Dirty 30 "Best Group on W30"

dcducks1

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Forgot to say, Deb I love the Womens Weekly Cookbooks, they are the recipe books of my childhood. No birthday was complete without a birthday cake from the Womens Weekly Birthday cake special edition :D

Rose - so generous of your friend to give you a WHOLE DAY to proof read the 60 page paper! I find myself in those situations, but less often than I used to. You are a GREAT FRIEND!!!

The 5 day plank challenge: in my little exercise FB group the leader set up 5 days of planks, and you could chose beginner, intermediate or expert. I chose intermediate but I should have chosen BEGINNER!!  This week: :30  :45  1:00  1:15  1:30

Deb and Miki: Have you watched the show DATING NAKED?  I would be mortified. It's worth a watch I think!!

Deb: Are you watching FOOD FIGHTERS? Looking forward to your assessment.

Rick and I did a 10 mile bike ride tonight. Actually, Rick was so far ahead of me that he did an EXTRA mile!!  He does have the TIGER BLOOD this week. He was cleaning like crazy yesterday. Yay me!

Have a great night everyone!

checking in and catching up. doing well and still "on the road". glad to see everyone is still here! you all are amazing!

Whole foods has been my friend that last few days. not every meal but somehow at night we end up there or near one so we all pick up dinner there. It's kind of nice since everyone can pick what they want (though$$$$) but worth it. i gotta say i'm tired of eating bland salad bar guacomole in an attempt to get more fat in. also i haven't given a flying fig about portions especially with protein. I"m hungry and i've been satisfying the hunger. Guess what? i'm still alive and feel fine. Need to embrace this mindset every day irregardless of my eating choices in the future.

staying active and busy. despite eating out most meals, have managed to stay on track without scrutinizing ingredients. feel fine. even have had diet iced tea here and there but i'm still alive and it didn't lead me into all sorts of other things. water and herbal tea are still my best friends.

i see some plank challenge going around. sounds great! my running/walking has been fine but now bored. being away you sort of have to do the same thing since a fitness classes aren't readily available. but thankfully i'm waking up and moving each day. once in awhile i have those small moments where i see my body and pick it apart. But i quickly snap out of it and remind myself of the physical i've done with this body so it is what it is and it's just dandy for my age.

i'm having a hard time with "down" time. What do you all do during down time? it's hard for me to sit for more than hour and just read or watch tv. i want to sign up for a knitting class or art class so i have something to work on and look forward to doing. you can only read, clean, etc. i can't always talk on the phone or go out with friends. i also think it's the guilt thing I feel when i feel like i'm not doing enough (note that I feel this way, not others). I will be honest and say when I don't exercise on a day (even if it's a walk), i feel like i didn't do anything. I'm certainly not an over exerciser but I feel so much better if I do something 30-60 minutes a day--even if it's just a walk. Is that bad?

Happy day to all of you!

Little fried tonight, early to bed for me!

Rosie Rose, that is some amazing productivity. The Korean spa is seriously awesome and its on my must do for LA visitors so don't let Miki deter you, when you get here, we will all go!  There are a LOT of these spas in Ktown so you can go schwanky or no frills with your sapphic roughness! 

CC, naked bbq sounds amaze! What a great find. Cooking collards greens well is an art so you obviously were in the right place!

My friend's husband works on Naked Dating! How insane is that show? Of course I was asking him ALL about it. He did say that some people would get there (Panama) and refuse to do it. I couldn't even imagine! I think naked is the next tv trend - have you seen "Naked and Afraid" ? 

Have not seen Food Fighters but peeps I'm working with now also worked on that - what did you think?  There is also a show called ? The Box? not sure what channel but people are having sex! 

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2014/03/12/couples-have-sex-in-box-then-talk-about-it-on-new-show/

Miks, you will have an absolute blast on your vacay. I confess that I sometimes now have a hard time traveling with other people! I love doing what I want and being free to meet new peeps, kiss boys, whatevs. The trick is to stay busy and do things where you'll meet other peeps - take classes - yoga, art, local cooking classes, hang out at the same bar/restaurant every night so that you see the same people, be outgoing toward other single folks. Or also, just being comfy with the thought that you're exactly where you're supposed to be and if that means reading a book by yourself all day on the beach, that's super cool. 

Like Higs, I am a big fan of Baja  - have you been to Cabo before? I recommend the one hour drive to Todos Santos - super fun little artists town. Fishing trip is also a FANTASTIC man meeting idea. 

You are a great Mom to be teaching your son to drive. I still remember my Mom teaching me (Dad, too volatile) and her lurching forward repeatedly in her seat as I learned how to use the clutch. She is still the best driver in the family. 

Higs, zoodles with nettle pesto sounds so good. 

Cara - SO love those cookbooks. Of course in NZ our cake bible was Edmonds. But many many good things came from AWW. 

Wyo - glad to hear that you are doing well. My favorite thing to do is nothing, or lie on the couch for about 10 hours binge reading!! I also hate exercise :-(  So we are polar opposites! I do envy you that desire to work out every day. CC is very crafty I know. 

Meadow, I love that cake! 

I'm eating too much meat (grassfed) and potatoes (sweet, like Meadow's hubs swine), for comfort. 

Allright, the pillows are calling! 

I want to get back to cooking YES, I said that. I'm just not feeling as good as I was. I really don't do well with choices. I want to find a way to stick to the recommended portion sizes too. 

I did a 30 second plank. It's hard to believe I used to do a 3 minute plank...I better get to it! Hoping to make it back to the gym tomorrow...really, what is my problem. CC&R I may need to attend your bootcamp soon.

I want to hear about this Korean smack down.

Never been to Cabo, ever. Never been anywhere by myself, sigh.

I will look for classes Deb, I'll go to the same bar each night, I want to go kayaking if there is such a think in Cabo. Will look into the artsy thing. Hoping I can get a shuttle from the airport. Can I use my phone there? do they take dollars?

too tired, night all

miki

#toowiredtosleep

so I'm vicarious vacationing for you Mik  :D

Kayaking!

http://www.cabo-outfitters.com/tours/kayaking-snorkeling-tours-in-los-cabos-mexico/

Todos Santos

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/mexico/baja-california/todos-santos

Art classes

http://www.tanyatalamante.com/

Spas and Yoga

http://moon.com/2014/01/spas-and-yoga-relaxing-in-san-jose-del-cabo/

Beach Workouts!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/alison-lewis/5-best-beach-workouts-in-_b_3581389.html

Dollars or Pesos?

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150769-i82-k7023116-Do_I_need_to_Exchange_my_Dollars_for_Pesos-Baja_California.html

Phone

Here’s my advice on the phone thing. Your carrier will give you an international plan that will allow you to roam, phone home from Mexico, get/send texts but it won’t be cheap (that said, it will still be cheaper than if you did nothing)

When I went to Costa Rica, after considerable research I decided the best way to go was to turn OFF roaming on my phone and then make Skype calls on my phone from places where there was free Wifi (so your phone is in effect functioning as a mini computer).  Skype will only charge you 10c a minute which is normal for international long distance.  You can check your messages on your US cell number by calling it using the Skype app on your US cell phone and I just change my cell message to say, I'm out of the country so send me an e mail. (if that sounds too complicated then probs best to just get the international plan from your US carrier). 

Top o' the mornin' to ye,

Before I say anything else, I must clarify, nobody in Ireland has ever said this phrase without irony. Ever. Think it has its origins in Hollywood rather than Termonfeckin. (Yeah, that is a place). We also wouldn't dream of kissing the Blarney stone- spoiler alert- people pee on the Blarney stone for laughs, do not under any circumstances apply your face to it. This is now a country with more condos than cows, everything changes, just not always for the best.

Its a grey and unpromising morning and my littlest little has a summer cold, but I shall not be oppressed by small inconveniences in my orbit. I am feeling a lift from the downer I have been on lately, probably hormonal, but I'll take it. I've always found that increasing my activity levels serves as a mood modifier, I'm not even sure anymore why I stopped making time every day for exercise. Everything is better when you are fit. Admittedly, trying to work out with children running between your legs (yes, a daily occurrence) and shouting Toy Story based questions at you as you ooze sweat from every pore is at times a bit of a pain in the (firmer) buttocks, but it really wasn't worth the tiredness and flabbity-flab that I had from doing nothing. I gave the plank thing a whirl and managed 1:30 before I had to run to the bathroom (coffee does that to me). Not sure how long I could maintain without the pressure of my bladder to contend with, but I feel a real cumulative boost in my fitness levels overall, so yay for Jillian Michaels.

I may get to work on a project today, I have some chairs that are in need of paint and reupholstery. Weather permitting, I can get the old stuff stripped off today and have all the prep work finished by early afternoon. I do a bit of crafting too CC, I have some crochet sitting around that requires my attention, but I find it oppressive to sit under piles of wool when it is hot outside. AC is not a thing here, we just sweat when its warm. May do some granny squares on the couch this evening though and make my downtime productive. I can't really get into TV- not a dig at you Deb, I'm just more of a reader or movie buff- I like to insert myself into a story and TV is too intermittent with all the ads and the product placement and the blah blah blah of people who really ought to think more and talk less. I get antsy in front of the box, but my OH loves it more than I care to consider closely. If an ultimatum were issued regarding the choice between me and TV, I think I'd find myself packing.

Good for you for taking the leap Mik, I promise you won't regret it. I love solo travel, I did a lot of it in my 20s. In fact, I find travelling with other people kind of a drag because you have to have endless discussions about what you are going to do and how long for and what to eat and on and on. I really just like to wing it and see what unfolds, get lost in a place and make finding your way around the day's project. This is definitely not for everyone, I have travelled with real sticklers for agendas and this has not ended in a mutual increase of affection. My ideal travelling companion is my friend Tom, he can take it when you say 'being with you all day is starting to annoy me, let's split up for a bit and meet somewhere later', and when you do meet up later he will have unearthed something fascinating or amusing. My least favourite companion is my dearest oldest friend, who drags me to endless predetermined places of interest (I'm sorry, but if you have seen one gourmet food store or vintage clothes shop, you have seen pretty much all of them) and marches you around like a sergeant major to ensure that you get to the (tripadvisor vetted) restaurant precisely at the moment marked 'lunch' on the schedule. I loves the girl, but she is lucky to still have all of her limbs attached. The only thing about solo travel that can be a bummer is the moments when you are profoundly moved or amused and you turn to share it with...well, nobody, because you are alone. I used to bring a sheaf of postcards in my backpack for those moments, and I would sit down on the curb or wherever and jot down the impression and immediately post it off to somebody. Nowadays you have instagram, but to me that seems more like virtual braggadoccio and less like sharing a moment. Somebody should invent an app like tinder, but for solo travellers, so you could find other people in your immediate vicinity who also want to tour the Rijksmuseum while stopping to laugh at the pompous a**holes in all the portraits (artists were some brave dudes back in the day, imagine getting some ludicrous aristo to pay you to paint their portrait and using the opportunity to visually satirise them for posterity, surely some of those jumped up twits must have caught on to the mockery).

I'm yacky this morning, but I don't really have much to say. Hope all is well in every one of your worlds.

Love,

Rose

Cara...I pushed the button...may need to write you incessantly for moral support!

I've just sat down (at last it's 10pm here) I'm yet to read anything else BUT YAY!!!!! (Sorry Rose for all the exclamation points but it was called for).

That is fantastic Miki, there is something about travelling alone that opens you up to more experiences. You are more approachable and people are kind and caring. Enjoy!

Cara, Rose and Deb,

Thank you. I was nauseous most of the afternoon after I did it.I'm sure getting the first one under my belt will help. GEEZ Deb, I googled last night and didn't get any of that info...You are a star. I'm especially excited about the kayaking, snorkeling thing.

I too was thinking it would be nice to know if there were any other brave souls down there alone who might want to do a couple of tours too. I guess I'll just have to try and meet folks. I am hoping the timeshare will have a meet & greet, they do sometimes and then I can hopefully find someone. I was told that it's a younger crowd in Cabo...so hopefully I won't end up coming home with a bunch more adopta kids.

I really want to get back on the Whole 30 faithfully. I purchased Taro Chips and sadly I still think the serving size is the bag. I would like to stop eating in the car and in bed. That would make me happy. I purchased two sweet potatoes yesterday, I think I'm craving carbs so at the end of the day I end up eating inappropriate ones, so will try adding a sweet potato in a day just to give my veggies and eggs and bit more umph.

Okay, need to grab my time in the shower. Deb, thanks again for taking the time to figure all of that out for me. I'll go see my dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd879555 (cat's contribution while I was showering).

Okay, now off for the day. Going to reread the template and try to get back on plan except for El Tarasco with the Ex and his wife tomorrow night. Big girl panties, here I come. Maybe I could take naked GI Joe in my purse? I would love to see the kid's reaction to that!

Oh Rose, by the way...thanks for Blarney Stone info, I'm pretty sure my niece kissed the Blarney stone....I can't wait to share at the next Martini night.

Cara...thanks for the push.

Make it a great day kids.

Miki

Miki - I also think the whole bag is a serving size.  I can't eat chip type foods or gluten free cookies (I have to be gluten free -  skin issues) because I have to eat the whole thing.  I am all or nothing  - in my mind there is no other choice.  I also have issues with frozen yogurt.  If I am going to buy fro yo, I always order a large (sometimes extra large).  I see no point in ordering anything smaller.  I don't understand why adults order kiddie cups or how they can be satisfied with such a small amount.  Same issue with watermelon - 1/4 watermelon is my usual serving size.  I would never buy a whole watermelon because that could be my new serving size. 

For those who suggested I eat more protein and veggies, I already eat lots, especially the protein.  I have a fruit addiction  - it must be the sugar.  It has nothing to do with hunger. 

Morning all,

In my neck of the woods I seem to have hit a plateau and the weight isn't falling off anymore.  Near daily use of the scale has crept back in because I'm worried that the weight is going to find its way back on (it hasn't).  I'm still eating 90% compliant but haven't fully found my sea legs/trust for myself to continue to make healthy choices, even though I'm doing it regularly.  I think this transition time is good for me, but I have to say I'm really really looking forward to the next round starting in August.

CC, I love that the next round ends on the day of your triathalon.  For me day 30 will be on the first day of a backpacking trip.  But I'm thinking about doing a W45 or even a W60 next time.  Day 59 would be my 48th b'day, so maybe I'd do a W58?

Miki:  I haven't spent time in Cabo but I have spent a ton of time about an hour north of there on the East Cape at a small fishing resort (that's where the fishing photos came from).  I highly highly recommend kayaking in Baja.  You can even find places that will take you kayak fishing!  I once caught a small tuna from a kayak there, and it pulled me in circles.  It was incredibly fun.  I agree with what everyone else has said:  traveling alone is awesome, and you WILL meet people.  Rose, I'm with you on the Instagraming aspects of travel these days.  It is such a different experience than when I was doing most of my traveling.  I arranged for letter stops once a month to pick up any mail that came my way, and that was it for contact with friends and family.  Those mail stops were AMAZING.  I'd get a stack of letters that I'd savor (most of them 4-6 weeks dated by the time I read them) until the next stop.  It's such a different experience now where Facebook posts are continuous.

This morning I am craving grapefruit..

Planks - ugh, I can do 60 seconds.  You all impress the hell out of me.  I need to add them in to my repertoire as I'm sure they would help with the lingering back pain issues I have (constantly tweaking my back lifting hay bales or feed bags and so forth).  So annoying.

Deb:  I have gotten somewhat addicted to Naked and Afraid.  I especially like the episodes where the women emerge as the badasses, and it so refreshing to see all the proudly different body types and normally human flabby thighs, hips, etc. - so rarely seen on TV!

Happy day, all!

1.  "If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do."

Favorite Warren Miller quote

Vince Gill....best lookin' Okie on the planet.    "One More Last Chance"....I'm taking it.

MeadowLily

W30 - 60 days

Deb - Congrats on your IOD post.  You are famous!  I can now say I know someone famous.  Thank you.

Hig - I love the picture of the cat and turkeys.

Meadow - you always have great quotes and photos

CC - you and Rick are so inspirational - your relationship, your exercise, etc.

Dave - I have done lots of cleaning lately.  You would be proud.  New carpeting and fresh paint in my apartment (with my lease renewal) gave me the motivation. 

I love doing planks - there are so many different ways to do them and they are great for the core.  This is one of my favorites  - side plank with leg lifts: lay on your side - hold top arm up to the ceiling and lift top leg as many times as you can.  Of course, you must do the other side.  Also try the forearm plank or straight arm plank with alternating leg lifts.  Another great one - plank up down:  basically you are moving from a straight arm plank position to a forearm plank position, one arm at a time. 

On the subject of dating - I met Steve online.  However, it is not easy to find the one.  Lots of creeps out there.

White potato - I know I'm behind on the subjects being posted.  I ate 3 when the potato was not approved so of course, I will eat them.  At least now, I am not doing anything wrong.

Miki, Google is my bitch. I actually realize that I know someone who lives in Cabo with her husband - we did a self development course together, her name is Sandy and she is interesting and nice, but she travels a lot - let me reach out to her and see if she'll be there when you are - what are your vacay dates? I was also thinking that I bet you could score a few fun dates down there while you are there - just change your search settings on Match. There are lots of lonely retired ex pats down there who would love some female company for an afternoon I bet. And I also bet lots of them have boats to take you out on. You could spend the whole week being wined and dined! And I know what else Dave would say after that  :P

Miki/Laurie - but the amount of chips in the bag is really so small - right? right? Miks I sometimes eat breakfast in my car and guess what I now have in my car? ANTS. No more eating in the car for me. 

Laurie, love that you met Steve online. CC I meant to ask how you and Rick met? 

Kissing all the frogs is so exhausting but I guess its all worth it when you finally find the prince!

Laurie LOL re my IOD fame. Wait til they see the NEXT round  :D  :lol:

I already have some ideas. I was thinking it would be fun to do some country themed food days like Mexican, Thai, Indian. I was also thinking maybe we could do greens week since so many of us want to eat more greens - and we could do different greens like collards, bok choy, nettles, dandelion, etc etc. Just a few thoughts that have popped up...let me know any of yours!

I think that next W30 round my personal goal is going to be minimal sugar of any kind, including fruit. I may keep berries in (per the Wahls protocol) but nothing else - no dates, no apples, no cherries, no watermelon. Sadly, I think fruit is feeding my sugar dragon. And who knows what else. 

Higs, love the turkeys and cat! I too remember the days of Post Restante. It was super fun getting all that mail in one hit. 

Meadow, words to live by, as always. 

Rosie Rose, can't wait to see the befores and afters of the chairs. SO impressed with you and the 30 day shred.

I rarely do regular tv these days, I DVR everything I like (which actually isn't that much, mostly Oprah stuff!! I do love Super Soul Sunday, and Our America with Lisa Ling is very good, although, ok I do love Downton Abbey, Homeland, and also this AWESOME show called "Episodes" which has two terrific Brit actors in it and is about the tv bizz - hilarious) and will watch a whole season in one go (this phenom recently documented in the NY Times "binge watching")  or when I want to zone out, so I forward through all the commercials. I think the DVR  will be the demise of advertising. 

I don't have to be at work til noon today which is AMAZE. Then working the next two days from home, then I have next week OFF before post production. I'm heading up to the Bay Area for 5 days to see a naturopath/doc/healer person who has been highly recommended to me; am very curious about what he has to say. He requested my medical records from as far back as I had them so that is a good start. I used to live in Berkeley and have great affection for NoCal. Miki, my ex hubs and I are car pooling up there (he will go see his folks) but essentially I'm going alone and plan to do some fun solo activities (eating oysters at Hog Island Oyster Farm on Tomales Bay, and the Crate and Barrel Outlet to name two!) so will have to post some pics to inspire you  :D

Archived