room made of pink salt (among other saunas etc). The walls are pink salt and you put your towel down on pink salt pebbles - it is super detoxy and amaze. Cleansing for body and spirit!

Scuba Steve! But what about a curvy naked lady? (I went looking for one for you, and note to self, no need to Google curvy naked lady again)

I think once you do the crock pot you will never go back. 

Rosann and I are big fans of this Nom Nom recipe. 

It could not be easier and turns out utterly delicious. 

Kalua Pig. 

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/10031990774/slow-cooker-kalua-pig

But she has lots more. The short ribs are redick, as is the pork stew.

Some dips for fruit:

http://www.realfoodrn.com/chocolate-avocado-fruit-dip-recipe/

http://everydaypaleo.com/decadent-fruit-dip/

http://www.diybudgetgirl.com/2013/02/05/fruit-dip/

Dave, since we have an open relationship its ok that you're cheating on us  :P

How is the beach????

Cara, your exercising is great inspiration, I love that the kids ride their bikes along with you!

When I chatted with GF Chris she said that this group is so active she literally can't keep up. That's right, we STILL rock!!

Good afternoon ya'll. Lots to read this morning. I planned on making zucchini fritters as my new thing this weekend, but not sure I'll get around to it. I got my new range delivered this morning (double oven), out to breakfast with the ex and a couple of the young'uns, trying to calibrate the oven now (macarons are picky things to cook), and then I have to work tonight (I serve 2 times per month at a local pizza/Italian restaurant owned by Greeks -- gas money). Tomorrow a friend is spending the day, so Tuesday it is for trying something new.

Miki-- keep dating for the both of us. I have no desire to get out there, but I love that you are willing to make the effort. I know it will be worth it in the long run when you find your true cowboy man.

CC - I love that you and your man, Rick, are working together. YOu are both diligent. So inspiring. I'm happy with my 2 mile walk each morning. Made me smile that you looked up French macarons. I don't post about them because they are not in any way compliant with what we're doing here. I've got some good leads, but I'm so in the beginning stages. Everyone LOVES them, but I need to see if there is enough of a market to support me full time. Hope so, because I so enjoy it.

Deb - Too funny when the host announced diarrhea. It's cool that you could probably diagnose what is wrong in his diet based on his bowel function. Glad the young guy who didn't win was secure in his own wonderfulness. I enjoy watching Master Chef and loved Master Chef Junior. I liked the way the three hosts were so very encouraging with the children and gentle when one was sent home. The kids just amazed me with their talent. It's actually what got me making macarons. Seeing those guys do it so well. I was challenged by a 13 year old. LOL

Dave - Glad you made it safely. Maybe naked GI Joe shouldn't drive because when he's holding to the steering wheel his naked manliness is pretty close to the a/c vent. Is that a good thing?

Miki - (Dave, close your ears) - I never had menstrual periods until I was 46. (Hence, 9 adopted children! LOL). So, when most of my friends were beginning menopause, I was beginning menostart. I do everything backwards. I can't help it, it's just who I am.

Higs -- Love the new picture on Facebook. Classy, girl.

CC - 14 miles. Did I comment enough on that earlier??? Love that you were invigorated while on the ride.

The rest of us -- I read everything, just forget stuff by the time I get here. We are all valued here and our thoughts are needed. Have a good remainder of the weekend and begin the new work week strong and encouraged.

The Importance of Recovering in an Extrordinary Way

One of the best lessons I ever learned was that when you make a mistake, it gives you an opportunity to recover in an extraordinary way. This was a great relief for me, because as a recovering perfectionist, I would do every possible thing to avoid making a mistake. I would rarely make a mistake (on a project or something) because I made myself crazy with the details or not attempt it if I thought it couldn't be perfect.

In the past, my cooking debacles of the weekend would have ended the experimenting. I love baking because there are exact directions to follow, and if you do follow them, the result is perfect. I just don't have inborn intuition for cooking.

Recovering in an extraordinary way gives me an excuse to try things, not be perfect, and still feel ok about the outcome.

I believe this is one of the most important lessons I have taught my son. (He never gets in trouble, but last year had an arguement in class with a teacher. He thought her punishment of his friend was unfair, and called her "cruel and heartless." She was devasted.  He wrote an extensive apology in his own words, and she loved him even more for it.)

So today, right back at it.  I have a whole chicken (rubbed and marinated) sitting the fridge for 24 hours which will go in the crock pot tomorrow morning.  Miki - this took a little time, but was very easy, and in the future I don't think it would take much time all.

Recovering in an extraordinary way gives me an excuse to try things, not be perfect, and still feel ok about the outcome.

Chili Cilantro Lime Chicken

I will report on the outcome tomorrow!

Soon we are taking Sam (my son, the 14 year old) to a sleep away theater camp for the week. I hate that we are incommunicado for a whole week, but he always thrives. I will look forward to his show on Friday night.

Rick and I will celebrate our 2 year anniversary tomorrow. Due to a busy week, we were trying to go out to dinner tonight, but can't seem to find a restaurant that's open. I'll bet the LA girls can't believe that!

And, isn't Rick killing the weight loss thing? I'm envious, but in a good way :wub:

Happy Sunday everyone,

I am in the kitchen cooking up a storm and listening to things like this:

It is excellent for cooking and dancing to!

My energy is back, and I'm food-inspired again. I'm whipping up a bunch of food for the week, including my fave parsnip-carrot puree (with a beet for color), cauliflower rice, braised chicken thighs, and on the stove now a leek-sweet potato-coconut milk soup.  Yum.  I'm hoping it will be good chilled since it's hot here.  I'm trying to get the fridge cleaned out because the garden has kicked into high gear and I have four perfect zucchinis on the kitchen counter with others breathing down their necks.  I'm going to make zoodles!  I haven't tried 'em yet!

CC and Rick, happy anniversary!  Enjoy every moment of it!  CC, I love your thoughts of recovering in an extraordinary way.  It's like having beginner's mind:  being open and gentle with ourselves when we try new things and mess up.

Deb:  thanks for the IOD links all in one place.  I'm looking forward to what you come up with for the next round.  I want to focus on trying new stuff or infrequently used stuff.  And more leafy greens for me next time around (the kale in the garden has bolted, which just goes to show how little kale I've been eating).

Events of the weekend:  

• My partner slipped on the steps on Friday and bonked his head pretty good.  I ended up staying up half the night to make sure he didn't have a concussion.  He's mostly fine, thank goodness, but I'm keeping a very close eye on him.  Maybe he does have a concussion because he just told me that I was inspiring him with all my cooking.  I got him to eat some parsnip puree.  It's a miracle!
  • I'm trying out contact lenses for the first time in 20+ years.  So now I'm blinkety along with snackity talkety thinkety.
  • I re-homed three of my ducks since I can't eat their eggs anyway.  I now fully expect the farm chore workload to improve dramatically.
  • Took some more selfies with cat and goats.

Hope you all are having a wonderful weekend.  xo

Mini - cashews co.e from the cashew apple. Joe and I were naked the entire drive. It was funny to see peoples faces when they saw Joe on the steering wheel. Sometimes I would put my head back, drive with my knees, and act like I was asleep while the boys told me what happened and we laughed like crazy. You need a Scuba Steve action figure.....great for the hot tub. Look him up. I will find one for you.

Hugs and kisses to all the ladies I left behind.

Dave

Dave is teasing us by repeating posts. 

I had grand plans for the day but the universe had others and kept me laminated to the couch. Rest is good. 

Higs, so glad to hear that all is well in your world! Show us some gat/goat felfies!

Hope the concussion stays minimal - that sucks! And congrats on getting him to eat the parsnip puree!!

I'm impressed with your food energy, it all sounds super delish, the soup, yummmmm. Me - the thought of packing yet another lunch tomorrow, oy I'm like noooo someone come make it for meeeeeee. But I would be honored and delighted to come up with more food fun for our next W30! It inspires me so much. Right now btw I am obsessed with the flavor boosting properties of smoked salt. It is so delicious! I even found a bourbon smoked salt that appears to have no bourbon and no artificial ingredients, maybe they pour bourbon on the wood or something. Either way,  I recommend smoked salt - they have it at Whole Foods. 

CC I love your recovery in an extraordinary way! Those are words to live by and some great lessons. Can't wait to hear how the chicken turns out. Congrats on your anniversary!! No restaurants open, yes, that is crazy for us urbanites. Although LA is a strangely early closing town, most kitchens close at 9 or 10, which compared with NYC is very early. When I worked in a restaurant, finishing around 10.30pm, we would go out after work and be starving and there'd be nowhere decent to eat! 

Mik, anything with pineapple is so yum!

I have to get back to yoga. Next week I would like to try to go for a hike at some point, inspired by y'all. We'll see how that goes!

Rose, Laurie, Wyo, Meadow, hope you've had a great weekend!

Hello M'dears,

Please forgive my weekend absences, I don't get up as early and have the whole family under my feet when I do, which makes posting an impossibility. As noted by others, I do read your posts when I'm unable to contribute because I am maybe a little addicted to you all.

Glad to see Laurie is still with us...we're here for you when you want to unload or just hang out for a bit. I know we are all thinking of you Laur, Steve too. 

Higsy-belle, glad you've got your mojo back. I had a weekend of visitors (my OH's brother is over from New Zealand with his wife and baby-they live in the suburbs of Wellington Deb- I couldn't remember if you had ever said what part of NZ you were from...) which of course inspired lots of culinary show-offery. Much of it non-compliant I'm afraid, though I did make a beautiful tomato and herb salad with several varieties of heirlooms and a slow roasted shoulder of pork. I also couldn't resist baking a loaf of rosemary bread (think that qualifies as non-compliant plus) and making a set cheesecake. I tried to assuage my guilt by making the base from nuts and dried fruit, but c'mon, a tub of mascarpone and a can of condensed milk do not a healthy food make. It was kind of fun though, cooking in my comfort zone. I really miss making those things. I also made a chocolate pavlova to bring to a friend's barbecue. I threw a few edible flowers on top and you would have thought it was haute cuisine the way people were impressed. I love it when something so low effort yields such results. You wouldn't know it from my recent comments about food fatigue, but I have seriously considered starting a catering business in the recent past. I do love food, but I learned many years ago in my own dating days that to truly love anything or anyone you have to love it as is, without projecting your own desire onto it. That's tricky.

I hope your partner is ok, concussions are no joke. Sounds like the bump on the noggin may have switched on his adventurous side though, who knows what that may translate into..keep us posted, if it works out well for you I may arrange a small accident for my beloved. And btw, I cannot tell you how happy it made me to read about the posing of the mummified mouse for photos. Oh God, I had to take a moment. I knew I loved you for good reason, but this has brought my affection to a new level.

Deb, just finished my 30 day shred yesterday, going to start Banish Fat Boost Metabolism today. Love the idea of a Korean spa, wish we had such amenities here. I'm not shy about my body, after all I have had three babies and all the attendant poking around in nether regions that requires, also have had some cervical cancer issues over the last few years, so I can swing into the (gynaecological) stirrups without so much as a moment's thought. My body issues are more related to my perfectionism than to comparing myself to other people. I could totally be a naturist, in fact I kind of am around the house. I'd like to frighten you all by saying I'm typing this in the nude, but we have benches at the kitchen table and the delamination of one's thighs that would ensue from such behaviour would not be worth the cheap laugh.  Likewise, I would never get you all around my table for dinner if you thought I had been contributing butt sweat to your chairs, so there's that.

CC, you are such a thoughtful character. Kudos on the biking and congrats on the tiger blood. If anybody deserves tiger blood its you. 

Cara, we missed ya. I feel you on trying to get things done with kiddos on the loose. They couldn't give a rat's ass whether you would like to be busy with your own stuff, which is why I do all my emailing and catch-ups before they wake. I call my little dude the Interrupter General. Because he generally interrupts. Everything. I'm trying to carve a little time for myself in the evenings after dinner for gym visits or yoga class. I have resisted calling this me-time for years because I resent that the only time I can claw back for myself I have to spend sweating buckets while some fool in lycra yells at me. Talk about asking for a punch in the throat, don't yell at me you muscled infant, I will rearrange you. Perhaps the climbing wall is a safer recreational pursuit. I don't do well in situations where I am not in control. This is what I must learn to let go of. We all have our mountains to climb.

Miki, I think the way you put yourself out there is brave and fierce and cannot help but yield a result somewhere along the line. Though sometimes results take a form we don't expect, like the insights into other people that you have gained, and the awesome stories you collect to tell to us. Love the bitter sushi guy, I think I dated him too. Nothing more attractive than a man who is still so hung up on his ex that he can't leave her out of the conversation for two seconds. Yum.

The problem with being awol all weekend is that I then wind up marathon posting and missing out on things I wanted to comment on...Rosann, your poop story has made my month. I  once wet my pants in a confession box because I couldn't remember any genuine sins to tell the priest about (not that there weren't any, I just couldn't remember them) and thought that making up some sins would be a worse sin on top...anxiety, ack, wet pants! I was 12. I had to scuttle sideways out the front door of the church. 

Love to all and a high five to Meadow,

Rose

I just typed a long post and lost it.  I don't have the patience to type it again.  I really wish I had not lost it.

short version:

Steve's appt. with transplant team went well. Results of bone marrow biopsy was good.  His disease had NOT progressed to acute myeloid leukemia. This is what I was concerned about.  Doctor feels Steve should do well with transplant.  Just 10 more days until Steve is admitted to the hospital.

You all sound great.  As usual, love all the posts. 

I've been sticking to the Whole 30 - with too much fruit - can't seem to kick my fruit habit.  If I committed to no fruit, I think I could do it.  However, the word "moderation" does not register in my brain.  I have done no fruit for 30 days before so I should be able to do it again.  I am just not sure that's the right direction for me at this time. 

This post concerns me - See Troubleshooting section - Gaining weight over the years eating this way (I'm not sure that's the exact title but it's close).  The woman's food plan is good and she is gaining weight - beyond frustrating.  I am in favor of W30 but this post creates many questions in my mind.  Meadow - I see that you responded to this post.  I think I understand what you were getting out in your post to mix things up, and I tend to agree with you.  Any other opinions on that post.  I would love to hear what you all think.

I better end here before this post disappears. 

Good news Laurie. Sorry about that lost post, so frustrating when that happens (and it does happen a lot). 

I read the thread on troubleshooting you were talking about, and it is a concern. Personally, although it was difficult for me (I was really on a roll at the day 30 point) I thought it was best to do reintros because I need to know what foods are triggers for inflammation and whether I had any sensitivities. It turns out I don't seem to have any problems with anything but sugar and Brazil nuts, therefore I see no real reason to worry unduly about sticking to the template. To be honest, I doubt I'd do another w30 any time soon if I didn't have such a psychological hangup about sugar. I stick to foods as close to their natural form as possible and I don't eat anything processed. I'm unconvinced that eating this way all the time is the best thing for everyone, hence the admonition that its not meant to be whole 365. It seems like the most important thing you can gain from doing a reset is a genuine understanding of what affects your body and how. Then you can make informed decisions regarding those foods Coming back to do another w30 is a refresher for some and a chance to properly reintro for others. Maybe the person in question has omitted too much from her regular diet, maybe she is having a thyroid related issue (I suspect so, the blood tests that physicians do are ludicrously limited and rarely seem to catch even severe problems on the first round). Either way, the temptation is to medicalize and pathologize our experiences of the w30, which is distinctly problematic in my view. Sometimes it doesn't work for people. I've read all around the threads on the forum and there are a number of people who find that its not for them, no matter how observant they are of the protocols.

Science has yet to truly grasp the extent to which our individual biochemistry affects our body composition, our hormones, our propensity for disease, our mental states. Its in its infancy. Some of the way we feel with regard to food and weight is socially constructed, sure, but some of it is determined by our genes, our environment, our stress cortisol. There is no magic bullet, and one size definitely doesn't fit all. Most of us dirty 30ers have been fortunate enough in that we have experienced real progress, most of us have stalled out in certain areas, most of us would like to see more visible results. This is only human, as are we. In essence if you boil down all my talketiness on this, I think we need to day at a time it and relax. Perhaps for some people combining a w30 with a sugar detox that removes most fruit from the table is ideal, Maybe for some it needs to be raw food and vegan...I just don't think we all need the same things, particularly because we live in different regions and get different amounts of sunlight, and we are different ages, different body types, have different health challenges...and so on. Try it on and see if it fits, and if it doesn't then you have to look elsewhere. 

You don't need to start worrying about this too right now. You have plenty on your metaphorical plate without worrying that you will suddenly start humping on weight. Its not a likely outcome for you Laurie, and if it did start to happen it would be more likely a result of stress or something your body was trying to tell you than a direct consequence of w30. Its powerful, but I don't think it can reset your body for good and all and make you somehow incredibly sensitive to everything offplan forever. Something else is going on when that sort of reaction occurs.

My 3 million cents.

Love to all,

Good Monday morning. Laurie --- Great news about Steve. I know it's frustrating to lose a post, but I'm glad you took the time to repost at least a bit of it to keep us posted on how you both are doing. You should be proud of yourself for sticking to W30 during this time when your schedule isn't fully your own. I wouldn't worry about too much fruit unless that's all you're eating. Maybe just add more veges to offset the fruit rather than eliminating the fruit. Just my thought. I'm pretty big on baby steps and cutting yourself some slack.

Rose, Rose, Rose. Your posts inspire/impress/invigorate me. Tie the children up for an hour or so daily to share with us in your unique way. We need you -- they get you all the time. It's time they learn to share.

Higs -- you are rockin it, girl. I love the new photo on FB. Keep up the energy and let us know what great recipes you try. The soup sounds amazing and congrats on getting the partner/man to have some.

Deb -- when I homeschooled, I used to say the hardest part was lunch. I wanted to be able to send everyone to the cafeteria --- what cafeteria? Lunch can be difficult, no? Harness little creative moments and get as much prep done in advance as you can to help with the "don't want" times.

Dave's really proud of the double naked guy thingy - him and GI Joe. Posted it twice. Now see, that got me thinkin' about guy's thingys. Been divorced too long, I guess. ;)

One of my lovely friends is driving here and we get to spend all day playing. Yippee!! Lots of walking, shopping, talking, and lunch out at a girly place. So excited. Have a great day, everyone.

Evening. It's weird how hard it has become to break away from Whole30 food (bar Saturday when I was hungover). Today at work someone had brought in chocolates for everyone to share and while I thought ' there is nothing to stop me having one' when it came to the crunch I couldn't do it.it makes me question how long I can keep it up, I feel for me there is much more chance of longevity if I allow some flexibility.

Miki- I agree with others that you are inspirational in how you put yourself out there. I'm scratching my head but I don't think I can honestly say I've ever really dated as such. My long term relationships have always evolved in other ways eg. friend from uni, friend of a friend I met house sitting, guy who was always out at the same places and parties as me. Reality is my last relationship started when I was 24 and ended when I was 40 (or was it 41) and nothing since (I'm now 44). I always figured I would be a hopeless dater and go all shy, now as a single mum I just go with the theory no one would be interested. So I love hearing how you put yourself out there, I'm sure that it will pay off and you will find someone who sees how wonderful you are and visa versa.

Dave- I started pondering and got to thinking 'wasn't GI joe army' (ended up googling it and they made uniforms for him that covered all forces). Meanwhile, before I'd put myself up to the task of googling, I got to thinking if GI Joe was army, was there a more relevant doll out there? I figured you could probably scrounge up a navy doll, after all there surely must have been Village People replica dolls? As for the other forces, I couldn't come up with anything I'm sorry to say (bar maybe a Major Nelson doll from ' I Dream of Jeanie'). Anyway hope you, family and GI Joe are having a wonderful time.

Rose- love your concerns for GI Joe and the air conditioning vent.

Deb- you are a star putting the links and ingredients into one place, I need to get over there and book mark it. I think I slowly went off the Korean massage with all the talk of nakedness and masseuses in their underwear? Strangely I picture the massage ladies as older Korean ladies in grandma knickers ;-)

CC- you share such wise words and give us great things to ponder. Thank you for that.

Rick- congrats on the weight loss. I did not really notice much change in my clothes during the Whole30, strangely it has been after (where I have only seen minor changes in the scales that I have suddenly noticed how loose my work pants have become.

Higs- I love your adventures in the kitchen, I am such an uninspired cook. You make me want to strive to try new things. Hope your partner is doing okay, I hate concussions. My youngest child went through a phase of banging his head and having falls that were so hard that his eyes would roll back in his head and he would stop breathing. Always made me struggle to sleep that night. Hope all is well now.

Laurie- so glad that you have received some positive news. As for the fruit I would be asking is it really a problem to be snacking on it? Weight loss is not an issue for you and fruit has some great nutritional content. I say eat it and enjoy it.

Rose- you put my cooking repertoire to shame. I wish I could confidently cook for others but I'm not a natural caterer.

Okay , I can here sleep talking in my bed (my 9 year old turned up upset and talking in circles and then put himself to bed in the middle of my bed, I think he was sleep walking. Might have to go and see if there is any space left there for me.

Cara - the original GI Joe was army but they have one for everything now.

All - beach has been fine. My youngest lost his glasses in the surf yesterday (don't ask) so he and I spent about 5 hours at Lenscrafters Everything is OK now! Hope all is well. I am with my Army helicopter pilot cousin......Tony......I will get a pic of us......we look like we could be brothers.

Not sure why or how I double posted.

Dave.

post-43304-0-69628700-1406555319_thumb.j

Thank goodness more than just me are obsessed with naked GI Joe et al.

I am short on time, unlike Rose, weekends afford me more free time than week days...unless it's a little slow at work.

Laurie, I agree with..was it Rose and Rosann? Forgive me, no time to check. You're doing great...your job is to keep eating healthy food and stay strong. Fruit is healthy...like someone said, get your protein in and some green veggies.

Cara, dating is a job, seriously unless you luck into just the right person. As I get older, there seem to be less right people out there, sadly.

We had a "close call" in the driving arena and I guess I make him nervous, lol. We'll get back in the saddle again here today and work through it.

Rosann...you home schooled your 9 adopted children? Did you have a self-sustaining garden and provide three warm, home cooked meals a day? You really are a force.

need to cook my standby meal and get to work.

Meadow, how was your weekend.

I haven't read the article.

Higs, I'll hop on facebook to see the new pics.

CC & R, Keep up the good work.

Dave - I hope you're having a wonderful time, I'm sure you are!

My darling Deb, glad to see you got some much needed rest.

I know I missed someone, because I Always do...but know that I love you.

Miki

Miki I dread teaching my boys to drive (luckily I have a while on that one as they are 7 & 9 and we cannot get licences until 18 here). My oldest is a drama queen and my youngest will be a lead foot, if I'm not grey already it will turn me grey very quickly.

MeadowLily- I keep picturing you on your mountain, I love your push and mind set!

Dave- I hope your getting some sunshine. The beach is a few minutes walk down the road for us. I will have to work out how to load a picture.

Archived