Paleo after Whole30

ashbeeigh

Hey everyone!

TOday is Day 31 of my Whole30 and I did like most people did, and splurged a little today (and who wouldn't with it being the day before Thanksgiving?). Prior to today I had made plans to continue with a paleo style diet after I finished my 40 days. Needless to say, after feeling just icky after indulging in a potato and egg and bacon and egg breakfast tacos and a chocolate chip m&m cookie I decided that I do indeed need to continue on with something paleo related. I will try to work on the reintroduction as outlined in ISWF (after Thanksgiving....), but thinking ahead...do any of you have any tips on transitioning into a paleo diet after your Whole30? What types of things did you add to your diet? Not even touch? How did it go? I tried to google search this and also checked the forum, but most of the things i find are people who already ate paleo and then tried a whole30.

Thanks y'all and have a great long weekend!

• Administrators

It might be irritating to hear, but there is no answer to your "what types of things did you add to your diet" question.  Mostly because we are all individual little snowflakes and what might be worth it to me is disgusting to you and what you might be able to tolerate easily is like arsenic to me.

You have to assess what is worth it and reasonable for YOU to add back in based on your life and your likes and your tolerances.

Sorry!

PS...for me personally I cannot have even a grain of sugar without being completely consumed by the addiction to it.  I drink wine about once a month and I never eat dairy because my body rejects it.  See?  Useless info to you, LOL! 

Good luck with your reintros and happy Thanksgiving! 

This is where riding your own bike comes in. Post-Thanksgiving, depending on how much you eat off-plan that day, resume Whole30 eating until you feel as good as you did on day 30. Then do controlled reintroductions per the recommended protocol. Based on your results, decide how you want to eat going forward.

PS...for me personally I cannot have even a grain of sugar without being completely consumed by the addiction to it.  I drink wine about once a month and I never eat dairy because my body rejects it.  See?  Useless info to you, LOL! 

This is the kind of stuff I was looking for. Of course there won't be a one fit for all type of diet, but maybe more experience is what I'm looking for. Thank you for your response!

This is where riding your own bike comes in. Post-Thanksgiving, depending on how much you eat off-plan that day, resume Whole30 eating until you feel as good as you did on day 30. Then do controlled reintroductions per the recommended protocol. Based on your results, decide how you want to eat going forward.

Ahhh riding bikes. Something that is on my to do list. :)

It's so different for everyone and it takes time. Love the snowflake theory. I have discovered that dairy and any type of sugar will do damage to me faster than anything. But, it took me a year to come to terms with those foods because I love a good breve latte....until it made me sick when I had one after eating from the template for a week. Had no idea.

Legumes not so much. I generally stay away from non-naturally occurring carbs. But, everyone is very different. 

I was very loose primal before whole30, then I discovered after that milk and I REALLY do not get on  :(

Now I eat pretty close to low-FODMAP whole30, with occasional added sweeteners/baking. My list of "food worth cheating for" is growing shorter and shorter, and usually consists of high FODMAP whole30 allowed food, rather than non-whole30 food

Being a sugar addict, I consider paleo too permissive.  I would be right back up on that sugar dragon using honey as a sweetner (remember I'm the one that used to pop the lid of the little honey bear and fill up my mouth with honey whenever I had a sugar craving and couldn't find anything else to eat.)

And I'd be eating a paleo dessert every night.  It wouldn't be pretty!

I was mostly paleo before doing a W30 and found that I didn't really want to go back.  The main thing I've added back after my W30 is beer and some cream in my tea.  But other than that, I'm pretty compliant most of the time.  I have found that eating this way has helped my sugar addiction as well as stablized my blood sugar (I used to have big swings/crashes.)  So I'm not too inclined to go back!  Why change if it works!!

• 3 weeks later...

I am paleo after Whole30. I did follow primal before anything.

I basically stay away from grains, alcohol, processed sugar, rice, beans, occasionally add milk, no cheese, I added cauliflower rice and coconut aminos for flavour

Reintroductions are different for everyone :)

I thought I'd be fine with gluten and dairy my first reintro, boy was I wrong!

I've found a few things that I never eat now: gluten, carrageenan. I almost never eat dairy, legumes and corn, as when I do, I generally regret it. I rarely drink and if I do I try to stick to fermented gluten free cider. I try to avoid artificial sweeteners completely, aspartame and splenda especially as I've found they mess with both my weight and my blood sugar.

I keep sugary things to a minimum so I don't wake the sugar dragon (mine can be really cranky, and then so am I  :o - and then, so are my loved ones, eep!) Too many dates are a downfall for me, but I also find that the better my health gets, the more stable my blood sugar.

It's good to know what works for you, what makes you feel well, sick or just a bit off. Anything that's a trigger for other things (for me, too little sleep and I'll eat almost anything, my brain just fails at good decision making when I'm tired and hungry).

• Moderators

I definitely recommend doing the re-intro for everything you intend or might decide to eat later. I didn't do the reintros after my first Whole30 because I didn't want to eat anything off plan yet. The trouble with that is, there will be an occasion where you decide to eat an off-plan food, and it probably won't be just one of the things you eliminated, it'll be dairy + gluten + sugar, most likely. And then you won't know.

I did reintro dairy and glad I did - my stomach was not happy with it at all. I could hardly believe it. Would've sworn up and down that dairy didn't "bother" me pre-W30.

It took me 3 rounds of Whole30 to get a handle on my sugar dragon, and even now, a little here and there can quickly morph into "whoops I've had sweets the last 4 days in a row."

Gluten I seem to be able to get away with and suffer only very mild stomach issues, but ONLY if it's extremely infrequent, like maybe once a month AND if I've been eating pretty clean otherwise.

Alcohol can be a slippery slope like sugar. After each Whole30 I've done it's gotten easier to choose wisely/drink occasionally and not have it turn into 4 glasses in a night or a daily habit.

Soy sauce gave me a pounding heart for 4 hours. It was definitely NOT worth it.

Those are my personal experiences. But like Melissa Hartwig, I find I learn a little more about myself each time I do a Whole30!

Archived