Fruit juice as sweetener = feeding the sugar dragon?

sevensundrops

OK so I've been posting questions like a madwoman so I hope everyone's not sick of seeing my name.

Anyway, I dipped my toes into Whole30 condiments by making compliant mayo and ordering a couple of products from Tessemae's. I hated all of the above. I'm really frustrated and want to make something fun and interesting. I've always adored BBQ sauce and I'd like to make some to go with my compliant chicken nuggets.

I finally found a recipe that doesn't call for date paste, rather the sweetener is fresh orange juice. I'm scared to death of feeding my raving sugar addiction. (We're talking serious, here). Do you think this will be a problem? 

Thank you all for helping me out. :-)

• Moderators

There are definitely Whole30 compliant barbecue sauces, and they're sweetened with fruit of some sort -- dates, cherries, orange juice.  (Actually, I think there are some that aren't sweetened at all, but I'm from Texas where we do a sweet/spicy/thick barbecue sauce, and this vinegary stuff that some people say is bbq is just more than I can wrap my head around.)

Only you can say how you'll react to them as far as your sugar dragon. If you have some sauce in a meal with plenty of protein, fat, and veggies, I would think you'd be okay, but I don't actually know you, so if you feel like you wouldn't be okay with it, you may be right.

I will tell you from my own experience that while it is definitely okay to revamp your favorite foods from pre-Whole30 (except pancakes and bread and muffins, obviously), sometimes it can be disappointing. Early in a W30, your taste buds may not have changed much, and if the barbecue sauce you're used to is really sweet, you may find the barbecue sauce you make now disappointing. It might ultimately be easier to keep trying new and different things that you have no expectations for.

What didn't you like about the mayo? Could you thin it with vinegar and coconut milk and add some herbs and spices and turn it into a salad dressing? Which Tessemae's products did you order -- I've heard their ranch is very different than ranch you might be used to eating. I loved their lemon-garlic, I think it was. Something lemony, anyway. Great on salad and on cooked veggies and even on chicken that I overcooked to the point it was dry. Even if you don't like the ones you have as salad dressing, maybe they'd be good as marinades for meat.

Can I ask what type of oil did you use for your mayo?  If you used extra virgin olive oil - then it's no wonder why you didn't like it.  I did use EVOO the first time I made mayo and it was a bitter, gloopy mess.  Tossed the entire thing.

As Shannon says above - sometimes when you make your own condiments - they don't land up tasting quite like you are used to.  I would maybe make the original recipe as written - maybe using less juice than what is called for.  (You can always add it later if it doesn't taste right.)

I encourage you not to over think this thing too much.  Relax and enjoy the learning curve.

I also have a raving sugar dragon so I've eliminated fruit for this whole 30, even with meals and even cooked in with food. I'm drawing the line at citrus. So I'd go with orange juice in a sauce or dressing (squeezed from the fruit not poured from a carton). And actually I've made a fig sweetened ketchup that doesn't spark any cravings at all. It doesn't make the sauce sweet so much as just edible iykwim.

I don't think I'm masking a sugar craving by sneaking orange juice into BBQ sauce. But after some discussion on another thread at the start of my W30 (this is day 7) then I decided that I would not consume any sugar at all, even in fresh fruit. I'm afraid that this is really just my cravings... But I do LOVE BBQ sauce... Agh this is so hard. :-(

I guess the question then is why do you love BBQ sauce? Is it for the sweet kick - in which case maybe eliminate it for this round. Or do you just like something tangy and saucy on your food - in which case either go ahead and try the recipe ( watching out for cravings after) or make another compliant tangy sauce. Loads of recipes in well fed and well fed 2

I like BBQ sauce for the taste! ;) 

I ended up making one with applesauce. For some reason psychologically that didn't strike me as sweetening with fruit. Probably because it added texture so it was clearly an ingredient and not a sweetener. It was SOOO good! It definitely didn't taste just like the bottled stuff, but it was delicious on its own! It was very very spicy too which helped quell the feeling that I was eating something with sugar.

In fact, I couldn't stop tasting it! I'm worried though - do y'all think that was because I was looking for a sugar hit, however small? I'm kind of getting into this paranoid puritan mindset now where I can't eat anything that tastes good or comforting or "normal" because I'm afraid of creating an unhealthy response. Is anyone else getting this?!

• Administrators

Slow it on down there.  There is no reason that you cannot enjoy how food tastes.  I often lick the inside of the magic bullet when I make Sunshine Sauce because it just tastes so damn good. Aside from a possible tongue injury, there is nothing wrong with that. If you liked the bbq sauce and it was scrumptious and lit up your taste buds then that is totally fine.

Last night we made a moroccan pork dish and it was SOOO good I wanted to keep eating it beyond satisfaction (I didn't).  Not because it was doing anything bad to me but because the flavour was comforting and warm and delicious.

Don't make yourself crazy.  The simple fact of it is that we are eating delicious real food.  Don't let 3 tbsp of applesauce in a bbq sauce make you crazy. 

Haha thanks! I think I'm probably driving myself insane. :-P Not the goal of the Whole30, I'm sure...

It was a whole cup, though! I hope that's OK!

Btw I ate foods (multiple times) that contained chicory root... I thought that was a nut (maybe I'm stupid I don't know) and ate it!! I just found out

it's a sweetener!! Do I need to start over? I think I'll have a heart attack if I have to start over. :-(

Archived