Good black coffee?

alysha

On my eighth day, and going strong. The only thing I really miss is my morning coffee, which I used to drink with coffee mate and splenda. I'm not too keen on the idea of black coffee, so I haven't had any so far. I do feel better not relying on coffee to wake up in the AM, but some very, very early meetings lately can make mornings brutal, regardless of how much sleep I've gotten. I've heard that drinking "good" coffee makes drinking it black much more pleasant. Anyone have experience with this?

Any suggestions on what "good" coffee I could try?

I think your best bet for "good coffee" is to find a local roaster, or failing that, and independant coffee shop, and ask them for suggestions. Good ones will be able to give you a few good ideas based on what you think you like.

Hey there - just wanted to chime in and say that I used to drink all kinds of crap in my coffee (before starting the Whole30, it was primarily almond milk with stevia, but I was also partial to soy/skim and Splenda), and what I noticed was that after a few days of giving my tastebuds a break from unnaturally sweet things, I LOVED the way my black coffee tasted. (Actually, everything tastes better!)

You don't need anything fancy - I'd recommend starting with a basic breakfast blend at the grocery store, grinding the beans before you buy them (or at home, if you have a grinder) and making yourself a nice, strong cup (the general rule of thumb is ~2 tbs grounds per 6 oz water in a drip machine).

Black coffee, once you get used to it, is SO much better than the "whitened" variety.

Coffee snob here ;) I would suggest looking into a good brewing method. I love cold-brewed coffee; it has far less acidity than heat brewing and is mellow and smooth. The other way I brew is in my Chemex. It has a thick filter that absorbs a lot of the oils that make coffee bitter and it produces a really clean cup. This is how I cold brew, this is how to use a Chemex. I get my beans from a local roaster and grind them at home (freshly ground is key!), I like central American beans and I look for a "full city" roast (lighter roasts don't have enough flavor, darker gets burnt tasting). Finally, try adding a pinch of salt, trick I learned from Alton Brown. It can offset the bitterness the way that sugar does. And I love the coconut creamer from Following My Nose (recipe), I made it with melted cocoa butter instead of coconut oil so it has a sort of white chocolatey taste.

I tried a bunch of different coffees when I was drinking it black. I like Specialty Java coffee. They roast it the same day it is shipped. For drinking it black, I like their organic Columbian. My other favorites are New York, New York, and Smooth Jazz.

www.specialtyjava.com

Coffee snob here ;) I would suggest looking into a good brewing method. I love cold-brewed coffee; it has far less acidity than heat brewing and is mellow and smooth. The other way I brew is in my Chemex. It has a thick filter that absorbs a lot of the oils that make coffee bitter and it produces a really clean cup. This is how I cold brew, this is how to use a Chemex. I get my beans from a local roaster and grind them at home (freshly ground is key!), I like central American beans and I look for a "full city" roast (lighter roasts don't have enough flavor, darker gets burnt tasting). Finally, try adding a pinch of salt, trick I learned from Alton Brown. It can offset the bitterness the way that sugar does. And I love the coconut creamer from Following My Nose (recipe), I made it with melted cocoa butter instead of coconut oil so it has a sort of white chocolatey taste.

I was going to suggest cold brew as well. I've only cold brewed a few times but loved it. Thanks for the other tips too "thingsimakemyhusband" love it!

The best way to get a good cup of coffee is to grind your own beans and use a french press. Yes, it's more work, but it's worth it. My husband has been doing this for years(he even roasts his own beans) and once you get used to the full bodied flavor of french press coffee, you'll never want to drink anything else. Having said that, I always put almond milk and splenda in my coffee. Today I had a cup of coffee with only almond milk(unsweetened). It was a little weird, but I was able to appreciate the flavor of the coffee. When it's done right, it's not bitter and makes it all the more enjoyable.

I really enjoy having a black iced coffee with coconut milk from Starbucks. I've started purchasing their iced coffee blend, having them grind and then making my iced coffees myself at home/work. I love their coffees. You can find them at Costco in bulk.

Make sure you specify UNSWEETENDED when you order. The default on Starbucks iced coffee is with a pump of classic syrup.

ALSO-- you can get the Iced Coffee blend (it's a medium roast) in stores. Super good cold-brewed and with coconut milk!

I considered Starbucks iced coffee, but I haven't been able to find the unsweetened kind in stores. I will have to check out Costco!

Alysha, I buy their "Iced Coffee Blend" all the time. I have them grind it for a French Press and then use my french press at home to make the coffee. It's delicious. Sometimes I blend in some coconut milk when the coffee is still hot and sometimes I don't. It's good either way.

I love good coffee and after decades of cream and sweetener in my coffee it was quite an adjustment to drink it black. Used to need it super, super fresh and would always ask for a smooth, mild blend. I would explain I wanted coffee with no bitter aftertaste since I was new to drinking it black. That was February...

Fast forward to this evening, 7 months later. Went to IHOP with the family. Not hungry, so I ate a hard-boiled egg that came with my daughter's meal. And I drank the IHOP decaf coffee. Black. I honestly enjoyed it and it was certainly not gourmet coffee. :)

My taste buds have certainly adapted to enjoy so many new foods and beverages since I started eating this way.

I too just started...and didn't think I could drink my coffee black. What I've been doing is drinking a little each day. For example, on day one I had one or two sips (thought yuck). Then increased it to a few more sips everyday...today (day 8) I had about 3/4 of a cup! I think if you start slow, you will get used to the taste (even if I do think it's pretty bitter!).

I had my first two EVER cups of black coffee this morning! I followed StuffIMakeMyHusband (I think I love you!) recipe and it actually tastes pretty good! I do somewhat miss cream in it and definitely will probably always miss sugar but I drank it! I can learn to like this! I want to get some better coffee for it but didn't want to splurge for the first attempt in case I hated it. Mine did have some grounds/silt in it but I have a filter from an old coffee maker and poured it through that and it fixed it!

Thank you sooooo much for this. It will make my Whole30 that much better!

So, I figured coffee (a subject near and dear to my heart - any many others I know) was a good place to fire off my first Whole30 post. I'll add another vote for finding a local roaster and using a french press (or Chemex, or other good single-cup brewing method). A lot of the better local roasters provide tasting notes comparable to a wine tasting, which I found helpful in finding beans that work for me without cream. I'm only on day five of this, but with I find with high-end coffee (snob alert - Starbucks is most assuredly NOT high end) I'm beginning to detect a lot of subtleties that wasn't able to taste when I used cream (um, yeah, I also may be compensating for not being able to drink wine).

If you live somewhere where you're lucky just to have a Starbucks, there are speciality roasters from whom you can buy online. I'll pimp a couple of my local favorites - http://www.barefootcoffee.com/ and http://www.philzcoffee.com/

• 2 years later...
  • Administrators

So, how long did it take for your taste buds to taste the natural sweetness in foods? This question is for anyone that cares to answer. I'm on Day 8.

I personally cut out all fruit in January in order to quell a particularly nasty Sugar Dragon (this is a personal preference, not a Whole30 dictate) and now I find things like fruits to be quite jarring to my palette.  My husband threw a half a banana into my bag this morning and at first when I saw it you'd have thought it was a Lindt chocolate easter bunny, I was so excited.  LOL.  Alas, after I ate my lunch I wasn't hungry enough to eat it so it's still sitting here.

When you cut out overly sweet things for long enough, even naturally sweet things can seem very much overly sweetened.

• Moderators

Good suggestions in this thread. One word of caution, the Following my Nose recipe in StuffIMakeMyHusband's comment would not be Whole30 compliant. It contains vanilla. Additionally, this would fall under SWYPO:

*A few off-limits foods that fall under this rule include pancakes, bread, tortillas, biscuits, muffins, cupcakes, cookies, pizza crust, waffles, cereal, potato chips, French fries, and this one recipe where eggs, date paste, and coconut milk are combined with prayers to create a thick, creamy concoction that can once again transform your undrinkable black coffee into sweet, dreamy caffeine. However, this list is not limited to these items—there may be other foods that you find are not psychologically healthy for your Whole30. Use your best judgment with those foods that aren’t on this list, but that you suspect are not helping you change your habits or break those cravings.

For more, see: http://whole30.com/2011/10/sex-with-your-pants-on/

Archived