Larabars

I thought they were a good emergency food to keep in my purse or car....and they were. Until I started thinking about them at work. Until just now when I ate 2 for no reason.

I am officially done with them until the end of my whole 30. For most people, they are probably fine. For me...they are my sneaky sugar dragon rising to the surface, and I admit it. 

Goodbye, delicious Key Lime Pie Larabars. 

They remind me of candy bars and protein bars.   I read the wrappers while I'm in the health food store.  I enjoy reading labels....makes my husband one nutty buddy.  I lick all of the wrappers before I leave the store.    :D  :lol:  nuh uh.

There's not much I can buy other than the tuna, salmon, Macadamia Nut oil and coconut oil products. I read the gluten free baking products...they've replaced wheat with sugars.   

I agree, I wouldn't want all those Larabars at my house around 10:00 PM.

For most people, they are probably fine.

Disagree.  ;)  

I'd say, for most people, they are a problem food.  For sure.  

Good for you for realizing it, admitting it, and doing something about it!  You'll be better off for it.  I promise.  :)

• Moderators

I thought they were a good emergency food to keep in my purse or car....and they were. Until I started thinking about them at work. Until just now when I ate 2 for no reason.

I am officially done with them until the end of my whole 30. For most people, they are probably fine. For me...they are my sneaky sugar dragon rising to the surface, and I admit it. 

Goodbye, delicious Key Lime Pie Larabars. 

I had to do the same thing. During my first W30, I ate one of my emeregency Larabars, despite the fact that I had a perfectly acceptable healthy supper cooked and on the plate in front of me. :wacko:  And I think I had one for breakfast the next day too. That's when I knew I couldn't keep them in the house. 

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I'm finding the same thing. I've had a Lara Bar for breakfast the last two mornings just out of cooking breakfast laziness. For one they're not enough food and I'm starving by 10:00 and they also perk up my sugar sensors. Not good!

Whole9 Moderator/First Whole30 May 2010

• photo-thumb-6.jpg?_r=1403697759
  • Moderators
  • w9team.png
  • 4969 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, Georgia, USA

Hmm. The bit about fruit slowing digestion is false, although you can find lots of strong opinions about things like this. 

Raw salad greens are a little more stressful than cooked veggies, but you are reporting trouble after meals 2 and 3, not 1, so that is not a strong candidate for explaining things. Larabars are junk food and the nuts in them can be a little hard on digestion, but again, that does not seem likely to be a good explanation of what you are reporting. 

Whole, real food is always best. But if you have to have an emergency food (and I do, not often, very rarely, but I do need an emergency food due to either travel or trail riding for hours at a time - not a lot of stuff survives well in a saddle bag) I highly recommend Epic bars. I can guarantee you they do not imitate a candy bar in any way, shape or form. I had an issue with RX bars (although not anymore) but never once have had an issue with the Epic bars.

Guest Andria

Agree, the one Epic Bar I have tried, to date, was VERY good. I tried the Turkey, so far, and have Bison and the Lamb waiting in my pantry.

I feel ya. I didn't want to eat Larabars during my Whole30 at all, but I'm a serious runner (35-55 miles/week) and in my quasi-first-week* I simply couldn't get through long runs without one. I would just buy one en route to my run, though, because I didn't want to have them around the house. Now that I've really got the pre- and post-workout fueling figured out, I think I can do without them (raw cashew butter and pumpkin with cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt tastes good post-run, can be left in the car and eaten cold, and packs a good amount of carbs without triggering that feeling of "eating something sweet"), and I'm hoping not to eat them because it really "feels like cheating." I don't know about you, but the fact that I don't want carbs right now has become something I really, really, really don't want to mess with. 

For "emergency food" I use raw cashew butter packets (Justin's has sugar  :( but Artisana doesn't have any added ingredients), whole avocados, canned meat, baby carrots, that sort of thing. Last night I got home from work and had to quickly make dinner, feed the dog, and go to a Board meeting; I'm leaving town today so didn't have enough food in the fridge to really get enough dinner out of, so I made the four small carrots, the one (smallest, of course) chicken thigh I had left, and the last of the kale (not much, either), and ate the last bit of salmon from the previous night's dinner. Brought a knife, a spoon, and a smidge of salt to my meeting and bought a ripe avocado en route. That worked out great. (Of course, I live in California, so avocados are plentiful and inexpensive.)

Anyway, good for you for dropping Larabars entirely. I hope to follow in your footsteps!

_____

* On August 4 I started "doing a Whole30", but I didn't realize that bacon had sugar in it AND the pre-and post-workout fueling strategy sounded like a lot of work/too many intricate rules. I read It Starts With Food this past weekend, had a bacon awakening, and got my head around the pre-workout snack and post-workout meal. So now I'm actually "in it"— technically on Day 3, I think, but that depends on whether I ate bacon on Sunday or not, and I can't recall.

https://epicbar.com/products.html

The Bison one has brown sugar...didn't check the others out.  

8 gm. sugar = 1 heaping teaspoon

A Carrot Cake Larabar has 24 gm. of sugar

3  heaping teaspoons

Chocolate Coconut Larabar has 29 gm. of sugar

Wow that is crazy.  I was only looking at the ingredients and not the sugar content.  Giving away my Larabars now!

Wow that is crazy.  I was only looking at the ingredients and not the sugar content.  Giving away my Larabars now!

Hols, I've learned to read the fine print.   :D   I may lick the wrappers but I won't eat one until I know what's really in there.    Heck-a-toot, who wants to start over?

The battle is in the mind.  When you're fighting for your mind and body,  ain't no Larabar worth all of our hard work.

Hols, if you'll read Tom's comments about having a really "extra special" breakfast, you'll beat these cravings.   No smoothies, no Larabars.  It will take some extra time out of your routine, but I'm here to testify....it's changed my metabolism.   Call it insulin resistance or metabolic syndrome....I'm smothering that pesky monster.

P.S.  Click on Tom's profile...click on Likes...go through and read all of his comments.  You'll find the ones about the "extra special" breakfast and how it will balance your hormones.  It works, it really works.   Put all of your breakfast items together the night before.   When your feet hit the deck, make your breakfast.   It's going to rock your world.

yoplait.jpg

Yoplait Yogurt, Strawberry
6 oz Container
Sugars, total:        27g
Calories, total:        170
Calories from sugar:    108

A Carrot Cake Larabar has 24 gm. of sugar

3  heaping teaspoons

Chocolate Coconut Larabar has 29 gm. of sugar

Power Bar, Chocolate Peanut Butter
1 bar (65g)
Sugars, total:        23g
Calories, total:        240
Calories from sugar:    92

powerbar.jpg

Hols, I've learned to read the fine print.   :D   I may lick the wrappers but I won't eat one until I know what's really in there.    Heck-a-toot, who wants to start over?

The battle is in the mind.  When you're fighting for your mind and body,  ain't no Larabar worth all of our hard work.

Hols, if you'll read Tom's comments about having a really "extra special" breakfast, you'll beat these cravings.   No smoothies, no Larabars.  It will take some extra time out of your routine, but I'm here to testify....it's changed my metabolism.   Call it insulin resistance or metabolic syndrome....I'm smothering that pesky monster.

P.S.  Click on Tom's profile...click on Likes...go through and read all of his comments.  You'll find the ones about the "extra special" breakfast and how it will balance your hormones.  It works, it really works.   Put all of your breakfast items together the night before.   When your feet hit the deck, make your breakfast.   It's going to rock your world.

Thanks I will do that!  I can already tell that things are changing.  I am having anxiety attacks, (not sure what that is about) but I am also having hot flashes which I didn't even have in menopause.  I think my thyroid is starting to rev up!

I thought the larabars would be great to have as an emergency food when I know I'll be in the car all day. That is until I ate quite a few in one day...while watching t.v.

Anyways, I now only buy one or two at a time and only when I know I'll be on the road. They are not safe for me to keep in the house. Also, I just found some similar bars at Trader Joes but the main ingredient in these are coconut! The one I had was only coconut and apples (no dates or any other sugars). It still had a slight sweetness because of the apple but it was a lot chewer (is that a word?) maybe because of the coconut? This made me feel more full/satisfied than the larabars.

I thought the larabars would be great to have as an emergency food when I know I'll be in the car all day. That is until I ate quite a few in one day...while watching t.v.

Anyways, I now only buy one or two at a time and only when I know I'll be on the road. They are not safe for me to keep in the house. Also, I just found some similar bars at Trader Joes but the main ingredient in these are coconut! The one I had was only coconut and apples (no dates or any other sugars). It still had a slight sweetness because of the apple but it was a lot chewer (is that a word?) maybe because of the coconut? This made me feel more full/satisfied than the larabars.

What is the name of the bar?

Hols1 - It's called Trader Joe's Apple Plus coconut fruit bar. Here's some info I found on-line:

NUTRITION FACTS
Serving size 1 bar (30g)   Value My Daily Value Calories 90 Kcal ?   Calories from Fat 20 Kcal ?   Total Fat 2 g ?   Saturated Fat 2 g ?   Trans Fat 0 g ?   Cholesterol 0 mg ?   Sodium 0 mg ?   Total Carbohydrate 18 g ?   Dietary Fiber 2 g ?   Sugars 11 g ?   Protein 0 g ?   Vitamin A 0 IU ?   Vitamin C 1.2 mg ?   Calcium 0 mg ?   Iron 0.72 mg ?  
INGREDIENTS
apples, coconuts

Hols1 - It's called Trader Joe's Apple Plus coconut fruit bar. Here's some info I found on-line:

NUTRITION FACTS
Serving size 1 bar (30g)   Value My Daily Value Calories 90 Kcal ?   Calories from Fat 20 Kcal ?   Total Fat 2 g ?   Saturated Fat 2 g ?   Trans Fat 0 g ?   Cholesterol 0 mg ?   Sodium 0 mg ?   Total Carbohydrate 18 g ?   Dietary Fiber 2 g ?   Sugars 11 g ?   Protein 0 g ?   Vitamin A 0 IU ?   Vitamin C 1.2 mg ?   Calcium 0 mg ?   Iron 0.72 mg ?  
INGREDIENTS
apples, coconuts

Thanks!  I was at TJ's over the weekend but didn't see anything with that name but I'll keep looking!

Archived