Starting on 1st September

Pedro Pinto

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Angelina - I am very sorry to hear about your cat. Losing a pet is always horrible. I would be struggling not to reach for comfort food in your situation, and hope you can stay strong.

As for the vegetarianism, I don't know what to suggest. I hope you find a way to be ok with it, because this program is supposed to be about a healthy relationship with food. I wonder if they allow Quorn or other vegetarian products that aren't Soy based?

*hug for you too Angelina* it's hard losing our furry loved ones.

We had a photo album made for a friend recently, I'm not sure what it's called, but you make it online and they post it out, with the photos on the pages. It's a nice way to remember all of the wonderful times. 

Day 2.....

So far so good, was a little bit hungry yesterday and it will be hard to get back on track to the three meals again!

But I am ready to do this and get back some of the energy that I had lost after my first Whole 30.

Sorry to hear about your cat Angelina, they do bring so much to our lives.... animals that is! Our dog Joey is the light of everyone in our household and it will be sad when he is gone so my :wub: heart does go out to you!

I just try to keep things simple when doing the Whole 30, nothing really complex....... this works for me.

Have a great day everyone and good luck on Day 2! :)

Started Whole 30 yesterday and this will be my second round (last round was May 2013). In the first round I discovered that gluten made my tummy blow up like Santa's bowl full of jelly. This time I'm looking at why I can't seem to lose the weight. I'm looking to break some old food habits and finally solve the nutrition puzzle I'm dealing with.

I can't stress meal planning on Whole 30 enough!!! I lasted all 30 days last time and meal planning was my saving grace. That plus having a few grab-and-go meals (like tuna, carrots, avocado, and balsamic vinegar) also helped. My husband is going to match me for Whole 30 dinners so we aren't making too many different meals in the evening. He wanted to do the entire program with me but I told him only one of us can be a cranky B at a time!

Hi! I Switched my start date to today... I don't know if there's an 'actual' group spot that I need to go to, but I am definitely excited... I basically ate the whole30 way yesterday... but Today is the FIRST DAY.... about to eat lunch... and so far so good. I'm sure to feel maybe a little bit differently in a few days? but I am so excited! :lol:

Made a trip to Trader Joes and my haul included:

Chili Lime Chicken Burgers

Roasted red pepper and onion mix

Raw cashews

Dried mango (ie food crack)

Dried New Zealand Apple rings (more dried food crack)

Salsa Verde sauce (hoping to pair with chicken at some point)

Marinara sauce (the green label canned version is Whole 30 compliant)

Roasted tomatillo salsa

Garlic Herb Sausages

Smoked Chardonnay Sausages

All Whole 30 compliant and foods I can use for quick meals.

Made a trip to Trader Joes and my haul included:

Chili Lime Chicken Burgers

Roasted red pepper and onion mix

Raw cashews

Dried mango (ie food crack)

Dried New Zealand Apple rings (more dried food crack)

Salsa Verde sauce (hoping to pair with chicken at some point)

Marinara sauce (the green label canned version is Whole 30 compliant)

Roasted tomatillo salsa

Garlic Herb Sausages

Smoked Chardonnay Sausages

All Whole 30 compliant and foods I can use for quick meals.

Checking on the Smoked Chardonnay Sausage: if it contains chardonnay (or any alcohol) it's not compliant.

Thanks everyone for your lovely words... The house feels empty, and we're missing our little friend.

On Wednesday the fishmongers come to our village, so it's fresh fish day. But I also went to the organic store on the way and bought some 'comfort food' - a lovely, round pumpkin. We ate it all, and feel good that despite this emotional challenge, we're doing ok. 

Thankyou praxisproject  - yes, it's the wonderful thing about ethically eating and farming - farmers have great, great love for their animals. The Hindu trinity is Brahma (the creator) - Vishnu (the preserver) and Shiva (the destroyer), and I think in the Yoga world there is perhaps too much emphasis on the creator and preserver aspects, without really wanting to own that 'destroyer' part of us which is a necessary part of the cycle of continuous life.

One of my brothers raises poddy calves in Australia. Loves them to death, and makes sure he's not around when the truck arrives to take them away. 

Here, we're lucky to have a gorgeous organic farm nearby where we can source our beef, and we know exactly how they are raised.

Happy Day 3 everyone!

So glad for the Whole30 Timeline http://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/

It's keeping me moving forward...left...right...left...right

Day One was great

Day 2 was Awful- hung over & stupid from my pre-Whole30 carb feast(S)!  It really wasn't worth feeling like this!

Day 3 - kinda like Day 2 but with Sweet Grief kicking in....I HATE PLAIN WATER but hope I learn to love it since it's pretty much all there is to drink. Dressing it up with a thin fruit slice just makes me mad.  No likeee Coffee & tea without sweetener either.  Guess what happens when you drop a date into a cup of tea?  NOTHING GOOD, no need to try it.

After connecting the dots on artificial sweeteners including Stevia, and knowing they are not harmless substitutes for sugar, I KNOW having it in ALL of the liquids I drink (64+ oz a day) cannot be good for me over the long haul.  They must go.

But I don't have to be happy about it or like the alternatives.  THEY MUST GO ANYWAY.

Looking forward to completing this day 3!  This is my 2nd W30 round this year..First one was Jan/Feb.  Felt great, boundless energy, and I loved the food, although it was a bit daunting the first 1.5 weeks….. then you get the hang of it and it all seems to click!  My big downfall is cream in my coffee and cheese, however I  know I can live without it (did it before) and I feel all the better taking it out of my diet!  Thanks in advance for the support and ideas!   

Nowiswhen, I'm coffee-free for this Whole30 experiment - which was never much anyway - but we are drinking a cup of Chicory coffee with breakfast. No sugars or milk obviously, and when your tastebuds accomodate, you'll love that bitter taste. Mid afternoon I'm either having another Chicory coffee, or a herbal tea concoction which I make with fennel seeds, a couple of spikes of star anise, two or three cloves, a tiny piece of cinnamon stick and maybe a little raw licorice root. It's lovely, refreshing, spicy. I have one of those tea strainers that you clip open and shut, and so just make the mix as I wish. Cammomile tea before going to bed.

Good luck!

Checking on the Smoked Chardonnay Sausage: if it contains chardonnay (or any alcohol) it's not compliant.

I looked at the ingredients and here they are:

Chicken, dehydrated apple, contains less than 2% of salt, roasted onion, celery juice powder, white pepper, nutmeg, thyme, ginger, chardonnay, rosemary, in a natural pork casing.

So yes, there is chardonnay which makes it not Whole 30 compliant. Aargh! Thanks GFChris or I would've screwed up my plan!

The Garlic Herb ones are: Chicken, contains less than 2% of salt, parsley, basil, roasted onions, roasted garlic, celery juice powder, marjoram, oregano, black pepper, white pepper, in a natural pork casing.

At least I have one option. I'll just freeze the others until after the program.

Day 3 and what a day!

Slept in :blink: ..... have not slept like that in a long time, alarm did not go off.

So rushed, rushed.... thank goodness I made a number of things on Monday....

So off I went to work (had to be there as I had a meeting in the morning), so I quickly made a black coffee, had my breakfast already premade, so I ate that on the way to work. 

Good thing my lunch was packed the night before...... so all in all I am feeling ok, a little bit of a brain fog (remember that is how I felt last time).

nowiswhen..... I hear you about the drinking, I think that, that is / was the hardest for me. I loved my coffee in the morning with of course cream..... although I do not really enjoy it black I have learnt to like it and I just drink one cup.

I do put lemon in my water and have gotten use to it but sometimes I do wish that I had something else.

I do make herbal tea (I mix it strong) and cool it and mix this with ice, cool tea and sparkling water...... I have learnt to adjust..... but drinking more water is sooooooooooooooooooooo beneficial ! or that is what I keep telling myself! :lol:

Other than that hope everyone's Day 3 is going great! :P

Hi everyone,

Day 5! How's it going for everyone?

Day 4 -  the inflammation had gone from my wrists and lower arms.

Day 5 - the inflammation has gone from my middle right finger. 

This is not unusual - it comes and goes and travels around - but what I'm hoping to find out from the Whole30 is exactly what - or what combination of things - is/are causing the inflammation. If I find by the end of the month I'm Inflammation Free I'll be soooo happy.

Hips have been quite sore - and my right hip was very sore by the time I got home after class last night - but today it is not bad at all.

Really, really hoping that this is going to give my connective tissues the chance to do their healing from all the auto-immunity problems over the last 2 years. 

Fiorenzo had a headache the first couple of days, but nothing tragic. His sugar reduction has been more dramatic than mine. Even though he's not a big drinker, alcohol is so tied up with concepts of masculinity that taking this step to not have a drop for a month is fantastic. He wants to ditch the life-long acid reflux issue.

We're still enjoying the novelty of being on the program, and motivating each other.

Would love to know how you are all doing,

Best wishes,

Angie

Archived