"Stupid Girl Moment" - Need a loving knock in the head from the ladies&

baltomom86

OK... so what I call a "stupid girl moment" is when I revert from my 29 year old self to my 17 year old self - a time of life when I was (like so many others) all too body conscious. 

I was reading one of my favorite blogs the other day when I came across an article about fitness posts on Instagram. Not being a social media person, I instantly googled it and found all of these pictures of super hot babes - 6 packs, long legs, perky breasts... you get the picture. I suppose for many this is inspiring, but for me, depressing.  As an apple shaped person I carry my weight on my midsection rather than butt and thighs, so these pictures just triggered all sorts of unpleasant feelings within myself. Plus I have my period. $(!&**&%$@^

My M2 today was dried figs and almond butter... clearly I am emotional right now. I would love some positive reinforcement and a reminder about how all that is garbage if you all are able. Thanks!! 

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrators

OK... so what I call a "stupid girl moment" is when I revert from my 29 year old self to my 17 year old self - a time of life when I was (like so many others) all too body conscious. 

I was reading one of my favorite blogs the other day when I came across an article about fitness posts on Instagram. Not being a social media person, I instantly googled it and found all of these pictures of super hot babes - 6 packs, long legs, perky breasts... you get the picture. I suppose for many this is inspiring, for me, depressing.  As an apple shaped person I carry my weight on my midsection rather than butt and thighs, so these pictures just triggered all sorts of unpleasant feelings within myself. Plus I have my period. $(!&**&%$@^

My M2 today was dried figs and almond butter... clearly I am emotional right now. I would love some positive reinforcement and a reminder about how all that is garbage if you all are able. Thanks!! 

it IS all garbage!  Absolute and utter trash.  Go eat some protein, first of all.  You'll feel better.  Second, I think I read that article yesterday although I can't just quite remember which blog it was from!  Basically they said that thin is being traded for "fit" as the new ideal body type and that it's still terrible for women's self image.  Unless we all have the exact same genetics, we can't all have the same style of body. Truly.  It's like me wishing for long, thick, lustrous dark hair.  Ya, wish away, not going to happen. Is the hair in a shampoo commercial the ideal? Yep, probably.  My thin, frizzy red hair definitely isn't.  But it's mine and all the wishing in the world isn't going to change that.  Hair dye, chemicals, more chemicals, extensions etc would but that isn't healthy or sustainable and I would never get the result I'm actually after.  Now equate that to your body.  Extreme calorie restriction, crazy exercise, chemicals, more chemicals, self abuse might get you there but you would never get the result you're actually after.  Health.  Calm.  Content.  Happy.  That all exists when you stop trying to trade beautiful you for photoshopped them.

I feel better already. Thanks guys! Ya I know. Truth be told, thank goodness I am a very health and fit person and I don't need to worry about weight loss. Most of the time I feel great when I look in the mirror, but that article in combination with my period, which renders me emotionally vulnerable and bloated, transported me back to teenage years (emo/psych wise). This summer I am going to take a core class, because after the birth of my children my abdominal muscles are pretty weak, which can lead to urinary incontinence later in life. So I do have a plan. Plus I'm doing my second W30 which is awesome because my first one was a wonderful experience.  

You do you, or me do me, I do I? Whatever... you get the picture. 

Paint your toenails and buy a new pair of sandals that show off your toes.  You can't compare yourself to anyone out there in celebrity/fantasy land.  Buy a pretty pair of sunglasses.   I bought 3 pairs yesterday.  One is bright yellow with butterflies.

Stop eating dried fruits and nut butter combos.heart_smiley.gif   Eat real food proteins and good dietary fats.  They'll put pep in your step and the smile back on your face. sunny.gif

Oh Baltomom!

I can so relate to this.  I am tallish, (5'9") and stocky (I have an inseam of 30.5").  I am a combination of being large boned, relatively muscular, with an nice insulating cover of fat. 

To be considered "in proportion" we are supposed to be the same height as our arm span.  Well according to this tidbit of information - I should be 5'3".

There is nothing, I mean NOTHING I can do about the above (okay *maybe* the fat thing).  I will never have a thigh gap (I was actually fascinated that this was a *thing*).  In fact my legs touch from top right down to my ankles.  I actually laughed when I noticed this. I will also never be a size 6 or a size eight. (well at least if I chose to remain healthy)  This is FACT.

Every so often when I come across one of these articles my brain goes into that exact 17 yo self phase where I don't understand or accept any of these things.  These types of articles count on this.  They want to gear it towards that very insecure part of us.  Best thing to do is tell yourself that you have a amazing body that can do amazing things!  You can name names when you do this.

To be considered "in proportion" we are supposed to be the same height as our arm span.  Well according to this tidbit of information - I should be 5'3".

You realise we're all gonna be trying this now, right?  :P

Lol. She has a cartoon saying if you're legs touch you are one step closer to being a mermaid. Hysterical!!!

The thing is dudes don't care about this crap. Like, checking out T&A I hear, but thigh gap? Give me a break!

Absolutely.  I learned a long time ago that men honestly don't care about HALF the things women obsess about their bodies.  The only question they ask themselves is - do they like "it" - the answer can only be yes or no.  That's it.

Women are the ones pressuring each other because of our competitive nature.  We always have to "look better" than someone else - and if we don't - then all hell brakes loose in our brain.  I still have this issue with my sister in law.  Somewhere I feel inadequate around her because we both lost around the same amount of weight - 35lbs.  However she is a size 4/6 and I am a size 14/16.  Now I know it comes down to the facts I mentioned above.  But somewhere in my brain - I pout and say it's not fair and that I must be doing something wrong, and I need to do better.  But then I at some point I come back down to reality and realize that she comes from a completely different background, and is a completely different bone structure, and a completely different height.  So it is impossible for me to compare myself with her.  

In the end all that matter is - am I loved?  I can honestly answer with conviction - Yes.  And that is all that matters.

By the way I gave my scale to my mom tonight and she put it in her trunk.

I'm interested to hear how that conversation went - my mum would be rolling her eyes at me & telling my dad when she got home that I clearly have issues....  :lol:

Okay ladies, I am about to rock your world. Thigh gap is already very last season in the world of starving teenagers  B)  (no offense naturally slim people and those who are coming from some sort of disordered eating). 

New thing is...ready...bikini bridge. I laughed my head off when I learned about that.  

• Administrators

Okay ladies, I am about to rock your world. Thigh gap is already very last season in the world of starving teenagers  B)  (no offense naturally slim people and those who are coming from some sort of disordered eating). 

New thing is...ready...bikini bridge. I laughed my head off when I learned about that.  

What the eff is a bikini bridge??!  Do I even want to know?

Archived